2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jawhitti #1961649 09/20/12 03:44 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by jawhitti
Maybe a new Yamaha S series would top an SK but I will freely admit that the new SK6 I played next to the [used] C6 I bought was hands down a better piano.

It played like butter and had a wonderful liquid singing sound. When I first played it I wasn't too impressed (sound seemed kind of "flat" to me) but when I spent more time with it and compared to the RX-5 next to it it really grew on me. It was VERY expensive though (60k?) and at that price point you could be looking at Bosies. I could believe that next to a Fazioli the SK wouldn't impress but at that point it becomes a matter of taste - the SK is very impressively put together and a very fine piano IMO.

Interestingly I was even tempted by the SK1, which has just a monster bass for being 5'10". I would have seriously considered it but even at 5'10 it was north of $40,000.

Should you change your mind, or should you have friends who might be interested in a Shigeru, I could speak to Steve - who is a good friend of mine - and obtain a significant price reduction for you just on my say-so: perhaps as much as five or ten dollars.

No, no - that's ok - glad to do it.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Mark... #1961652 09/20/12 03:46 PM
N
N
Mark, I think there's a mixup somewhere....that one said Yamaha on the fallboard.

turandot #1961659 09/20/12 03:57 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by turandot
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Maybe I'm misinterpreting some of the posts; but I feel there is some sort of an antagonistic tone towards Furtwangler by some of the Shigeru supporters. He is legitimately interested in the piano.

That may be true. I can't imagine that his interest is illegitimate in the usual sense of the word. However, Furtwangler's opening post ends with the sentence "Somehow I was just wondering". I have a feeing that line is a playful reference to a thread started by the proprietor of your shop (what goes around comes around))in which the proprietor sang the praises of the Shigeru to an extent that the thread was quickly shut down. That thread was titled "The Perfect Piano."

Probably Furt's been here long enough to know that any time you serve up a brand as a thread title, the responses from different interest groups pro and con is likely to result in a tug of war of polarized opinion. Also, Furt's segue to Rich Galassini to expound on his own favorite pianos indicates he may be on a fishing expedition and not all that interested in objectivity.

Hi T

Actually I started this thread somewhat tongue-in-cheek but also because I wanted some comments from others that I could forward to 2 friends of mine who are currently shopping for grand pianos, and although my opinion is one thing - the opinions of many others, including industry professionals, are important as well.

My segue to my friend Rich was in an attempt to allow him once again to express his love for Boesendorfers (I love them too) and also the new Cunningham pianos - which are truly a wonderful instrument and a phenomenal value.
Thus the reference to "B" or "C". But I think he is too shy.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newinstru?
Mark, I think there's a mixup somewhere....that one said Yamaha on the fallboard.

Too Funny. Here you go. Actually, kind of hard to find Kawai in this competition as most of the pianists chose Yamaha, Steinway, or Fazioli. Anna Fedorova is the only one I noticed playing on Kawai.

J
J
Furt - pretty sure I played an SK1. That one might actually have been 5'5 making even more remarkable. It was a pretty neat piano.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by newinstru?

Damn...when I saw an interior shot I thought I saw an SK medallion...

jawhitti #1961738 09/20/12 06:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jawhitti
Furt - pretty sure I played an SK1. That one might actually have been 5'5 making even more remarkable. It was a pretty neat piano.

Unless they've introduced something in the last year, the smallest has always been the SK2, 5'10".

I wonder what the SK1 would compete against? A Mason B? Are there little Bechsteins around?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

G
G

[/quote]

Actually I started this thread somewhat tongue-in-cheek but also because I wanted some comments from others that I could forward to 2 friends of mine who are currently shopping for grand pianos, and although my opinion is one thing - the opinions of many others, including industry professionals, are important as well.

[/quote]

I've been going thru a piano hunt for over 6 months and played over 75 pianos across the spectrum of new and used and prices from <$10k to >$100k. I already have an S&S B and played other fine Bs but I wanted something different for my 2nd piano. While I haven't finalized my purchase two of my short listed pianos are Shigerus. For a small grand the SK2 is tough to beat. Very big for its size but also refined. Great action and as someone else commented the best pedals of any piano I've played. I was looking for something bigger so the SK7 seems to be the one. I did play a fine 7' Fazioli but at nearly 2x the price it can't compete. The Fazioli sound seems soulless the more you play it (perhaps the antithesis of an M&H with its big and brash demeanour which, to me, also irrates over time) and I find you can get more tonal variety from the SK line. So for me the SK will offer a fine complement to my B and while others might come to different conclusions I believe any serious piano search would miss out by not considering them - especially considering value for money.

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
At first I thought the SK in the video sounded a bit peculiar, and then the midrange chords came out really clear and warm. I jumped over to YouTube to listen to Rubinstein and Perahia on Steinways... much more prefer the SK smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bösendorfer is competently built but I would choose a Shigeru over a Bösendorfer. The Bösendorfers I have played were good but not outstanding IMO. The one and only Shigeru I played on the other hand was delightful.

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
G
G
I have had my new SK III in my home now for 9 months now. My artisan visit came at 4 months. I fell in love with this piano after several years of trying everything around the 6' range. I really had my heart set on a Steinway. I could not find anything that I liked as well as the SK III. The touch is magnificent, and the sound is so rich from top to bottom. The upper range sings in a very clear beautiful way without any hint of the harsh hammered sound you find so frequently. The bass is clean and resonant like that of a much larger piano.

Nine months later I still look forward to getting home every afternoon so I can play. The instrument has only gotten better and better with time! Anyone who has not played a Shigeru should find one and give it a try before making a purchase decision.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
Anna Fedorova is the only one I noticed playing on Kawai.

Not surprising. I would notice Anna Fedorova if she was playing on a Lester spinet.

Gary
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I tried Shigeru Kawai at its dealer. This dealer also sells Fazioli.
SK is a very well built piano, but I have to say that I am not impressed by the sound, and action.
They are just good piano, they are not amazing. I will choose a new Yamaha over SK.

Which "Yamaha"? Yamaha U1? crazy

Bösendorfer is competently built but I would choose a Shigeru over a Bösendorfer. The Bösendorfers I have played were good but not outstanding IMO.

Which model[s]?

9' against 9' grand? blush

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 10/25/12 12:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission