2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JFP Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
There's been an discussion going on in the "new Casio" thread with a request for smaller keys - for smaller hands. I thought I'd hijack the subject and create a thread for this item specifically. So who's in favor could just +1 here and then we can see how long the list grows. Might be interesting for manufacturers too ; a free poll / market research on a product feature.

Or add your own thoughts on this matter.

At the same time it keeps the load of the other product specific threads like "Casio new products".

Edit: for the record - my hands are big enough for the current key size, so personally I'm fine. I pulled this to a separate thread because it was embedded in a thread about new Casio DP's and seemed to me a topic in itself.

Last edited by JFP; 10/23/12 09:26 AM.
V
V
The only place I'd expect to come across smaller keyboards would be in traditional instruments - harpsichords, virginals etc.

If you wanted this to take off would you expect concert halls everywhere to have a set of slightly different keybeds they could slot into their pianos according to the requirements of the visiting pianist. Or would everyone carry about their own personal keybed which they could simply slot in as a module to any piano anywhere?

Perhaps there should be the left-handed option too which starts low at the right and high on the left. (Although that would require more assembly)

Far the vast vast majority of us it is our own skill (and effort) levels that limit our achievements rather than phyiscal limitations due to hand size - and for those rare instances there is always the solution presented here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

G
G
www.steinbuhler.com

Worth a read. No real digital option, as far as I know.

S
S
also I have never seen myself, reduced keyboards do exist
I have always wondered why they are not more common

here is a modified keyboard on a steinway grand :

I do have small hands myself (can't play 10th), I agree Vectistim I should blame my technique rather than the keyboard,
If I feel bad about it I just watch some 10y old prodigy on youtube and the issue gets all relative smile
at the same time I wouldn't mind having such a keyboard so my playing is more relaxed.

The woman in the video above struggles so much reaching octaves (around 4:30) that I can imagine so many pieces are just out of reach to her.

Last edited by stephane__; 10/23/12 08:37 AM.
G
G
Originally Posted by stephane__

I do have small hands myself (can't play 10th), I agree Vectistim I should blame my technique rather than the keyboard,
If I feel bad about it I just watch some 10y old prodigy on youtube and the issue gets all relative smile

I think technique has very little to do with stretches. If by technique you mean "cheating" then yes, but this isn't possible in every piece. See this at around 5:05 where Barenboim uses his left hand to help with the stretch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOb5NxtG-w

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
There is so much music out there that does not have big stretches I don't see that it would really be necessary to have thinner keys. If a particular piece has a difficult stretch, either use a "cheat" (perfectly acceptable) or simply choose another piece that's more playable!

Lee
G
G
Originally Posted by leemax
There is so much music out there that does not have big stretches I don't see that it would really be necessary to have thinner keys. If a particular piece has a difficult stretch, either use a "cheat" (perfectly acceptable) or simply choose another piece that's more playable!

To that I could only answer with a snippet from the Steinbuhler site:

Christopher Donison has written[2]: “There are two great secrets in the world of piano playing. The first is how much easier the instrument is to play with larger hands and the second is how impossible it can be with smaller hands. If one can divide the world into roughly two constituencies; a smaller half and a larger half, one can see that the larger half never really knows what the difficulties of their small-handed counterparts are, and the smaller half never really finds out how much easier all the difficulties are with larger hands. This is because small-handed people never wake up the next morning with larger hands, no matter haw hard they may pray for that to happen, and the larger handed people have never experienced the difficulties of the smaller-handed people. Their hands were already big enough long before they were attempting repertoire that was challenging enough to betray the secret.”
Today, for the first time in the history of the piano, there is a growing list of universities who own and are studying alternative size keyboards. Also, for the first time in the history of the piano, there is a growing list of pianists who own and use a 7/8 keyboard. Rhonda Boyle recently conducted a survey of many of these pianists. You can read the questionnaire she used and the results she obtained in her paper Hand Size and the Piano Keyboard[3]. Rhonda has also started a web site dedicated to presenting all the relevant data and arguments for smaller keyboards :Piano keyboard size - a level playing field?
Taken as a whole, this accumulating evidence demonstrates that pianists in general are locked in a one-size-fits-all world of profound discrimination. Students who study piano are mostly female and yet universities only provide pianos with large size keyboards. When we step back to reflect on this, is it not astounding to realize that universities around the world do not provide their students with instruments that fit their hands?! Today, slowly, they are becoming aware of the two great secrets Christopher discovered when he first got his 7/8 keyboard.

Should read the whole thing here.

http://www.steinbuhler.com/html/our_story.html
http://www.steinbuhler.com/html/our_research.html

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

Yeah that's a minus. Can reach (only) a ninth, and BTW I have a pinkie missing. Doesn't really stop me at all. But I'm no concert pianist! ...and (obviously) never will be. If I really want to play something where reach presents difficulties then a bit of music theory helps. Of course that means I'm not playing the original composition, but hardly anyone knows, and I call it 'interpretation' smile . So for example I play a mean Chopin Prelude Op28 #7 and do not arpeggiate 'that chord'.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
+1 for the zillions of kids, women, and smaller handed males out there who I imagine vastly outnumber large handed male players, and who are more prone to injury on wider keys (a nice paper on the subject).

+1 for a boost in portability (I ask you, who doesn't want that?).

So any minus votes here are from people who are objectively pro injury in small children, and think DPs are currently too portable! wink

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dewster
So any minus votes here are from people who are objectively pro injury in small children, and think DPs are currently too portable! wink

-1!

I'm all for injured kids - blood-sucking non-productive little monsters that they all are. I'm childless and subsidising the little swines everywhere. Over-population is destroying our planet and everyone's still desperate to breed. Great.

I saw the bits on the Casio thread and honestly thought the main guy whining about it was a total nut-job. The whole idea of smaller-keyed pianos is totally ridiculous. If you can't stretch (I can't do anything more than a 9th) then just play it a bit differently.

Anyway, it's time for my medication...

G
G
Not sure why anyone would be against it. It's not like people with large hands would be forced to use smaller keyboards. You could still use the standard size.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
-1 for me too.

I have really small hands, no octaves for this girl. If I had to switch from a small key bed to a large one I'd be in trouble. I'll use the standard size and learn how to work around my little hands. It will make moving from any piano or keyboard to another a lot easier.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
O
O
Originally Posted by Gigantoad
Not sure why anyone would be against it. It's not like people with large hands would be forced to use smaller keyboards. You could still use the standard size.

Indeed. I don't see why people are against the very idea of having a different option.

For myself it is quite uncomfortable stretching for an octave and I wonder if this would increase the chance of strain injuries down the road.

I am a +1 with observations here.

I agree there are cases where this would be useful. I also play the violin and everyone understands that a child starts with a 1/2 violin, moves to a 3/4ths and then to the 4/4 standard size violin. It could and would work on pianos as well!

But, I'm in complete disagreement with those saying stretching is not a technique! (And no, I don't mean cheating, I mean actual reach). As with every other part of our body, exercising will better our stretch. Can you do a leg split? All Olympic gymnasts can... are you saying its not a matter of practice and technique? It is... exactly as it is with our hands.

So, the reduced size should be used with caution as to actually help learn (specially the kids) or for grown up people with really small hands, but, on the other hand, it should not be used to prevent the correct exercise in order to lengthen our reach.

My final 'observation', which is the one that worries me most:
...It's not like people with large hands would be forced to use smaller keyboards...

It depends! If, for instance, its much cheaper for them to produce smaller sized keyboards, they will only give us that, and then I would miss the standard keyboard which is what I use! So, I really think it would need to be 'guaranteed' that the actual size will still be available for a considerable time.

So, I have a -1 / 0 / +1 approach here smile

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 10/23/12 04:42 PM.

Roland FP-7F
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I watched that video. The speaker would be well advise to pronounce the word pianist more precisely.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Once you go down the road of the narrow keybed as an adolescent or adult, you probably can't turn back. It will greatly limit where you can play. There's no way this is ever going to take off in a big way - conservatories are certainly not going to adopt this wholesale, nor the teachers working in them. If you enter a competition, do a gig, play at your local church, high-school, your old grandma's - these narrow keyboards are going to be nowhere to be found. Sure you can drag a portable keyboard around with you, but if you want to play a real piano in a normal venue, your options are going to be few and far between. Most venues have room and budget for one piano - and it's going to be the standard one.

The comparisons with smaller guitars are not valid because on a guitar, you are already used to the frets getting narrower as you proceed up the neck. Playing a small guitar is the same as playing from the 2nd fret of a normal guitar. Learning to play demanding pieces on a piano with a narrow keybed with stretches of an octave, 9th or 10th will effectively make these pieces unplayable once you are asked to play on a full sized piano. And since you won't have learned coping strategies to deal with the full sized piano, you won't be able to adjust. Everything from stretches to intervalic leaps will be totally thrown out.

So, I think if you are a serious pianist who wants to get out and about in the world and play for people in a variety of venues, this would be a very bad decision to make. If you just wanted to stay home and play for enjoyment, then I see no problem with it. It's a bit like if people with tiny feet had difficulty driving a car with standard pedals, so they had their pedals assembly modified. Sure, they can drive their own car better, but they would have a heck of a time driving anybody else's car after that.

I see more problems than benefits with adopting something that is very unlikely to ever see widespread adoption. Passionately promotional videos notwithstanding. As a teacher, I'd rather prepare my students for the real world of pianos and how to cope with their misfortune of having small hands. That way, their options are kept open. There might be an argument for young children up to a certain age for using a narrower keybed, but at some stage I'd switch them over to the standard width for the reasons given above.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I think a smaller piano keyboard is a mistake, except perhaps as a small, unweighted toy for very small children (not the ones old enough for piano lessons).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So, I think if you are a serious pianist who wants to get out and about in the world and play for people in a variety of venues, this would be a very bad decision to make.

I don't have strong personal reasons either way. If this were a possible financial investment, I'd pass.

I think it's worth mentioning that Horowitz used his own piano at concerts and the action was adjusted so lightly that just thinking about a note could make it play. At a concert you want the wind at your back while you're biking downhill.

Any advantage to make the job easier is worth considering.

I would think it wouldn't take much time at all to adjust. When I was in the UK last year I drove on the 'wrong' side of the road without incident ... for the most part. smile

If you want to play in concert halls on a standard size piano it would be a mistake to pracice on an instrument with smaller keys. If you are say a rock keyboardist, and you always take your own keyboards you could use a smaller keyboard instrument, but if you want to play traditional literature on a traditional piano you'll need to stick with a full size piano because that's what you're going to find out there.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
G
G
Originally Posted by ando
Once you go down the road of the narrow keybed as an adolescent or adult, you probably can't turn back. It will greatly limit where you can play. There's no way this is ever going to take off in a big way - conservatories are certainly not going to adopt this wholesale, nor the teachers working in them. If you enter a competition, do a gig, play at your local church, high-school, your old grandma's - these narrow keyboards are going to be nowhere to be found. Sure you can drag a portable keyboard around with you, but if you want to play a real piano in a normal venue, your options are going to be few and far between. Most venues have room and budget for one piano - and it's going to be the standard one.

The comparisons with smaller guitars are not valid because on a guitar, you are already used to the frets getting narrower as you proceed up the neck. Playing a small guitar is the same as playing from the 2nd fret of a normal guitar. Learning to play demanding pieces on a piano with a narrow keybed with stretches of an octave, 9th or 10th will effectively make these pieces unplayable once you are asked to play on a full sized piano. And since you won't have learned coping strategies to deal with the full sized piano, you won't be able to adjust. Everything from stretches to intervalic leaps will be totally thrown out.

So, I think if you are a serious pianist who wants to get out and about in the world and play for people in a variety of venues, this would be a very bad decision to make. If you just wanted to stay home and play for enjoyment, then I see no problem with it. It's a bit like if people with tiny feet had difficulty driving a car with standard pedals, so they had their pedals assembly modified. Sure, they can drive their own car better, but they would have a heck of a time driving anybody else's car after that.

I see more problems than benefits with adopting something that is very unlikely to ever see widespread adoption. Passionately promotional videos notwithstanding. As a teacher, I'd rather prepare my students for the real world of pianos and how to cope with their misfortune of having small hands. That way, their options are kept open. There might be an argument for young children up to a certain age for using a narrower keybed, but at some stage I'd switch them over to the standard width for the reasons given above.

Research has shown that pianists can adapt to the different sizes fairly quickly. As for practicing on smaller keyboards and performing on standard size, I think you guys aren't thinking out of the box enough. Yes, it sounds inprobable that pianists are going to bring their own keyboard to the venue. But I think it's important to understand that there is a theoretical possibility to do this. If enough people would adapt this kind of mind set, then their might just be a time when such a thing can happen. Innovation only happens when people open their minds and embrace it.

We all (mostly) wear right size clothes and shoes. What if there was only one size but everyone got used it, would you argue that creating individual sizes is never going to happen because it would be too much work for everyone involved?

It's also interesting to realise that keyboards didn't always have the size they have now. Some of the great romantic literature was probably created on smaller keyboards.

Note that Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann, would have composed many of their great works on keyboards that were smaller than our present day conventional size. This makes it doubly understandable why pianists today with small hands will struggle to perform them.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Research has shown that pianists can adapt to the different sizes fairly quickly.

Oh right, the exhaustive studies into piano keyboard size adjustements....

Even if I bought that, that wasn't the line of my argument. You can't use what you have never developed - most notably, stretch.
As for practicing on smaller keyboards and performing on standard size, I think you guys aren't thinking out of the box enough.

There's no box to think outside of. This isn't some masterstroke of lateral thinking. If you develop your technique around a smaller keyboard, you aren't going to develop the same stretch you would have on a standard size keyboard. Similarly you aren't going to develop the same coping mechanisms for the standard keyboard. You might be able to adjust to the scaling of the key widths, but only for things within your developed span. Anything outside that span will be impossible or injurious because you haven't developed it.

Yes, it sounds inprobable that pianists are going to bring their own keyboard to the venue. But I think it's important to understand that there is a theoretical possibility to do this. If enough people would adapt this kind of mind set, then their might just be a time when such a thing can happen. Innovation only happens when people open their minds and embrace it.

You know what, I'm going to lay it on the line - this will not catch on in a big way. I'm 100% confident that narrow keyboards will never be more than a niche industry.

We all (mostly) wear right size clothes and shoes. What if there was only one size but everyone got used it, would you argue that creating individual sizes is never going to happen because it would be too much work for everyone involved?

Pianos cost a lot of money, most venues and organisations aren't going to duplicate resources.

It's also interesting to realise that keyboards didn't always have the size they have now. Some of the great romantic literature was probably created on smaller keyboards.

Keyboards are now a mass-produced product. For whatever reason, the world settled on this size. Trends in modern manufacturing tend towards less diversity rather than more. That's why I don't think this will catch on. Small quantities mean high prices. There just isn't enough money in it for the big manufacturers.

Note that Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann, would have composed many of their great works on keyboards that were smaller than our present day conventional size. This makes it doubly understandable why pianists today with small hands will struggle to perform them.

Perhaps, and it's a pity for small handed people, but that time has passed.

G
G
Truth be told, I really doubt it will ever catch on as well. But that shouldn't keep us from keeping an open mind and dream of a better world where instruments are made to accomodate the players and not the other way around.

About the stretches: if I put my thumb and pinky on the edge of the table and then stretch as much as possible, I get pretty much a straight line. This is my physical limitation and no matter how much "technique" I develop, this won't change.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oscar Peterson could play walking 10ths in his left hand by dragging his thumb and alternating his 4th and 5th fingers. I'd love to have hands that big.

A
A
It's not only small hands that have problems. An octave is no problem at all and I can easily manage a stretch of nine keys and just about do ten. My problem has always been fitting my fingers in between the black keys when playing on white keys

G
G
Here's what Christopher Donison has to say about the smaller size keyboard he had built in the late 1970's (kinda the guy who inspired todays 7/8 keyboard). Perhaps it will be clearer to the average/large handed player how significant a smaller keyboard can be for the small-handed.

I have actually experienced "getting larger hands." Although that sounds impossible, this was achieved by creating a 7/8 - size keyboard for my Steinway concert grand. I thus began the great discovery of what it feels like to play the piano with larger hands. It was like an epiphany. All the touches and techniques in piano studies - and I stress - all of them - were made easier by a factor of a hundred.

I would never have known this, however, if I had not had the 7/8 - size keyboard made for me. Getting that keyboard made became an obsession after the idea came to me while practicing the coda of the G-minor Chopin Ballade for about the thousandth time. I was staring at the keyboard and looking at my hands, realizing they did not look right in comparison to the keyboard to accomplish the task. (I cannot stretch a sixth between the index finger and little finger in the right hand.) I realized that my hands would never be larger, but the keyboard could be smaller! After I got the keyboard made and fitted to the piano, I made a multitude of discoveries.

I could finally use the correct fingerings. Broken-chord formations could be played on one hand position, instead of two. The sensation of what it feels like to play with the proper fingering is easier to remember, more reliable in terms of accuracy, less painful, and ultimately better sounding. That is because the fingers that must bring out specific pitches in concerted sounds are aligned more directly over the keys. The whole hand-shape is less stretched out, and so power can be directed down into the keys.

Wide, sweeping, left-hand arpeggiated figures so prevalent in Romantic music become possible, and I could actually get on with the business of cultivating the right sound, rather than repeatedly practicing the same passage. The larger the sweep, the greater the difference. On a 7/8-size keyboard, a two-and-a-half octave sweep is two-and-a-half normal key-widths smaller. That is about two-and-a-half inches! When the smaller-handed player attempts a sweep like this, the hand must be very loose, and it is almost flung from top to bottom to cover the distance. Landing in the right place is the great achievement. With a larger hand, landing in the right place is so easy that the force with which you land there is now an option. With the smaller keyboard, those washes of sound could now be controlled and manipulated.

There was an increase of power. A small-handed person playing on a 7/8-size keyboard will sound like a larger person. The distance to travel is now proportionate to the size of the hand. Much of piano technique is about allowing the hand to be in its natural position as much of the time as possible. If the hand has to stretch itself like a pretzel for every task, the hand tires faster. Alternatively, when the hand, in its natural relaxed position, is already in the position it needs to be, the percentage of time that the muscles are engaged is reduced significantly, and the ability to rest the muscles is increased. Therefore, power and stamina are increased.

It was easier to make large leaps, and I could do so accurately, with greater speed.

It was easier to achieve proper balance. Getting the right amount of tone out of the lead melody-line in the right hand (or any internal line) was possible and enjoyable.

I was able to “walk” (legato finger) octaves with a 3,4,5 fingering. This created more bel canto playing, but it also made achieving speed and accuracy easier when I performed the famous octave pssages in the repertoire.
I realize now, looking back, that most of the time I spent practicing was used trying to overcome difficulties because of my hand-size. My great desire is for the small-handed pianists of the world to experience, as I have, the great joy of playing the piano when the struggle of overcoming the limitations imposed by hand-size are gone.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Here's what Christopher Donison has to say about the smaller size keyboard he had built in the late 1970's (kinda the guy who inspired todays 7/8 keyboard). Perhaps it will be clearer to the average/large handed player how significant a smaller keyboard can be for the small-handed.

I have actually experienced "getting larger hands." Although that sounds impossible, this was achieved by creating a 7/8 - size keyboard for my Steinway concert grand. I thus began the great discovery of what it feels like to play the piano with larger hands. It was like an epiphany. All the touches and techniques in piano studies - and I stress - all of them - were made easier by a factor of a hundred.

I would never have known this, however, if I had not had the 7/8 - size keyboard made for me. Getting that keyboard made became an obsession after the idea came to me while practicing the coda of the G-minor Chopin Ballade for about the thousandth time. I was staring at the keyboard and looking at my hands, realizing they did not look right in comparison to the keyboard to accomplish the task. (I cannot stretch a sixth between the index finger and little finger in the right hand.) I realized that my hands would never be larger, but the keyboard could be smaller! After I got the keyboard made and fitted to the piano, I made a multitude of discoveries.

I could finally use the correct fingerings. Broken-chord formations could be played on one hand position, instead of two. The sensation of what it feels like to play with the proper fingering is easier to remember, more reliable in terms of accuracy, less painful, and ultimately better sounding. That is because the fingers that must bring out specific pitches in concerted sounds are aligned more directly over the keys. The whole hand-shape is less stretched out, and so power can be directed down into the keys.

Wide, sweeping, left-hand arpeggiated figures so prevalent in Romantic music become possible, and I could actually get on with the business of cultivating the right sound, rather than repeatedly practicing the same passage. The larger the sweep, the greater the difference. On a 7/8-size keyboard, a two-and-a-half octave sweep is two-and-a-half normal key-widths smaller. That is about two-and-a-half inches! When the smaller-handed player attempts a sweep like this, the hand must be very loose, and it is almost flung from top to bottom to cover the distance. Landing in the right place is the great achievement. With a larger hand, landing in the right place is so easy that the force with which you land there is now an option. With the smaller keyboard, those washes of sound could now be controlled and manipulated.

There was an increase of power. A small-handed person playing on a 7/8-size keyboard will sound like a larger person. The distance to travel is now proportionate to the size of the hand. Much of piano technique is about allowing the hand to be in its natural position as much of the time as possible. If the hand has to stretch itself like a pretzel for every task, the hand tires faster. Alternatively, when the hand, in its natural relaxed position, is already in the position it needs to be, the percentage of time that the muscles are engaged is reduced significantly, and the ability to rest the muscles is increased. Therefore, power and stamina are increased.

It was easier to make large leaps, and I could do so accurately, with greater speed.

It was easier to achieve proper balance. Getting the right amount of tone out of the lead melody-line in the right hand (or any internal line) was possible and enjoyable.

I was able to “walk” (legato finger) octaves with a 3,4,5 fingering. This created more bel canto playing, but it also made achieving speed and accuracy easier when I performed the famous octave pssages in the repertoire.
I realize now, looking back, that most of the time I spent practicing was used trying to overcome difficulties because of my hand-size. My great desire is for the small-handed pianists of the world to experience, as I have, the great joy of playing the piano when the struggle of overcoming the limitations imposed by hand-size are gone.

I'm certainly not doubting how useful it would be for somebody with small hands. Just that most pianists will not have access to them, so they end up learning how to cope in the standard keyboard world.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
+1

Makes no sense to be proud of the success doing something the difficult way, if you could just do it the easy way.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One could perhaps market a DP with narrower keys via the "Trojan Horse" gambit. Make a "vintage" instrument, with harpsichord or something as the main voice when you turn it on, but also with a terrific piano sample a button press away. Use a lighter ungraded hammer action like the CP1/CP5. If implemented well and not overly expensive we'd get one for our studio in a snap.

Dewster, OT: did you ever finish that whole 'case' you were building for the 700NX? I followed up till the bare speakers got wiring. Is it finished?

Roland FP-7F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RafaPolit
Dewster, OT: did you ever finish that whole 'case' you were building for the 700NX? I followed up till the bare speakers got wiring. Is it finished?

Not exactly a case, more just powered external speakers, sub, and music rest. The finished photo can be seen in that thread.

D
D
+1. I can't even reach an octave without hurting. It hurts even playing something super simple like the #1 Bach prelude from the well tempered klavier. I would pay extra for a 7/8 size option. And let alone men with small hands like me, 90% of women and students just cannot enjoy playing piano with the standard sizes.

Also, keep in mind that this informal polling is biased against smaller sizes, because we all play piano here. But how many musicians have turned away from piano due to the fact that it's so painful or they can't reach octaves. I know a girl who wanted to learn piano but he turned to the Cello because playing piano was so painful for her. You won't find people like her in this forum. So if the results are 50% in favor, in reality it's more like 75%.

Manufacturers should be conducting a proper study among the general public and among musicians in general.

Even if you don't need you should be voting +1 because you should want more people to be able to enjoy Piano. Right now the subset of the population that can do so without pain is a minority, and that's very wrong.

Last edited by Dalek; 10/25/12 05:11 AM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dalek

Even if you don't need you should be voting +1 because you should want more people to be able to enjoy Piano. Right now the subset of the population that can do so without pain is a minority, and that's very wrong.

Why would we be "voting" yes? The viability of this relies on how many small-handed people you can get together to buy these things, not on larger-handed people who will never buy them. This isn't a petition type situation, it's demand and profitability for manufacturers. If you think it's as compelling as you think, you should try and do some real research and get a petition going and invite all small-handed, aspiring or practising pianists to get on board. You would then have to lobby a few manufacturers. I don't see any point in imploring those who are fine with the standard keyboard to add moral support. Maybe you like the idea, but it won't change the outcome.

G
G

Why would we be "voting" yes? The viability of this relies on how many small-handed people you can get together to buy these things, not on larger-handed people who will never buy them. This isn't a petition type situation, it's demand and profitability for manufacturers. If you think it's as compelling as you think, you should try and do some real research and get a petition going and invite all small-handed, aspiring or practising pianists to get on board. You would then have to lobby a few manufacturers. I don't see any point in imploring those who are fine with the standard keyboard to add moral support. Maybe you like the idea, but it won't change the outcome.

Do you always have to see some kind of profit for yourself in order to vote for something? I sure hope not, as that would be pretty sad.

You could say "I don't need it, but if it helps other pianists, why not". This goes for many things in life obviously.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I don't know if anyone really knows how many people don't play because of standard size keys. I know that I have been playing since I was about 3 or 4 years old and have never wished for a shorter reach piano. I have average-size hands, too. At this point, I think that if there were much less space between the sharps I would be getting my fingers stuck between them on certain passages. Even now there are times when the fit is a little tight. Again, my fingers are normal size, not abnormally thick. For whatever combination of reasons, piano marketers and builders and designers have never seen the need to alter key width, which in itself might mean that the demand, or perceived demand, is just not there. On a related note, pretty much all of the woodwind instruments have challenges when it comes to reach and hand positioning. In-line open-hole flutes are a challenge for me, and lots of people would have problems with the reach on tenor and bass recorders, and probably on the great bass and sub-bass recorders as well. I have never played those, so I don't know. Admittedly, there is not a huge market for bass recorders, but still . . .

Lee
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Do you always have to see some kind of profit for yourself in order to vote for something? I sure hope not, as that would be pretty sad.

You could say "I don't need it, but if it helps other pianists, why not". This goes for many things in life obviously.

This isn't an election or a referendum. It's just a thread on PW. If I say "+1" or "yes", it doesn't alter anything in the real world. I already said it would be nice if it happened for small-handed people, I just don't think it ever will. But it doesn't matter what I say because it has no impact on what happens. It doesn't actually matter what anybody in this thread says unless they are prepared to take up the cause in the real world.

Hey, if you really want my +1, sure, have it. Have another one: +1. You need to start a much more formal petition like petitionsonline.com if you want to even start to make an impact.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Also, keep in mind that this informal polling is biased against smaller sizes, because we all play piano here. But how many musicians have turned away from piano due to the fact that it's so painful or they can't reach octaves. I know a girl who wanted to learn piano but he turned to the Cello because playing piano was so painful for her. You won't find people like her in this forum. So if the results are 50% in favor, in reality it's more like 75%.

On the contrary, this "poll" is heavily biased in favor of small keys. Most people will skip this thread completely (or at least not answer) because they have zero interest in smaller than standard keys. Also, you didn't actually ask people if they wanted it or not, you just asked people who did want it to chime in. The percentage of people who want a piano with nonstandard, smaller keys is vanishingly small, which is why no manufacturer is willing to make them.

We could make a similar poll for zebra striped keys or keys you push upward rather than down or any number of random changes that most people don't want and then complain if the majority of people like the way pianos are now. Doesn't mean there's a market for them.

Piano key size is standard. If it was any bigger it would be hard to reach relevant intervals for more people than it is now. If it was smaller, it would be cramped for more people than it is now (and people would get fingers stuck in between the black keys). It doesn't work for everyone, but few things do.

Notice that it's perfectly legit for people to vote against smaller keys even though it wouldn't affect normal keyboards. For one thing, they don't want this thread to make it look (wrongly) that lots of people want it. More directly, any effort/time the manufacturers spend making a product that doesn't enhance DP's meaningfully is something they will not make toward moving their pianos forward in a way that does. Until digital pianos are so good that we can't really ask for higher quality, I feel no need to request weird feature for niche markets. At the moment even the very highest quality digital pianos leave much to be desired in many respects.

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/25/12 01:27 PM.
G
G
Oh I don't think it's quite as straight forward as "this is the most optimal keyboard size for the majority of players". Steinbuhler has this to say about it:

One reason conventional keyboards are so large was do to the fierce pressure in the 19th century for piano manufacturers to win competitions. They were driven to produce pianos that had ever bigger sound which meant they would build pianos with more strings and ever bigger hammers. Cristofori’s first keyboards were the same size as in today’s modern pianos, but the initial reaction to his keyboard was to build smaller ones. Then in the 19th century as manufacturers strove for market share, designs for the modern piano evolved and pushed the width of the keyboard back out again. However, today it is possible to have pianos with very big sound and also to fit them with keyboards that are ergonomically suited to every hand.

Let's also not forget that in those days when the piano became what it is today, women usually weren't welcome to play at all. Not suprising, then, that keyboards were made for men, and even then usually so that the average and large handed people could play comfortably.

Also, all of this happened in Europe and USA. Today we have piano players all around the world. Asians have a huge interest in the piano and they on average have smaller hands than Americans or Europeans.

Adjusting the keyboard size to the player really isn't any stranger than adjusting the height of a piano bench to compensate for leg length and body height.

G
G
Originally Posted by leemax
I have average-size hands, too. At this point, I think that if there were much less space between the sharps I would be getting my fingers stuck between them on certain passages. Even now there are times when the fit is a little tight. Again, my fingers are normal size, not abnormally thick.

Then you are in a good position to imagine the small handed man asking for a smaller keyboard.

Imagine you'd currently be unable to get your fingers between the black keys. People would tell you that you'd just have to deal with it since this is the standard size that has been around for 120 years. You'd be advised to cheat or skip any repertoire that needs you to play between the black keys. Or worse, just refrain from playing the piano at all.

Would you not ask for something rather obvious as a larger keyboard or at least more space between the black keys maybe by making them narrower?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Oh I don't think it's quite as straight forward as "this is the most optimal keyboard size for the majority of players". Steinbuhler has this to say about it:

One reason conventional keyboards are so large was do to the fierce pressure in the 19th century for piano manufacturers to win competitions. They were driven to produce pianos that had ever bigger sound which meant they would build pianos with more strings and ever bigger hammers. Cristofori’s first keyboards were the same size as in today’s modern pianos, but the initial reaction to his keyboard was to build smaller ones. Then in the 19th century as manufacturers strove for market share, designs for the modern piano evolved and pushed the width of the keyboard back out again. However, today it is possible to have pianos with very big sound and also to fit them with keyboards that are ergonomically suited to every hand.

Let's also not forget that in those days when the piano became what it is today, women usually weren't welcome to play at all. Not suprising, then, that keyboards were made for men, and even then usually so that the average and large handed people could play comfortably.

Also, all of this happened in Europe. Today we have piano players all around the world. Asians have a huge interest in the piano and they on average have smaller hands than Americans or Europeans.

Adjusting the keyboard size to the player really isn't any stranger than adjusting the height of a piano bench to compensate for leg length and body height.

Even so, what do you think this thread is going to accomplish? Are you going to invest your time and energy into trying to change it? Or are you just going to add your +1 (and judge anybody who doesn't agree with you as being essentially discriminatory?).

You've made your points about why you would like it, but you haven't made an attempt to address the points raised in this thread. Profitability for manufacturers; its expensive to build and market a new product, especially with low volumes. I know you are convinced that there are hoardes of small-handed people who would jump onboard in a flash, but you don't actually have evidence of that. A lot of people who would prefer a smaller keyboard would still not buy one because they see the wisdom of learning to play the more prevalent standard keyboard - especially if they plan to study music in the future.

How do you expect the world of churches, community centers, schools, local theaters. etc to cope with the duplication of resources? They only have the budget and room for 1 piano. Or is this just for people who like to carry around their own portable keyboards with narrow keys? In which case, they would be condemned to lugging around their cheap portable instrument wherever they play because they can't use the real piano?

These are real concerns. You make it some sort of civil rights campaign to give small-handed people a chance, but there are practical issues at play here. That's the sticking point. Do you expect those to just solve themselves? I think rather than continually pointing out how much nicer a smaller keyboard would be for small hands, and the history of why they were deprived of it, you should outline some sort of scenario which makes this viable.

G
G
You're taking this a bit too seriously ando. You're quite right (and I already agreed with you) that the chance for this to really take off is very slim. I think if that ever were to happen in the future, Asians would probably be the driving force. Not only do they have small handed people and tons of women who play piano, they also have the majority of the piano industry.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything other than to point out how ironic the situation is. On one side we have concert pianists who adjust pretty much everything in their pianos. Tone, touch, acoustics, bench height, sitting position. The latter two especially, stuff that is taught ad nauseam: how important it is to have the right posture and to sit at the correct distance and optimal height. Yes something as essential as keyboard size remains static for practical and technical reasons. The keyboard, the very thing that every pianist uses first and foremost to play music.

If we had none of these practical limitations, if indeed every pianist could bring his own keyboard and insert it into any piano, or at least choose of one of 2 established sizes, would you approve and welcome the benefits?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
You're taking this a bit too seriously ando. You're quite right (and I already agreed with you) that the chance for this to really take off is very slim. I think if that ever were to happen in the future, Asians would probably be the driving force. Not only do they have small handed people and tons of women who play piano, they also have the majority of the piano industry.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything other than to point out how ironic the situation is. On one side we have concert pianists who adjust pretty much everything in their pianos. Tone, touch, acoustics, bench height, sitting position. The latter two especially, stuff that is taught ad nauseam: how important it is to have the right posture and to sit at the correct distance and optimal height. Yes something as essential as keyboard size remains static for practical and technical reasons. The keyboard, the very thing that every pianist uses first and foremost to play music.

If we had none of these practical limitations, if indeed every pianist could bring his own keyboard and insert it into any piano, or at least choose of one of 2 established sizes, would you approve and welcome the benefits?

Nice try GT, but you are taking it just as seriously, you just prefer to focus on the utopian view of there being no practical limitations. Of course I agree with your comments on keyboard size would ideally be perfectly customized to the player. That is so obvious it barely needs to be stated. It's also fairy-land. This discussion is about real-world practicalities, because there's no argument about the idealism you describe. The question begins with "why can't we have a smaller keyboard?" What else could this thread possibly be about other than whether it is really practical?

G
G
Fair enough. Although I have no problem going to fairy land every now and then.

Luckily, it's not entirely fairy land. As you can clearly see, Steinbuhler does offer smaller keyboards. You can have an upright with a smaller keyboard, or have his keyboard installed in your favorite grand piano.

Not practical because you need to play in places outside your home? Perhaps, but not everyone has that issue. I dare say the majority of people play as a hobby in their own home, as do I. What's missing is a digital option.

O
O

I think ultra conservatism plays a part here. Paraphrasing the words of another posterl the piano market is anything but rational.

Last edited by ONfrank; 10/25/12 04:47 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

This is the wrong argument. What you need is the piano to be height adjustable, as adjusting the bench just does not cater for all arm, leg, and body sizes. Adjusting the bench, does not work for me, for example, but, just like with the keyboard, I play the instrument anyway.

Actually I am in favour of stage pianos for this reason, but I no longer own one.

P
P
Steinbuhler already builds new, smaller keyboards that can be installed on any grand piano. It really isn't far-fetched to believe that a piano built from the ground up could have multiple keyboards that could be quickly swapped out depending on the player's preferences. Another option is somehow setting up a digital keyboard to function as a controller for an actual piano. People could customize their own digital keyboard to suit their needs (action, width, key depth, etc.), it would be highly portable, and could be used on any acoustic piano designed to interface with the keyboard. If such a system were put in place, the idea of playing on a "one size fits all" keyboard could eventually seem archaic. I don't expect radical changes any time soon, but it's fun to think about.

G
G
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

This is the wrong argument. What you need is the piano to be height adjustable, as adjusting the bench just does not cater for all arm, leg, and body sizes. Adjusting the bench, does not work for me, for example, but, just like with the keyboard, I play the instrument anyway.

Actually I am in favour of stage pianos for this reason, but I no longer own one.

Yeah, good point. If we're talking about adjusting the instrument to the needs of the player then indeed the piano could be height adjustable. But at least the current situation with adjustable bench works somewhat effectively. At least there is a possibility for adjustment to begin with.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you want to adjust the height of the piano instead of the bench it's already been done ... http://www.alpha-piano.com/

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
If you want to adjust the height of the piano instead of the bench it's already been done ... http://www.alpha-piano.com/

Ooh thanks had not seen that before. Interesting, seems to solve the 'memory' thread, handles my height complaint, now just need variable width keys and slightly lower price.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That's the only hybrid piano that has the keyboard action from a nine footer. That started out originally as a Bösendorfer hybrid ... and probably sells for €30,000.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
... not everybody joins the smaller keys discussion thread, but for sure more people than showing up in this thread could take advantage of smaller keys:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...laying%20monster%20chords....html#UNREAD

I guess, once a good and affordable smaller keys keybed would be available in a DP (reaching a wide market), it will sell well - maybe starting off slowly, but for sure continuosly winning market.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission