Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 35 invisible), 1622 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1973558 - 10/15/12 12:04 PM Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Just upgraded from a Yamaha YPG-235 and got my MP10, but I'm disappointed by the music stand. The paper doesn't sit flat on it but instead curves down at the bottom, and now all my sheet music becomes curled at the end. Also, three sheets barely fit on the stand if I overlap the margins. And most annoyingly, the music falls off the stand at the slightest touch due to the curving. How could this be bundled with a $2500 instrument?

Here's some pictures of the unboxing (in my tiny messy cramped dorm room) and my setup in general. I got some floorstanding speakers off Craigslist for really cheap and finally made good use of all my textbooks smile

https://plus.google.com/photos/113939095...=CMz-uujJ-Jq5bQ

Here's pictures of the stand:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113939095...=CJGqgf_K57v9cQ

I do have room behind the keyboard for a regular music stand I guess, since my floorstanding speakers are there.

Interesting enough, I find myself liking the builtin DP sound rather than the Ivory II American Concert D on these speakers at least. The midrange keys are much clearer while on the American Concert D they don't stand out when playing other notes.

Also -- anyone know if the wood panels at the side can be removed? I can barely fit the piano in my room right now and had to raise it up pretty high to get it to clear my desk. The wooden panels seem to not serve any purpose other than decorative and are about an inch thick.

edit: Took a high-res in-focus picture of the stand: http://i.imgur.com/50lSM.jpg

Edited by Allan W. (10/15/12 01:57 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1973604 - 10/15/12 01:42 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Allan W.
Just upgraded from a Yamaha YPG-235 and got my MP10, but I'm disappointed by the music stand. The paper doesn't sit flat on it but instead curves down at the bottom, and now all my sheet music becomes curled at the end. Also, three sheets barely fit on the stand if I overlap the margins. And most annoyingly, the music falls off the stand at the slightest touch due to the curving. How could this be bundled with a $2500 instrument?

That is one weird music rest! Seems designed expressly to curl paper and give you gray hair.

#1973778 - 10/15/12 08:31 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Allan W.,

Wow, that dorm room takes me back...

The MP10 music stand is the same unit as that included with the MP6, ES7, and previous generation MP/ES models. It's designed to be strong and reasonably lightweight.

I believe most music stands are intended for score books, rather than single sheets of paper. Years ago, I would play Scott Joplin rags on our family upright using scores photocopied onto single sheets of paper. On its own, the paper would bend and slide down the music rest, however when propped-up with some score books behind it, would remain in position. Perhaps you can try the same trick?

Originally Posted By: Allan W.
Also -- anyone know if the wood panels at the side can be removed? I can barely fit the piano in my room right now and had to raise it up pretty high to get it to clear my desk. The wooden panels seem to not serve any purpose other than decorative and are about an inch thick.

The wooden side panels can be removed, however I would not recommend doing so as I believe they provide support and stability, and essentially hold the instrument together.

Anyway, congratulations on your MP10, and best of luck with your studies!

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: The ES7 music stand is a slightly different fit and cannot be used with the MP6/MP10.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1973782 - 10/15/12 08:37 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
That is one weird music rest! Seems designed expressly to curl paper and give you gray hair.

How does it compare with your RD-700NX's music rest?

#1973786 - 10/15/12 08:43 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I use a clip board to keep single sheets in place. Another idea for you. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1973805 - 10/15/12 09:24 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have an MP8, which has the same music rest. I got annoyed with it after a short period of time and bought a piece of black foamboard (the stuff people use for posters and science fairs). About two inches from the edge I cut it half way through so I could bend it to make a horizontal surface for the music. Then I put a strip of shelf liner on the horizontal part. I put it on top of the music rest that comes with it. It looked great and could hold like 5 or 6 sheets (maybe more...I don't recall). If you have a heavy book you can put it on this in the middle or just remove the foamboard.

These days I just have a 28-inch computer monitor sitting on top of my piano and all my stuff is in pdf form (I scan things that I have on paper). Paper is overrated.

As for the sound, many speakers (and rooms) sort of muffle sound, so brighter, more penetrating sounds cut through better. Kawai's onboard sounds are very clean, bright, and close-miced. They cut through these types of impediments very well. They were sort of designed to sound good through cheap speakers and in noisy environments. If you put on a pair of nice headphones, you will likely change your mind about which one you prefer. But as it is, enjoy the onboard sounds!

If your piano is like mine (and it is) the wood on the sides does not easily come off. I would try and think of a different solution if I were you.

Edited by gvfarns (10/15/12 09:32 PM)

#1973814 - 10/15/12 09:49 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

confused

wink

#1973836 - 10/15/12 10:45 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
I believe this is true to all stands... my FP-7F does the same and my stand alone stand does it as well. The trick is exactly what James described: put behind the single sheets of paper a thin score book and your problem is solved.

Rafa.

#1973919 - 10/16/12 03:28 AM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
The ES7 has a very nice transparent paper stand that comes with the original piano standard and pedal set. Perhaps it is possible to obtain it separately from Kawai ??

One of the reasons I bought it with the original accessoires - looks sleek and nice, gives me three pedals (for what it's worth) and ...the better music paper stand.

#1973926 - 10/16/12 03:50 AM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

JFP, I checked with a colleague and unfortunately I'm mistaken - the ES7 music stand is a slightly different fit and cannot be used with the MP6/MP10.

Cheers,
James
x

#1973927 - 10/16/12 03:56 AM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Nice accessoire to propose to the product developers / marketeers. I alway understood accessories have the highest product margin so if there's a demand ....;-)

#1974004 - 10/16/12 10:26 AM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ha ha!

Actually, the modified music rest I have sitting on top of the subwoofer & speakers I made for our RD-700NX has a bottom that forms a 90 degree angle with the back, so single sheets of the thinnest paper lie flat and don't curl (full post HERE).

Why does the bottom of the MP10 music rest not form a 90 degree angle? Strikes me as poor engineering.

This is an interesting post! Yet one more thing to keep one's eye on and consider when purchasing a new DP.

#1974014 - 10/16/12 10:56 AM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Ha ha!

What's the joke?

Actually, the modified music rest I have sitting on top of the subwoofer & speakers I made for our RD-700NX has a bottom that forms a 90 degree angle with the back, so single sheets of the thinnest paper lie flat and don't curl (full post HERE).

Nice job!

#1974099 - 10/16/12 02:04 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What's the joke?

Oh, I thought you were being clever by pointing out the fact that the NX doesn't have a music rest. And any music rest is better than none.

#1974180 - 10/16/12 05:19 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

...any music rest is better than none.

That's true.

James
x

#1976714 - 10/21/12 12:11 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
WippenJackSpring Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A.
I too have the very same experience and disappointment with my Kawai MP10 stage piano.

But by far the most annoying & disappointing thing I have noticed about my MP10 is that it appeares that the right pedal (the sustain pedal) on my "Kawai F-20 double pedal" (stock issued pedal module) is not completely releasing consistently when I completely lift up and away from the pedal. That is, it is many times still sustaining when I do not want it to. This, of course, is not an enjoyable thing to have happen. I have to tap the sustain pedal with my foot to get it to disengage. But of course, I should not have to do this.

I have also noticed that the sustain pedal is quite noisy (actuating) even when I am playing while only wearing socks on my feet.

Hopefully, you have received a better "Kawai F-20 double pedal" than I.

wink

[quote=Allan W.] got my MP10, but I'm disappointed by the music stand. The paper doesn't sit flat on it but instead curves down at the bottom, and now all my sheet music becomes curled at the end. Also, three sheets barely fit on the stand if I overlap the margins. And most annoyingly, the music falls off the stand at the slightest touch due to the curving. How could this be bundled with a $2500 instrument?[u][/u]

#1976825 - 10/21/12 05:52 PM Re: Alternative music stand for Kawai MP10? And unboxing pics [Re: Allan W.]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

WippenJackSpring,

I have responded to this point in the separate thread that you created:

Response to 'Kawai MP10 Sustain Pedal Problems (Kawai F-20 double pedal)'.

Kind regards,
James
x

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
21 minutes 41 seconds ago
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
48 minutes 18 seconds ago
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
Today at 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
Today at 03:47 PM
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
Today at 02:54 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159404 Topics
2341570 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission