Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1980835 - 10/31/12 07:50 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Years ago when I bought a new drill press I checked the runout and wasn't satisfied with the little swirl the drill point was making. I showed it to a neighbor who was a machinist with the comment that I was thinking about returning the heavy thing. He offered to clean the morse taper and that solved the problem, but it wasn't just a wipe and swipe cleaning. He cleaned the seat and the taper repeatedly with alternating applications of lighter fluid and light oil ending with oil that he wiped off completely. He said the the factory workers had filings on their hands and gloves and that they hardly ever got the tapers really clean.
-----

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1980849 - 10/31/12 08:47 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
David the problem of contaminated taper seats in machinery is one that is carefully avoided in better manufacturing companies. When I worked for Magna for example, no air hoses were allowed near the spindle for cleaning or during a tool change operation. Softer metal chips like brass/bronze/aluminum/CRS have a tendency to stick to the harder shanks and tapers when driven against each other.

Too many folks don't fully understand the cost involved in making super high quality tools, even things like simple drill bits. My complete letter/number drill bit set manufactured by Sheffield cost over $500 20 years ago. The same assortment of bits can also be bought for $49 from china, or for any cost in between by other manufacturers. My bits were used every day for numerous years, drilling alloy steels and materials much tougher than wood and they still work like the day i got them, provided that they are sharpened correctly when needed. If one needs to purchase a new bit after drilling one or even a dozen pin blocks, you have an inferior tool to begin with.

#1980901 - 10/31/12 11:47 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Gene Nelson]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Gene Nelson
Going for a new block I would recommend the hybrid, designed by Ron Nossaman. A custom 9mm Dilignit cap (not bridge capping or pin block material) on a standard multi-lam block.
Gene, what is the difference between Delignit pin block and bridge cap material and the pin block capping stock? Does it have a specific name?

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1980921 - 10/31/12 12:56 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Jurgen, it appears that there may be more laminations than the bridge capping material, I count 7 on this 9mm cap but I do not have any other Dilignit material here to compare.
If memory serves, Ron has specified what he wants and Dilignit makes it for him, so there may be more to it than just laminations.

David: Now if only the tuning pin manufacturers would true up their tooling the way that you do we would not be forced to deal with tuning pins that vary in diameter by several thousandths or that are oblong.

#1980933 - 10/31/12 01:17 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Gene Nelson]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...If memory serves, Ron has specified what he wants and Dilignit makes it for him, so there may be more to it than just laminations.
Speaking from a bit of experience, I can't see one person being able to order enough to come anywhere near a minimum factory order. They usually ask if you want a twenty foot or a forty foot container full. wink The material must be available somewhere.

#1980957 - 10/31/12 02:09 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Gene Nelson]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Now if only the tuning pin manufacturers would true up their tooling the way that you do we would not be forced to deal with tuning pins that vary in diameter by several thousandths or that are oblong.

I have found that Diamond or Bienne pins have less of this symptom. One of those brands used to be Fly Brand but I can’t recall which one.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1980961 - 10/31/12 02:16 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have heard that the Japanese tuning pin manufacturing has been sub-contracted to India. Anyone know anything about this?

#1980984 - 10/31/12 03:14 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jurgen, the only pins I know of with the Japanese-Indian connection is the Nippon Denro which is presently owned and run by Ispat Industries. I believe Hitachi originally set them up with the steel rolling process and another large Japanese firm collaberated but that was over 20 years ago. I still see numerous suppliers of the Nippon Denro pins in the U.S. state in their advertising "Manufactured in Japan". although the pin quality is decent (ie. not great). I highly doubt the Indians are subcontracting out to Japan for something like this. I've used them for years in anything but a really high quality piano.

#1980986 - 10/31/12 03:21 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

I always felt that Denro pins had too much twist.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1980993 - 10/31/12 03:37 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Jurgen, I trust your experinece and I trust Ron, however I do not know much about Ron's business.
For what it is worth, I measured the laminations on Dilignit block material at 8 in 9mm and Ron's capping material at 7 in 9mm.
Maybe somebody out there has some Dilignit bridge capping material that they can measure?

#1981091 - 10/31/12 07:59 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Emmery]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Emmery
David the problem of contaminated taper seats in machinery is one that is carefully avoided in better manufacturing companies. When I worked for Magna for example, no air hoses were allowed near the spindle for cleaning or during a tool change operation. Softer metal chips like brass/bronze/aluminum/CRS have a tendency to stick to the harder shanks and tapers when driven against each other.

Too many folks don't fully understand the cost involved in making super high quality tools, even things like simple drill bits. My complete letter/number drill bit set manufactured by Sheffield cost over $500 20 years ago. The same assortment of bits can also be bought for $49 from china, or for any cost in between by other manufacturers. My bits were used every day for numerous years, drilling alloy steels and materials much tougher than wood and they still work like the day i got them, provided that they are sharpened correctly when needed. If one needs to purchase a new bit after drilling one or even a dozen pin blocks, you have an inferior tool to begin with.
The drill press came from Taiwan as I recall, and the neighbor said about the same thing you did. Ya gets what ya pays fur!
-----

#1981179 - 11/01/12 12:19 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

I always felt that Denro pins had too much twist.

Never noticed this myself, but I haven't put them up side to side beside some better pins to make a better call on that. I replaced 4 pins on a 5 year old chinese import piano a while back and the wire I took off them had left shallow groove on the surface at the bottom of the coil and a small notch in the edge of the becket hole. Don't usually see this even on the old N.A. upright tuning pins I pull that are 10 times older.

#1981183 - 11/01/12 12:50 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Total fluke. Must have only been four bad pins. laugh

#1981193 - 11/01/12 01:43 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I'm not a fan of Denro pins.
Diamond pins are far superior.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1981195 - 11/01/12 01:48 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Rod Verhnjak
I'm not a fan of Denro pins.
Diamond pins are far superior.

I agree.
thumb

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (aesop, AndrewJCW, 16 invisible), 1137 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305123 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase – a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission