2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
Sam S - Oh, please don't start making those of us behind you feel bad for submitting oft-played pieces! I suspect that every piece I play is on that list. smile

Hmmm, I've got to polish something if I'm going to submit... I've got a Clementi sonatina movement and two short Schumann things (from "Album for the Young"... Hey, maybe MaryAnn and I can make it a Schumann-fest!) to choose from, since Fur Elise won't be ready until some distant, distant recital in 2013 (if I'm lucky)...

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
M
M
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Melodie in F? And it's a great experience - you should join in the fun!

I meant Schumann's Melodie from Album for the Young. It sounds like I should check out this other Melodie (though perhaps not for the recital) :-)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Valencia
just curious, what constitutes "submittable" for the purposes of the recital?

The goal of the recital is to provide a snapshot of where you are in your piano journey at the time of the recital. So basically anything is "submittable," as long as it's your own playing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
My last "madness" was to pick up a melody of Einaudi and invent some variations. Maybe I'll do a recording and send it to this recital.

Ooh ooh ooh! I vote you do this! And I'll admit to great curiosity as to what this Einaudi melody is. "I giorni", perhaps???

Sorry Monika, but it's not "I giorni".

It's a much easier and short melody. I took the melody of "Canzone Popolare (1500 ca.)" from The Best of Ludovico Einaudi book, and I did some variations using similar chords. It's nothing serious, It's just a "game" I decided to do and it's not yet finished.
It's funny to play freely smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
D
I'm planning on Beethoven Rondo Op51#2 - but it's going to have 'rough spots'.
I started it 23 years ago but my teacher declared it to be "Not interesting enough" so I moved on leaving it unfinished...

...fast forward all those years and the music bubbled up in a pile I was looking for, so I figured I'd see if I could pick up where I left off.

It may not be the most dramatic or sophisticated piece Beethoven wrote, but I'm beginning to like it and it's kind of a bit of a Beethoven warm up before I try and brutally hack through the Pathetique 1st movement and do terrible damage to listeners ears and my ego.

Not sure what daughter will play - we'll see what's best suited to a performance when We get time to do some recording.

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
M
M
Originally Posted by bessel
Sam S - Oh, please don't start making those of us behind you feel bad for submitting oft-played pieces! I suspect that every piece I play is on that list. smile

Hmmm, I've got to polish something if I'm going to submit... I've got a Clementi sonatina movement and two short Schumann things (from "Album for the Young"... Hey, maybe MaryAnn and I can make it a Schumann-fest!) to choose from, since Fur Elise won't be ready until some distant, distant recital in 2013 (if I'm lucky)...

How did I miss this earlier. A Schumann fest! *swoon* I can do 1 and maybe 5 (Stuckchen) in a pinch, but no. 16 (erster verlust) will never be ready. Which ones would you do?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty sure there's no way I will get the piano tuned and have something decent in time for this one.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Thanks Monica. smile Sounds like fun, though I don't know if I am brave enough to submit anything this next round. My pieces are all (always) in such a middle stage. Plus my recording set-up is not great. We'll see....

B
B
Originally Posted by MaryAnn

How did I miss this earlier. A Schumann fest! *swoon* I can do 1 and maybe 5 (Stuckchen) in a pinch, but no. 16 (erster verlust) will never be ready. Which ones would you do?

MaryAnn -

I should be able to do "The Happy Farmer, Returning from Work" (#10) and "Wild Horseman" (#8)... the latter needs some polishing on the part where the left hand carries the melody, but I think I can manage it in time...

We have a miracle of no-overlap... We should go for it, and maybe we could even submit next to eachother and force everyone to listen to a long block of Schumann. smile Whaddya say?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This time I'm going to finally make good on an old promise and play a re-arranged cover version of Metallicas 'Nothing Else Matters'.

While this is a hard rock piece, my piano version some how is more of a ballad. It is extremely fun to play and is literally up and down the entire keyboard throughout much of the piece.

I may even attempt a video if I get some time. I managed to bust the ears off my backhoe bucket today and need to spend the next few days heating and beating the twisted parts back into submission.

M
M
MaryAnn -

I should be able to do "The Happy Farmer, Returning from Work" (#10) and "Wild Horseman" (#8)... the latter needs some polishing on the part where the left hand carries the melody, but I think I can manage it in time...

We have a miracle of no-overlap... We should go for it, and maybe we could even submit next to eachother and force everyone to listen to a long block of Schumann. smile Whaddya say?

Sounds like a plan. I can almost definitely get Melodie (#1) recorded in time. If my left wrist stays injury free, I should be able to record Stuckchen in time as well (#5). I'll keep in touch...

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
"Nothing Else Matters (But the Ears on My Backhoe Bucket)" - sounds like a recital piece to me smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
B
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
MaryAnn -

Sounds like a plan. I can almost definitely get Melodie (#1) recorded in time. If my left wrist stays injury free, I should be able to record Stuckchen in time as well (#5). I'll keep in touch...

Great! Good luck with your wrist, I hope it stays well...

B
B
Originally Posted by jotur
"Nothing Else Matters (But the Ears on My Backhoe Bucket)" - sounds like a recital piece to me smile

Cathy

Or was it "Heating and Beating My Twisted Ears"?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Last lesson my teacher gave the 'finished' sign on a piece so that will be the one for this time smile Just made a few pretty acceptable recordings. Maybe I will give it another try next week with a bit more speed

>Now, there's only the minor issue of getting it recorded. Ah, can't be too difficult, right?!

Wrong! Making a good recording is an art, don't underestimate it! You need good mics, good recorder, a good piano in a good sounding room, etc you get the picture!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm finally learning some Chopin Preludes. I'm a little shy about presenting them in a recital though - everybody knows them and plays them! It's much easier to play something more obscure for the recital.

Sam

Sam, I'm sure whatever you present will be awesome. Just do it!

Meanwhile my piece, I think, is fairly obscure and short grin

On a side note, Sam, you've inspired me to pursue Mendelssohn, and I'm diligently working on that. smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano

On a side note, Sam, you've inspired me to pursue Mendelssohn, and I'm diligently working on that. smile

Mendelssohn is a great training ground. They are wonderful pieces by themselves, but they also teach you so much. Many times in my lessons I will be struggling with something difficult, and my teacher will say, "The technique you use here is just like that Mendelssohn piece that you did."

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Oh boy! I got my piano tuned today, and my Glass piece is as good as I'm going to get it. Now all I need is a few hours of peace and quiet to attempt a recording... but that's not gonna happen until next week sometime.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm kind of excited. I've been working on this composition for six months and even had a video in mind for the piece. I recorded it last week and finished the video a few days ago. It's almost ten minutes long so I broke my first rule, keep it short and sweet. So I probably lost half the listeners right there. Ah well.... but I really like this one. I just can't figure out if it's Jazz, Philip Glass or what.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I'm finally learning some Chopin Preludes. I'm a little shy about presenting them in a recital though - everybody knows them and plays them! It's much easier to play something more obscure for the recital.Sam

I thought that before submitting the E minor last time but, you know, we're all pretty accepting. Bonus marks if it's not number 4, number 7, number 15 or number 20 though wink

P.S. I'll submit number 20 sometime so no bonus marks for me!

It's either 9 or 15. 15 (the "Raindrop") has definitely been overdone in the recitals. But looking through the index I don't see 9 anywhere. So it just might be #9.

Sam

Sam, I don't think we could ever get too much "Raindrop". If you have it down I'd vote for that one.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission