Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1975293 - 10/18/12 04:32 PM Voicing or Piano's Real Sound
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
I am in the midst of reading Grand Obssession which has been an eye opener with regards to the impact voicing has on a piano's sound. I would like to know (specifically from the dealers on this forum) how many new pianos are voiced vs. sold to the customer with its intrinsic sound? Do dealers typically leave voicing to the manufacturer? I'd like to know ho many dealers make this a routine when showing new pianos on the showroom floor?

In searching for a piano, I've been focused on the tonal quality of the different makes and models I have been playing. However, if voicing can change the tone of a piano drastically, how much of what I am hearing is really the magic of a technician's skill vs the actual piano as designed? Moreover, since voicing is fleeting, isn't the customer deceived into falling for a piano voiced by a dealer as opposed to finding a piano that has the intrinsic sound the customer is looking for?

I'd also like to know if voicing by dealers risks ruining the hammers as was Perri Knize's concern with the deep needling of her Grotrians' hammers in Grand Obsession? (She refers to "swelling" of the hammers noted by her tech examining the hammers. Keep in mind I have not finished reading the book and do not know if in fact her hammers were in fact damaged, as was alluded to in the chapter I am reading.)

Finally, would I be better off looking for a piano that has NOT been voiced before purchase? I'd like to hear from dealers and non-dealers alike.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1975352 - 10/18/12 06:40 PM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Hi Grandman

There are levels of voicing, but all pianos have to have some voicing done because raw hammers generally sound terrible. The factory tries to do as little as possible and assumes the dealer will optimize the tone. The extent to which dealers actually do that depends on the dealer and the price of the piano.

I read Peri's book and have to say that voicing did become an obsession, but the principle is true. High quality pianos have a particular tone that is brought out by careful voicing, but that tone can also be destroyed by improper voicing.

Voicing is a tricky craft. Some brands of hammers require deep shoulder needling to bring out the best tone, others should only have careful strike point needling (really potentially dangerous, but a necessary technique).

What kind of piano are you looking for (brand, size etc). With that info some members might be able to give you an idea of the kind of voicing that might be beneficial...perhaps none beyond what the factory did.

#1975358 - 10/18/12 06:52 PM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: BoseEric]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Thank you, Boseeric. So, it seems all new pianos will require some form of voicing. Perry mentions in her book that her hammers had swelling due to deep needling and chemical application. Is this usual for a new piano? Can a consumer tell if hammers have been overly voiced by checking for swelling? How does one know whether one is listening to a piano's intrinsic sound or a masked sound that is temporary? I would like to know if dealers sell pianos that they know will lose its tone in a year or so due to masked voicing. As you know, Perri's problem began when the voicing wore off in her home.

Edited by Grandman (10/18/12 06:54 PM)

#1975388 - 10/18/12 07:47 PM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Grandman
Perry mentions in her book that her hammers had swelling due to deep needling and chemical application. Is this usual for a new piano? Can a consumer tell if hammers have been overly voiced by checking for swelling?

Hammers will puff out when deep needled. It is unavoidable. The hammers should then be filed to return their proper shape. In my experience, it really is extremely difficult to over needle hammers if you don't go into the crown. Your arm will probably fall off, first, because it is a very tiring process. If a technician manages to over voice a hammer, there are techniques to reverse it.

It should be noted, however, that not all hammers need deep needling.

How does one know whether one is listening to a piano's intrinsic sound or a masked sound that is temporary? I would like to know if dealers sell pianos that they know will lose its tone in a year or so due to masked voicing. As you know, Perri's problem began when the voicing wore off in her home.

All voicing is temporary, especially fine-level voicing. Pianos require periodic voicing to maintain their sound, and the degree to which this is needed depends on the type of hammer and the amount and type of use the piano gets. If you have a technician who is competent with voicing, and communicating with their customers, you shouldn't have any problems in this regard.

Now, I can't comment on Perry's experience because I wasn't there, and haven't read the book, but my impression based off of what I've heard is that the technician was not a skilled voicer.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1975403 - 10/18/12 08:49 PM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Thank you, Boseeric. So, it seems all new pianos will require some form of voicing. Perry mentions in her book that her hammers had swelling due to deep needling and chemical application. Is this usual for a new piano? Can a consumer tell if hammers have been overly voiced by checking for swelling? How does one know whether one is listening to a piano's intrinsic sound or a masked sound that is temporary? I would like to know if dealers sell pianos that they know will lose its tone in a year or so due to masked voicing. As you know, Perri's problem began when the voicing wore off in her home.
When you finish the book I think you will find that it turns out that voicing was not the problem. Also, if I remember correctly(not sure here) the problem appeared soon after she received her piano.

#1975406 - 10/18/12 08:51 PM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I did not need to finish reading the book to know that. Voicing was the less likely of the two possible solutions.

#1975500 - 10/19/12 02:25 AM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'd also like to know if voicing by dealers risks ruining the hammers as was Perri Knize's concern with the deep needling of her Grotrians' hammers in Grand Obsession? (She refers to "swelling" of the hammers noted by her tech examining the hammers. Keep in mind I have not finished reading the book and do not know if in fact her hammers were in fact damaged, as was alluded to in the chapter I am reading.)

i'll let others in the industry answer your other questions. but i can answer this one--you need to finish reading the book to get the answer. it's a detective story and you wouldn't want to spoil the suspense, would you?

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#1975502 - 10/19/12 02:26 AM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: beethoven986]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
my impression based off of what I've heard is that the technician was not a skilled voicer

not at all true! quite the opposite!

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#1975556 - 10/19/12 07:57 AM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A few comments to your questions. First, let's start with the buyer. You must understand that whatever you hear in the dealer's showroom will be different than what you hear in your home or the piano's new location. The acoustics will almost always be different. If the piano was to be voiced for optimal sound at the dealer's location, that, in all likelihood, would not have relevance to where the piano ultimately winds up. Secondly, you are assuming, I believe wrongly, that the dealer spends the time and resources to optimize the piano via tuning, voicing and regulation. While there are certainly examples of dealers that do that, some of them being members of this forum, I can tell you that they are few and far between. Also, not all have access to highly skilled "voicers". Next, your assumption that a given piano has an inherent "sound" that is engineered into it. It doesn't quite work this way. Any given piano can be changed, in some instances quite radically, by certain aftermarket additions. The two that come to mind immediately are hammers and the addition of a Wapin bridge. Switching from a stock hammer like those commonly found on an older Yamaha, to one along the lines of an Abel Encore or Ronsen Weickert Felt can make a HUGE difference in the harmonics and warmth the piano becomes capable of producing. I have found that these hammers often do not need voicing, and are wonderful right out of the box. A Wapin bridge can add considerable clarity and sustain and eliminate many undesirable overtones. Tuning is another crucial component. A piano should NEVER be voiced until it is thoroughly and properly tuned. Addition of a more complex temperament, like Bill Bremmer's EBVT III that is often discussed here, can considerably alter the piano's "inherent" sound to add richness and complexity. So, if you find a piano with the "bones" you are seeking, a great tech can successfully take it to its optimal level, but should do so only after it is comfortably in your home and after having explained all these options to you and what you can expect from each.

#1975592 - 10/19/12 09:27 AM Re: Voicing or Piano's Real Sound [Re: Grandman]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
CC makes some excellent points. I would add that the process of optimizing the voicing of a quality piano in the home takes time - usually at least 3 visits over the first year.

One of the major difficulties comes from the fact that "language" is based on reason and the evaluation of tone quality on subjective experience. Simply said it is very difficult for a good player to give their voicer an accurate description of what they seek in tone quality.

It often comes down to trial and error, but eventually it usually all works out.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (A Guy, a-z0-9, ajames, 40 invisible), 1482 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156240 Topics
2294585 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
Digital keyboard actions and price range question.
by Indra123
07/28/14 10:44 PM
First-time piano buyer: budget under 10k
by Michael101467
07/28/14 10:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission