Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1974340 - 10/17/12 12:05 AM Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread?
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Isn't anyone besides me thinking about this yet?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1974342 - 10/17/12 12:12 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
It's right - here!

Yea, I've got a couple of options. I think this will be as ready as I've ever been for a recital (knock on wood). I have two pieces from the turn of the *last* century that I've been practicing/playing for a couple of months. One is almost at speed (the one I really had planned) and the other is pretty much at tempo, so one of them should work.

But I don't plan on recording until maybe a week before the recital, because I have a dance camp and a band gig the two weekends before, and I want all of that out of the way so I can relax.

But I'm looking forward to it.

Cathy

#1974356 - 10/17/12 01:23 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

Oh, yeah!! What originally started as a straightforward pop ballad has morphed into an amalgamation of styles, tempos, and techniques, a few very new to me, not to mention all the work I still have to do on the vocal while playing thru most of it. Also, last week my voice teacher asked me to start working on an arrangement for another song for a performance she’s organized at nursing home the week before Christmas. I’m wondering how I’m going to pull it all off.:)

#1974368 - 10/17/12 02:39 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I was wondering and watching for this thread too - glad you took the initiative MaryBee!

I was really slow off the mark getting rolling for this recital. In part because of being away from home for 5 weeks over the summer, in part because of not having my teacher, in part with the excitment of getting a new teacher..... But! Things have settled down and I am polishing up a piece I learned a while back, but want to improve upon, and a charming little new piece - both very short.

My new teacher is getting me to approach my pieces from a different perspective. I suppose had I stayed with my former teacher we would be at this point now too, but who knows. I am enjoying the change and am very fired up about my music these days!

Looking forward to hearing all the submissions!

#1974385 - 10/17/12 03:28 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
If my left wrist holds up, I may try to get a good recording of Melodie for this. It would be my first recital entry...

#1974393 - 10/17/12 04:01 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryAnn]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
If my left wrist holds up, I may try to get a good recording of Melodie for this. It would be my first recital entry...

Melodie in F? And it's a great experience - you should join in the fun!

#1974422 - 10/17/12 07:02 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I haven't been recording myself for a while now, but I think it's time to see if there is anything I can play from beginning to end with the red dot glowing beside me.

Sorry for you, but it will be something from Alfred's book 2 - again. If I make it.

#1974425 - 10/17/12 07:15 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I didn't any record since the last recital... I've been practicing a lot and I tried new approaches to pieces of my repertoire.

My last "madness" was to pick up a melody of Einaudi and invent some variations. Maybe I'll do a recording and send it to this recital.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1974429 - 10/17/12 07:43 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm finally learning some Chopin Preludes. I'm a little shy about presenting them in a recital though - everybody knows them and plays them! It's much easier to play something more obscure for the recital.

Sam

#1974561 - 10/17/12 01:27 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL, I was just thinking about this too, and was going to start this thread...but...you've beaten me to the punch.

I actually already have a (very submittable) recording that I just did yesterday. grin

First time ever, but then again, I haven't done too much piano-wise this year, and this is my first recording in a year.

What was funny was that I recorded it on a whim just to see how I'd do with the red dot. Lots of screaming (kids) in the background but I was quite pleased with how it turned out..lol. I'm about to get super busy this next month so I'm seriously contemplating just submitting this take. That would be a first as well.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1974592 - 10/17/12 02:17 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread?

Yep, appears to be right here now and thanks for starting.

I for one, am very pumped about this one. I've been working like crazy on two Bach Preludes (no 2, no 4) from the collection of 6 little preludes. I liken this to two movements of one Symphony, so hope I am not stretching the rules or anything. They are both relatively short.

I took these on (No. 4 at first) to work on improving my reading. But, it is way beyond my reading level. So, have just managed to learn it and put it straight to memory. No. 2 is a little closer to my reading ability. But nope, once it is up to tempo, not working either. So, both will be completely memorized.

My greatest concern, is that these are going to be very tough to get a completely clean take of. Particularly no. 4. But, I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot and will be ready.

Much looking forward to it and in listening to all the other entries.

#1974606 - 10/17/12 02:43 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I know what I'm going to submit. Now, there's only the minor issue of getting it recorded. Ah, can't be too difficult, right?!

Kawai K3

#1974609 - 10/17/12 02:46 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Sam S
I'm finally learning some Chopin Preludes. I'm a little shy about presenting them in a recital though - everybody knows them and plays them! It's much easier to play something more obscure for the recital.Sam

I thought that before submitting the E minor last time but, you know, we're all pretty accepting. Bonus marks if it's not number 4, number 7, number 15 or number 20 though wink

P.S. I'll submit number 20 sometime so no bonus marks for me!

Kawai K3

#1974619 - 10/17/12 03:17 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Andy Platt]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Sam S
I'm finally learning some Chopin Preludes. I'm a little shy about presenting them in a recital though - everybody knows them and plays them! It's much easier to play something more obscure for the recital.Sam

I thought that before submitting the E minor last time but, you know, we're all pretty accepting. Bonus marks if it's not number 4, number 7, number 15 or number 20 though wink

P.S. I'll submit number 20 sometime so no bonus marks for me!

It's either 9 or 15. 15 (the "Raindrop") has definitely been overdone in the recitals. But looking through the index I don't see 9 anywhere. So it just might be #9.

Sam

#1974812 - 10/17/12 07:16 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Andy Platt]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
I know what I'm going to submit. Now, there's only the minor issue of getting it recorded. Ah, can't be too difficult, right?!

[laughs hysterically]

I'm in the same spot. I've been swamped with sandwich generation stuff (kids, father in law, etc.) the past few months, so I only have one piece that's ready to record. Y'all are going to have to hear the relentless 3-against-2 polyrhythms of Philip Glass's "Opening" whether you want to or not. wink But first I have to get the piano tuned and conquer the Red Dot.

#1974814 - 10/17/12 07:17 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: CarlosCC]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
My last "madness" was to pick up a melody of Einaudi and invent some variations. Maybe I'll do a recording and send it to this recital.

Ooh ooh ooh! I vote you do this! And I'll admit to great curiosity as to what this Einaudi melody is. "I giorni", perhaps???

#1974834 - 10/17/12 07:47 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm going to do Part two to my Message From Space. I love doing this stuff because I can say every mistake was intentional. I play one part with my elbow! "I meant to do that!" smile

#1974856 - 10/17/12 08:49 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
jotur -- that's great that you already have your piece(s) almost ready.
Starr Keys -- with both the piano and singing, you have twice the work of most of us.
cas -- it's so much fun to go back to a piece that has been set aside for a while. I think it makes it easier to more deeply understand it.
MaryAnn -- Is that Schumann's "Melodie"? That's a pretty piece. Hope your wrist lets you do this!
sinophilia -- go for it, even if it's not perfect. The more you record yourself, the easier it will become.
Carlos -- well, someone has to do Einaudi, and it doesn't look like it's going to be Monica this time.
Sam -- I understand your reluctance of playing an often-performed piece. When I was planning on playing the Moonlight Sonata for one recital, I looked on your recital index to see if it was the most-performed piece. I can't remember now if it was, but it was definitely in the top 5. My teacher convinced me to do it, though, by telling me that no one else had ever played it exactly as I would.
CebuKid -- I know who's going to be in at #1! (Screaming kids could make it interesting.)
Greener -- I think that's a great idea to play two of the Preludes. I did a group of three Gnossiennes for one recital, and I have plans to do a group of Bach Inventions sometime (but not this time).
Andy -- I'm sure you'll get something wonderful recorded.
Monica -- didn't you retire recently? You should have more time to devote to this stuff. Ha ha… all my retired friends tell me differently, though.
Peyton -- yes! I loved your first Message From Space. Can't wait to hear the second part.

I'm going to submit an over-played piece this time too. But the point of learning it was to work on interpretation and expression, so I'm hoping to be able to call this particular performance of it my own. Now, off to Sam's recital index to see how many times it has actually been played in our recitals...

#1974864 - 10/17/12 09:11 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Valencia Offline

just curious, what constitutes "submittable" for the purposes of the recital?

#1974867 - 10/17/12 09:17 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I'm going to try to submit a level 1 performance piece, if, I can get it ready at the same time as Satie! I have been working on it for awhile so hopefully I can polish it up by then. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1974872 - 10/17/12 09:31 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Sam S - Oh, please don't start making those of us behind you feel bad for submitting oft-played pieces! I suspect that every piece I play is on that list. smile

Hmmm, I've got to polish something if I'm going to submit... I've got a Clementi sonatina movement and two short Schumann things (from "Album for the Young"... Hey, maybe MaryAnn and I can make it a Schumann-fest!) to choose from, since Fur Elise won't be ready until some distant, distant recital in 2013 (if I'm lucky)...

#1974898 - 10/17/12 10:18 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Bobpickle]
MaryAnn Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Melodie in F? And it's a great experience - you should join in the fun!

I meant Schumann's Melodie from Album for the Young. It sounds like I should check out this other Melodie (though perhaps not for the recital) :-)

#1974911 - 10/17/12 10:40 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Valencia]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Valencia
just curious, what constitutes "submittable" for the purposes of the recital?

The goal of the recital is to provide a snapshot of where you are in your piano journey at the time of the recital. So basically anything is "submittable," as long as it's your own playing.

#1975027 - 10/18/12 05:37 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC

Ooh ooh ooh! I vote you do this! And I'll admit to great curiosity as to what this Einaudi melody is. "I giorni", perhaps???

Sorry Monika, but it's not "I giorni".

It's a much easier and short melody. I took the melody of "Canzone Popolare (1500 ca.)" from The Best of Ludovico Einaudi book, and I did some variations using similar chords. It's nothing serious, It's just a "game" I decided to do and it's not yet finished.
It's funny to play freely smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1975029 - 10/18/12 05:51 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
I'm planning on Beethoven Rondo Op51#2 - but it's going to have 'rough spots'.
I started it 23 years ago but my teacher declared it to be "Not interesting enough" so I moved on leaving it unfinished...

...fast forward all those years and the music bubbled up in a pile I was looking for, so I figured I'd see if I could pick up where I left off.

It may not be the most dramatic or sophisticated piece Beethoven wrote, but I'm beginning to like it and it's kind of a bit of a Beethoven warm up before I try and brutally hack through the Pathetique 1st movement and do terrible damage to listeners ears and my ego.

Not sure what daughter will play - we'll see what's best suited to a performance when We get time to do some recording.
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1975085 - 10/18/12 09:02 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: bessel]
MaryAnn Offline

Originally Posted By: bessel
Sam S - Oh, please don't start making those of us behind you feel bad for submitting oft-played pieces! I suspect that every piece I play is on that list. smile

Hmmm, I've got to polish something if I'm going to submit... I've got a Clementi sonatina movement and two short Schumann things (from "Album for the Young"... Hey, maybe MaryAnn and I can make it a Schumann-fest!) to choose from, since Fur Elise won't be ready until some distant, distant recital in 2013 (if I'm lucky)...

How did I miss this earlier. A Schumann fest! *swoon* I can do 1 and maybe 5 (Stuckchen) in a pinch, but no. 16 (erster verlust) will never be ready. Which ones would you do?

#1975113 - 10/18/12 10:50 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
I'm pretty sure there's no way I will get the piano tuned and have something decent in time for this one.

#1975114 - 10/18/12 11:00 AM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: Monica K.]
Valencia Offline

Thanks Monica. smile Sounds like fun, though I don't know if I am brave enough to submit anything this next round. My pieces are all (always) in such a middle stage. Plus my recording set-up is not great. We'll see....

#1975222 - 10/18/12 02:09 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryAnn]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
Originally Posted By: bessel

How did I miss this earlier. A Schumann fest! *swoon* I can do 1 and maybe 5 (Stuckchen) in a pinch, but no. 16 (erster verlust) will never be ready. Which ones would you do?

MaryAnn -

I should be able to do "The Happy Farmer, Returning from Work" (#10) and "Wild Horseman" (#8)... the latter needs some polishing on the part where the left hand carries the melody, but I think I can manage it in time...

We have a miracle of no-overlap... We should go for it, and maybe we could even submit next to eachother and force everyone to listen to a long block of Schumann. smile Whaddya say?

#1975439 - 10/18/12 10:40 PM Re: Where is the "one month til the next recital" thread? [Re: MaryBee]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
This time I'm going to finally make good on an old promise and play a re-arranged cover version of Metallicas 'Nothing Else Matters'.

While this is a hard rock piece, my piano version some how is more of a ballad. It is extremely fun to play and is literally up and down the entire keyboard throughout much of the piece.

I may even attempt a video if I get some time. I managed to bust the ears off my backhoe bucket today and need to spend the next few days heating and beating the twisted parts back into submission.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, A Guy, AEMontoya, 255, 38 invisible), 1157 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157152 Topics
2308032 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
08/29/14 05:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission