Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974206 - 10/16/12 06:12 PM Another Piano Quest Story
StudentSenior Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
This is my first post. I have been lurking here at Piano World for almost two years now and have learned a lot. So I feel obliged to participate with this description of my piano quest, just now ended.

First some background: I’ve made my ID “Student Senior” ….I’m a senior in my early eighties and I’m a student. I first started to play the piano in November 2010. For a year I played on my own and as of the first of this year, I started taking piano lessons. I’ve had a piano in the house ever since I’ve been married and we got our new Mason Hamlin console in about 1961. My wife was the pianist but she had quit playing years ago.

One of the first things I discovered was that I had apparently outlived the piano. The sounds were bright to harsh and loud --- almost clanging. Then I discovered you could partially bring your piano back to life with voicing. I discovered the Reblitz piano servicing book and Steve Van Nattan’s website for do it yourselfers and did a little voicing and reshaping myself. It did improve the piano. But there’s a limit to what you can do with an older small piano and since I had the means, I decided to get a grand piano. I was off on the piano search. I discovered Larry Fine’s book and his map of the market for new pianos. Then there was Perri Knize’s “Grand Obsession” which I read. It was an engaging and informative book. However the lesson I took away from it was that it may not be wise for me to ever fall in love with a piano. At least not for me.

Given my late start and modest ambition and skill (I don’t think I’ll ever become an advanced pianist), it appeared to me that something like a high end consumer grade piano would do. Something like a Brodmann PE 187. But when I started my field research, I found that what stood out for me wasn’t always as it was supposed to be. I played the Brodmann’s but afterwards couldn’t “remember” them. They weren’t bad … they just didn’t stand out for me. Yet a certain 6’ 2” Henry Miller did stand out and it’s supposed to be just a notch above entry level. It sounded almost as good as the Yamaha C2 next to it. Yes I could sense that the Shigeru Kawai’s were a level above the RX3 Kawai’s. But the Hallet Davis and Samick pianos at the same dealership also sounded pretty good --- not as good as the Kawai’s but still pretty good. How to evaluate the differences which are subjective and peculiar to the individual is the burden that every piano buyer has to bear. smile

So how did it end up? Well there was a 1988 5’ 10” Schimmel that had been on the market for about a year and a half. The owner was asking $15,000 for it. My initial reaction was for that amount and maybe a little more I could buy a new high end consumer grade piano and I wasn’t interested. Then I heard a new Vogel V180 at one of the Houston area dealerships and I liked it. However it was housed in about $10,000 worth of fancy cabinetry and I didn’t want that. I then remembered the 1988 Schimmel and thought maybe it would sound something like the Vogel since Schimmel makes Vogel. When I played the Schimmel however, it sounded nothing like the new Vogel. It was different but I liked the sound. It has sort of a singing quality to it and is described by some as sweet and European. Furthermore my wife likes the sound. Of course I had my independent technician inspect it…something you learn to do at Piano World. The original owner and I agreed on a price and it now sits in my living/dining room. I may even learn to love the piano.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1974217 - 10/16/12 06:41 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
How Delightful!

Congratulations on finding the perfect piano for you and your wife to enjoy.

Especially, a big Thank You for your lovely retelling of your search.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1974226 - 10/16/12 07:07 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Congratulations! You took the time to evaluate the piano you love and that's what I'm in the process of doing. Hope you have many years of wonderful enjoyment from your piano.

#1974247 - 10/16/12 07:46 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, congratulations, StudentSenior!

And, that was a very nice "piano stroy"... we like those on Piano World! The only thing missing are pictures of your new-to-you Schimmel! smile

Wishing you all the best!

Rick

#1974259 - 10/16/12 08:11 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
pianonewb Offline

Loc: No. Va.
Congrats. Pics or it didn't happen, lol.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

#1974391 - 10/17/12 03:45 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Congratulations. Be sure and drop by the Adult Beginner's Forum and maybe Pianist Corner as they're both friendly communities for enthusiastic learners.

#1974486 - 10/17/12 10:32 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Congratulations on your Schimmel! They are very fine instruments and you should get very good performance out of it.

#1974492 - 10/17/12 10:51 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Congratulations! I wish you many happy hours playing your lovely new piano!

#1974519 - 10/17/12 12:19 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
StudentSenior Offline

Pianonewb says "pics or it didn't happen". So here it is. Please note the old Mason Hamlin in the background. Looks like I'm going to have to give it away to get it out of the house.

#1974617 - 10/17/12 03:07 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Congratulations on your new Schimmel. They are very nice pianos. Yours looks to be in great condition and should give you years of enjoyment.

Also, good on you for taking up the piano at your stage in life. Don't sell yourself short concerning what level you can achieve. With enough dedication, effort and perseverance, it is amazing how far you could go.

Go for the small steps in improving your technique and don't worry about where you are. It's the journey that counts, not the destination. Before long, you can look back and be amazed at how far you've actually travelled. cool

All the best in your quest,

allthumbs

Single Malts Forever!

#1974749 - 10/17/12 05:50 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Wow, what a nice-looking piano. Does it sound as good as it looks? It looks new.

#1974881 - 10/17/12 09:49 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
pianonewb Offline

Loc: No. Va.
Lovely! Again, congratulations.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

#1974889 - 10/17/12 09:59 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Playagain Offline

Congratulations! It is beautiful! Have fun with your piano lessons, and enjoy your new piano!
Kathy

#1974968 - 10/18/12 01:34 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
Congratulations!! Lovely piano. Hope you get years of enjoyment out of it!

#1974998 - 10/18/12 03:28 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: allthumbs]
newinstru? Offline

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: allthumbs
Congratulations on your new Schimmel. They are very nice pianos. Yours looks to be in great condition and should give you years of enjoyment.

Also, good on you for taking up the piano at your stage in life. Don't sell yourself short concerning what level you can achieve. With enough dedication, effort and perseverance, it is amazing how far you could go.

I love this, and I love the encouragement people receive here. When I first started reading this forum I was surprised at how many people were starting piano well into adulthood, or picking it up again. When I was younger, If someone said, "I sure wish I knew how to play the piano," I would be sympathetic to their regret. I later learned that graduating from high school does not mark the end of musical opportunities. (Silly I thought that, I know!) Now I say, "We'll, why don't you learn?!)"

#1975066 - 10/18/12 08:22 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
I had an elder student one time. He was 88. He came to me saying that I had him for 10 lessons and that was it - there were other things that he wanted to do in his life too!

I hope you stick with it a little longer than that, and with that beautiful piano, I just bet that you will!

Has the wife played it too?

LL

#1975126 - 10/18/12 11:35 AM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: lilylady]
StudentSenior Offline

Lilylady, I think you had a difficult and unrealistic student no matter what the age. To be sure there are other things we want to do with our lives. And by the time you are in your eighties, you should have done a few of them. I will stick with it and go as far as I can. I have some classical pieces at the intermediate level almost performance ready.

My wife hasn't played the piano. She is having some memory problems and is struggling a bit. But maybe....

Edited by StudentSenior (10/18/12 11:37 AM)
Edit Reason: don't want the smiley face next to my ID

#1975296 - 10/18/12 04:38 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Seeker Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD
Originally Posted By: StudentSenior
====SNIP===
My wife hasn't played the piano. She is having some memory problems and is struggling a bit. But maybe....

Congratulations on your new-to-you piano. It looks great, and it is a fine instrument. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Regarding your wife and the memory problems, I am unaware of research with older folks (I confess to being no longer young myself, but I digress), but there IS research that shows that playing the piano is good for young people whose brains are still developing.

Me - I'm thinking - playing the piano is good for the brain, WHATEVER age you are.

Perhaps you should invite your Lady to sit at the piano with you and play some (at first very simple) duets? Dare I suggest, love duets?

Music can be very healing. It might just help with this "memory" thing.

All best wishes with your piano and with your music.
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")

#1975313 - 10/18/12 05:15 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Seeker
Me - I'm thinking - playing the piano is good for the brain, WHATEVER age you are.

Me too... I'm thinking that is why I'm smarter and better looking than I've ever been. laugh (Just kidding... no I'm not grin )

Rick

#1975365 - 10/18/12 07:08 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
Great story, SS!! The Mason-Hamlin looks good as well. Hopefully, it will go to a good home.

#1975728 - 10/19/12 01:42 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Senior Student,

Congratulations on: 1) your choice to study piano - it's wonderful therapy and great for your brain at any age. 2) your beautiful Schimmel - it's gorgeous and they do have the bell-like singing sound (especially in the treble). 3) learning and reading the PW Forum. 4) your enjoyable piano story. It was a pleasure reading about your journey.

I wish you many happy years playing, learning and enjoying your Schimmel.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1975801 - 10/19/12 03:46 PM Re: Another Piano Quest Story [Re: StudentSenior]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Great pick StudentSenior and what a beauty it is! You have a lovely piano room for it too! smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
Today at 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
Today at 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
Today at 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
Today at 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
Today at 02:33 PM
Who's Online
162 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, Alan T., ajames, aesop, 40 invisible), 1417 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157608 Topics
2315056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission