Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1977891 - 10/24/12 07:49 AM Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Did a very informal performance of this, mostly for some friends/teachers, yesterday. For some reasons, I'm not yet able to upload the greater part of the performance, but the whole first movement is here so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PuohgjUKc

#1977964 - 10/24/12 10:51 AM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa stupid DVD, it doesn't manage to read the final part of the DVD, seems to be some silly error and I would need to install some sort of program to fix this .VOB file. meh.

#1978078 - 10/24/12 03:17 PM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
fnork- I am nowhere near capable of playing a piece like the Prokofiev but I am curious about how the physical excitement of playing a piece like that might compare to other concerti even including some of the other big Romantic ones. Is it different from performing the concerti of Liszt, Rachmaninov, and Brahms for example?

#1978082 - 10/24/12 03:36 PM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

let's start with saying that the physical excitement is huge! laugh in fact, there are certain passages in this piece that are written more or less with this very physical excitement in mind - Olli Mustonen said wisely in an interview about Prokofiev that it's all so very acrobatic and elegant. In certain cases, it means that Prokofiev even writes things in a way (ie having the hands cross, etc) that could be done in a more "practical" way (and in a few cases I've opted for more practical solutions), but in some cases there is a loss of excitement if you re-arrange things he wrote. Hope this makes sense. That's the first important thing. The second thing to consider is that the piano literally has pause for perhaps 12-20 bars per movement or so, the rest of the time you're busy trying to hit all of the notes at the right time. There are few moments to breathe and relax, and even in lyrical and slow passages there's always the issue of being together with the orchestra or 2nd piano - not always that easy, my pianist did a great job. Out of the other concerti you mentioned I've only played Rach 2. It's just a completely different piece of music, I guess, that's all. Prokofiev 3rd is just plain fun and a pure joy to play from the first to the very last bar. But Prok is probably more physically draining - I still felt tired two hours after this performance, the whole ending of the 3rd movement is such a knockout...

#1978088 - 10/24/12 03:50 PM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: fnork
let's start with saying that the physical excitement is huge! laugh in fact, there are certain passages in this piece that are written more or less with this very physical excitement in mind - Olli Mustonen said wisely in an interview about Prokofiev that it's all so very acrobatic and elegant. In certain cases, it means that Prokofiev even writes things in a way (ie having the hands cross, etc) that could be done in a more "practical" way (and in a few cases I've opted for more practical solutions), but in some cases there is a loss of excitement if you re-arrange things he wrote. Hope this makes sense. That's the first important thing. The second thing to consider is that the piano literally has pause for perhaps 12-20 bars per movement or so, the rest of the time you're busy trying to hit all of the notes at the right time. There are few moments to breathe and relax, and even in lyrical and slow passages there's always the issue of being together with the orchestra or 2nd piano - not always that easy, my pianist did a great job. Out of the other concerti you mentioned I've only played Rach 2. It's just a completely different piece of music, I guess, that's all. Prokofiev 3rd is just plain fun and a pure joy to play from the first to the very last bar. But Prok is probably more physically draining - I still felt tired two hours after this performance, the whole ending of the 3rd movement is such a knockout...
Very interesting. I remember watching the ending of the third movement of some YouTube performance many times in a row because it is, as you say, such a knockout.

#1978323 - 10/25/12 03:09 AM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Extremely exciting! I don't think that I would ever be capable of pulling of the Rach 2 and then the Prok 3 and go on like this... Too much studying involved... :P

Your playing is very clean and almost metalic in a sense, which is pretty much what this concerto requires (imho of course), so... YAY! Very well done!

And very well done to your accompanist: He did a brilliant job as well!

#1978701 - 10/25/12 11:20 PM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
fnork -

I appreciate the fact that you posted this - not just because you play the piece so well (which you do) - but also because I haven't heard (or seen the score) of the "two piano" version of the 1st movement of the Prokofiev 3rd since I accompanied three talented high school students who performed it in a concerto competition 35 years ago. Kudos to both you and your accompanist !! thumb

#2001249 - 12/18/12 03:50 PM Re: Prokofiev 3rd piano concerto [Re: fnork]
fnork Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Here's the entire thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5B3e9uO3C-g#t=5283s

For some reason, I'm not able to edit the video, which is a 2-hour uncut concert. In any case, the link is where the Prokofiev concerto starts smile

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Alex1, accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 45 invisible), 1814 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156137 Topics
2292832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
14 minutes 5 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
33 minutes 33 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
42 minutes 12 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
43 minutes 1 second ago
The Princess: from Waltz of the Asparagus People
by Piano World
47 minutes 23 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission