2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1971942 10/11/12 05:34 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
last movement, the G-octaves, recurring all the time, at the end dropping 2 semitones, constantly stopping the process of a happy stroll, what do you think about these, and, for that matter, about the 'false' victory at the end?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
dolce sfogato #1971966 10/11/12 06:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Why do think it's a "false victory" at the end?

dolce sfogato #1971982 10/11/12 06:36 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
because the whole sonata has a 'tired, valedictory, used-up' character and is in no way a podiumpiece to star the performer, it's a companionpiece to it's 2 sisters and the stringquintet, it's Schubert's last word in instrumental music, it's out of this world, it's a forced happy-ending, it's a formula, it's a forced point to the last sentence.

dolce sfogato #1971985 10/11/12 06:45 PM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
It bugs me when people play this movement casually. Even the slowest performers of the 'Cello Quintet give the last movement its due energy; why do we forgive pianists who fail to do this? For that matter, the whole sonata is usually played too slowly. It loses its tightness, cohesion and direction.

And lest people forget, I recorded all of Schubert's slow movements. I have an outpouring of love for them, and it pains me to hear them played without shape and direction.

https://www.box.com/s/b1r74lg2e5m3cd3gmabb

dolce sfogato #1972313 10/12/12 01:22 PM
I'm not as familiar with the piece as I should, but I feel compelled to mention a very distinctive performance of it that I witnessed on my birthday this year. It was at my house, after a mini-recital I gave for the attendees, and an adult friend played the third and fourth movements as part of a gift to me. It was an odd sort of gift, considering that this usually brilliant pianist had had a fair amount to drink over the course of the evening... but the interruptions of the "happy stroll" did have a very arresting quality. No pun intended grin

dolce sfogato #1972386 10/12/12 04:56 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
because the whole sonata has a 'tired, valedictory, used-up' character...
it never really struck me that way.

dolce sfogato #1972553 10/13/12 12:35 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
it's Schubert's last word in instrumental music, it's out of this world, it's a forced happy-ending, it's a formula, it's a forced point to the last sentence.

And quite the very fashionable interpretation, au courant indeed wherein every note of Schubert is scrutinized for some secret and mystical reference to ruined love, death, or any other textbook category of emotional unfulfillment, self-hatred, and ultimately self-absorption.

I have loved the Bb sonata since a teenager, and it has always given me a joyous pleasure in its affirmation of life. I will not be depressed by this music.

Some composers -Schubert, Mahler, Shostakovich- seem to be ideal vessels for the psychoanalytic crowd, and the academics go on and on, not shedding much light but making money on a lot of questionable conclusions.

Wagner, of course, is the prime example, but I have long grown impatient with all the babble and simply choose to concentrate on how glorious this music is to me.

Jason
dolce sfogato #1973261 10/14/12 06:20 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I am inclined not to consider myself as a member of the psycoanalytic crowd, nor the academics, just the concertplayers, your assumption gives me the pimples, and my opinion, though hardly perceptible from the post, will not be 'fashionable', ever, what a presumptious and little-ivory-tower-far-in-the-outback-aftertaste it gives me, this comes from some one in the midst of concertplaying duties, not from some lone ranger with peculiar visions.

dolce sfogato #1973281 10/14/12 07:02 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
^ Well then you best be going back to your concert playing duties, fair enough.

But of course doesn't it come down to a simple 'you have no right to question what I think, what do YOU know?.

Well perhaps, so there is no dialogue...

...which would be too bad, since there might be other aspects to consider about that Schubert sonata, just saying...

Jason
dolce sfogato #1975877 10/19/12 06:38 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
there should be always room for dialogue, just not for solipsistic statements, I thought your's was quite hermetic, hence my protest, I didn't slam any doors in anyone's face, certainly not your's. I think Schubert's last 3 sonatas are not just there for musiclover's delight, they mean something more, in Schuberts' oeuvre/career/life and for us, poor pianists who have to recreate masterpieces of the past (and present). In D.960's case, because it has me under it's spell for more than 40 years and I'm in the process of performing it now regularly, it seemed to be a good idea to let loose some thoughts on the forum here and to many collegues/friends all over the place to discuss whatever might trigger your/their opinions about it, that's all, so far the results here are rather slight, let's see what might pop up, but I like the pace it goes in: molto moderato.

dolce sfogato #1975902 10/19/12 07:28 PM
I
I
I know what you mean about the ending. It's certainly not your average piece of triumph. Lots of doubt, dissatisfaction, overweight and near-sightedness. Even with all that I think it really must be played sincerely. St. Peter stuff. One thing to avoid is a measured here-we-go type of thing. It should be abrupt and blazing and breathless.

dolce sfogato #1976027 10/20/12 12:33 AM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
...it seemed to be a good idea to let loose some thoughts on the forum here and to many collegues/friends all over the place to discuss whatever might trigger your/their opinions about it, that's all, so far the results here are rather slight, let's see what might pop up, but I like the pace it goes in: molto moderato.

No intention to slight or insult you. (That would be silly of me.) I was just putting out a rather controversial opinion, fully realizing that. laugh

But here is a question for you: do you take the exposition repeat in the first movement? Tell us what you think!

Jason
argerichfan #1976042 10/20/12 01:25 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by argerichfan
...it seemed to be a good idea to let loose some thoughts on the forum here and to many collegues/friends all over the place to discuss whatever might trigger your/their opinions about it, that's all, so far the results here are rather slight, let's see what might pop up, but I like the pace it goes in: molto moderato.

No intention to slight or insult you. (That would be silly of me.) I was just putting out a rather controversial opinion, fully realizing that. laugh

But here is a question for you: do you take the exposition repeat in the first movement? Tell us what you think!

The exposition repeat is important, but it requires the performer not to play in a soporific manner. Molto moderato it is; Largo or Grave it is not.

jeffreyjones #1976280 10/20/12 01:44 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

The exposition repeat is important, but it requires the performer not to play in a soporific manner. Molto moderato it is; Largo or Grave it is not.

Yes, I agree.

Orange Soda King #1976420 10/20/12 07:20 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Yes, I agree.

I agree also, even if Brendel felt differently, and I would not want to argue the point with him.

Still, one must wonder what Richter was up to with his recording. He drags the movement out to Wagnerian proportions -a whole new spin on the heavenly lengths concept- but unlike Wagner, there seems little sense of dramatic timing, more a private meditation, but this is never the case with Wagner, as his slowest moments (cf Wotan's monologue in Walkure) will often push the action far faster than his more kinetic scenes.

Of course who am I to argue with Richter either, yet his D960 comes off as a sonata with two slow movements, hardly -I should think- what Schubert might have intended.

Jason
argerichfan #1976969 10/22/12 03:11 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Yes, I agree.

I agree also, even if Brendel felt differently, and I would not want to argue the point with him.

Still, one must wonder what Richter was up to with his recording. He drags the movement out to Wagnerian proportions -a whole new spin on the heavenly lengths concept- but unlike Wagner, there seems little sense of dramatic timing, more a private meditation, but this is never the case with Wagner, as his slowest moments (cf Wotan's monologue in Walkure) will often push the action far faster than his more kinetic scenes.

Of course who am I to argue with Richter either, yet his D960 comes off as a sonata with two slow movements, hardly -I should think- what Schubert might have intended.

You know what he said when he listened to his own D. 894 - "I feel nothing." That's how I feel about all of Richter's Schubert. It's beautiful pools of empty sound. I'd rather listen to the scratchiest, most technically horrible recordings of him playing Schumann or Prokofiev or even Beethoven.

dolce sfogato #1977197 10/22/12 05:08 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
about the repeat:
1) the easy reason: Schubert wrote it, so we have to play it.
2) the more elaborate and musical reason: the musical substance of the extra bars to reintroduce the exposition is, according to some highbrow pianists of the former generation, of a slight nature, slight enough to be skipped in order to keep the movement going on.. My (and of course not only my) opinion is that in those few bars the g-flat trill becomes so utterly dramatic and all important, that it quasi overtakes the psychology of the whole movement, and becomes all the more sinister whenever one hears it again, in the distance, so when one doesn't play the repeat and misses the all important Æ’Æ’ trill, one keeps happily at the surface of what eventually should become a 'dramatic' movement instead of a 'placid' one, quite a change of directions, and as I might add: a crucial one.
No repeat is no sonata, this applies to all of Schuberts music, even the 2nd trio, that so many ensembles find hard to do justice to by just respecting all the repeats..
Bruckner, the champion of 'long' music (and musical heir of Schubert) f.e. may sound in his substantial (and long) symphonies even longer when cut and he said it so simply and beautifully: 'meine Symfonien sind nicht zu lange, sie sind zu kurz!' He was right.

dolce sfogato #1977198 10/22/12 05:11 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
about the repeat:
1) the easy reason: Schubert wrote it, so we have to play it.
2) the more elaborate and musical reason: the musical substance of the extra bars to reintroduce the exposition is, according to some highbrow pianists of the former generation, of a slight nature, slight enough to be skipped in order to keep the movement going on.. My (and of course not only my) opinion is that in those few bars the g-flat trill becomes so utterly dramatic and all important, that it quasi overtakes the psychology of the whole movement, and becomes all the more sinister whenever one hears it again, in the distance, so when one doesn't play the repeat and misses the all important Æ’Æ’ trill, one keeps happily at the surface of what eventually should become a 'dramatic' movement instead of a 'placid' one, quite a change of directions, and as I might add: a crucial one.
No repeat is no sonata, this applies to all of Schuberts music, even the 2nd trio, that so many ensembles find hard to do justice to by just respecting all the repeats..
Bruckner, the champion of 'long' music (and musical heir of Schubert) f.e. may sound in his substantial (and long) symphonies even longer when cut and he said it so simply and beautifully: 'meine Symfonien sind nicht zu lange, sie sind zu kurz!' He was right.

What a pleasure, reading what is written here.

jeffreyjones #1977342 10/23/12 12:03 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

You know what he said when he listened to his own D. 894 - "I feel nothing." That's how I feel about all of Richter's Schubert. It's beautiful pools of empty sound.

That comment gives me hives.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
dolce sfogato #1977359 10/23/12 12:31 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Richter does amazing things, but I still don't care for the tempo of D 960 first movement...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission