Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1957540 - 09/11/12 05:10 PM Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out
danlightbulb Offline

Hi all,

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SPyx7FGxko

I'd really like to work this out, but he just plays it to fast for me to pick up all the notes.

Can anyone help?

Ps I have looked for piano sheet music for this and cant find it. I'd be willing to pay for it but its not out there.

Thanks
Dan

Piano & Music Accessories
#1958769 - 09/14/12 09:32 AM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: danlightbulb]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Hey, Dan, as things to transcribe go, this one should be dead easy. The notes are clear, and you can even see the keys that are pressed.

You can download the video, and if you get an app called "Transcribe" you can slow down the music, and even get help with the notes.

Until then, here's his playing slowed down to 35% using Transcribe:

https://www.box.com/s/75xp0h2s98eyv9izaa1b

Edited by TromboneAl (09/14/12 02:46 PM)

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#1974239 - 10/16/12 07:30 PM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: TromboneAl]
danlightbulb Offline

Thanks, appreciate you slowing down the music for me.

I don't really know how to go about transcribing it. Does the software recognise the note pitches?

#1974252 - 10/16/12 07:56 PM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: danlightbulb]
danlightbulb Offline

Hi again,

Just been playing about with the software and ive done the first few notes. Its not easy at all lol! But Im getting there slowly. I imagine it will get harder when more notes start sounding together.

Is there any way to separate the bass notes from the treble, perhaps set some sort of filter or threshold?

Thanks!

#1974345 - 10/17/12 12:36 AM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: danlightbulb]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: danlightbulb
Is there any way to separate the bass notes from the treble, perhaps set some sort of filter or threshold?

Ah, the tools . . .

I see you are new, Dan, so welcome!

I shall do my best not to pick on anyone too badly. With the glamour of installing software and setting filters, this is probably the very last thing that anyone would recommend, but ---

We all come equipped with a couple of marvelous little devices that are already fully installed, configured, and powered-up. They have a wide range of filters and a sensivity that is beyond compare. They are hard-wired to a processing unit very similar to the one belonging to the composer of this little funky tune. For ages, individuals interested in music have been using these compact, little devices to transcribe even the most complex pieces of music.

They do have what might be considered a drawback: The processing unit connected does not always work instantly. It requires programming and re-programming, and refined re-programming. In computer terms, it is an iterative process. But this characteristic can also be considered an asset! The processor acquires more and more capability all on its own. It handles more and more instructions, and it never needs UPGRADING. Making the processor work in this way keeps it nicely lubricated for other, similar taske that it might be called upon to perform.

Peripherals necessary for successful transcription are quite common, and therefore inexpensive: A pencil with a #2 lead and a good eraser, and a few sheets of staff paper. I used to purchase this by the ream (24-pounds) because I counted on making lots of mistakes before getting it right.

The little transcription system goes with you everywhere, and, once developed, can be called into use on a moment's notice. Storage never really reaches full capacity. And there is one other, rather intangible benefit to our little on-board transcription system: When it has successfully completed a project, there is this incredible sense of pride and accomplishment with having MASTERED something quite complex. Somehow, I have never gotten the same good feeling from downloading and installing software.

Ed

#1974378 - 10/17/12 03:13 AM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: danlightbulb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
HAHA I knew it! Probably the best description of learning how to use our ears and brains ever!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1974545 - 10/17/12 12:54 PM Re: Grange Hill theme - please help me work this out [Re: danlightbulb]
danlightbulb Offline

Lol, I do agree with you 100% and I am trying to learn...honest! But the hard fact is that if I cant work the notes out by watching it and listening (its hard for me to see whats going on with that bass line), then I need some extra help.

I've managed to work out the first intro section with the first bit of walking bass line now, so I'm getting there! But I needed the help of the software to give me the notes.

I'm only working towards grade 5 atm, hopefully i'll get better at it!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
101 registered (anamnesis, AndresD, Auver, anotherscott, 36251, AZ_Astro, 34 invisible), 1319 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission