Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1977648 - 10/23/12 04:37 PM National Auditions (Guild Repertoire)
Jocieness Offline

Hello,

So I've been searching the forums, reading the Guild syllabus and searching the internet in general, but I want to know if anyone can confirm the conclusion I've come up with.

I know there are various books as to level appropriate pieces for the Guild and the syllabus itself includes a section on the various books and the current classification of the pieces, but are these just a guide?

In other words, I want to be sure that we are not supposed to stick to a specific book or a certain set of specific books when choosing repertoire.

I remember when I participated in the Guild I performed songs from John Thompson, Michael Aaron, Alfred, Schaum, and if I'm not mistaken Faber & Faber method books. This leads me to believe that we are allowed to choose pieces from any book?

If this is the case, then my second question would be what criteria do you use to classify pieces that you choose for your students from books such as the aforementioned and others?

I'd really appreciate any guidance on this issue.

I've been teaching piano for over a year now, and this will be my first year taking a small number of my students to the Guild.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1977672 - 10/23/12 06:10 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's the beauty of Guild Auditions...you have a lot of choice in the music you play and you don't have to stick to a strict music list. I bought some of the Guild books too, but I rarely use them. My beginning and early intermediate students use pieces from their method books, and the older students are using their repertoire.

The syllabus outlines sample pieces that fit with each level, so I use that as my guide.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1977714 - 10/23/12 08:20 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Jocieness Offline

Thanks so much for your response.
That definitely helps me out a bit, and it does open up the scope of choices!!

#1978124 - 10/24/12 05:10 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

John should chime in here...he's the guild expert on these forums!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1978181 - 10/24/12 07:24 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Jocieness Offline

I definitely wouldn't mind hehe The more that chime in the better!

#1978240 - 10/24/12 09:49 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
The Guild Syllabus spells it out quite clearly, IMO. Be sure to study it thoroughly, over and over. It takes time to absorb all the information within it. I was on pins and needles for several years while I mastered all the material within it.

Students are assigned audition levels based on what they are playing, not the other way around. If your student is playing pieces which fall into the ED category, then that's the one you select for their audition. If they are playing say Bach's famous Minuet in G major, they are at level EF. All of their audition repertoire should be approximately at the same level. For example, you wouldn't have a student playing 9 pieces at level EF and the Mozart K535, which is PA. The judge would be within their rights to throw out the K535 and down grade the student's grade level to EF, and also, downgrade the National to State.

OTOH, you can have 5 pieces from level EF and 5 from level IA, and call it an EF program, no judge would criticize you for that.

The repertoire grading scale is located on the pages immediately following the IMMT and Phase definitions.

Is this your first year in Guild?

#1978252 - 10/24/12 10:21 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Hi John,

Question and a comment for you. The comment first: the OP actually mentioned "I've been teaching piano for over a year now, and this will be my first year taking a small number of my students to the Guild." - you might have missed that.

How extensive are the Guild syllabus repertoire lists?

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1978279 - 10/24/12 11:53 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: kayvee]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks. I did miss it, but it's really not germane to her question.

The Guild doesn't provide repertoire lists, per se. They have published some books, not many, which are graded. They provide a couple of lists of repertoire with suggested audition levels, but they expect qualified and knowledgeable teachers to extrapolate from these to the music their students are learning. They also have lists of some early to mid 20th century material, but it's becoming severely dated. Pieces by David Krahenbuhl were very popular with teachers 40 years ago, but you probably haven't heard of him. BTW, much of his material is quite wonderful. But times change and teachers' ideas of what's at each level change with it. I should rephrase this. Preparation of students change with time, and thus, a student ready for piece A after a certain amount of time may no longer be ready for it, with today's methods. Or conversely, a piece easily reachable for today's students learning with modern pedagogy might have been unreachable 50 years ago.

Hope this helps.

#1978307 - 10/25/12 01:50 AM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: John v.d.Brook]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Pieces by David Krahenbuhl were very popular with teachers 40 years ago, but you probably haven't heard of him. BTW, much of his material is quite wonderful.

40 years ago?

That's the bulk of the problem with 20th/21st-century piano music. There's just way too much music published, and a lot of gems get lost in the crowd.

#1978312 - 10/25/12 02:07 AM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
John, Are you sure you don't mean K. 545 (the C Major sonata)? K535 is a Country Dance in C for orchestra.

#1978392 - 10/25/12 08:26 AM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Minniemay]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
John, Are you sure you don't mean K. 545 (the C Major sonata)? K535 is a Country Dance in C for orchestra.

Yes, K545.

This is what happens when you're trying to put on a major recital for the teacher's group, teach, and at my age, visiting dr's more than you'd like to! This Saturday,, we hold the Harvest Festival. Roughly 100 students performing over 3 recitals. Have to coordinate a performance instrument coming in, a herd of cats (piano teachers ), getting to a masterclass for one of my students who will be performing a concerto in a month, etc. Overall, a fun weekend! Oh, yes, I still have a full teaching load! Argh.

#1978541 - 10/25/12 03:30 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
Jocieness Offline

Thanks so much for your input John.

It really does clear things up for me. As kayvee clarified, it will be my first year participating in the Guild as far as taking students. I myself participated in the Guild as a younger piano student, but obviously had no idea at the time everything it means for a teacher to prepare her students for it.

This puts me a bit more at ease as far as what I can select!

And I wish you well in all your current activities John, it does seem like you have plenty going on!

Again, thank you everyone!

Edited by Jocieness (10/25/12 03:31 PM)

#1978676 - 10/25/12 09:57 PM Re: National Auditions (Guild Repertoire) [Re: Jocieness]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A reminder to all Guild teachers - scales, chords, are paramount. Students need to know, at minimum, the scales & chords for each and every piece they perform for auditions. Check the syllabus for how many octaves, tempo requirements, etc. The sooner you begin working with students on this, the easier it will be.

Also, you should now be reviewing student progress and be forming an idea of what level they will be performing at. You need to advise your audition center how many students and average level within the next few weeks at latest. Your audition list should be going into national late January/February.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (AndrewJCW, AmateurBob, 25 invisible), 1250 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156177 Topics
2293496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
6 minutes 59 seconds ago
Broadway medley
by cheni
Today at 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
Today at 12:52 AM
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
Today at 12:45 AM
Summer Camp
by myip
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission