2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Damon

Hadn't heard this recording before. This is a work -one that used to be a favourite of mine- i'd learnt to find quite tedious and theatrical. After hearing Lewenthal I think I can blame the performances. That was amazing. Thanks for sharing!

I've found that with Liszt quite often. It's so easy for a performance to give Liszt a bad name. Liszt wrote much of his music with his performance capabilities in mind - it's almost as if every time you play Liszt you're measuring yourself up against his vision, which was perhaps exemplified by the way he played his music. A great performance like this one brings you close to Liszt's intentions, and you realise the sublime vision that he attempted to convey. I've found that very few performances do this in each of Liszt's finest works, but when you find one that does, everything comes together and any doubts about the music itself get eradicated.

P.S. Post #300!

Last edited by pianojosh23; 10/18/12 11:07 PM.
M
M
Hi Josh,

yes, I'm really attracted to extreme romanticism. Early on I was a Mahler fan, and his scores really reveal an untempered Romantic at work. On my youtube channel marknicol7 I have a work, Ulysses, the first movement of Symphony in Indigo, which I best describe as Super-Romanticism. It draws from the ethos of Mahler and Wagner.

I get what you mean about freedom, and freedom is the most dangerous thing. Mahler was obliquely critical of Brahms for 'not doing enough' with his themes: More likely, he didn't like Brahms' conservative nature.

Having dinner with a concert pianist, Gil Sullivan, tomorrow night - so I will bring up Liszt, which he plays quite a bit. Would be good to get Alexandre Dossin's views too. Any chance of hearing your playing?

I posted the current sketch for the Chopinesque piece on the site below:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=48442.0

Last edited by Mark Nicol; 10/18/12 11:40 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
[Linked Image]
Busoni said of this passage: anyone who is not moved by this has not yet come to Liszt! (approximately)

Now you people should hear a good recording of the opera, perhaps the Callas recording on EMI. Interestingly, the most famous moment in the opera, Casta diva, is not included in Liszt's paraphrase, but as Lewenthal points out, it occurs at a static moment of the opera so was of no use to Liszt.

(Sorry for tangling with another member yesterday. I have removed those posts.)

Jason
I
I
Hi Jason - I thought Busoni said that about the part where Liszt is imitating the timpani, you know - da da da DEE / da-da-da-da DA

Any case, thanks for this thread, dear thread-starter!

T
T
So I fought it for a long, but I've finally caught the lizst bug. I've been listening to him non stop this week. The Bm Sonata and the 2nd Ballade are simply mind blowing.
Have any of you listened to Valentina Lisita's recording of the ballade? She uses a 97 key bosendorfe piano that is incredible. And she uses those extra low notes at a certain point. It just sounds so so good.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ian_G
Hi Jason - I thought Busoni said that about the part where Liszt is imitating the timpani, you know - da da da DEE / da-da-da-da DA

You sure about that Ian? The 'timpani' imitation -and the Thalbergian three handed effects- has been commented on before, but I did not think that it was what Busoni went so crazy over.

But you do need to hear Bellini's original. His opera begins the same way as Liszt's paraphrase (after the opening flourishes) -such rich orchestration- and I was captivated.

Bellini, who passed on at 33, was an operatic genius who should be better known to piano aficionados. Chopin owed a lot to his example, and I well recall a performance of I Puritani several years ago. There was not one dull moment, his melodic inspiration could barely be contained, and I left the opera house in tears, took me a week to get over it.

Jason
I
I
Dug up the Busoni quote:

"...anyone who has listened to or played the finale of Lucrezia, the middle section in B major in Norma or the slow movement in Sonnambula without being moved has not arrived at Liszt."

Both parts in question in are B major, but mine's a proper middle section so I'll be giving myself the laurel on this one, if there's no contention.

Bellini -- I'm familiar with the literature and've heard bits and bobs (fine Queen's English there) and it's very lovely -- never had to pleasure to experience one of his operas whole, though.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

"...anyone who has listened to or played the finale of Lucrezia, the middle section in B major in Norma or the slow movement in Sonnambula without being moved has not arrived at Liszt."

Both parts in question in are B major, but mine's a proper middle section so I'll be giving myself the laurel on this one, if there's no contention.

Very nice going, Ian, and thanks for digging up the Busoni quote. (Probably in library somewhere, though sometimes searching these things out can be quite time consuming!)

I suppose no disagreement after all, but isn't the Liszt musical quote I posted above much more boldly dramatic in its technical address? One is moved not only by that, but its very appearance on the printed page.

This brings to mind Elgar's magnificent 'Introduction and Allegro' for strings. At the climax at rehearsal 12, Elgar marks it nobilmente, but how would a casual listener, not to mention a sophisticated one, really understand what is happening, much less hear anything different? It is only when one follows the score that the experience takes on a whole new dimension. It is nobilmente, now we perceive it differently, and exactly what the composer intended.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
And one thing else to point out about Liszt's Norma: the right hand scales at the 'Meno Allegro' (so ingenious) may very well have inspired Busoni, because at the climax of his transcription of the 'Ad nos', there they are. It is the same concept.

Jason
I
I
Seeing your Elgar and raising a Mahler (because who doesn't like a good dust-up), he was still more illustrative in his directions, z.B. in the scherzo to the 5th symphony, specifically asking for an implied rather than actual crescendo.

I agree the page you quoted is wonderfully dramatic for eye and ear. I think Schumann said about Thalberg in connection to the 3-hand effect that it sounded like the piano was giving birth to another piano.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Seeing your Elgar and raising a Mahler (because who doesn't like a good dust-up), he was still more illustrative in his directions, z.B. in the scherzo to the 5th symphony, specifically asking for an implied rather than actual crescendo.

Hola, Ian, it might even be suggested that following the score of a Mahler symphony gives one more insight into the music than listening to it in a concert venue. The Elgar symphonies are similar in this regard.

Pity those who cannot read an orchestral score. wink

Jason
M
M
Hi Ian, Jason & Josh,

the really interesting Mahler scores to look at, for me, are the late period master-works: Das Lied von der Erde, the 1st. movement of the 9th., and the 1st. Movement of the 10th. For me, Das Lied is his only 'perfect work', there is no waste or excess on the canvas - the orchestration and finesse is actually exquisite (and it is certainly a great aesthetic relief from the 8th., which is rather overblown in every way). The 1st. movement of the 9th. is a rapturous work of 'lyrical polyphony', and, as well, a Teutonic drama. The 1st. Movement of the 10th. contains some of the most acrid harmonies in linear counterpoint ever written, whilst being totally lyrical and a perfect expose of Mahler's tortured feelings at the time. The opening Viola theme seems to be not just a script revealing Mahler's personal sense of utter desolation, dissolution, but is perhaps also a nod to the contemporaneous sway of atonality?

I always find that Elgar achieves something in music that is quite marvellous, in a quiet , quiet way - sublime subtlety. Also discovered a fantastic orchestral work by Frank Bridge the other day - there was a great school established in that little country, for a while.

Anyway, returning to Liszt - how about some discussion as to the more revolutionary harmonic and polyphonic constructions of his late works, and of his orchestral Tone Poems. I haven't done a lot of listening in either area, and would appreciate some seasoned thinking.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Nicol; 10/21/12 03:42 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
An awful lot to comment on here, thank-you for your kind post, but a dinner engagement is nigh.
Originally Posted by Mark Nicol
The 1st. Movement of the 10th. contains some of the most acrid harmonies in linear counterpoint ever written, whilst being totally lyrical and a perfect expose of Mahler's tortured feelings at the time.

That climax in Ab minor has always frightened me, there is nothing in music quite like that, and I admit I don't have the stomach for it.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRANZ LISZT!

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan

grin You beat me to it!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I SEE THAT YOU ARE ALSO CELEBRATING INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRANZ LISZT, AND HAPPY INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Thank you for so much great music and an amazing legacy, Franz!!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I WILL PERFORM HIS 2ND BALLADE AND B MINOR SONATA THIS YEAR TO CELEBRATE!

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

M
M
I've listened to it hundreds of times. Yes, there is so much dissonance, so much pain in that music that very few would actually be 'attracted to it'. I am one of the few, (but I suppose I've also written a piece 'over-burdened with dissonance and pain' - Ulysses, which you can hear on my youtube site marknicol7 )

What about the late Liszt works, and the orchestral Tone Poems? How about any ideas on great recordings, for a start.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I love some of the comments Yevgeny Sudbin makes in the notes of his new CD, Yevgeny Sudbin plays Liszt, Ravel & Saint-Saëns (BIS).

Discussing the 3 Sonetti del Petrarca:

"Il Canzoniere (Song Book)...is probably Petrarch’s most notable work. In it, and over a time span of around 40 years, he finds ample opportunity for self-torture over his burning, unrequited passion for Laura, a woman he is said to have met only once, briefly. Yet as we read, we realize that Petrarch’s internal struggle may not have been about Laura at all, but rather the eternal conflict between flesh and soul – an unwinnable battle only too familiar to the womanizer Liszt (although for him lack of reciprocation was not an issue, with divorces being filed en masse whenever he appeared in town)."

(Reminds me of another famous poet's unrequited love; Catullus's hopeless love for Lesbia.)

And, on the addictive nature of playing Liszt:

"In my youth, I shied away from Liszt as I was afraid that I hadn’t yet achieved the necessary humility and would join the long queue of young pianists contributing to a less than favourable image of the ‘piano-smashing’ Liszt. I was always
fascinated by the introverted and delicate Liszt, however. It’s not that I mind showmanship, as long as it doesn’t detract from the original musical thought. (Yet it is more difficult to forgive when showmanship is not backed up by an adequate technique!) Nevertheless I try to stay away from Liszt’s Greatest Virtuosic Hits because they leave me longing for more – as with Pringles, ‘once you pop, you can’t stop’".

On the CD:

Funérailles

TEs 10 & 11

3 Sonetti del Petrarca

Ravel Gaspard de la nuit

Saint-Saëns Danse macabre (Liszt-Horowitz-Sudbin version)

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission