Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1974407 - 10/17/12 05:29 AM Best keyboard Amplifier
AMC58 Offline

I have a Yamaha PF-500. I absolutely love the way it sounds through a pair of Bose QC-2 headphones (these are expensive to buy, but not really all that high-end - got 'em free from American Airlines.) The piano sounds okay, even decent, when played through the built-in internal speakers/amp but, doesn't approach the gorgeous sound in the headphones. Are there any amps that will make it sound this good? Or are headphones just always going to sound way better? I've tried playing it through a Yamaha PA and a cheap no-name bass/guitar/keyboard amp (that hums!) I can get more volume, but the sound isn't as good as the headphone sound.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1974410 - 10/17/12 05:34 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
How much are you willing to spend?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1974411 - 10/17/12 05:35 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@AMC58,

Try these speakers, with a dedicated subwoofer:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Nice clear treble and midrange sounds through the two satellites, and, solid bass with the subwoofer.

Definitely a high quality package at a low price.

#1974412 - 10/17/12 05:44 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: Kawai James]
AMC58 Offline

If it sounded as good as the headphones? Maybe as much as $2000. To be honest, I have no idea what these things cost. I have an electronic drum amp from roland that was $700 or so, that sounds pretty good, but it's probably not as beefy as what is required to produce the range of PF-500 sounds.

#1974431 - 10/17/12 07:51 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
If you play in a small room and you don't need to project so that other can hear, a pair of bookshelf speakers might do nicely.

If you want to fill a living room (or larger space), you really need bigger speakers.

I need the latter, so I have a pair of 34" tower speakers on either side of the piano, and a pair of bookshelf speakers on stands behind the piano. And an A/V receiver/amplifier to drive all four. This fills the room with sound. Excellent results.

Purchased new the equipment would have cost just under $800. But I bought it all used on Ebay and Craigs List for $175.

#1974471 - 10/17/12 09:45 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
At home I am using a Roland CM-220 system with my MOX8. It has a 10 inch sub that puts out 100 watts and two 4 1/2 inch, 50 watt satellite speakers.

LINK

I was using a pair of KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors and a sub. The Roland sounds much better to me because the studio monitors pointed out any little flaw in the sound and seemed to exaggerate it. The Roland system just gives me great piano sound. I now am using the KRK speakers only for mixing my recordings as they were intended.

I even used the CM-220 system to play a wine tasting event indoors with about 150 people. They worked great.
For loud gigs with my band I am using a powered mixer and two Mackie 10 inch PA speakers just for monitoring my keys. The guitar and drums can get rather loud!

Edited by Kbeaumont (10/17/12 09:52 AM)

#1974661 - 10/17/12 03:54 PM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
In order for better sound through speakers, you need to move larger volumes of air. I am a firm believer that while newer speakers save tons of space, they are good at 'simulating' good sound, instead of producing it. In order to really have good sound, you require large bulky monitors/speakers.

That is why almost any system of the 70s and 80s hooked to newer HiFi systems sound much better than the 5 smaller ultra expensive Bose tweeters placed all around a house frown (I'm sure others will disagree here, but I have never heard a two inch speaker with a separate sub-woofer sound as good as two well placed 3 feet tall speakers).

So, being in your same situation, I went with the larger, best Monitors that where within my budget. Had I had a bit more, I would have gone for these: M-Audio BX8 D2 . They are good value for the money, they won't empty your bank account, and they sound leaps and bounds better than computer 2.1 speakers IMHO (even the most expensive ones like JBL or the likes).

That is, of course, only my opinion,
Rafa.

#1974711 - 10/17/12 04:53 PM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
That's the story, Rafa. Physics doesn't change. If you want to move a lot of air, you need a lot of speaker.

#1978341 - 10/25/12 04:40 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
Duke LeJeune Offline

Loc: Preston, Idaho,
Even very expensive speakers probably will not duplicate the degree of inner detail that you get through a good pair of headphones at a far lower price, in large part because the speaker elements in headphones only have to play at very low output levels because your ears are so close, so the moving parts can be extremely lightweight and optimized for conveying nuance. On the other hand, good speakers can interact with the room in a way that is somewhat reminiscent of how an actual piano behaves. The top priority in this regard, in my opinion, would be a radiation pattern that is fairly uniform across as much of the spectrum as is feasible, so that the reverberant energy in the room has approximately the same spectral balance as the first-arrival sound.

The fundamental principle at play here is "beaming". As we go up in frequency, a given driver (woofer, midrange, or tweeter) will have an increasingly narrow radiation pattern. And at a given frequency, somewhat counter-intuitively, a large-diameter driver will have a more narrow radiation pattern than a small-diameter driver (I can explain why if you'd like). The effects of beaming are most audible at the very top end (where the high treble almost always beams), and less obvious but stil quite audible in the crossover region where we go from a beaming woofer to a wide-pattern tweeer. The net result is usually excess off-axis energy at the lower end of the tweeter's range, 2-4 kHz ballpark, causing the speakers to sound somewhat louder in this region than they should be because the ear integrates the reverberant energy with the first-arrival sound when computing the perceived timbre.

Two possible solutions are, speakers with a horn or waveguide that forces the tweeter to have approximately the same radiation pattern as the woofer in the crossover region, and adding a relatively small-diameter midrange driver so that we no longer have significant radiation pattern discontinuities in the crossover regions. If done right, the net result is a more realistic presentation because the reverberant energy works with, rather than against, the first-arrival sound - something that happens naturally with an acoustic piano. I'm not saying that this is the only thing that matters in speaker design, but I believe it to be important, and often overlooked, and of some significance if we're trying to approximate the sound of a real piano.

#1978388 - 10/25/12 08:02 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
pianonewb Offline

Loc: No. Va.
I got great results running through my home stereo system. If you have a decent system, Radio Shack sells adapter cables to route the signal from your DP to an aux channel of your reciever. Assuming you have a good stereo, I'd try that first. The only cost would be for the adapter cable.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

#1978393 - 10/25/12 08:38 AM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
fiatlux Offline

Speaking of speakers... I understand monitor speakers are highly directional and may not be ideal to convey the sense of volume of a piano sound.

What about using a pair of reasonably large dipole rear surround speakers? Those are designed to fill the room, and should you wish to add a subwoofer, there will typically be a matching model.

#1978490 - 10/25/12 01:39 PM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: AMC58]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: AMC58
I have a Yamaha PF-500. I absolutely love the way it sounds through a pair of Bose QC-2 headphones (these are expensive to buy, but not really all that high-end - got 'em free from American Airlines.) The piano sounds okay, even decent, when played through the built-in internal speakers/amp but, doesn't approach the gorgeous sound in the headphones. Are there any amps that will make it sound this good? Or are headphones just always going to sound way better? I've tried playing it through a Yamaha PA and a cheap no-name bass/guitar/keyboard amp (that hums!) I can get more volume, but the sound isn't as good as the headphone sound.

There is a lot of variety in speakers, both in design and in price (some products being truly outrageously priced). Some speakers will sound better than others, but I doubt that you will find any speakers that will sound as good, detailed. and clear as a nice set of headphones in a normal room (not sure if the QC-2 really count as nice headphones, though, as you point out).

There is something nice about having the sound all around you and coming from the piano, but in my experience you usually you have to compromise on the sound to get it. Possibly the situation changes if you have a room with excellent design and acoustic treatment and a very high-end system. I've never been in a room like that so I wouldn't know.

Edited by gvfarns (10/25/12 01:40 PM)

#1979073 - 10/26/12 08:02 PM Re: Best keyboard Amplifier [Re: fiatlux]
Duke LeJeune Offline

Loc: Preston, Idaho,
Originally Posted By: fiatlux
Speaking of speakers... I understand monitor speakers are highly directional and may not be ideal to convey the sense of volume of a piano sound.

What about using a pair of reasonably large dipole rear surround speakers? Those are designed to fill the room, and should you wish to add a subwoofer, there will typically be a matching model.

I agree with the general direction you're headed here, but not sure about the specifics of using dipole surround speakers. Just don't know enough about the sort of sound quality you can expect. Personally I would prefer bipole rather than dipole configuration, so that you're getting reinforcement rather than cancellation in the low end.

Edited by Duke LeJeune (10/26/12 08:03 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Is Bondfix just as good as Hotstuff CA glue?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
Yesterday at 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
Yesterday at 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
Yesterday at 06:23 PM
Who's Online
83 registered (Adypiano, AEMontoya, Baroque Style, 25 invisible), 975 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157700 Topics
2316395 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission