Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1975295 - 10/18/12 04:37 PM theory book filled with errors... What to do?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I have this small situation, although the tendency to 'do nothing' seems to be wise right now... :-/

I have an adult student and we're getting along fine. So when he asked me for more books, etc, I offered to go and buy them for him. Since I can also get a discount as a music teacher, I could save him some $$$...

All this is fine, but the theory book I bought is AWFUL. It's got several errors, typos, non cleaned layout (the words actually are ON the staves, not above or bellow, which makes it hard to read) and above all there's NO mention about music rests! NOTHING at all!

I mean ok, one could get away with a few typos (I should know about that), but to actually do NOT have any information about rests?!?!? Come on... It's a basic theory book!

So my question and dilemma:

The publisher is the best known publisher in Greece and they have the biggest line of stores here. My scores are in their stores.

So do I call them to let them know that this book SUCKS? Do I offer a public review? Do I remain silent? It's an AWFUL book, I repeat that! frown And it cost almost 27$!!! including the teachers discount.

Ideas?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1975300 - 10/18/12 04:44 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Musicians are not the best writers in the world. Some of the theory textbooks my students are using for their music class in school are just ___________ (fill in with your worst adjective).

Why don't you just teach the theory by yourself? You can make your own worksheets easily with Finale. It's probably better than anything you can buy, really.

#1975303 - 10/18/12 04:50 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

time restrains AZN! No wife at home, and multi businesses running...

But really, since it's published it should go through a few proof reads. This is a publisher that has published literally thousands of books, so they MUST know the drill by now! :P

And it's not the language that I'm bothered with, it's the obvious errors and missing info... :-/ This is not about how good a writer the musician is, but how carefully it was proof read... frown

#1975304 - 10/18/12 04:52 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
You could offer to make the corrections for them . . . for a price . . .

#1975310 - 10/18/12 05:06 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think you absolutely need to let them know about the errors -- but unfortunately it probably won't help YOU out. frown

#1975370 - 10/18/12 07:16 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Write your own book, and give them first option at publishing it!

#1975380 - 10/18/12 07:26 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Nikolas, my first thought is that I simply would not buy that book again. But then I saw Minniemay's response. I like that idea better. smile

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1975393 - 10/18/12 08:01 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
Return it. If enough people do they'll get the message.

Big Mama Yama U1

#1975431 - 10/18/12 10:19 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Definitely return the book! There is a difference between simply not liking a book and being able to cite multiple problems with it that should NOT be present.

I'm not sure what your options are in Greece, but that wouldn't fly here in the states...

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1975454 - 10/18/12 11:18 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Oh, I will return it alright. But I think that the people in the company should know that the released a sucky book!

I can't ask them to publish anything, since I have my own publishing company. This is the main problem here. That we are practically rivals in the same country, so anything I say that goes a step too far will look like an aggressive move from musica ferrum... :-/

#1975458 - 10/18/12 11:28 PM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
If anything, it could be seen as a sign of good will and non-aggression...

"I noticed the following serious errors in your text, and I do feel the book would receive better reviews and thus sell more if you correct them, as well as many more that I cannot afford the time to list."

Something to that effect.

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1975657 - 10/19/12 11:32 AM Re: theory book filled with errors... What to do? [Re: Nikolas]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...anything I say that goes a step too far will look like an aggressive move..."

From you, Nikolas? There are some people who post here that I might be worried about (maybe even myself), but hardly from you.

The previous poster's suggestion as to form was pretty good. Mention the most egregious errors, and add that the product was so flawed that you had to return it, and will not be able to recommend it to your students.

I daresay they've already gotten a few of these, and a single glance will tell them the rest.

BTW, this is one reason I like to buy books of all kinds, in person, from stores where I can see them. Many things can go wrong with printing, binding, editing, choice of sizes for papers and types.

Trust to your natural gentlemanly character when you are writing this note, and you will be fine.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (Aibohphobia, ajames, Abby Pianoman, 36251, AndrewAJC, anotherscott, 31 invisible), 1566 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155810 Topics
2287842 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Artist Series...What does that mean?
by Piano Practice
07/12/14 10:54 AM
Classical Pianists don't want a better piano?
by Jeff Petsinger
07/12/14 10:41 AM
Jarrod Radnich
by Music Heals
07/12/14 10:26 AM
Happy Birthday transcribed for Organ
by musdan
07/12/14 09:09 AM
How do you get $1,000-2,000 for an Out-of-Tune piano??!!?
by Paul678
07/12/14 09:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission