Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974118 - 10/16/12 02:56 PM Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students
MrsLois Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
So I find myself dreading my lessons this evening. I did not exactly have an inspiring start to the week! I had multiple students become snappy and rude last night, and in the end I just said to them 'If you're choosing to be like that today, I guess I'll see you next week. I'm not prepared to deal with that in my classroom.'

To set the record straight... their pieces and studies were NOT pushing them too hard. They were not focusing, regardless of how often I reminded them that it was time to learn.

I realize that having this issue with multiple students points all fingers to me as the cause of frustration and a challenging evening, but I have always prided myself on being a positive person in the classroom, and I do not feel that last night was any exception.

How do you deal with students bad attitudes? Have you ever had a student be downright rude to you, and how did you deal with the situation?

Looking forward to hearing your insights! smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1974121 - 10/16/12 03:09 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
It happens to me most days, I think I've just got used to it.

#1974132 - 10/16/12 03:25 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm quite surprised, actually. I haven't had a group of students who are intentionally rude.

How old are the students?

#1974138 - 10/16/12 03:31 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I suppose it could depend on your tolerance levels. If you were having a bad week or even a bad day you might be more sensitive to their behaviour. I have to say that most kids pick up on this and some will even try to push your buttons deliberately.

#1974153 - 10/16/12 04:21 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm very lucky not to have had rude students. I have students who don't practice like I tell them to, or don't do their homework, but not rude. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1974162 - 10/16/12 04:42 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
FIRE THE STUDENT!!

#1974168 - 10/16/12 04:49 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Can't fire them all though presumably.

#1974185 - 10/16/12 05:26 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
MrsLois Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
There were a range of ages, from 7 to 13. Maybe my tolerance levels were lower than usual, but I don't tolerate rudeness in my classroom regardless of how my day has gone.

And no, I can't fire my students! They are all awesome kids, and I love working with them. Just frustrating :p

#1974202 - 10/16/12 05:59 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
Dear Mrs Lois
I guess you won't see them till next week. So you have time to calm down and let your anger evaporate. If they have been acting rude for the first time, I suggest it's worth talking to them in the next lesson, asking them if they were actually aware what was happening in their last lesson and that - as you usually have great lessons together - you don't want them to act like this again.

I'm glad to only teach single lessons, but I know from other experiences that groups can develop strange dynamics. Maybe, the weather was strange, or they were tired, or....

Hopefully, this was an exception and you're having many great lessons to come :-)

#1974281 - 10/16/12 09:04 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
I have one little boy who is rude on occasion. He like to tell me how to do things and tell me I'm wrong and he's right and stuff like that.
Two things I do in response.
One. Look him square in the eye and tell him "no." Don't blink. Don't make excuses. Just "No. We don't behave like that."
Two. Get the parents involved. If the parents don't support you, fire the student.

#1974283 - 10/16/12 09:19 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Are they rude on purpose? That is, do they know they are being rude?

Sometimes I have my kids with autism practice saying something "in a nice way" and "in a grouchy way" and "in a mean way." This week we have also been saying things "in a vampire way."

#1974287 - 10/16/12 09:30 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Brinestone Offline

Malkin, I love it! Do they do a Transylvanian accent?

#1974321 - 10/16/12 11:07 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
OT:
I saw a recipe for fake blood and thought it would be fun to make with the kids. I needed to fill out a 30-45 minute group, so I got the book "A Drop of Blood" which is non-fiction, but the narrator is a vampire. So, we read the book, or look at it and talk about the pictures and say "A Drahhp of Blahhhd" in our scariest voices, and then we concoct fake blood in a blender and then the kids fingerpaint blood on a little outline of a body with a heart on construction paper and by then the staff and the kids and the room are all a big sticky red mess and it is time to clean up.

Piano related, but still OT:
One group yesterday walked past the piano on their way in to the room and I had them listen to a "Spooky Song" (which was A minor chord inversions) because we would be doing a spooky group.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Take care MrsLois. Maybe everyone was just a bit on edge this week.

#1974586 - 10/17/12 02:05 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I had a student like this who transferred to me some time ago. We finally had a "come to Jesus" talk and that stopped it. Children will behave exactly how you allow them to behave. I expect respect and I get it.
Church Musician since 1983

#1974590 - 10/17/12 02:08 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: bmbutler]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
You pretty much summed up my thinking on the topic. We're the adults in the relationship, we should act like adults, and expect students to behave with proper decorum. If they haven't learned it at home, then you can have a teaching moment.

#1974621 - 10/17/12 03:18 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: bmbutler]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: bmbutler
Children will behave exactly how you allow them to behave.

That's not always true. You can demand all the decorum and respect you want, but there will always be the rotten apples. Not all children will behave properly, even given the strictest of teachers.

#1974622 - 10/17/12 03:19 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: Monaco]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Monaco
I have one little boy who is rude on occasion. He like to tell me how to do things and tell me I'm wrong and he's right and stuff like that.
Two things I do in response.
One. Look him square in the eye and tell him "no." Don't blink. Don't make excuses. Just "No. We don't behave like that."
Two. Get the parents involved. If the parents don't support you, fire the student.

Great advice here!

#1977271 - 10/22/12 08:40 PM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
Modeling "rude" and then "polite" behavior with plenty of "polite" practice is a great strategy since some kids don't know what is considered rude. One must be explicit.

Big Mama Yama U1

#1977386 - 10/23/12 01:52 AM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I once had a student who was being both rude and uncooperative. I stopped the lesson, walked him out to his father and told him exactly what happened and told him the lesson was over. Two days later I received a note of apology from the child, written in his own hand. He was quite cooperative after that and was never again rude to me.

You need parents that back you up.

#1977546 - 10/23/12 11:26 AM Re: Bad Attitude and Rudeness from Students [Re: MrsLois]
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I don't allow rotten apples in my studio. Sorry, but I don't. Don't have the time for them. Many times the rotten apples became that way because (just like a bully) no one has called them on their behavior.
Church Musician since 1983

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Today at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Today at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Today at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Who's Online
98 registered (Almaviva, anamnesis, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1179 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158482 Topics
2327410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission