Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1978684 - 10/25/12 10:25 PM Wife has a headache
woodfab Offline

Loc: Stoneham, MA
I guess I'm very bad at piano playing because every time I play my wife says "please stop, I have a Headache".

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that someone has a Headache every day of they're life.

Dose this happen to you?

Dan Piano Tinkerer

Edited by woodfab (10/26/12 07:26 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1978688 - 10/25/12 10:45 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I'm sure its not your playing. Some people just don't like to listen to someone practicing. Try a digital with earphones on.

#1978690 - 10/25/12 10:50 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Roy Rodgers Offline

Loc: Ranger, Texas
I( don't have to play or practice for my wife to get a head ache. Comes naturally I think.

#1978695 - 10/25/12 11:03 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Maybe it's time a doc tried to find out why.

Edited by Jeff Clef (10/25/12 11:03 PM)

#1978696 - 10/25/12 11:03 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
If she has a headache every day she either

a) should probably get checked out by a medical professional

Or

b) stop telling you about it.

#1978742 - 10/26/12 01:54 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
ventil Offline

Loc: TX
While there very well could be a medical problem, let's say it isn't and her headache is from the piano, but not necessarily a comment on your playing.

Women often have more sensitive hearing than men, especially in the higher frequencies. If your piano and/or your room are bright, room treatment, tuning and maybe even voicing may help.

If a person has a slight hearing loss, as my wife does, loud, percussive or bright sounds can be uncomfortable or even intolerable. In view of this problem, I try to give my wife advance notice of when I plan to practice. She'll usually plan to do something in another part of the house or ocassionally ask me to practice at another time.

Edited by ventil (10/26/12 01:57 AM)

#1978747 - 10/26/12 02:08 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
RealPlayer Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Woodfab, is your piano very bright?

I think Ventil is correct about people's sensitivities. I once auditioned a piano for sale by owner that was extremely mellow and I couldn't get a read on what its normal sound would be. I had a technician brighten a few hammers while the owner was there, and the owner had to leave the room! The sound became too clangorous for him, just average for me.

www.josephkubera.com

#1978753 - 10/26/12 02:55 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: woodfab
I guess I'm very bad a piano playing because every time I play my wife says "please stop, I have a Headache".

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that someone has a Headache every day of they're life.

Dose this happen to you?

Dan Piano Tinkerer

Time to get a new wife! Piano is much more important. laugh

BTW - Does she ever use the 'I have a headache' excuse in 'other' wink wink situations? smirk

Single Malts Forever!

#1978801 - 10/26/12 07:46 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
woodfab Offline

Loc: Stoneham, MA
I grew up with four brothers and a sister playing the piano every day, and quite often till 11:00 PM

I always encourage people to play no matter what level they're at.

My piano is definitely on the bright side.

I'm trying to be more considerate of my wife and come up with a plan to move the piano to another room with doors.

#1978808 - 10/26/12 08:08 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...I'm trying to be more considerate of my wife and come up with a plan to move the piano to another room with doors..."

There you go. A wise man; a happy wife--- and now I feel happy, too.

"...If a person has a slight hearing loss, as my wife does, loud, percussive or bright sounds can be uncomfortable or even intolerable..."

If hyperacusis, as described here, is part of the picture, it's possible to address that as well--- not just to help with headaches, but to conserve your wife's hearing for the rest of her life. A lot of pianists know about this because many of today's instruments as so loud (and it's a noisy world).

Basically, (1) protect the ears from overloud noses (the world is full of them; keeping inexpensive foam earplugs around can help quite a bit), and (2) evaluate any medications that may be aggravating the problem. A surprising amount of common medicines have hearing loss as a side effect. These risks stack up; low incidence becomes much greater if several are taken or if they're taken for a long time.

Lost hearing cannot be gotten back, but hearing loss can be stopped or greatly slowed by protecting the ears.

#1978817 - 10/26/12 08:54 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I'd guess she meant that the piano playing gave her a headache and not that she had a headache beforehand. And I wouldn't take "headache" too literally. I can't imagine I'd like to hear anyone practicing for any length of time, perhaps not even some world class pianist.

There's another thread discussing how people feel about lengthy recitals and some don't like those. Listening to lengthy practicing would seem to be far, far worse.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/26/12 08:57 AM)

#1978843 - 10/26/12 10:40 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What a thread! All I have to say to many of you guys is "oink, oink."

To those who provided serious advice, which presumably is gender-neutral, congratulations on resisting the obvious temptations.

Edited by Rank Piano Amateur (10/26/12 10:42 AM)

#1978957 - 10/26/12 03:43 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Piano playing is often quite nice, at least hopefully, but piano practice .. just about any non-musical, or maybe musical, person listening would get a headache, especially day after day. IMHO

#1979087 - 10/26/12 08:23 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There is a condition that develops into extreme sensitivity to sounds. Seeing a doc will at least eliminate medical concerns.

#1979113 - 10/26/12 09:25 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My piano is in my office at the other end of the house to the bedrooms. It's there so I can play at night and not bother sleeping people. The piano in the living room approach generated complaints.

#1979526 - 10/28/12 03:01 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
allthumbs Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Rank Piano Amateur
What a thread! All I have to say to many of you guys is "oink, oink."

To those who provided serious advice, which presumably is gender-neutral, congratulations on resisting the obvious temptations.

Well everyone can't be serious all the time, it would get real boring. Besides, the obvious temptation just too great and overruled my sense of restraint. smirk

Cheers,

allthumbs

Single Malts Forever!

#1979776 - 10/28/12 06:31 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
OT, but maybe funny, I recently went to a seafood buffet in another town because I traveled there to purchase a car for the business. I told the waiter that I hadn't been there in years, but when I was married, my wife and I used to enjoy eating there. I told him "my wife went away, and I knew, once I got out of prison that I would return." All the diners in earshot perked up a little until I told him that I was joking. All this in Cole Porters birth town, Peru, IN.

#1979922 - 10/29/12 01:15 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
I grew up with 4 brothers/sisters. In a tiny house. The piano was played all the time, the radio was on, the telephone beside the piano was in fairly regular use, my brother would strum a guitar when he couldn't get on the piano, we sang along to the radio or piano - whichever took our fancy at the time, we conversed - sometimes across the room. Most of the time we didn't have a television. The open plan kitchen/dining/living area had hard flooring. But I never noticed that it was noisy. It was normal.

40 years ago, my wife, after the first visit to my home asked me afterwards - "How do you stand it?". "Stand what, dear?". "The noise!!"

I went to her house - the comparison was obvious. Nobody talked unless a pressing reason came up. The piano sat silent (she and I were the only ones who played). Nobody sang to the radio - because it was never turned on.

Experiential background can have a large bearing on how we appreciate or loathe noise.

#1980012 - 10/29/12 09:21 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: thetandyman]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Peru, IN, home of Cole Porter! Been there lots of times.

#1980018 - 10/29/12 09:30 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
kwoli Offline

Loc: New England
I agree that practice is sometimes hard to listen to, so even though my husband says he doesn't mind, I try to do repetitive practice or metronome work when he's not around. For folks who can only practice in the evening when everyone is home, of course, that doesn't really help. At night, I often practice with the una corda pedal on and try to keep things soft. My family seems to be able to sleep through that.

Do you keep the lid down? Maybe also consider putting a heavy quilt or two over the piano to soften the sound?

Finally, if your wife is willing to experiment, maybe think about buying her a nice little ipod with ear buds. She can listen to what she wants (soothing music, audio books, etc.), and it will block (somewhat) the sound of your playing. Works like a charm with my husband's snoring at night, as well as the TV playing too loud...

#1980221 - 10/29/12 06:45 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France
Frankly, I think you need to give her a firm but gender neutral straight left to the schnoz (taking care not to damage your finely boned but superbly artistic hands)Then tell her to get on with the dinner.

#1980230 - 10/29/12 07:03 PM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: Jean Claude]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: Jean Claude
Frankly, I think you need to give her a firm but gender neutral straight left to the schnoz (taking care not to damage your finely boned but superbly artistic hands)Then tell her to get on with the dinner.

I like that approach!

That is precisely what I would do with my wife.

Then, six months later - once I was out of traction - I could wheel my wheelchair into the living room and stare at the piano longingly while remembering fondly those days gone by...

#1980481 - 10/30/12 10:43 AM Re: Wife has a headache [Re: woodfab]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You could look into "Silent Piano". They work great!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (AmateurBob, A Guy, 29 invisible), 1330 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156113 Topics
2292524 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
42 minutes 40 seconds ago
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission