Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1976863 - 10/21/12 08:12 PM Shipping a Yamaha P200
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha P200 in great shape, and I wanted to send it to my daughter in Houston - I don't use it much anymore and I know she'd use it regularly and enjoy it tremendously.

I no longer have the original box. I do have a heavily-padded soft case with casters and had originally thought I'd just take it as oversize baggage when I fly down to see her, but I looked into it and found that it's too large - it's over-oversize and the airline will not accept it.

Next option would be UPS or Fedex. Going by size and weight, it would cost about $90, which I'm fine with. But I'm concerned that the soft case might be a bad idea.

The keyboard is larger than most, and weighs about 66lbs, so it won't be easy to find a box that will fit. I guess I could construct a box around the case with heavy cardboard and lots of packing tape, but I'm not sure that helps much and it sure would make the thing harder to handle. Then I thought maybe I could rent a case somewhere for a few weeks, but haven't been able to find anyone that does that.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Larry

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1976874 - 10/21/12 08:44 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
mitzysman Offline

if it was me I would put something over the speaker grills. to keep them from getting punched in. and then probably construct a case like you said out of cardboard. And then I would probably put extra on the edges and duck tape it on there. And then mark it which side up.

just my opinion though

#1976875 - 10/21/12 08:44 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
If you could get cardboard over the soft case, that would be good. I've bought multiple keyboards that were shipped in cardboard and *most* were fine. Most of the damage was the result of the shipper not packing the ends well. So pack those ends well! You're right that a soft case alone will do little to protect the keyboard during shipping -- UPS/FedEx may not even accept it because things like straps and zippers don't play well with their conveyor systems. They will also throw things on top of the keyboard and otherwise abuse it.

The best luck I had with cardboard-box-only shipping was with the entire keyboard wrapped multiple times in large bubble wrap, put in a box and surrounded by peanuts. Since you have a soft case, you can probably skip the bubble wrap, or use very little. I'd still do the peanuts, though. You don't want any dead space in the soft case or outer box. Put a good layer of extra padding over the keys.

Worst luck I had was with a K2000, a lightweight keyboard that should be easy to ship, but somehow nearly got destroyed. The seller had shipped in a box surrounded by chunks/blocks of styrofoam on the inside. I think it has to do mostly with who handles it, because I've seen bigger and heavier keyboards survive just fine with worst packing. I should note that the K2000 is old and the plastic is "fibrous" in that it snaps rather than having any give to it.

When I bought my Kurzweil K2600X used, the seller had custom-built a plywood box and lined the inside with multiple layers of styrofoam. Then he screwed it shut and put handles on one side and one end. The keyboard did remarkably well and was probably the best way to ship it outside of an ATA case. Better yet - UPS accepted it (though it cost about $150 total).

Edited by LesCharles73 (10/21/12 09:02 PM)

#1976894 - 10/21/12 09:28 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: LesCharles73]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello, around 14 years ago I moved from South Jersey to Jacksonville- company was paying my relo though.

I took my Fatar Studio 900 to a UPS packing store and they shipped it and packed it PERFECTLY.
Got it the day after I got down to Jacksonville.

However it cost $250 to ship but that came out of my relocation expenses.

From what I remember they built a custom box for it.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1976902 - 10/21/12 09:39 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I would construct it bubble wrapped in box within a peanut filled box, attention to the ends as mentioned-in both boxes.

#1977081 - 10/22/12 12:26 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Larry, I see you're from Boston. Have you thought of going to a local Boston store that sells Yamaha keyboards and simply asking them (or offering to buy) a cardboard case that would work?

I'm sure the P200 must share dimensions with another Yamaha keyboard.

... or maybe the local Yamaha store can order a new shipping case for you for a fee. Just a thought.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1977266 - 10/22/12 08:17 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
These are some great ideas - thanks! I will try a local Yamaha dealer and see if they have any or can get any boxes. I should also try the UPS Packaging store as the second option....outsource the problem to the pros.

I also liked the idae of constructing a wooden crate to fit the soft case, with room for some peanuts or bubble wrap between. Seems easy enough and will definitely provide a rigid case. That'll be option #3.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you!

#1977314 - 10/22/12 10:57 PM Re: Shipping a Yamaha P200 [Re: Larry B]
Prof Pizzacotta Offline

Yes -- that's what I did -- went to a local music store and got a box. In my case, a guitar box worked for a 61 key synth but in your case, it will probably take an 88 key keyboard box. I would find some styrofoam and cut it out to fit the keyboard in, and wrap the rest with bubble wrap. Keep in mind that shipping may damage they keyboard anyway as that P200 is heavy as heck (I know -- have one).

Strongly recommend ground shipping. It will be better cared for, and I'd go FedEx.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (Aucha, Atrys, 3rd Ear, 26 invisible), 1136 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250682 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission