Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1977936 - 10/24/12 09:41 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Wow, what a wonderful looking piano - a beautiful sixfooter!

I got me a new baby piano 5 footer and I love it to pieces. Prior to that I had and still have a klavinova(sp?) which is cool, too. But I sure love playing the piano.

Having never had a baby - so I didn't know what to do about keeping the top/lid open and open how much and how often and what about the dust? The only babies I see are on you tube videos and most of those seem to be half taken apart I guess to get the sound out for recording.

I am just a beginner so keeping the lid closed isn't a problem because I am only in book 2 of how to play the piano - when I get to the classics - six books later, I will consider opening it up. It is not a problem because I live in a shack on a highway running through the city so I only hear huge dump trucks and diesel stretch buses going by shaking the windows.

When I got the piano it came with a beautiful red cloth piano cover so I cover it all time except the keys lid, of course.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me feedback on opening the piano and handling the dust. I always wash my hands before I touch the piano. I have only had the piano 3 months.

Thanks.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1977973 - 10/24/12 11:32 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
Michael, that would be a good question for your piano technician. Mine suggested maintenance for the sound board and I bought the "kit" recommended which is a soft cloth and a metal piece for weaving the cloth along the soundboard beneath the strings. I plan to do that cleaning twice a year, just prior to the tech's visit.

I keep mine open on the low setting (probably not what it's really called).

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1978995 - 10/26/12 04:43 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
As you age, your hands excrete less natural skin oil, kids would excreted more oil because they are young and fit. I always wash my hands before I touch the piano and I noticed on my keyboard the other day that it seemed like the keys had a grease or oil so I should probably wash before I use the keyboard, too. I think the fingerprints are lifted partly by the oils left on the hands.

#1979451 - 10/27/12 08:47 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...She really enjoyed it (although I think she was shocked that we chose to move our TV out of the living room, and put in a huge piano instead..."

Many people would rather be cut to pieces with a dull knife, than to remove a television. But it is my opinion that there is no place for both instruments in a single room. You are a girl after my own heart.

#1979511 - 10/28/12 01:10 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Amy B Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
We moved the TV upstairs two weeks ago, and haven't even turned it on since then! And, I have a twelve year old and eight year old. Not much of a TV family :-)
I love that the grand piano is the first thing you see when you walk in our house, and not a big TV!

#1979812 - 10/28/12 07:42 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
ilikemozart Offline

Loc: USA
When I was looking for a piano teacher for myself, the first question I asked was what kind of piano they taught on. I had to make sure that it was a decent grand, since this is what I have at home.

When I was a child, I had a teacher that taught on a Steinway grand, and it was only at this time did I become serious about learning to play the piano. And, I progressed quite well, compared to previous teachers that taught on an old upright.

So, in my opinion, it is important for the student, young or an adult to learn on a decent grand piano.

Maybe in time, your Kawai will be like a new car...you will relax with it and not be real upset when it gets its first smudge.

#1980038 - 10/29/12 10:53 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: ilikemozart]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Oddly enough, most quality uprights, well maintained, can respond more subtly than most students and teachers can play. If you insist that a teacher use a grand for teaching, I can point you to some which would be better used for firewood than piano lessons. And you will probably bypass many outstanding teachers in doing so.

#1980117 - 10/29/12 02:36 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Amy B Offline

I fully agree, John. That's why I ended up going with a higher end Shigeru Kawai. Many of the grands I played, especially if they were less than 6', weren't all that much better than my upright. I really wanted to find something in a lower price range that would be a huge step above my upright, but couldn't.

#1980249 - 10/29/12 07:43 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
How about........once the stu has mastered a piece, you then let him give it a shot on the grand? Reward?

#1980363 - 10/30/12 12:21 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: riley80]
Amy B Offline

Riley80.....that is my plan. We had a Halloween recital today, and I let them play their songs on the grand. The upright is for teaching/learning. Once it's polished, they get a go on the new piano. Seems to be working out just fine.

#1980631 - 10/30/12 05:14 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wrote off my grand fully to my business, so of course I let my students play on it at every lesson.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1981718 - 11/02/12 11:38 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
It sounds like you have made a workable decision for now. Perhaps you will find more and more than even you prefer to hear your students playing on your fine Shigura, though. The upright will lose its appeal quickly.

#1981742 - 11/02/12 12:15 PM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Stanny]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Stanny
I wrote off my grand fully to my business, so of course I let my students play on it at every lesson.

I understand what you're saying, but the logic doesn't follow. I write off my phone, my desk, my computer, my studio filing cabinet, etc., but students never, ever touch these items. Likewise, a colleague has a harpsichord, and students seldom if ever get to play on it, but it's totally written off as a business expense. Ditto my violin (I used to teach beginning strings, years and years ago). There are many reasons for a teacher to have a special instrument which is not used or routinely used by students, and we don't have to justify this policy to students.

#1982913 - 11/05/12 08:49 AM Re: Letting students play on new grand piano? [Re: Amy B]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Hi guys, it's been a while! Been busy performing and opening a studio with a fellow voice teacher.

Back OT, when I taught lessons from my home this past year after moving, I used my 9'2 Petrof. Most of my students are beginners, and it was a real treat for them to try it out. I didn't have any issues with them damaging the instrument at all. In the past, I've taught from a G3 Yamaha, also with no damage issues except for a key that split and I really do not know how it happened since the glue was not "unstuck". I personally think that students can be inspired by playing on a great instrument, even if they can't get out of it great sounds. It's just a treat to them. Of course, if I had a choice like the OP, I would only allow students to use it once in a while, and only those I trusted (and even then, I would let them know what the piano cost me and that if they happened to damage it, they'd have to pay to repair it :P).

As for those saying that it's not a tax write-off if students dont' play it, that isn't necessarily correct. Where do you draw the line between what a teacher plays for her own enjoyment and what she plays for her continued education so that she can be a better teacher? You cannot, and therefore, it is tax-deductible regardless if students use it or not.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (alfstan, Abby Pianoman, 28 invisible), 1399 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156175 Topics
2293478 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
27 minutes 54 seconds ago
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
35 minutes 10 seconds ago
Summer Camp
by myip
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Interview with Arnaldo Cohen
by vlhorowitz
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Interview with Arnaldo Cohen
by vlhorowitz
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission