Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974954 - 10/18/12 12:43 AM Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel?
JoanC Offline

Loc: WA, USA
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and looking for advice.

We're on the market for a grand piano for my 10yr old daughter. She's been taking piano lessons for over 5 years now, and our little, old Baldwin just doesn't suffice any more:)

My daughter has tried about half dozen pianos so far. She likes the first two below:

1. a 1980 Kawai KG-2D(6'1") for $8500 from a dealer. It has some cosmetic issues(including a crack in the soundboard). However, she really likes the touch and the sound;

2. a 2002 Yamaha C3 for $18,000 from a private owner. It has the beautiful "Tiger" Mahogany finish and in excellent condition. It also plays wells, however is a bit more than I wanted to spend;

3. then yesterday I just saw a 1992 Schimmel listed on CraigsList for $11,000. I was told that the model is Schimmel Classical SP 5’10” T. We haven't checked it out yet. Since it's a little far from where we live, I'm thinking to go and let my daughter try it this Saturday.

What do you think these 3 piano and their prices? Which one would be my best bet? I was hoping to spend around $10K. However, I love the mahogany finish on the Yamaha C3 and its being relatively newer(2002). Is $18K a fair price? Or, is the Schimmel one a better deal?

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions and expertise.

Thank you in advance!

Joan

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1974996 - 10/18/12 03:19 AM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
JPB RX2 Offline

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Hi There!

Kawais are excellent pianos, but I would suggest avoiding one with a cracked soundboard. This might create problems later on (the Techs around will advise more knowingly than me!).

The Yamaha is a very solid piano and will serve your daugther very well. If the Schimmel is in good condition that is an excellent piano too. I definatley would let your daughter test this. They have a different kind of sound world to the Yamaha, and she may prefer it.

I hope the hunt goes well!

J.

#1974999 - 10/18/12 03:30 AM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
Jose Hidalgo Offline

I think the best thing will be to check these options with an expert.

Nobody here can make a good evaluation of a piano we don't see/hear/play/etc...

Think about the following: if option #1 is good but eventually you will have to repair it, why don't you look for the luthier that will eventually repair it and have him go and check it before you buy it ?, if I were you I would rather pay him for an afternoon and visit those 3 options and have his expert opinion

Good luck

#1975281 - 10/18/12 04:12 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
The KG-2D is not 6'1"... probably more like 5'8" or 5'10".

I think among these the Schimmel is most appealing assuming it's in great condition.

#1975718 - 10/19/12 01:13 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
I agree with the suggestion you got from Jose Hidalgo, although I might have your daughter try the Schimmel to see if she likes the sound and the action before having a piano tech check it. Getting an independent expert's opinion is your best bet on deciding which used piano is best for your daughter and will fit in your budget long term.

Best of Luck!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1975889 - 10/19/12 07:01 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
C3, just negotiate it lower. Selling pianos privately is difficult. You are in the drivers seat.

#1976302 - 10/20/12 02:09 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

That Kawai is useless. It's a large price for a cracked soundboard and a Kawai of that length and that year. Forget it!

I have a C3 from circa 1985 and it's a solid piano. Nothing bad about, but very little to cheer about. It's not so bad. I think $18K is a large price, even for a 2002. Yamaha C-series are pretty darn reliable, but make sure you get that thing regulated right, maybe switch out hammers, and work it to be what is best for you. It's probably a brick house of a piano.

The Schimmel "sounds" good. Take a look at it. I am not sure about pre-2000 Schimmels, but like the more modern Schimmels. If the piano has great action and wonderful sound, I'd go for it. make sure it is in good shape and not needing $3K dumped in for strings or action work or anything.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

#1976475 - 10/20/12 10:13 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: Rusty Fortysome]
JoanC Offline

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback with me!

Here's the update:

I just took my daughter to check out the Schimmel this afternoon. Well, the sound is definitely softer than the Yamaha's and Kawai's. My daughter also said the touch is kinda "shallow" that she couldn't push the keys further. I hope you guys understand what she meant. Is this something that can be tuned and regulated? It was last tuned 4 years ago, and rarely being played. Also, I learned that the piano has been moved 4 times, including once from Southern California to Pacific Northwest in 1996. It looks in excellent condition though. Overall, my daughter thinks it's OK, but likes the Yamaha and the Kawai better. I really hoped this one would work for us, because I like the price tag and the Schimmel brand name:) But, I'm not the one who's going to play it!

So, I contacted the Yamaha owner and told him we'd like to take a look at his C3 again. We made an appt. for later tonight. What do you think is a fair price for a 2002 Yamaha C3?

Also, should I rule out the Schimmel at this point now?

Thanks again!

#1976814 - 10/21/12 05:39 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
She doesn't like the Schimmel.

Get an experienced piano tech to inspect your serious candidates for condition, and to advise you of the price range in your local market. Typically about $100; it can save you a lot of tears. Try http://ptg.org if you can't find a tech someone you trust knows and recommends.

When buying used, I would suggest getting something newer than 15 years old. Pianos wear out; get something with some life left in it.

On the whole, based on your descriptions I would suggest you keep on looking a bit longer. You do have the advantage of knowing what your daughter likes, and does not like--- that is a big help. What a great thing, that she's stuck with it long enough to graduate to a better instrument.

#1976869 - 10/21/12 08:24 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
I would encourage you to not get attached to the brand / model when looking at used pianos. Just keep looking until you come across the piano your daughter is excited about.

#1977329 - 10/22/12 11:33 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: rlinkt]
JoanC Offline

Here's another update on our piano search over the weekend:

Since my daughter was not thrilled about the Schimmel that I wished she would like(sigh!), we re-visited the Yamaha C3. She said she still likes it. It sounded a little bright to me, but she said she likes bright, sharp and clear tone. So I guess this should be a candidate for us. I'm planning to have a technician to check it out.

If the tech checks out OK, we'll probably make an offer. Right now, he's asking for $18K, which is over my budget. At what price should I offer? Does anyone know how much a C3 cost in 2002? The piano seems in great condition, and has been tuned yearly according to the seller.

Thanks again!

#1977330 - 10/22/12 11:39 PM Re: Need advice: Kawai or Yamaha or Schimmel? [Re: JoanC]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A plain black one probably cost about that much in 2002, so add a few thousand more for the special finish. Keep in mind that prices of new C grands have gone up as well. Just offer what you want to spend on this purchase (er, $12k? $13k?) and see what they say.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (36251, Abby Pianoman, AB Forum Recital, alans, 40 invisible), 1478 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156321 Topics
2295811 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
41 minutes 40 seconds ago
Hoping for some suggestions/starting point for home keyboard
by Kubla
58 minutes 57 seconds ago
Brass
by Retsacnal
Today at 09:28 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Today at 07:31 PM
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
Today at 06:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission