Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1976325 - 10/20/12 03:21 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

+ 1 Congratulations and thanks for posting the photos and I'm curious how it sounds in the small room.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1976354 - 10/20/12 04:41 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Playagain]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
That could be my problem. I will raise the bench some more and try it. Thanks!

#1976355 - 10/20/12 04:46 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

With regard to the sound in a small room, it's not bad. I still haven't put up curtains, wall hangings, pictures, etc. Still moving my things down from our old house. I have played mostly at half-stick or lid down. My wife says the piano is louder outside than in the house. (This is a second-floor bedroom.) Actually, the piano needs to be tuned and voiced as the upper half has gone a bit sharp and it is a little brighter than it was when I tried it out. I suspect the move and sitting overnight in a cold trailer might have something to do with it. When all is done, then I will be able to tell you more, but right now I am enjoying it even though it needs tuning.

#1976380 - 10/20/12 05:42 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: scepticalforumguy]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Playagain
Now I'd like to hear about your BB delivery story, pianoloverus! Is there an old thread?
Yes, but I have no idea which thread has the story and it's a too lengthy to retype.

How about trying in four sentences or less? Kind of like the contest where novelists have to write a complete novel in a day, and they only get the theme the day they begin.

1. First time it didn't fit in the elevator despite my measurements to the nearest inch, scale drawing of the elevator, and assurances from dealer.

2. Lid was removed to shorten it by a couple of inches and the movers came back a few days later with the piano and lid wrapped in some kind of protective bubble wrap.

3. Made it into the elevator(not the type where ceiling can be removed)with only a few inches to spare.

4. Ahead of time request to not have the piano tilted on the lyre resulted in having one mover crouching under the piano with the piano on their back while the third leg was being installed. First two legs had attached with no problem, but the third leg had one of the movers yelling "It doesn't fit!". Had visions of piano crashing to floor and a dead mover lying underneath it. Was about to call NCIS and...

(Sorry, I ran out of sentences and can't finish.)

Edited by pianoloverus (10/21/12 07:53 PM)

#1976526 - 10/20/12 11:55 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: pianoloverus]
Playagain Offline

Pianoloverus,
Thanks for posting part of your piano move! Very interesting, and I'm sure that was stressful!
Kathy

#1976767 - 10/21/12 03:12 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
With regard to the sound in a small room, it's not bad. I still haven't put up curtains, wall hangings, pictures, etc. Still moving my things down from our old house. I have played mostly at half-stick or lid down. My wife says the piano is louder outside than in the house. (This is a second-floor bedroom.) Actually, the piano needs to be tuned and voiced as the upper half has gone a bit sharp and it is a little brighter than it was when I tried it out. I suspect the move and sitting overnight in a cold trailer might have something to do with it. When all is done, then I will be able to tell you more, but right now I am enjoying it even though it needs tuning.

Good to hear (except for those outside the house :D)

Of course it needs to be tuned, they all need that after transport. I think the first impressions are almost always right on so you're probably fine!

#1976794 - 10/21/12 04:50 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
The adjustable-height bench is especially a good idea, since your grandchildren will want to play the new Mason. Finding just the right height for yourself will help your shoulder, as long as your playing posture is satisfactory--- but that is a big subject, which can wait until after the first tuning, or longer.

A nice piano is one of the best investments you could have made for your retirement. But wait--- you say your wife is already complaining because it's too loud outside the house?

Hmmm...

#1976854 - 10/21/12 07:32 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not complaining--she just encouraged me not to play later in the evening so the neighbors won't be bothered. The houses here are a bit closer together than our old house. We had a lot more privacy in the other home. Still, I doubt if the neighbors will hear me.

#1977591 - 10/23/12 02:02 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Obviously, the piano will get its first in-home tuning soon, and until it does, the upper registers are a bit sharp (the piano was moved a long distance and spent a rather cool night on a trailer before coming into the house, but even as it is, it plays very nicely and has a pretty tone.

#1978029 - 10/24/12 01:23 PM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: pianoloverus]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted By: Playagain
Now I'd like to hear about your BB delivery story, pianoloverus! Is there an old thread?
Yes, but I have no idea which thread has the story and it's a too lengthy to retype.

How about trying in four sentences or less? Kind of like the contest where novelists have to write a complete novel in a day, and they only get the theme the day they begin.

1. First time it didn't fit in the elevator despite my measurements to the nearest inch, scale drawing of the elevator, and assurances from dealer.

2. Lid was removed to shorten it by a couple of inches and the movers came back a few days later with the piano and lid wrapped in some kind of protective bubble wrap.

3. Made it into the elevator(not the type where ceiling can be removed)with only a few inches to spare.

4. Ahead of time request to not have the piano tilted on the lyre resulted in having one mover crouching under the piano with the piano on their back while the third leg was being installed. First two legs had attached with no problem, but the third leg had one of the movers yelling "It doesn't fit!". Had visions of piano crashing to floor and a dead mover lying underneath it. Was about to call NCIS and...

(Sorry, I ran out of sentences and can't finish.)

Hi PL,

You know, my story is pretty much the same in many ways--except with these changes:

1. I had arranged with piano movers that swore up and down that they could fit the BB in my elevator if my SK2 fit in because they took my word that the pianos were the same width. I did tell them the SK2 was tight, and the previous movers refused to move a piano in that elevator again without me signing a waiver. The current movers also didn't come to measure first.
In the meantime, I had the dealer measure the width of the keyboard end. He said it was 61". I went to Kawai website and the Mason websites multiple times to check the width, not having measured the SK2 myself before it left my apartment. It turns out that the SK2 is 152cm, or 5'1" wide at the keyboard (anyone see the first problem here?) In the meantime, the Mason website CHANGED the width of the BB specs from 59" to 62.75"!!!!! Not sure when, but it did. This was all before the move. Needless to say, I was now very worried.
In any case the movers showed up. Halfway into the elevator (five guys on the job) the guys on the outside of the elevator yelling ITS NOT GOING TO FIT!!!!!! The guy on the inside yelling back YES IT IS--HE HAD A 6'6" IN HERE BEFORE!!! I didn't bother correcting him that it was a 5'10"

And....they made it fit! Although, they did drop it a few inches when unloading from the elevator. It was on a pallet though, and only the tail dropped. No cracking sounds so hopefully nothing was damaged.

and 4: They also had difficulty with the third leg with the one guy yelling IT DOESN'T FIT!!!! and the boss yelling back YOU NEED TO LINE UP THE BOLT and the first guy yelling I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING all the while the other two holding onto the piano so it doesn't crush the leg installer.

Its all good now. I too have played about 10 hours since I received it last Saturday.

#2279621 - 05/22/14 10:24 AM Re: My Mason-Hamlin BB is coming tomorrow! Yikes! [Re: Chopinlover49]
Piano_Brazil Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
Well, it is here! It was quite an experience. The movers arrived a little late, but not a problem. Everyone was really nice and they had come quite a distance, so I was expecting it to be an approximate arrival time. There were three movers. I showed them the stairs, and general path to the bedroom where the piano goes. The boss of the group, Brian, said they were going into the city to get some more help.

Quite a while later, they came back with two painters from a local home improvement store (not really piano-moving types, if you ask me.) Brian told me he called most of the piano stores in the city but once he told them he was delivering a Mason-Hamlin BB (1020 pounds), they said they had a lot to do, a previous engagement, or whatever. I guess this is a frequent problem.

Anyway, they did a great job, the piano went up the stairs, down the hall, and into the turning corner. These guys really huffed and puffed! I was glad I wasn't on the bottom pushing! Things slowed down there, but with a lot of wiggling, they got it around the corner, into the room, and set up. Even though the cost of delivery was quite a bit more than I had originally expected, after watching them move that tank up the 16 steep stairs, I gave Brian a big tip to split with the guys!

One small wrinkle, they brought the wrong piano bench by mistake. I don't think it was their fault because when they picked up the piano, there was no one at the site to direct them and the bench was disassembled in a sealed box. I guess arrangements had been made and a small mixup occurred.

I have spoken with Rich at Cunningham's and it will be taken care of so I am not concerned.

I took about 60 pictures, trying to stay out of the way as much as possible. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures up on the site, I will upload a few of them.

Thanks for all of your support. I am really thrilled with my new polished ebony piano! I think I have played about eight hours since yesterday. My shoulders are killing me!

I have just received my Mason BB here in Brazil, and posted the first pictures of it here

I can't see the pictures of yours, and am very interested on that, and also to get to know how do you feel about your instrument... Thanks a lot

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ABC Vermonter, accordeur, a-z0-9, 43 invisible), 1642 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292470 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
5 minutes 46 seconds ago
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Today at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Today at 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
Today at 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
Today at 07:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission