2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
S
I think that is the more important topic.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Stop bickering and name calling. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Stop bickering and name calling. smile

Exactly: address the issue not the poster. As Ken Knapp astutely observes and has stated previously problems always begin when members address what others are doing rather than what they are posting for content.

Just because some other member does not agree with your posting does not mean they are a “something”

Long time member BDB;

Using labels exhibits laxity of thought. It is an ad hominem argument, no better than name-calling, and lacks substance.

T
T
How to make PW advice better, well, don't listen to no-nothings like me! LOL

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The quality of advice given is directly related to any poster's level of expertise. Posters tend to come and go. They get the information that they think that they need and move on. Genuine information runs the gamut. Some technical info given as gospel, has been gleaned from a very narrow frame of reference, some over a very long period of time. A snapshot of opinions today will vary from a similar query a few years ago or a few years forward and some info is just better than other info. I think it would benefit those making queries if those replying would also include their backround, especially if they are not a business per se. In this way, an opinion could be weighted according to the level of experience. As an example, some have proffered that asian pianos over 25 years of age are due for a rebuild, the tuning pins aren't tight and the bass strings are dead. My daughter as an example tried to sell her Kawai upright circa. 1970. When folks called her about it and found that it was made in 1970, they wouldn't even come out and try it because they said that on Piano World they heard that essentially the life of the piano was over.Years later she still has it, it's still in tune, the bass strings aren't dead and she hasn't been able to sell it...because of a pile of balderdash heard on this website. Never mind that Dad's hobby is pianos and it has a new set of hammers and it is in excellent regulation.

Just my two cents!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't believe you should share your wisdom/advice unless some one is asking for it. I figure I always have something to learn so I will accept and reject advice as needed.

rada

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it is great as it is now... This forum rocks! smile

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The presence of industry spies is a limiting factor - particularly when they can not agree with a realistic comment about their product.

As a result of bullying by one global company representative, there is one product which I won't make comment on now, despite the poor presentation and preparation of the samples provided. That then skews opinion in favour of that company.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
The presence of industry spies is a limiting factor - particularly when they can not (handle a) comment about their product.

As a result of bullying by one global company representative, there is one product which I won't make comment on now, despite the poor presentation and preparation of the samples provided.

Agreed. I walked away from Kawai due to one representative here just as I was about to slap down $35K+ on one of their grands. Went with a famous German maker instead and am happier on all fronts.

If the representatives would stop pushing propaganda and vitriol, it would help.
I like that the techs voice their experiences, opinions, and recommendations, but when the sniping begins, it is tedious. The threads bog down in lengthy off-topic blather.
Stop attacking opinion as if it is fact. Just frame it properly as opinion.

MORE SOUNDS. This is a PIANO forum and almost no one posts sounds. "I've got an amazing sounding grand... here's a picture." Huh? "These Abel hammers sound incredible. (end of post)" Wha? I don't care if you mangle Chopsticks trying to show off the sound, and scr@w the critics, I'd like to hear the range of pianos and hammers and wires and everything. I suspect most would love this.

I wish there was more info about restoration and parts. More photos. It's hard to get a lot of detail about actions and hammers and so forth.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
The problem with posting recordings with the intent of using them to evaluate sound is that quality of the recordings and the quality of the speakers being used by the listener both have an effect on what one hears. I think the quality of the recording has the much bigger effect.

I also think the quality of the performer affects the sound somewhat, at least to the extent it can be hard to separate the sound from the skill of the performer.

If I'm not mistaken Larry Fine is in the process of getting recordings of different pianos posted but I don't know exactly where.

As far as the quality of advice goes, I think it is really impossible to improve on that on an internet forum. I wonder if there internet forums dealing with things other than pianos that have some way that they try to do this? The person reading the thread has to try as best as they can to decide on how knowledgeable and trustworthy the poster is and whether the poster has any agenda that would affect their advice. I have yet to read a single dealer post that says even the tiniest negative thing about a piano they sell. And most piano owners rave about their own pianos.

It would be fun if, just for a few days, all posters had to take a truth serum and say exactly what they were really thinking.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/19/12 10:42 AM.
Originally Posted by Pianoloverus
As far as the quality of advice goes, I think it is really impossible to improve on that on an internet forum. I wonder if there internet forums dealing with things other than pianos that have some way that they try to do this? The person reading the thread has to try as best as they can to decide on how knowledgeable and trustworthy the poster is and whether the poster has any agenda that would affect their advice. I have yet to read a single dealer post that says even the tiniest negative thing about a piano they sell. And most piano owners rave about their own pianos.

Pianoloverus, I agree you here… what you said makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand, Steve has a good point… I personally think anything that we have some control over, to any extent, can be improved in some way. I’m an advocate of Dr. Edward Deming’s philosophy of continuous improvement.

Also, keep in mind that the advice given here is free… and, at times, is worth about what it costs. Our system of checks and balances here are the many pros and experts that can counter any outright bad advice. (And some have countered my bad advice.) smile

With that said, I think any improvements in the advice given here on the Piano World forums would have to start with improvements from our members. As we experience our own self-improvement and grow, and mature, and get better at what we do, the improvements in the advice we give here will get better.

I, for one, know that I have only scratched the surface when it comes to knowledge about pianos and all things related. I think as I learn more I’ll be able to give better advice to others. And, even if my advice is not all that good, I can be a good motivator and encourager! Surely that counts for something. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The problem with posting recordings with the intent of using them to evaluate sound is that quality of the recordings and the quality of the speakers being used by the listener both have an effect on what one hears. I think the quality of the recording has the much bigger effect.

The quality and settings of the sound card in the computer used to hear the recording also has a direct effect on what one hears.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

It would be fun if, just for a few days, all posters had to take a truth serum and say exactly what they were really thinking.

I must have taken a dose some years ago.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rusty Fortysome

I wish there was more info about restoration and parts. More photos. It's hard to get a lot of detail about actions and hammers and so forth.

Plenty of materials on my web site photo gallery along with 50 postings to my blog about a variety of the topics mentioned.

Whoops not that I am promoting myself at all Rickster; just finding solutions for one member’s dilemma.

Isaac Oleg in Vitry, France ( Kamin on the list) has a lot of photos albums available for viewing also.

There are other members of the tech forum who provide photo sets and blogs of this type of content.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I believe that this forum exists to inform people about pianos, to promote the piano as a musical instrument and to encourage all piano players at every level of accomplishment.

Personally, my limited understanding and knowledge of pianos has been helped tremendously by my modest involvement in Pianoworld.

I find that the most credible, impartial responses about technical issues and problems with pianos come from the people who really know what they are talking about, the professional tuners and technicians.

Of course, we all have opinions about pianos, but we need to differentiate between what is fact and what is opinion. Again, the technical people on the forum seem to be better at this.

Negativity, especially in personal attacks and comments are a turn-off and moderators need to be vigilant.

It is a great forum and offers a wealth of information and lively discourse about pianos.

Robert.

Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
Whoops not that I am promoting myself at all Rickster; just finding solutions for one member’s dilemma.

Don't know that I've ever thought you were promoting youself here, Dan. I've always thought you were here to help in anyway you can. smile

It is folks like you, Robert 45, Del Fandrich, Supply (Jurgen Goering), Jerry Groot, Steven Cohen, Rich Galassini, and so many others that I have not named (but they know who they are), that make this forum such a wonderful place to learn about pianos (and lots of other things smile ).

By the way, what happened to PianoBroker (Tony Hamm?); We haven't heard from him in a long time.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
OP Offline
S
One idea would be to some how allow newbies to know which posters have broad and deep experience in the industry. Maybe a designation of "certified advisor".

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
One idea would be to some how allow newbies to know which posters have broad and deep experience in the industry. Maybe a designation of "certified advisor".

And we should also add the category - "unbiased advisor" grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
V
V

How would that work?

David M. Boothe, CAS

Online Content

Originally Posted by ventil

How would that work?

About the same way as "unbiased advisor" ha

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Awwwww shucks, thanks Rick! That was mighty nice of you to say!

All in all, honesty is always a good policy no matter what, where, or when... I can't even begin to count the amount of dishonest people that I know, have met, continue to meet and seem to encounter pretty much everywhere I go! It seems that dishonesty, tends to be more prevalent than honesty in many instances. It's a "me me me" world and the other person doesn't count world. It is the way many people in today's society was raised. If, that way of thinking was reversed and people looked out for others, put others first and themselves second, did more for others, even volunteered somewhere, well, one person can make a difference. I know... That would make a big difference and would make everything, everywhere, including PW a better place.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission