2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
My 2 cents: She's a good pianist, but without the aid of YouTube she would never have gained the notoriety that she has today.

^ Agreed. She's a very good pianist, but among the pros, I don't think she's that special, certainly not as special as her fame would suggest. But good for her for finding a way to make a name for herself using technology. I think we would all rather have 20 more of her than one more Bieber.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd take Valentina over Lang Lang any day.

And she is very clever to be exploiting modern technologies. I predicted many years ago that it would turn out well for her and I was right. Its a shame very few other pianists have caught on.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by debrucey
And she is very clever to be exploiting modern technologies. I predicted many years ago that it would turn out well for her and I was right. Its a shame very few other pianists have caught on.

So true !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I couldn't bear to read some of the comments here but I think that a lot of you are overreacting. Why do you care so much? She is doing her thing, the way she wants. We are all supposed to do that.

If you do not know someone personally how do you know what music is to them and how can you judge her? Even if you read a thousand interviews or watch all her videos or see her live, you will not know or understand even a fraction of her personality and why she does what she does. It's good that your thoughts and opinions have absolutely no effect on her situation and can't really hurt what she'd doing because it would be sad otherwise. I sure hope she never gets discouraged by such pointless rantings.
Music just is, stop trying to explain it. It's for everyone.

Last edited by Teodor; 09/13/12 04:09 PM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by klaviero
IMO Valentina is the best pianist out there. I am no expert when it comes to the piano as I am just starting to learn to play but I think I have a good ear and I can say that her playing is superior to a lot of other pianists. Then again it most probably is a question of personal taste.

I'm sure there are people out there who would think the food at Olive Garden is better than the food at Per se...again, it's just personal taste.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey

I agree with all of this, and it's fantastic for her, even if VL isn't one of my favorite pianists.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Teodor

If you do not know someone personally how do you know what music is to them and how can you judge her? Even if you read a thousand interviews or watch all her videos or see her live, you will not know or understand even a fraction of her personality and why she does what she does. It's good that your thoughts and opinions have absolutely no effect on her situation and can't really hurt what she'd doing because it would be sad otherwise. I sure hope she never gets discouraged by such pointless rantings.
Music just is, stop trying to explain it. It's for everyone.

Teodor,

I'm sure VL would appreciate your comments if she were to ever read them. Public forums tend to attract people who wish to tear down others. This is a fact of life. In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so. In general criticism reflects poorly on the critic, less so on the target of criticism.

It all reminds me of the words found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very well said, Steve. Excellent post. thumb

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
I
IJR Offline
I
She certainly has used youtube to her advantage. I don't really agree with a lot of her interpretations, but I greatly respect her not just as an artist but also as a musician in general.

M
M
Kreisel or whatever: you are extremely rude. i shall never speak to you again.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I love Valentina Lisitsa. I think she is a phenomenal pianist, and actually, a great artist. I think she has brought serious classical music to the masses, sort of like a connoisseurs Lang Lang - who is also excellent.

She has used youtube to her advantage, to bring her outstanding repertoire to a wider audience, and I think we should all be grateful that someone like her is flying the flag for the piano.

YAMAHA Artist
J
J
Well stated, PianoJerome! Shy not only plays, but mastered all 24 Chopin Etudes-very few pianists can claim to have that accomplishment. I've heard a lot of her Rachmaninoff, and I think it's wonderful, as is her Liszt. Some of her Chopin, I'm not too fond of her interpretation (for me the Op 53 Polonaise is a good example), but she plays everything exceptionally well. One of the problems with our "calling" is, there are too many snobs, which sadly kills young people's interest in this wonderful music. Ms. Lisitsa is a breath of fresh air, and I think if there were more like her, we could collectively rekindle interest in what the youngsters now refer to as "dead-guy music.". She's incredibly talented, approachable, all over YouTube, and most of her recordings are available for free on her web site just because she enjoys entertaining people. We need more people with her talent and attitude toward the public. She's humble and gifted, and that is enough for me. I love Horowitz' playing, but he was a snob. Always wanted to attend one of his performances, but he refused to come to Denver because he didn't like the concert hall here. Most other masters seemed to do well here, but not good enough for him? Ha!

J
J
Well, Horowitz broke the opening chords. His hands weren't any larger than mine. LOTS of excellent pianists do it. Most people don't have hands the size of Liszt or Rachmaninoff.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
I've heard that Rachmaninoff helped at least one small-handed person rewrite those opening chords in the 2nd to make them playable (instead of, as was suggested in another post, telling the person to play a different concerto). Too bad he didn't provide an ossia in the score. Maybe we should just be grateful that he didn't write a lot more stuff unreachable-by-regular-hands than he did.

And, yes, judging from the various YouTube clips, Lisitsa is not a very interesting musician, although she can play way fast. Too robotic and too reliant on technique effects for my taste. But I'll admit that when I was much younger, I might have felt differently. Funny how time changes one's perspective...

But why are there so many these proponents of insubstantial virtuosity all over the place right now? It's practically like the middle of the 19th century is being replayed all over again. These virtuosi are just crawling out of the woodwork, and seem to have found an audience of extremely avid fans. It's really very strange.

Although I understand the "wow" factor (and enjoy it a lot myself), I also think that there are other factors in music that are at least as important. Make that "more important". It really is disturbing to me that a lot of people seem not to have any idea at all of why high-level technical prowess together with just a rudimentary, barely cultivated musicality just doesn't add up to "great".

Big bump is big...
Wr's post is probably one of the most (if not the most) sensible posts in this thread.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's one of the things which really annoys me about certain people on this forum.
Everything they say is law. If they like a pianist, or an interpretation, then it must be the best in the world. If they don't like it, then it's clearly overrated and it is a pile of cow dung.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so.

Not always true.. having an opinion can be a good thing laugh I've seen (as we all have) successful, famous people criticizing someone else. But so what? Not everybody is going to like what you do. And THAT is a fact of life. We just have to accept it and move on. There's no point in trying to please everybody, it is impossible. There are people that surely think Richter was a "bad pianist". You just have to forget about it. But I really don't think criticism is always such a bad thing, especially when justified or constructive.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

In my experience the more successful a person is the less likely they are to criticize others, unless there is some tangible advantage to be gained by doing so.

Not always true.. having an opinion can be a good thing laugh I've seen (as we all have) successful, famous people criticizing someone else. But so what? Not everybody is going to like what you do. And THAT is a fact of life. We just have to accept it and move on. There's no point in trying to please everybody, it is impossible. There are people that surely think Richter was a "bad pianist". You just have to forget about it. But I really don't think criticism is always such a bad thing, especially when justified or constructive.

Having an opinion and expressing it are two different things. My point is that successful people are less likely to criticise another successful person unless there's something to be gained by doing so, e.g. Donald Trump criticizing the President. Once Obama is a former President all the criticism will fade away and he'll become a beloved elder statesman like Clinton. You are very correct in that you can't please everyone, I guess the trick is to displease those who are less inclined to express their opinion.

Frankly, the whole criticism of VL that she's unmusical and would be nothing without Youtube is moot. She's used Youtube to gain notoriety and now that she has it the peanut gallery is having its say. The fact is she's gained notoriety and how she's done it is irrelevant.

Some could accuse me of unmusical playing because when I play my own pieces I don't indulge in the rubato that Cinnamonbear does (his recordings are posted in Member recordings). To me his interpretations are effective and interesting, but I feel mine are as well.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
(Insert argument here)

Originally Posted by jdott
Well stated, PianoJerome! She not only plays, but mastered all 24 Chopin Etudes-very few pianists can claim to have that accomplishment.

GREAT SCOTT JDOTT !!! Not only have you (yet again) resurrected an ancient thread here but now you are responding to someone who hasn't posted on the thread since 2007 and hasn't participated in PW since August 2012.

Why not simply start a new thread/topic and converse with members who are currently active?? crazy

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission