Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1978913 - 10/26/12 01:37 PM Beginning teaching - tips, suggestions?
bellamusica Offline

Hi everyone!

I have recently graduated with my masters, gotten married, and moved to a new city (exciting times)! People in the city (well-established but still fairly small) are finding out that my husband and I are both classically trained pianists, and we've had a lot of folks ask us if we teach piano. My main interest is performing (I like playing gigs, accompanying for people's lessons and recitals, etc.) but I have always assumed I would start teaching as well at some point.

I have a grand piano, but right now we are in an apartment where we can only have an electric keyboard, so my grand is staying at my parents' house some 70 miles away. frown So if I were to teach, I would either need to travel to the student's house (assuming they have a piano...) or look into a music store in town which offers studio rental space for teachers. Our apartment lease runs out in about 5 months, at which point we are hoping to rent a small house where we can have the grand.

My other concern is that, while I have a bachelor's and master's degree, they are in performance, not teaching. I really don't have tons of experience with teaching although I have done a little bit here and there. I guess I'm not really sure where to start! I know I need to come up with a contract, studio policies, rates, etc. If I'm going to start teaching I want to do it in a professional and business-like manner, which is why I was hoping to put it off until we are able to have my grand and we can have a real studio set up in our home.

So my questions are, 1) what sort of things do you include in your contracts? (Cancellation/sick day policies, method/time of payment, rates, up-front costs such as method books, practice expectations, anything else?) and 2) would you advise for me to wait until we have our grand piano, or should I try and start these students as soon as possible?

Any other information, advice, or suggestions are welcome, too! smile

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1978988 - 10/26/12 04:34 PM Re: Beginning teaching - tips, suggestions? [Re: bellamusica]
IPlayPiano Offline

Hi, Bella. I am just like you (minus the master's degree). I recently graduated with a BA in music performance and while I love to gig and perform I have found myself swamped in a studio of 30 students.

For the business side of things I use a program called www.musicteachershelper.com and it is amazing. It takes care of all the financial/scheduling/repertoire/billing/accounting side of things. I could not run my studio the same without it! It's 29.95 a month and is WELL worth it. For a studio policy, I simply googled other teachers and read their policies. I have learned to lean on the side of caution and protect yourself (the teacher) before "being nice" and cutting breaks for students. I am talking about things like refunds, make-ups, etc.

As far as the actual teaching part goes, maybe it's just me, but I actually found that teaching piano is not as "common sense" as I had assumed it was. I had never taken a piano pedagogy class before and really didn't know what I was getting into. MinnieMay (a user on this forum) recommended a book to me called The Piano Teacher's legacy which is a FABULOUS collection of pedagogy materials that has revolutionized my teaching and my studio. I am finding I have better success with my students and I am enjoying teaching a lot more this year than I did last year as a result of this book. Good luck!

#1979002 - 10/26/12 04:57 PM Re: Beginning teaching - tips, suggestions? [Re: bellamusica]
Brinestone Offline

Quote:
As far as the actual teaching part goes, maybe it's just me, but I actually found that teaching piano is not as "common sense" as I had assumed it was. I had never taken a piano pedagogy class before and really didn't know what I was getting into. MinnieMay (a user on this forum) recommended a book to me called The Piano Teacher's legacy which is a FABULOUS collection of pedagogy materials that has revolutionized my teaching and my studio. I am finding I have better success with my students and I am enjoying teaching a lot more this year than I did last year as a result of this book. Good luck!

AMEN! I am now in my fifth year of teaching, and when I look back to my first year, I cringe at some of the things I did wrong. I am grateful to the students who were willing to stick with me during my learning curve. I also wonder which things I do now that I will cringe at in four more years. It's hard work, and it takes a love of children and teens as much as a love of piano to do well. I'm lucky that I actually had a degree in teaching, just not particular to piano.

I will check out The Piano Teacher's Legacy. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by Brinestone (10/26/12 04:57 PM)

#1979027 - 10/26/12 05:39 PM Re: Beginning teaching - tips, suggestions? [Re: bellamusica]
bellamusica Offline

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely look into that software - it sounds like it could really help out a lot.

I took a few pedagogy classes during my undergrad but they were mostly focused on intermediate students. I'm still a little overwhelmed at the thought of teaching someone from the very start! I'm planning on going to the local music store today to browse through some of the various method books and get an idea of what's out there. smile

#1979039 - 10/26/12 06:05 PM Re: Beginning teaching - tips, suggestions? [Re: bellamusica]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
You can read method evaluations online, too. Check out piano teachers' resource pages (a google search on piano method reviews will yield you some info).

I would start by accepting intermediate students and work from there. Beginners are the most difficult students for an inexperienced teacher. Do some pedagogy reading and find a couple of local teachers that would let you observe their lessons with beginners. You might find a really helpful mentor that way.

I also highly recommend joining the local music teachers association. You will find a treasure trove of advice and help there.

And do order the Piano Teacher's Legacy. I reread it every once in a while to remind myself of what's really important. There's also an excellent book called "Questions and Answers" by Frances Clark you might find helpful.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, 36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, *windowlicker*, 42 invisible), 1329 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156818 Topics
2304223 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
08/20/14 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
08/20/14 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
08/20/14 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
08/20/14 04:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission