Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1977261 - 10/22/12 08:05 PM Korg SP 250
krisSA Offline

I wanted to buy a Roland FP-7F for my daughter (a decent piano player) for practicing in her dorm and took her to local guitar center to look at the Roland digital pianos. She liked the Roland's sound and action but wants to go with Korg SP 250 as she felt neither of them could replace the actual piano experience and Korg was great for the price. My feeling is that she probably wants to save some dollars for me and also has a guilt that being a medical student she may not have enough time to justify the Roland. I have read decent reports about the Korg at this form but I am not a piano player and I'll appreciate if you all could give your opinions if it advisable to purchase this piano. She is only interested in playing piano and doesn't care about any other sounds.

Thanks,
Krishna

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1977265 - 10/22/12 08:16 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
It sounds like your daughter is being very unselfish in opting for the much less expensive Korg.

The FP-7F is a considerably more expressive instrument than the SP-250. However, the keyboard, sound and speakers in the Korg are not bad, despite it being a much older design. However, be aware that the Korg does not have inputs for soft or sostenuto pedals. There is a potential workaround for that using MIDI control, but that will be clunky and add to the cost.

I would suggest trying to find one of the new Casio Privia pianos to compare with the Korg. These are the PX-150 and PX-350. They are also inexpensive, and may be preferable, depending on your daughter's requirements with regard to action and sound.

Edited by voxpops (10/22/12 08:18 PM)

#1977267 - 10/22/12 08:22 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
origen Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
When I was looking for a sub 1k dp last year, it was my personal opinion that at that price point nothing touched the sp250 at 599, which you can get it for, the bigger retailers all price match and at a minimum will take 15percent off, as they regularly offer this on their websites and stores will match those prices. The next closest thing I think you'll find is the newest casio offerings, I haven't played them so I don't know much about them. Once you get to the 1k price range though, you'll quickly see your options multiply and the sp250 won't stack up to anything in that range. The Korg krome 88 is 1599, 1375 after discount, and at this point probably roasts everything in that price range as well, once you get to the 2k prices korg quickly falls prey to the rolands and kawais though as their top end actions are simply the best imo.

#1977293 - 10/22/12 09:41 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
KrisSA,

Certainly it must be a pleasure to do this with someone as selfless as your daughter! Perhaps argue with her a bit that 'better' option right now could actually out-life her medical studies and could constitute later a semi-decent piano replacement?

One thing is to hear the pianos in the loud and large place they are sold, but once you get home, the smaller rooms allow for much better sound quality and you can actually get lost in the instrument as it were a decent piano. My own is actually better and more enjoyable to work with than my not-very-good vertical. So, unless you have access to a decent grand or vertical in your house, one of the higher end option like the FP-7F, the Kawai ES7 or others like that can actually do, with a little imagination, actually be piano replacements.

Perhaps trying them with good headphones on the Guitar Center could reveal more marked differences?

You could perhaps find a middle ground and go for an FP-4F in order for her to still know she didn't go for the most expensive option, but that it is still a very good keyboard?

Your story is very moving! Welcome to the forums!

Rafa.

#1977568 - 10/23/12 12:36 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: RafaPolit]
krisSA Offline

Thanks every body for replying. I'll tell her once again to get Roland and if she continues to insist to go with Korg then it will be be her decision.

#1977579 - 10/23/12 01:06 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: krisSA
She liked the Roland's sound and action but wants to go with Korg SP 250 as she felt neither of them could replace the actual piano experience and Korg was great for the price. ,
Krishna

Actually, she's right, and since she's a piano player I think her judgement is probably spot on assuming she will continue to have access to an acoustic either during her studes or in the future.

#1977630 - 10/23/12 03:55 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
krisSA Offline

She has an upright Baldwin piano at home which we bought her when she was in the middle school. Unfortunately it is difficult to take it to her dorm as the room is small and for next many years she will be on the move during her medical carrier. That is why I wanted her to get a digital piano that could take place of her real piano. Also she can use headphones to avoid disturbing other students.

#1977631 - 10/23/12 04:00 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: krisSA
She has an upright Baldwin piano at home which we bought her when she was in the middle school. Unfortunately it is difficult to take it to her dorm as the room is small and for next many years she will be on the move during her medical carrier. That is why I wanted her to get a digital piano that could take place of her real piano. Also she can use headphones to avoid disturbing other students.

Right, but neither of the proposed DP's can "take the place of her real piano." Both are a substitute and some will argue the Roland is a better substitute than the Korg, but others (pianists) may argue a substitute remains just that whatever. I'm trying to argue that your daughter may have a valid point that is not related to cost. Or not and she is indeed being considerate.

#1977640 - 10/23/12 04:12 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If she says she'll be happy with the Korg, I'd say get the Korg. It's a perfectly nice piano. There's no reason to make her feel any anxiety or guilt every time she sits down at something that is more than she feels is justifiable, that's no favor to her, and this is supposed to bring her pleasure. You could just let her know that, if after 6 months or a year, she finds that she really would have preferred something better, you'd be glad to trade her up. That wouldn't be difficult... the SP250 isn't all that expensive to begin with, and you'll probably be able to get back more than half what you paid with no problem at all. But there's a good chance it won't happen anyway. Also, it may be worth considering that, just as kids can feel awkward at having stuff that doesn't measure up to that of their peers, they can also feel awkward at having things that are "too nice." The bottom line is, I would simply respect her wishes, regardless of whatever her reasons are.

#1977651 - 10/23/12 04:50 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: krisSA]
Yuri Pavlov Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
krisSA
I recommend trying the Korg SV1. Of course, it is more expensive than the SP250, but it gives the most accurate sounding piano.
However, on the Korg is not possible to record and no auto accompaniment - it's all there in Roland. Roland keyboard but I absolutely do not like when playing pianissimo - it makes absolutely false sensations. A better way to try yourself
English (with some problems)

#1977705 - 10/23/12 07:46 PM Re: Korg SP 250 [Re: anotherscott]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: anotherscott
...considering that, just as kids can feel awkward at having stuff that doesn't measure up to that of their peers, they can also feel awkward at having things that are "too nice." The bottom line is, I would simply respect her wishes, regardless of whatever her reasons are.

She may be worried that it is too nice for a dorm room.
She may also not want to be bringing anything real nice with her to a dorm room.
SP250 ain't bad.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ADWyatt, accordeur, 48 invisible), 1659 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission