2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
A couple of editing notes on the text: "its" should have no apostrophe. Also there's a comma missing from a sentence that goes something like "the piano, now finely polished (or whatever it said) *comma*...." And stain and finish (plural) *are* applied.

I agree with the criticism above of the text coming in from the sides. You could use fade-in instead if you want part of the text read first. I also thought the different type sizes were a little distracting.

1989 Baldwin R
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by turandot

Rich,

You lead a charmed life here. You know the old trick of the occasional private seller/newly-minted member who starts a thread asking for advice on how to go about selling the cherished family herloom and is looking for feedback on how to price it? Usually the opening post comes with pictures and a statement about just how excellent the beloved old turkey is. Of course the last thing the guy is looking for is market exposure....just like you. grin

You've got plover eating out of your hand here....the same plover who slams a Yamaha guy in Chicago for a naivie salute to Yamaha on its birthday. I guess he must be finished with his tally of how his side is ahead. grin So what else is new? The term 'double standard' almost seems inadequate to what passes for selfless promotion around here. I guess there's good reason why plovers often live in marshes pecking here and there in the mud till they come up with something or other to eat.

My advice? Just keep feeding that stuff about Watts and Hamelin saying the Cunningham is clearly a very good piano for the money. Members here are too slow on the draw to note the point at which selling replaces sharing. Oh, and if by chance you overlooked it in the video, you should slip in a mention of the house piano you placed in Sung's studio over at Curtis. If you don't have q promo clip, you can use some footage of the junket to NAMM the two of you made. Of course he was only there to get feedback...just like you. grin

As for the video, I didn't watch it. Other vendors here pay for their ads and I very rarely click on theirs. Can't see a reason to click on something that pretends to be what it isn't.

+1

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
L
I recomend you two things: Change the photos for videos and the text for voice. This will make the video more dinamic.

1942 Challen Baby Grand Piano

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I agree with most of what PaintedPostDave said. I also find the moving text and the odd jerks and fades quite distracting. I have never liked that sort of presentation, and it does seem dated. I did not recognize Andre Watts at the end, and in any case I think it should have a picture of someone actually playing the piano, not just sitting slouched there looking like a random person. Perhaps a factory worker getting ready to go off shift.

I looked again at that last photo, and the white spinet with the coats or whatever dumped on top doesn't add to the overall effect in any sort of positive way.

Also, "hardwoods", in the sense you are using it, is one word, not two.

Lee
M
M
Rich,

As a former producer of educational documentary video, I would offer the following suggestions, many of which have already been pointed out in various forms:

1.) Write a script if you haven't already - even if you don't plan to have any dialogue. Storyboard your ideas, even in a very basic way, so you can understand the flow and how you want to convey the message. Planning makes the finished product far better.

2.) As with the previous item, come up with a message. What do you want the viewer to think/feel/act on when they are done viewing the piece? As I watched this, I thought, "This is nice," but when it was over I didn't really have a "takeaway". I wasn't motivated to learn more about Cunningham, or have it suggested that I should want to try one, etc. You can also tell the viewer what you are going to do, or the idea you want to convey at the outset. "We think our pianos are the greatest, and we're going to show you why as we take you through the exacting process of how a Cunningham is made."

3.) Choose a very basic font for any text. Arial or a good font with a serif - it's far easier on the eyes and allows the viewer to concentrate more on the visuals than reading the text. Rather than have text "cards" (your text between stills) superimpose the text on the image of possible, taking up no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen, and have it at the bottom. Use fades for the text transitions if you use text on a background by itself - slides and bounces distract the viewer and look amateurish.

4.) Transitions - stick with one style of transition and use it. Don't get the amateur's obsession to use every transition that's available. Fades or cross fades are good and don't "jar" the viewer like cuts and slides. The "KISS" approach is always a safe one here!

5.) Still images - get the very best quality still images you can - when poor quality images are imported into video, there are often losses due to the conversion that affect the quality. Start out with high definition, high quality, well composed and lit images, and they will carry through well in the final product.

6.) Assume nothing about your viewer. I didn't realize that it was Andrew Watts at the close, but when someone mentioned it, I had an "a-ha!" moment. There was nothing in the content that would have made me expect to see Andrew Watts in the video. Use a stripe or other visual cue to identify the person if you want the audience to know who it is.

7.) As with #6, credit or identify the music in the background if you can, ideally at the beginning. It can be a distraction for someone to sit through the video wondering what the piece is while the video is playing. It's also a good opportunity to point out that it is being played on a Cunningham - don't expect your viewers to make that assumption.

Close with some sort of a tag or bump, that is, tell the viewer what they should do next. "Visit our Web site at www.cunningham. com for more information", or "Call us at xxx.xxx.xxxx" to schedule a visit to experience a Cunningham". Encourage the viewer to act, and give them directions as to how they should do so.

I hope I didn't sound critical - it is my intent to be constructive. I think you have a wonderful product, but if it isn't presented properly it won't matter - the perception might be poor if the presentation is as well.

You are more than welcome to contact me off list if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help if you like.

Dan

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacDan
Rich,

As a former producer of educational documentary video, I would offer the following suggestions, many of which have already been pointed out in various forms:

1.) Write a script if you haven't already - even if you don't plan to have any dialogue. Storyboard your ideas, even in a very basic way, so you can understand the flow and how you want to convey the message. Planning makes the finished product far better.

2.) As with the previous item, come up with a message. What do you want the viewer to think/feel/act on when they are done viewing the piece? As I watched this, I thought, "This is nice," but when it was over I didn't really have a "takeaway". I wasn't motivated to learn more about Cunningham, or have it suggested that I should want to try one, etc. You can also tell the viewer what you are going to do, or the idea you want to convey at the outset. "We think our pianos are the greatest, and we're going to show you why as we take you through the exacting process of how a Cunningham is made."

3.) Choose a very basic font for any text. Arial or a good font with a serif - it's far easier on the eyes and allows the viewer to concentrate more on the visuals than reading the text. Rather than have text "cards" (your text between stills) superimpose the text on the image of possible, taking up no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen, and have it at the bottom. Use fades for the text transitions if you use text on a background by itself - slides and bounces distract the viewer and look amateurish.

4.) Transitions - stick with one style of transition and use it. Don't get the amateur's obsession to use every transition that's available. Fades or cross fades are good and don't "jar" the viewer like cuts and slides. The "KISS" approach is always a safe one here!

5.) Still images - get the very best quality still images you can - when poor quality images are imported into video, there are often losses due to the conversion that affect the quality. Start out with high definition, high quality, well composed and lit images, and they will carry through well in the final product.

6.) Assume nothing about your viewer. I didn't realize that it was Andrew Watts at the close, but when someone mentioned it, I had an "a-ha!" moment. There was nothing in the content that would have made me expect to see Andrew Watts in the video. Use a stripe or other visual cue to identify the person if you want the audience to know who it is.

7.) As with #6, credit or identify the music in the background if you can, ideally at the beginning. It can be a distraction for someone to sit through the video wondering what the piece is while the video is playing. It's also a good opportunity to point out that it is being played on a Cunningham - don't expect your viewers to make that assumption.

Close with some sort of a tag or bump, that is, tell the viewer what they should do next. "Visit our Web site at www.cunningham. com for more information", or "Call us at xxx.xxx.xxxx" to schedule a visit to experience a Cunningham". Encourage the viewer to act, and give them directions as to how they should do so.

I hope I didn't sound critical - it is my intent to be constructive. I think you have a wonderful product, but if it isn't presented properly it won't matter - the perception might be poor if the presentation is as well.

You are more than welcome to contact me off list if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help if you like.

Dan

+1

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It's a great pic of Andre Watts. He's very popular and recognized here in the Philly area.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Folks,I can't believe you didn't reconize
ANDRE WATTS.

Rich, I would agree as someone said above, It needs more
close ups. For instance the string maybe half wound and
then finished.A pair of hands should be shown.
A couple shots of workers hands,with tools would be good.
It looks like a very good base, now build on it.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It really doesn't matter if the PW crowd recognizes Andre Watts.

Would the first time piano shopper recognize Andre Watts? It goes back to what is the target audience.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
M
Originally Posted by Dave B
It's a great pic of Andre Watts. He's very popular and recognized here in the Philly area.

And this comes back to one of my points. If you are only planning to show this in the Philadelphia area, fine. However, if you are posting it on a web site, assume that close to 99% of the viewers will not know who it is.

My example is just that - I know who Andre Watts is, but not by sight. Without some sort of identification, the picture has no significance to the majority of the viewers.

You have to take something like this down to a very basic level and make no assumptions.

Dan

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Rich:

Is the music accompanying the film played on a new Cunningham ? I just want to be clear about it.

Of course, it's BEAUTIFUL playing as is the piano being played.

I could be totally at home on such an instrument with not a single regret.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just a thought for you - another (non-piano) video showing construction etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KSSyUcXBvIc#!

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Such pretty music almost put me to sleep and doesn't fit the feel of the accompanying techie pictures.

I actually wanted to find out about your new piano but gave up before my head hit the computer keyboard.

Pretty music with pretty pictures or techie music with technical pictures. One or the other, not mix or match. Perhaps a wondering through the "Wiss" with a camera now that leaves are turning?

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
that's a lovely video Rich.. are you asking if the piano is long enough? or the video? both seem fine altho one can never have enough piano and it could be longer. It looks a bit short and wide, but that could be very satisfying too. It sounds fantastic. smile

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Rich:

Is the music accompanying the film played on a new Cunningham ? I just want to be clear about it.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
The video is effective at doing two things:
1) Addressing the widely-held anxiety about whether non-major brand names are just 'stencils'.
2) Addressing the still widely-held skepticism toward Chinese-made pianos.

Both of these are major factors for first-time piano buyers.

People who know nothing about pianos grasp the concept of a stencil piano instantly. This means that while shopping they worry about being taken advantage of by people who would take a cheap mass-produced product and merely put a fancy-sounding decal on the fall board. The video shows that Cunningham is involved in the manufacturing process of their pianos both with design and execution.

The second point is that there is still skepticism about Chinese-built pianos. I think the video effectively addresses this concern by being visually upfront about the fact that Chinese people are doing most of the labor on these pianos. I have heard other salespeople try to avoid acknowledging that their pianos are built in China. The video communicates respect for the Chinese builders of the Cunningham pianos.

I was baffled by the picture of Watts at the end. I don't know who he is and he doesn't look friendly in that picture. Furthermore, even if I knew who he was, it wouldn't mean much to me that he slouched around at some point on a bench in front of one of your pianos.

Finally, I thought the piece in the soundtrack was fine, but that you ought to get something recorded on one of your pianos. I know that getting a recording of good quality could be expensive. And, it might be obvious to you that a good recording is possible on your pianos, given proper prep and a recording studio, and so it might seem to you to be unnecessary to use something that was actually recorded on a Cunningham piano. But your buyers want to hear the piano that is being advertised, and the questions about the piano used in the recording will keep coming up and dogging this video.

Last edited by charleslang; 10/28/12 03:19 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by charleslang

People who know nothing about pianos grasp the concept of a stencil piano instantly.
I think it's more like 90% of all piano shoppers, including more experienced ones, have never heard of stencil pianos or the idea behind them.

J
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

People who know nothing about pianos grasp the concept of a stencil piano instantly.
I think it's more like 90% of all piano shoppers, including more experienced ones, have never heard of stencil pianos or the idea behind them.

I disagree. With just a little bit of research, shoppers learn about stencils.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think you are probably right with regard to the beginning of the shopping process. But I agree with Jonathan Alford that shoppers who do even only moderate research about what is available will learn about stencil pianos.

My point is that it is a concept that is easy to understand and a concept that shoppers -- once they hear about it -- understand immediately and believe (pretty reasonably) may help them in discerning which products are of higher and lower qualities.

I believe the concept of a stencil piano is more accessible than the more obscure concepts of hot-pressed hammers, laminated soundboards, or low-tensioned scales.

Consequently, I think that it is reasonable to make it a priority for the video to address the idea of stencil pianos (even if only implicitly, as the video does). Buyers might see the Cunningham video and realize that there is no clear line demarcating stencil pianos from so-called hand-made pricey pianos, which would be an advantage for the Cunningham line of pianos.

Last edited by charleslang; 10/28/12 03:32 PM.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
O
O
I was baffled by the picture of Watts at the end. I don't know who he is and he doesn't look friendly in that picture. Furthermore, even if I knew who he was, it wouldn't mean much to me that he slouched around at some point on a bench in front of one of your pianos.

I thought he was mister Cunningham, the proud developer of this piano smile.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission