2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 425 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And then I told my husband about the ceramic noses, and asked if we ought to immortalize his own heroically-proportioned schnoz this way. "It would probably make a lot of $$$$," he replied. "If it was done up to snuff."

Definitely time to leave the computer and go practice....

Elene

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Your good luck ceremony sounds a lot like the one with which maried women who want children do: They go to the Shiva temples, make an offering, say a prayer, and rub the lingam with kun kum.

Reading a book takes so long that you can listen to the works you've been reading about. Having taken a break from music books, I can still listen to Chopin... while I read Agatha Christie stories, and also shop the better renderings... and even get a couple or three of scores that I will be lucky to be able to play a fraction of.

I wonder if I'll get up a repertory of strange and peculiar songs that I will be able to play only parts of.

Clef

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Cleff: I can never do anything else but listen to Chopin's music. It demands my full attention, and I give it gladly.

As far as what critics have said about Chopin's music, I totally agree with Jeff. I listen with my ears and my heart, and no expert can tell me what is lovely or beautiful or worthwhile, etc. And what is so great about his music is that every time I listen to it, I discover something new.

I hope Ohlsson comes to your area.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

I listen with my ears and my heart
Kathleen

Exactly the way He wrote.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LA, I just voted for you.

When I was a teenager and was writing a great deal, I had to have a recording of the nocturnes playing in order to settle down to work. Now I seem to need either quiet or something more like white noise.

Elene

C
C
Originally Posted by Elene
LA, I just voted for you.

Elene

Silly question, but how did you vote, because it said you can't until November 24th, or am I mistaken? I really want to vote and support our house competitor.

Excellent performance by the way.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Gosh, were we we suppose to vote? I will have to go back on again and vote...twice. After all, I am from Chicago. laugh

I have been working on my course for the class I am (hopefully) teaching in Feb. Good grief, I have forgotten so much as to how to use Audacity and how to create a slide show, etc. I want to present some visuals and a bit of Chopin's history, for one has to know some of his life and some of the people in it in order to appreciate his music. However, the more I think of it, this might not necessarily be so. I intend to devote most of the class to his music...it will REIGN SUPREME!! thumb

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 11/09/09 04:18 PM.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I voted for you, LA. But just once, darn!!

Oh, one more thing. My sister and I are going to see Hershey Felder perform his Beethoven this Sunday at the Drury Lane Theater in Chicago. I am so excited. We were also going to see Chopin in December, but he canceled all of poor Frederick. I think to make more room for Ludwig. Just a guess.

Kathleen

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopin4life
Silly question, but how did you vote, because it said you can't until November 24th, or am I mistaken?

You sign up here to receive a voting ballot.
http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=guestbook
Votes are being accepted between now and November 24th.

Thank you all for the support!!! laugh

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
We all will be rooting for you! heart You are so very deserving and, of course, extremely talented.

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Just a bump. laugh

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My order was canceled for the book on Chopin's ornamentation. It's probably just as well; right after I ordered it, it occurred to me that I had access to the same sources as that author, thanks to all the scholars involved, and so I didn't really need it.

Elene

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sorry for even a stupider question smile but which contestant are you? (i.e. LA)

I'm in the youtube contest as well, so I'm not going to vote for you smile but I'd love to know who you are......

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Oh dang, Elene, I was seriously considering getting the book on ornamentation and looked forward to a review from you. frown

On that topic of Chopin's earlier works, I'm a big fan of the Op. 4 Sonata (and have written about it on numerous occasions here and in the Pianist Corner). I love it from start to finish with none of the ambivalence I feel toward parts of Op. 35 and Op. 58.

Elene, the structural issues that have been cited (at least with respect to the opening Allegro maestoso) include (1) lack of contrasting key signatures in the exposition, where both the primary and secondary themes are presented in c minor, (2) an "incorrect" (or at least thoroughly unorthodox) choice for the key of the recapitulation, which is in b-flat minor, and (3) the repetitiveness of phrases that are four bars long, which is said to impart a feeling of "squareness" and monotony.

Jeff, there's something you might possibly be able to shed light on. James Huneker made a curious statement about Op. 4: "[I]t was praised by the critics because not so revolutionary as the Variations, Op. 2." His words imply that the works were published (and thus reviewed) contemporaneously, but Op. 4 wasn't published until 1851!

Steven

Really!!! I always thought that having an opus number meant the work was being published, which of course for Op. 4 would have meant that it came out in the 1820's.
Interesting factoid!

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Welcome, Mark.

Your comment raises another question of interest. At the height of his career, Chopin would have had legions of fans to whom it was obvious that Op. 4 was missing from his corpus of work. Was there public awareness that it represented a large-scale work that Chopin had chosen to withdraw? Was there great curiosity surrounding it and "buzz" when it was finally published a year and a half after his death? Was its reception as cruel as the treatment it's received since then?

There's a nice live performance of Sofya Gulyak playing Op. 4 in its entirety on YouTube. Here's the first movement:

Steven

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For what it's worth here's what Wiki has to say about young Fred's "homework" for Elsner. It doesn't enlighten any about the publication history though.
Wiki Chopin op 4

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Yes -- I'm listening to that video up there as we speak. smile
It was just the other day that I realized for the first time that this sonata can be worthwhile, and in fact, in the right hands it's VERY worthwhile.
I came across a performance on youtube that wasn't even labeled with the pianist -- turned out it was Idil Biret (I think). Her performance was superb too.
BTW we're sort of neighbors (sort of) smile -- I'm down the road in Larchmont.

P.S. That's a great point, to wonder if there was curiosity in that time about the OMISSION of the opus number.
I think there had to be, and if someone wanted to spend some hours or months searching through archives (or attics), I bet they'd find something on it. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mark - hope to see you as a regular in this thread too since I know you also play much Chopin music. smile

Page 265 of 425 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission