Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974297 - 10/16/12 10:04 PM Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look?
abcclio Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello. I am planning a trip on Thursday to look at a 1988 Weber WG-51 baby grand (SN 036262). I would like to know if anyone can speak to the quality of this piano. I have seen only pictures taken with a phone and have been told it is in good shape. It is a satin finish and looks a bit worn. I understand 1988 was the first year this model was made(by Young Chang), I believe in Korea? And it was only made for a few short years? First, is this worth looking at, and second, what might it be worth if it is in good shape (maybe needs just a tuning)? I have been doing tons of research, but still feel like I don't have a definitive answer about the quality of this piano. I am looking in Colorado for a good medium-quality piano for my 8-yr-old son, who has been playing for 4 years. My budget is about $4000 and I'd like the most piano my money can buy in a baby grand.
Thanks for any advice!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1974381 - 10/17/12 03:21 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Here's a direct quote from the 2001 "Piano Book" by Larry Fine:

"At the beginning, all Weber pianos were identical to the Young Changs except for slightly cheaper cabinets. Later, however, the two brands were considered to be of the same quality and sold for about the same price. Weber officials said that, as a rough rule of thumb, Weber piano models that were of the same size as Young Chang models were probably of identical scale design, thought there were cosmetic differences that might attract buyers to one brand or the other. Two Weber grand models made in sizes not available in the Young Chang line, 5'1" and 5'7" were designed for Weber by Ibach, the company says. "

In 2001 Fine rated the Korean built Webers (which included the WG-51) as "good" (on a scale of Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor." He listed them under "Medium-quality consumer grade pianos.

Quite frankly, if the piano looks good to you, you should still pay a piano tech to look at it and give you an assessment before you purchase it. Also, I'm guessing that $4K would be a bit too much to pay for the piano unless it is in pristine condition.

Do try to find out as much as you can about the piano's past history, maintenance records, etc.

Actually for $4K you could purchase a much newer and probably higher quality upright for your son.

Best of luck !!

#1974456 - 10/17/12 09:07 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: carey]
abcclio Offline

Wow, thank you so much! That is the best info I've gotten so far. I will definitely have a tech look at it, especially given its age. I also came across a 1991 Kawai GE-1 last night. I spoke with a dealer in our area and was told the GE-1 is a poor piano in the Kawai line. I guess I was not aware that Kawai made a poor piano. Is this true? If it were a quality piano, I think I might be getting more for my money than the Weber. I actually don't yet know what the seller wants for the Weber, but the Kawai is at $4000.

#1974467 - 10/17/12 09:31 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Depends on your definition of poor. I would say that in my piano search, the Kawais that were close to my price range (the entry level Kawais) were not as nice as their higher end models. I guess that was obvious.

Where in Colorado are you? Check craigslist - lots of choices out there.

#1974489 - 10/17/12 10:43 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
abcclio Offline

Yes, I keep an eagle-eye on Craig's list. I am looking for a mid-level piano, not an entry level, and I know with a budget of $4000, I am going to have to work hard to find it. Would a GE-1 be considered entry level or is it relative? Meaning, is an entry level Kawai a pretty nice piano, comparatively--because it a Kawai?

#1974587 - 10/17/12 02:05 PM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: abcclio
Yes, I keep an eagle-eye on Craig's list. I am looking for a mid-level piano, not an entry level, and I know with a budget of $4000, I am going to have to work hard to find it. Would a GE-1 be considered entry level or is it relative? Meaning, is an entry level Kawai a pretty nice piano, comparatively--because it a Kawai?

A GE-1 would be considered to be at about the same level as the Weber - i.e., a step above entry level. And again - much depends on how the piano has been used and maintained over the years. Even Yamaha makes entry level instruments - along with their higher quality models.

I would encourage you not to rush the process - and please don't hestiate to continue to ask questions here.

Also - use Larry Fine's Piano Buyer supplement (see link on this website) as a starting point.

Best -

#1974815 - 10/17/12 07:18 PM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: carey]
abcclio Offline

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the Piano World community! I am off to look at the Weber and the Kawai. Now I have to get over my fear of actually buying one of these if they turn out to be good pianos for our family. I'm always worried that something better will appear and I'll have spent my money!

#1974892 - 10/17/12 10:06 PM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Originally Posted By: abcclio
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the Piano World community! I am off to look at the Weber and the Kawai. Now I have to get over my fear of actually buying one of these if they turn out to be good pianos for our family. I'm always worried that something better will appear and I'll have spent my money!

Easy way to make sure this does not happen, once you buy ..... Stop shopping!

#1974971 - 10/18/12 01:47 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
OG Ryder Offline

Loc: San Diego
I bought my first piano in April, a Weber WG-57 and I love it. It's a 1994 and I bought it from the original owner who was moving back up north and was parting ways. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't even in the market for an Asian piano but when I sat down at this instrument it just blew me away (coming from playing my friends' early 1900s Knabe and Chickering) It's beautiful black polish and is quite stunning when you peek inside.

With so many options, I just trusted my gut feeling with this and realized at some point you just have to go for it! It was listed at 3500.00 and we "split middles" and walked away with it for 2900.00, including an artist bench, light, and caster cups.

I'm super happy with the overall value, and most importantly the way it feels and sounds.

#1974972 - 10/18/12 01:50 AM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
OG Ryder Offline

Loc: San Diego
I forgot to mention it is addicting...now I want to buy a few more pianos and start a collection.

#1975274 - 10/18/12 03:52 PM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: OG Ryder]
abcclio Offline

Well, we bought the Kawai today, $4000. It is beautiful and in excellent condition. It has wonderful sound quality. Our son had a chance to go with us to look at it and he loved it, too. Thank you to all for your advice. This really is an awesome forum.

#1975282 - 10/18/12 04:17 PM Re: Weber WG-51, 1988--worth a look? [Re: abcclio]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your new-to-you Kawai piano! I'm sure you and your family will enjoy many years of making beautiful music with it!

Post pictures when you can! :-)

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (*windowlicker*, accordeur, aesop, 36251, 46 invisible), 1625 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75889 Members
42 Forums
156817 Topics
2304200 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
08/20/14 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
08/20/14 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
08/20/14 04:59 PM
CLP 585 - CS 10 - LX 15e
by bhmpower
08/20/14 04:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission