Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974986 - 10/18/12 02:39 AM Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones
newinstru? Offline

Loc: SoCal
The thread about going ahead in the music has prompted me to ask this question. My daughter's teacher has encouraged my daughter (8 yrs old ...... Just started Helen Marlais' book 1.....has had lessons for six months) to go ahead in her book if she wants to. She gives her 6 or 7 pieces from the books a week. She learns them quite quickly. I do think it has helped her note reading, but I'm wondering.....is this typical? Or would you tend to assign fewer pieces that are a little more of a challenge?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1975000 - 10/18/12 03:30 AM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
So, your 7- to 8-year-old daughter has just spent 6 months on the Succeeding at the Piano Preparatory Book. Honestly, that's just about normal progress, if not slightly below normal. Most of my students blow right through that book in 2-3 months. Is your daughter having 30-minute lessons every other week? Also, have you been using the accompanying CD? The CD is extremely helpful.

I'd have to say that what you are describing is fairly typical among average students. 6-7 "easy" pieces per week is just about right. Helen Marlais interwove difficult and easy music so that the entire book is not one giant uphill climb. In fact, I think Alfred Premier picked up on that concept of cyclic pacing as well. Both series do a wonderful job teaching all the basics in a logical fashion. In contrast, John Thompson assumed all children are prodigies.

Thus, the best thing for you is probably to trust the book's author (who based her writing on the latest pedagogical research) and let your daughter's teacher continue teaching her way. I'm sure the teacher will appreciate a less "hands-on" parent at this point of your daughter's musical journey.

#1975073 - 10/18/12 08:35 AM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
Crayola Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
You may have reason to be concerned if you're asking this same question 2-3 years down the road. If your child is playing early or intermediate classical music and is passing several pieces each week, that would be a problem, as the music will become more challenging, and there will be more focus on tone and technique and mastery of various skills. Perhaps at this stage in the game, quantity IS quality. I would only be concerned if she's being passed while playing them poorly.

#1975430 - 10/18/12 10:16 PM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
pianogirl87 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I've never used the Marlais book (though I do have it in my pedagogy library). But honestly, with all methods, it all depends on what the student can handle. If your daughter can play and pick up pieces quickly, there's no reason why she shouldn't be learning that many pieces. Especially if some pieces are easier than others. Most likely, as she advances, the number of pieces will go down, due to the fact that music is more challenging and there is more to focus on with each piece.

#1975436 - 10/18/12 10:36 PM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
newinstru? Offline

Thank your everyone. I've decided to continue on, but just a little faster as she needs a little more of a challenge. I've had her do a few extra, with the encouragement and blessing of the teacher, and although it's only been a few days it seems to be working out nicely.

Edited by newinstru? (10/18/12 10:36 PM)

#1975459 - 10/18/12 11:29 PM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
MaggieGirl Offline

I have no idea about the book or number of pieces.

I just thought I'd share - my daughter gets one or two pieces that have to be worked on. For example her recital piece. She has had it memorized for over a month but it requires a lot of polish. So at every lesson there is a "project". Then there is another piece that takes usually two lessons to pass. Finally there are etudes and book pieces. Those - she usually gets new ones with each lesson.

It is important to her teacher that she have a "repertoire" of memorized pieces so it is expected she memorize almost all of her music (there are exceptions for simple book pieces that are covering a skill that she does well).

I don't know why it's important that she memorize music that she doesn't perform for recitals, but it has been nice for someone to ask her to play and she can have a mini concert.

Anyway, I wonder if "more" isn't necessary, just a piece or two that gives your child stretch.

Edited by MaggieGirl (10/18/12 11:31 PM)

#1975499 - 10/19/12 02:16 AM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
newinstru? Offline

Maggie, it sounds like your daughter is further along than mine. Mine is in the beginning of Helen Marlais' book 1, and will get her first recital piece soon. Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like she is working on several things at once too.

#1975603 - 10/19/12 09:52 AM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: newinstru?]
MaggieGirl Offline

Not by much! She started piano just over a year ago. This is how her teacher has been teaching since the very beginning. Her first recital was last November - less than 6 months of playing. It was a simple piece that she started working on with her after 2 months.

#1975890 - 10/19/12 07:04 PM Re: Several easy ones or fewer more challenging ones [Re: MaggieGirl]
newinstru? Offline

I like the idea of your daughter doing her regular (if I'm reading you right) pieces that she learns quickly, and then having one or two that take a little longer. And I like the repertoire idea too.

I initially posted because I think I was a little frustrated with my daughter's progress. Though no prodigy, she is quite capable. She wasn't self motivated to go through her books, I wasn't pushing or always making sure she practiced enough. We are both much more consistent now, practice is good, I'm having her do more that the teacher requires, and that seems to be okay.

I posted shortly after she got her next book, and I was irritated, looking front to back, at what seemed to me LOTS of pieces to get not very far technically, or theoretically. Bottom line, I grew up with John Thompson ( in the beginning), and all these different little books, with lots of little songs to learn every week were bugging me. I like simple.

Anyway, that's the background, and I wasn't looking for Thompson per se, after reading some opinions on here about it, but maybe something .......... also, I thought the music in her books was boring, although since I've been having her do more she has been liking it more. I also think, that even though I'm bugged, all those little songs have been good for her note reading. So I am biting the bullet and plowing through.

Thanks for your story. I'm always learning..........

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
101 registered (Al LaPorte, A Guy, andriy555, AZ_Astro, 35 invisible), 1048 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission