2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1980059 10/29/12 12:17 PM
Emmery Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Any of you preparing for this monstrous hurricane bearing down on the east coast? Our emergency broadcasts here in Canada are telling us to prepare for 72 hours of power outage, 90 km/h winds and huge rainfall coming our way. Busy day today battening everything down, clearing drains and spouts, buying supplies, charging batteries and getting the generator prepped.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Yep you are going to get hit hard there. We never get the hurricanes out this way; all we ever get is some lousy 7.8 earthquake that I slept through.

Originally Posted by Emmery
Any of you preparing for this monstrous hurricane bearing down on the east coast? Our emergency broadcasts here in Canada are telling us to prepare for 72 hours of power outage, 90 km/h winds and huge rainfall coming our way. Busy day today battening everything down, clearing drains and spouts, buying supplies, charging batteries and getting the generator prepped.

They say we are going to have between 7-10 days of outages here in the tri-state area frown

Doing fine so far, but bracing for the storm...

Everyone out there on the East Coast, stay safe!

tommytones
Mus. B., Classical Piano Performance
Kawai No. 600
Roland Digital Piano Model No. HP 147
Wurlitzer Electronic Piano Model No. 200A
Hammond M-3
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Where I am in western PA, we're being warned of sustained high winds, power outages, and flooding. Pretty nasty here right now, but manageable so far.

Be safe, everyone!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Drove the truck to work today, in case of water on the road or having to take a detour. Will pick up a few things on the way home, like a 220v plug for a $100, 4000W generator that I picked up a few months ago. I am not worried in the slightest.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
I'm worried, and for good reason. I'm not in a flood zone but the wind gusts are scary already, they're closing all the tunnels and mass transit is shut down. The bridges may likely follow suit. The storm surges are going to be at record levels, and unfortunately very problematic for NYC...

But we prepared well, and could go for many days if need be.

PW is a nice diversion...

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
B
B
I am watching the news from the East Coast on our TV, and I am truly worried about the hurricane. I wish you all to pass it without damage and other troubles. Keep safe. Wish you all the best in the next hours.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
This is a 60ft crane collapsing 80 stories up, on 57th St in Manhattan. I sure hope the space is clear below when it lands.

[Linked Image]

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
I'm in south jersey, 45 miles west of Atlantic City and this is something we never get. So far not real bad here, but the shore is getting pounded. Part of the boardwalk in Atlantic City is gone, and in many parts of the shore the ocean and bay have met, completely flooding towns. The worst will be tonight into Tuesday morning, 8-10 inches of rain, winds around 70 MPH. We're sure we will lose power before this is over.

Last edited by wcctuner; 10/29/12 05:00 PM.

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
Originally Posted by Bojan Babic
I am watching the news from the East Coast on our TV, and I am truly worried about the hurricane. I wish you all to pass it without damage and other troubles. Keep safe. Wish you all the best in the next hours.

Thanks Bojan, I appreciate your concern.

www.jamescarney.net
Originally Posted by OperaTenor
This is a 60ft crane collapsing 80 stories up, on 57th St in Manhattan. I sure hope the space is clear below when it lands.

[Linked Image]

I walk by this construction site all the time - it is one block south of "piano row."

A huge 100 year-old tree approx. 50 ft. high just snapped low on its trunk directly across the street from us. I've certainly never experienced wind like this...Just hoping we'll have electricity throughout the event.

www.jamescarney.net
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Stay safe everyone, and keep us posted when you can.

My sister lives near the water in Swampscott, MA -(just north of Boston), surf is pounding and the wind is increasing, but they still had power as of 5:00 p.m.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
While we don't expect to have any affects from the hurricane here in Missouri, please know that those of you in the path are in my thoughts and prayers.

We had an ice storm here in my part of the state a few years ago and was without power for over a week in sub freezing weather. Not fun! Especially when you live out in the country and have a well that requires electricity to pump water. I have an appreciation for electricity and will never take it for granted.

May God be with you all! Stay safe.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
The governor of NJ told residents of the city to get off the island and onto the mainland. The mayor of AC said no, we'll open shelters in the city and people can stay. Now home and shelters on the island are flooding and people need to be rescued. Unbelievable!!

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
D
D
West Virginia is on the outer fringes but somehow the higher elevations are under a blizzard warning with 2 feet of wet heavy snow expected at the ski resorts. Glad I'm a lowlander- not much going on here, mild wind and rain.

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
Happy to report our 108 year-old building in Brooklyn survived the hurricane - but we have two large trees down on our block, one of them blocking the street entirely, crushing a car in the process.

We are very lucky compared to our friends in Red Hook, Brooklyn, and many areas of lower Manhattan and the East Village. The subway tunnels under the East River have apparently taken on unprecedented amounts of water damage....

Luckily, our neighborhood still has electricity so I can fire up the hide glue pot today!

www.jamescarney.net
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Philadelphia area has lots of trees and flooding. Electricity, roads, mass transit, etc. are expected to be back fully by this evening. Fortunately no reported injuries.

This is a huge storm that stalled after it came over land. For the last three days, I've been fighting a bad cold and watching the rain and sudden wind gusts. Thankful for the electricity that powers my keyboard.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Emmery Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The wind and rain howled all night here and its mellowed out right now. Must have lost a lot of its punch as it came inland but the meteoroligists can't predict that too accurately. Lost one tree in the neighborhood and fair amount of garbage strewn about...NY and some areas on the east coast didn't fair so good by what I'm seeing on the news.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission