2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Board is great- I enjoy it. Just seems a few keys are not spaced evenly. Should I do a return or is this common? Do i need to be concerned they would ship? Kudos though to Casio because it shipped with tape across the base of the white keys to make sure they did not move:

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's a visual concern for sure.

If it concerns you, contact the store and follow through on this.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
What do you mean by not spaced evenly ? My ES7 keys are not all spaced exactly evenly (my Mp6 key were almost too perfectly even). Doesn't really bother me. Question is how much space there is. If it's just a little and doesn't hurt your playing, why bother if the rest of the instrument is fine. Just enjoy the DP. Also keep in mind it's not an $ 3000 product, so just a little bit of spacing , provided it doesn't hurt playing, is not something I would worry about. Just my thought...J

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Defective. There's no excuse for poor quality.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are certainly degrees of unevenness. Rubbing against a neighbor is one extreme and obviously wrong. A subtle visual difference on 3-6 gaps over the whole keyboard may ultimately be nothing. On every octave, problem.

Unlevel keys would be a problem.

If it does not affect feel or behave as if loose, then I would check again in a few weeks/months to see if it has does develop into something...you have warranty.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
My ca95 has lots of uneven gaps.... aslong as none of the keys rub its a non issue.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for your replies, 4-5 keys to the right it seems the closest but no rubbing. I'll see how it goes the next week or so.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Send us a picture; tells more than a thousand ....

Again, my DP has a little unevenness , but it has no nfluence on playing whatsoever. Many acoustic pianos I've seen are also not perfect in key spacing. There is a limit to what is 'normal' , but I wouldn't immediately define this as a defect. See how it works out for you. My idea is that if it doesn't pose a mechanical or perceptible problem while playing I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy the instrument.

j

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Out of curiousity - is there a way for me to post the pictures here?- then i could show and share what i see.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Use this link to post pictures: POST PICTURES

You'll need to provide an email address. You'll receive an email with the link to your posted picture.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

Hello, is the first one: I will send 3 more- I just want to see if people have similar ones

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Possum
My Casio has a few keys with gaps similar to yours. I've never had any trouble with the keys other than noise (clacking). I have a heavy touch and wore out the original felt. Casio doesn't sell replacement felt or rubber strips for their keybeds. I bought felt from a piano supply made from woven wool which is more durable and improvised with foam strips to replace the rubber.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I understand it isn't as pretty, but by itself, I don't think it is a symptom of anything. The picture of the first gap is obvious, but the others fall in the realm of nitpicky, IMO.

I'm not telling you to be unhappy, but I wouldn't swap it unless it gets worse. I would wait a few weeks - at least - to see if it changes or affects anything else.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Possum P105
[Linked Image]

Hello, is the first one: I will send 3 more- I just want to see if people have similar ones

As for that "F" key above, I wouldn't worry at all about the space you see to the right side of the key, however, I would be more concerned in observing what that key does with it's neighbor to the left, or, the "E" key.

If it is not touching or creating any friction with key it is closest to, then (as Sam points out above) it looks like you're okay. If any key starts to rub another key that it is closest to, that's what I would look for.

M
M
Go to the store and see if the display models have those gaps. If they haven't, there's no reason not to swap it if you're that demanding, provided you are brave enough to point out them to the dealer.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I see what you mean, I have similar unevenness repeatedly over the octaves (space differences between certain keys are the same in all octaves, so I figured it is jus the way it is build). If they don't touch each other , are not extremely loose or don't give you any problems with playing, I wouldn't bother too much. Swapping the PX and you might end up with a unit that has something else that may be wrong. IMHO buying any product , be it computer, DP, receiver, TV or whatever has become some kind of lottery anyway these days. Speaking out of experience: did so many swaps the last three years and every time there's something else not quite right.

Everything was better in the old days, ...sigh ;-)

Bottom line, if it doesn't spoil the fun, other than not being 100% perfect to look at, don't exchange! If its posing mechanical problems etc, contact the dealer.

J

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JFP
I see what you mean, I have similar unevenness repeatedly over the octaves (space differences between certain keys are the same in all octaves, so I figured it is jus the way it is build). If they don't touch each other , are not extremely loose or don't give you any problems with playing, I wouldn't bother too much. Swapping the PX and you might end up with a unit that has something else that may be wrong. IMHO buying any product , be it computer, DP, receiver, TV or whatever has become some kind of lottery anyway these days. Speaking out of experience: did so many swaps the last three years and every time there's something else not quite right.

Everything was better in the old days, ...sigh ;-)

Bottom line, if it doesn't spoil the fun, other than not being 100% perfect to look at, don't exchange! If its posing mechanical problems etc, contact the dealer.

J

I hear you about it being a lottery! Given that I had the broken key on the P105 and they sent a new one right away, part of me wouldn't want to chance getting a unit that could have a greater percentage chance of a defect.
It was actually in the back of my mind when selling the P95, "What am I doing selling this perfectly functional board?"
My plan would be just to sit tight unless I see any problems in the 30-40 day range

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission