2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, at having a vendor booth at a bridal show?
It seems like that's an obvious place to advertise, and I'm constantly getting e-mails inviting me to be a vendor at one of them ... but the cost is so high that I'm not sure if it's worth it. The average cost for one show seems to be around $850. I'd have to play for about three weddings to recoup the cost, not to mention the five or so hours spent.

What has been your experience? Would you recommend it?

And, since I'm asking ... what has been your most successful way to get wedding jobs?

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i would go thru the event planner.. She or He would want to be 'in charge' anyway. you'll have a great opportunity there to meet prospective links.. they need you!

I get jobs at churches i already play at.. it's kind of a close mouthed community, protective, etc.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Just remember, the primary function of a bridal show is to make money for the people promoting it. You may do just as well through personal contacts.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by apple*
i would go thru the event planner.. She or He would want to be 'in charge' anyway. you'll have a great opportunity there to meet prospective links.. they need you!

Hmm ... what do you mean, exactly? When I've contacted the planners, they just tell me they'd love for me to sign up, and tell me how much it costs.
Do you think I should go ahead and do it?
Thanks!

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There was a show here, and I asked the organizer if I could go in an take a look so that I could decide whether I wanted to participate next year.

"No way," she said. I would have to pay the admission price just to check it out.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Don't do it. Ditto on what everyone else has said here.

If you have a CD or a decent recording of yourself playing something wedding-ish, then consider posting a YouTube video with a title that says something like "Perfect Wedding Music in Cleveland" (or wherever you happen to live). My wedding business increased three-fold this past year after I posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8kuejhiBfA

People do use the Internet to search for everything—so this will pay off for you, assuming your recording is good.

Here is another slideshow, this one put together by a photographer who asked for permission to use my music. He did all the work, but I get a lot of business from it, because he shows the slideshow to his potential clients, some of whom contact me. Perfect.

http://www.pure-wedding.de/Kunden/lindaclaus/

Anyway, if you have a decent program on your computer to put one of these YouTube things together, you can pretty much do it for free. If not, you can hire someone to do it for you—find a teenager to work for ten bucks an hour. Much cheaper than the bridal show, and you'll see better results.

I also have very pretty business cards that I leave in strategic places. You might send some of them to the banquet directors at fancy places, along with a nice note and a CD if you have one. You also should have a website. Pain in the neck, but it's really critical in this day and age, and you can do something simple for very little money, and the results will be long lasting, as opposed to a one-shot bridal show.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG
Don't do it. Ditto on what everyone else has said here.

If you have a CD or a decent recording of yourself playing something wedding-ish, then consider posting a YouTube video with a title that says something like "Perfect Wedding Music in Cleveland" (or wherever you happen to live). My wedding business increased three-fold this past year after I posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8kuejhiBfA

People do use the Internet to search for everything—so this will pay off for you, assuming your recording is good.

Here is another slideshow, this one put together by a photographer who asked for permission to use my music. He did all the work, but I get a lot of business from it, because he shows the slideshow to his potential clients, some of whom contact me. Perfect.

http://www.pure-wedding.de/Kunden/lindaclaus/

Anyway, if you have a decent program on your computer to put one of these YouTube things together, you can pretty much do it for free. If not, you can hire someone to do it for you—find a teenager to work for ten bucks an hour. Much cheaper than the bridal show, and you'll see better results.

I also have very pretty business cards that I leave in strategic places. You might send some of them to the banquet directors at fancy places, along with a nice note and a CD if you have one. You also should have a website. Pain in the neck, but it's really critical in this day and age, and you can do something simple for very little money, and the results will be long lasting, as opposed to a one-shot bridal show.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Robin, thank you so much!You are always such a huge help and inspiration.

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
R
OP Offline
R
Several months later ... i just asked my 12 year old daughter to create this. Thanks again, Robin!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYsNsB0ULY

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
That is way cool! It's been fun keeping up with your professional journey here on PW - you've really made a great effort to make your business/piano a success. Congratulations.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks so much! smile

Jennifer McCoy Blaske
Pianist and Author
www.PianoJenny.com

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
That's a wonderful YouTube video! The photos do a great job of setting the mood. I really like that arrangement of the Pachelbel you were playing, too. I hope it generates lots of business for you. smile

p.s. You should probably ask your daughter to correct the spelling of "Canon" at the end. wink

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
This is just GREAT!!! Hats off to you and your daughter. I'm sure the financial investment was minimal (most 12 year olds work cheaply!) and I think you will get good results from this. Much much better than one of those stupid bridal shows. Next step: Website and elegant business cards. Or have you already accomplished that?

GO GO GO!!!!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Redhead, for your YouTube video, there's a mistake in the link to your web page! Where it should say .com, instead of the dot it's a comma, but you can't tell because if the underline for the link. I was able to get to your webpage (great job BTW!) by manually fixing the link, but you should able to fix the link yourself.

Fix that and you are good to go! Great job! And good luck adding clients!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission