Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1985761 - 11/12/12 03:44 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
wmpiano Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi

First time post here - but i've been following this forum for quite some years ;-).

Some background :I have done a few years of music evening school for adults (alfred 1&2 and some of the simple numbers in the anna magdalena book were some of the books we used).

After i stopped i also found this wonderfull book of blues. However, i hit my limit very fast in this book:

1) pag 15 : beginners blues is ok but the second variation exercise , with the "do sol-mi do" bassline patern is hard. i'm losing a little bit of confidence with that, is persistence the key ? hands apart is ok but together i do get confused with this number.

2) pag 18: Beginners Boogie : Here also the second chorus gives the same problems, especially the parts where both hands are moving different.

The Bach parts also did take some time to learn, some months if i remember well, i'm a very slow and not well gifted learner.

Are there any specific tricks that could help me with learning these number ?

Thank You !

Wim

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1997599 - 12/10/12 09:22 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
This is my recent play.

Riff Blues
No. 21 Improvising Blues Piano by Tim Richards

This is practice of sixth chords.

update: Change the link enable public access.

https://www.box.com/s/ucxf96razrzv1rapndtw

Edited by Weiyan (12/11/12 08:39 AM)

#1997712 - 12/11/12 02:46 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: Weiyan]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Weiyan
This is my recent play.

Riff Blues

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_5088830134

I can't access the file Weiyan !

#1997774 - 12/11/12 08:20 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Originally Posted By: Weiyan
This is my recent play.

Riff Blues

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_5088830134

I can't access the file Weiyan !

Thank you. I updated the link of original post for public access.

https://www.box.com/s/ucxf96razrzv1rapndtw

Edited by Weiyan (12/11/12 08:39 AM)

#1997865 - 12/11/12 12:24 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ok that works now!

Way to go Weiyan! You are really getting to be very good at this

#1997876 - 12/11/12 12:52 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

Thanks for the book recommendation, cas... I've been thinking about getting a blues piano intro book, since my son's teacher has him doing a little of this. I've put it on my wish list on amazon, hoping that maybe it shows up in my stocking. smile

#2110552 - 06/30/13 10:43 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hello .....

I have the book IMPROVISING BLUES PIANO and am considering making another run at it.

Just wondering if the interest and enthusiasm shown at the beginning of this thread, about a year ago, is still burning brightly or has the reality of the "work" involved served to extinguish that flame ?

Anyone ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2110556 - 06/30/13 11:07 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: dmd]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: dmd
Hello .....

I have the book IMPROVISING BLUES PIANO and am considering making another run at it.

Just wondering if the interest and enthusiasm shown at the beginning of this thread, about a year ago, is still burning brightly or has the reality of the "work" involved served to extinguish that flame ?

Anyone ?

Hi Don,
I think Weiyan has been working away on it. I got side tracked when I started with my new teacher back in September.

I'd like to work on it over the summer and see what kind of progress I can make.

Maybe your post here was just what I needed to kick-start the project!

Let's see what we can do!

#2110565 - 06/30/13 11:28 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds good.

Well, I am now working on Beginner's Blues on page 15. LOL ...

I will be asking my instructor to help me with this also so maybe this time I will make some progress.

How far have you progressed in the book ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2110566 - 06/30/13 11:34 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Not far at all, in fact I will start from the beginning again as it has been more than six months since I even opened it!!! I think that before I may have started on the second unit, but truly, I don't remember!

A fresh start is in order, and I can only hope that what I have learned over the past "school year" will have made a difference to my abilities in this area smile

We shall see!

#2110569 - 06/30/13 11:45 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I started it, and am quietly working through it (with teacher). Now at about page 65. The fun hasn't worn off.

I looked ahead, and found that he has "Blue Monk", which I've always loved, and never knew how to play. So the book really does go somewhere I'm interested in. And the improvisation suggestions are excellent.

For what the blues _really_ sounds like (as opposed to Tim Richard's simplified versions), I've been listening to a Smithsonian CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Piano-Blues-From-Smithsonian/dp/B0018OAOQW

I have a long way to go . . .

The book is suggested for "intermediate" pianists. But the fingerings are all written in, and they're pretty natural. I think a "beginner" could tackle it, slowly.

. Charles

#2110571 - 06/30/13 11:46 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I can only hope that what I have learned over the past "school year" will have made a difference to my abilities in this area smile

It probably will. As you know, just the passage of time seems to improve some things that you had worked on previously.

Well, this will be slow-going so I do not expect this thread to stay in the fore but when I have something to post or inquire about ... I will. You do the same. Good Luck

AND ... anyone else who joins in ... please do the same.

#2110573 - 06/30/13 11:50 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: Charles Cohen]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
I started it, and am quietly working through it (with teacher). Now at about page 65. The fun hasn't worn off.

I looked ahead, and found that he has "Blue Monk", which I've always loved, and never knew how to play. So the book really does go somewhere I'm interested in. And the improvisation suggestions are excellent.

For what the blues _really_ sounds like (as opposed to Tim Richard's simplified versions), I've been listening to a Smithsonian CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Piano-Blues-From-Smithsonian/dp/B0018OAOQW

I have a long way to go . . .

The book is suggested for "intermediate" pianists. But the fingerings are all written in, and they're pretty natural. I think a "beginner" could tackle it, slowly.

. Charles

Hi Charles,

Nice to hear from someone who is actually making progress.

Curious as to how long you have been at it ?

#2110581 - 06/30/13 12:06 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I hit a wall trying to improvise the RH over the LH. And I didn't feel as if learning a blues piece from notation and then trying to improv on it was getting to the heart of the matter for me. I'm inspired by Dave Frank's thread and video on modal vamping improv to tackle improv again, but probably not from Richards' book -- wonderful as the book seems to be for other people.

#2110592 - 06/30/13 12:34 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
I hit a wall trying to improvise the RH over the LH. And I didn't feel as if learning a blues piece from notation and then trying to improv on it was getting to the heart of the matter for me. I'm inspired by Dave Frank's thread and video on modal vamping improv to tackle improv again, but probably not from Richards' book -- wonderful as the book seems to be for other people.

I hear you.

This stuff is tough.

We all have high hopes and we work on it for awhile and when things get bogged down, we (at least I do) tend to lose interest and move on to something else. That just seems to be the nature of the beast.

That is why having someone like Charles around can be a big help. Maybe he can give us the "tips" we need to get moving again when we come to a stop.

#2110931 - 07/01/13 12:48 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: dmd]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Charles,

Nice to hear from someone who is actually making progress.

Curious as to how long you have been at it ?

Two or three months. It's not easy work. When I played a blues version of "Silent Night" (over Tim Richards' LH pattern) and my teacher started laughing, I figured there was hope for me.

To improvise RH over LH, two suggestions:

. . . Have the LH part learned so well you don't have to
. . . think about playing it;

. . . Slow down the tempo, because you _will_ be thinking
. . . about the RH part, not just playing it.

People don't improvise "from scratch". They improvise from a toolkit of stuff they've practiced. Combinations of chords, patterns, rhythms that form "chunks" in the player's musical vocabulary. That's one of the lessons that Tim Richards teaches. [This may not apply to Keith Jarrett, but it's how most other people work.]

. Charles

PS: A friend once got two versions of Sonny Rollins (I think) playing "Night in Tunisia", made ten or twenty years apart. There's a fantastic riff at the start of the piece. He listened to both recordings, and said:

. . . "They're identical. He memorized it. I feel better, now."

#2111013 - 07/01/13 06:46 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: Charles Cohen]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Charles:

2 or 3 months ? I expected much longer.

I hope I can reach page 65 by the end of the year.

It would be great/motivational if you could post your rendition of one of the Blues pieces from the book. Something you are pretty comfortable with ... including the "improv".

#2111331 - 07/02/13 02:35 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Charles:

2 or 3 months ? I expected much longer.

I hope I can reach page 65 by the end of the year.

It would be great/motivational if you could post your rendition of one of the Blues pieces from the book. Something you are pretty comfortable with ... including the "improv".

Don't judge your progress by looking at someone else. You run _your_ race at _your_ speed. (That might make it a "journey", instead of a "race".)

Here's what I came up with - and the "warts" are obvious (this was only my thirteenth "take", today):

https://soundcloud.com/cpcohen1945/barrelhouse-blues-tim-richards

I already had a SoundCloud account. They're free, and the site is dead simple to use.

Enjoy --

. Charles

PS -- I've used 6th's (inverted thirds) where TR uses thirds, in many cases. Just style. And he covers it in the next section.

PPS -- the SoundCloud area includes some testing of the PX-350 "half-pedal" function -- please ignore that.

#2111437 - 07/02/13 09:12 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: Charles Cohen]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

@ Charles:

Great Job !!!

That was very, very good.

The rhythm and timing was right on. No hesitations.

Like I said ... very motivational.

Now, here is the test .... LOL ...

Can you come up with another recording of that with a different improv section right now ? LOL ...

I know ... I am asking for a lot. But that is the goal ... Right ?

If not, that is fine. You did a great job on this and it will help me to keep pluggin' away.

Thanks.

#2111523 - 07/02/13 11:32 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think of this as a long-term project. I bought the book about 6 months ago, & haven’t gone past the 12-bar blues in the 1st couple of variations. But I play it for a bit from memory practically every day, sometimes included in practicing scales & transposed into a couple of other keys. So far, the left hand is second nature, but coordinating it with the right hand isn't past a certain very slow speed. So I'll play with that for as long as it takes.

Charles, thanks for mentioning the Smithsonian CD; our local library has it, & I’ve placed a hold. Also, the idea of improvising other simple pieces over the LH sounds promising - I may try out the Soft Kitty Song Blues later today :-) & NICE PLAYING, btw!

#2111547 - 07/02/13 12:08 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: joyoussong]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
I think of this as a long-term project. I bought the book about 6 months ago, & haven’t gone past the 12-bar blues in the 1st couple of variations. But I play it for a bit from memory practically every day, sometimes included in practicing scales & transposed into a couple of other keys. So far, the left hand is second nature, but coordinating it with the right hand isn't past a certain very slow speed. So I'll play with that for as long as it takes.

Charles, thanks for mentioning the Smithsonian CD; our local library has it, & I’ve placed a hold. Also, the idea of improvising other simple pieces over the LH sounds promising - I may try out the Soft Kitty Song Blues later today :-) & NICE PLAYING, btw!

Thanks for chipping in here Carol.

If you feel up to it, I would love to hear something you can do from this book.

I think the more we hear each other progressing, the better.

It all helps to keep us moving along.

#2288969 - 06/12/14 04:31 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: dmd]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

THREAD REVIVAL:

Ok, I am starting in again ... so I thought I would revive this thread.

I have decided to skip the boogie-woogie (Beginner's Boogie) because that technique is very taxing on my wrist and arm. The angle my hand is in to accomplish the technique is somewhat awkward. That style of blues is not really what I wish to do anyway.

So, I am jumping over to page 22: Blue Third Blues. I like that style and I can actually do it. Of course, I haven't worked with the adlib part yet. So, we will see how it goes.

Any suggestions here are welcome.

#2290037 - 06/15/14 10:30 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
EvieLyn Offline

Loc: Northern California
I was inspired by this post so I bought the book. I'm a beginner (again) and played mostly classical. I did learn Satin Doll about 8 years ago--took me about 6 months. I'm learning Fur Elise now but thought I would throw in some Blues.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2290286 - 06/16/14 02:17 AM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

I haven't opened up this book for ages, but now that this thread is revived and there are others taking the plunge, I think I'll get back into it over the summer!

#2302830 - 07/15/14 11:13 PM Re: TIM RICHARDS - Improvising Blues Piano Book 1 [Re: casinitaly]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Still plonking away . . . but with fewer apologies -- some old muscle-memory is coming back . . . and I've learned a lesson about "relaxation", after my right shoulder started to hurt.

"Back in the Alley" -- Cow-Cow Davenport / Tim Richards

https://soundcloud.com/cpcohen1945/back-in-the-alley-1-cow-cow-davenport-tim-richards

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Tips for Reducing Key Noise
by Dwscamel
09/20/14 02:25 PM
DVD recording
by jtattoo
09/20/14 12:45 PM
upgrade from Kawai CN34 to CA65 - how much to pay
by khopin
09/20/14 12:39 PM
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
09/20/14 12:13 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, 36251, 37 invisible), 1462 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157645 Topics
2315569 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission