Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1979638 - 10/28/12 11:45 AM Using varnish when restringing
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
When you are restringing (with new pins) using the original block, do you swab the tuning pin holes with varnish beforehand? (Or dip the pins in varnish before tapping them in?) I seem to recall reading a PTG thread in which a respected tech was convinced that doing so not only made for a consistent-feeling torque, but that over time the same torque was more likely to hold up when using the varnish. If I recall correctly this tech was scientific about recording his torque readings and remeasuring each year for several years, comparing pianos he'd restrung with and without the varnish prep.

For those that have experience with this, any preferred brand/type of varnish? Do you simply apply it with a Q-tip?

And of course I'd like to hear from anyone who thinks (based on real experience) that using varnish is not a good idea.

I'm also curious to know what other kinds of prep or techniques you use when restringing. What kind of prep work do you do with the pinblock, if any? Do you wash the new pins with mineral spirits before using them? Do you measure all pin diameters to ensure uniformity? Klinke seems to be the highest quality manufacturer out there, are there any others? Thanks for your thoughts...

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1979648 - 10/28/12 12:12 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Back in the 70's, when I apprenticed, the shop I worked at didn't varnish the pins/holes - never heard of it before.

#1979649 - 10/28/12 12:14 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Dear James,

I'll be curious to see what others have to say. There are a lot of opinions on this subject.

I have used 'spar varnish' for 30 years in my restringing. A quick swizzle with a hammershank down the tuning-pin hole; a very light coating. I don't let it dry, I swizzle 10, string them, and then hit the next 10, etc. I want the slightly sticky varnish to serve as a 'pin-driving fluid' to prevent damage to the wood of the pinblock as the pin is whacked into place.

Rebuilds where the tech simply whacks the pins into a dry hole always feel 'jumpy' to me. Imprecise and 'clicky', which may get better with time...but often does not.

Using the spar-varnish gives you a smooth and solid feel to the pin. Predictable and nice. It actually improves with time. When I first used this I was not pleased...I thought the pin was lower torque than it should be. It took about a year to understand that the varnish is still 'curing' down there and just got a little tighter as time went by. Pianos restrung with the varnish have remained solid and predictable. It really takes about a year...maybe a year and a half...to see where the torque will finally be.

Not at the shop today, so I can't give you the manufacturer. But, a 'marine spar varnish' is the label.

I look forward to other's comments!

Sipping Costa Rican today,
I am,
In the armchair,

#1979673 - 10/28/12 01:28 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
During my university years, I worked at one of the top shops in the country. Using a driving fluid was standard practice there, so it is what I have always done.

However, to take it beyond individual experience, the Appleton Chapter of PTG did a controlled test of restringing with and without driving fluid. In all cases, the results were that there was lower initial pin torque using the driving fluid and a higher pin torque after the fluid dissipated compared to the tuning pins that were driven dry.

I recommend lacquer sanding sealer or shellac over varnish. You really want something that will dissipate more easily. There's no need to have a "coating" on the inside of the pin holes like a layer of finish on the cabinet.

We use a hammer shank to swab the hole before driving the pin. Usually we swab 6 tuning pin holes at a time. More than that and the fluid starts to dissipate or dry. I think using a driving fluid also minimizes/eliminates tuning pins jumping or snapping. It seems to give the pins a real smooth feel as they turn.

#1979677 - 10/28/12 01:33 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
There is a bit of interest in this right now, I think there was something about this in the Journal lately. Some of the components of spar varnish (at least the traditional kind) are natural tree resins. I am currently bringing in some some resin from Europe on request from a high profile technician who wants to try it out.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1979686 - 10/28/12 02:08 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
I'd be inclined to think that varnish or resin could work favourably within a certain window of compression/torque on the pin. If the pin hole sizes vary where they get a bit too tight (over 110 in/lbs) I think it would magnify the problem of sticky creepy pins. On the other side of the coin, it wont help too much if the hole is too big to properly hold the pin. Is the application of varnish or rosin meant to compensate for poorly drilled holes as far as size consistancy? I only mention this because I've seen wonderfully responsive tuning pins without the need for chemical additives between it and the wood.

#1979692 - 10/28/12 02:40 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Colophonium or Colophium, (gum rosen) is readily available in N. America. This product can also be used as a hammer hardener for clients who don’t want their hammer sets soaked in chemical solutions such as lacquer or colodium.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1979707 - 10/28/12 03:15 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
In the early 70's I was taught to use rosin for violin bows, rubbed into the pin threads.
Later I was taught and learned by experience that drilling the block correctly gave the best results weather drilling a new block or re-drilling an old one for a larger pin size.
I do not use driving lubricants any longer.
Also, I find that torque alone is not so much of a priority as the feel of the pin moving in the block.

#1979930 - 10/29/12 01:31 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Gene Nelson]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gene Nelson
In the early 70's I was taught to use rosin for violin bows, rubbed into the pin threads.
Later I was taught and learned by experience that drilling the block correctly gave the best results weather drilling a new block or re-drilling an old one for a larger pin size.
Also, I find that torque alone is not so much of a priority as the feel of the pin moving in the block.

I believe the main purpose of the rosin was to keep the pin from being contaminated with finger oils. It does not accomplish the same kind of thing as using driving fluid which minimizes destruction of the pin hole that happens with the manipulation of the pin during stringing. I believe the use of driving fluid is a superior approach to a superior feel of tuning pin.

#1980014 - 10/29/12 09:22 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Thanks everyone, still hoping to hear from more techs.

Jurgen, I must have missed the article in the Journal. If anyone knows which issue it was in I'd appreciate it.

Just sitting here rebushing a keyset and waiting for the hurricane to arrive....

Edited by James Carney (10/29/12 09:26 AM)

#1980045 - 10/29/12 11:07 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: kpembrook]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kpembrook

I believe the main purpose of the rosin was to keep the pin from being contaminated with finger oils. It does not accomplish the same kind of thing as using driving fluid which minimizes destruction of the pin hole that happens with the manipulation of the pin during stringing. I believe the use of driving fluid is a superior approach to a superior feel of tuning pin.

Actually, kpenbrook, the process of drilling does not leave a fine surface nor one that is consistant in size (incomparison to reaming or boring processes). The hole is nowhere as close to consistancy in size as that pin is on its diameter. The driving of the pin with its lightly threaded surface and the initial rotations to bring up to pitch evens out the walls irregular surface to provide more contact with the pin.... I would regard this as a beneficial thing and not a destructive one, as you mentioned. A few inch lbs of torque might be lost in the process but that is easily compensated for with the initial tool sizing.

I highly suspect that using a driving fluid would interfere with this final sizing of the hole in the same way as using specialized lubricants on an engine before it runs for several thousand miles and the rings properly wear into the cylinders.

Edited by Emmery (10/29/12 11:23 AM)

#1980047 - 10/29/12 11:16 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Emmery]
4000 Post Club Member

Agreed on the drilling.

This was confirmed to me years ago by a long time machinist when he overheard my conversation at a supply house regarding drill bits and what my application was.

The machinist industry does not view twist drills as accurate; twist drills tear the walls of the hole and once that begins there is no way to prevent it or stop it from continuing.

It was recommended to use a Forstner bit for new holes and adjustable reamers or dedicated reamers for the existing holes being enlarged.

Also any liquid that is put into the hole will fill the wood grain making for a more even wall structure. How far it permeates the wood fibers or how long it lasts is the unknown.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1980062 - 10/29/12 12:18 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When we used rosin, the intent was driving fluid, not protection from finger oils.

#1980064 - 10/29/12 12:23 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
4000 Post Club Member

I haven’t used any fluids on tuning pins for years now. As you mentioned previously a properly sized hole is yields best results.

If finger oils are a problem for some drop the tuning pins in alcohol or Methyl Hydrate. That’ll clean them up fast.

#1980070 - 10/29/12 12:34 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Emmery]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
Originally Posted By: kpembrook

Actually, kpenbrook, the process of drilling does not leave a fine surface nor one that is consistant in size (incomparison to reaming or boring processes). The hole is nowhere as close to consistancy in size as that pin is on its diameter. The driving of the pin with its lightly threaded surface and the initial rotations to bring up to pitch evens out the walls irregular surface to provide more contact with the pin.... I would regard this as a beneficial thing and not a destructive one, as you mentioned. A few inch lbs of torque might be lost in the process but that is easily compensated for with the initial tool sizing.

I highly suspect that using a driving fluid would interfere with this final sizing of the hole in the same way as using specialized lubricants on an engine before it runs for several thousand miles and the rings properly wear into the cylinders.

Just to be clear, I wasn't offering an opinion but experience.

We all know that one way to loosen a tight tuning pin is simply to move it back and forth a dozen times or so. It doesn't matter if you have a "really tight" tuning pin or a "somewhat tight" tuning pin. If you move the pin back and forth several times it WILL be looser than it was. Thus, no real potential for "evening out" the torque from pin to pin.

That is the same kind of manipulation pins get in the stringing process. Regardless of the individual starting torque, manipulation of the pin will always reduce that torque. Always. Addressing variations in hole diameter is a separate issue.

Using a driving fluid has been demonstrated -- by scientific testing and by experience of many top rebuilders -- to reduce the initial wear.

This might be a new concept to some and there certainly are other approaches. I don't really care who uses which procedure. However, there is no question that this approach works and works very well. It has a track record running into multiple decades.

#1980073 - 10/29/12 12:39 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Gene Nelson]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When we used rosin, the intent was driving fluid, not protection from finger oils.

Hmm, different story than what I heard. That is why it was used in some factories.

In any case, the rosin wouldn't do the same thing as the driving fluid because it doesn't dissipate. It stays there -- which may or may not be helpful.

I had always associated rosin with snapping tuning pins. That's its function in a violin bow -- to have that drag and release action that results in the string being activated. However, I don't have any direct experience or awareness of studies or tests one way or the other.

#1980080 - 10/29/12 12:48 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I will add this, there are many top rebuilders that have worked on and improved their drilling techniques such that they do not use driving fluids and track records are there as well.

#1980108 - 10/29/12 01:45 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
I am betting that snapping tuning pins are from glazed holes caused by a drill bit being too hot, probably from being dull. Ever notice how they tend to be in the upper end of the piano?

#1980113 - 10/29/12 01:59 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yup!

#1980115 - 10/29/12 02:17 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
4000 Post Club Member

High speed glazing is especially problematic with multi laminate blocks( read Delignit) as the resins overheat.

#1980181 - 10/29/12 05:15 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yep, instead of driving fluid, some of the laminates like delignit could do with a swabbing of acetone when they are done.

#1980186 - 10/29/12 05:25 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Keith,

You speak of driving fluid as something that "dissipates". I presume by this you mean that it is volatile and doesn't leave any solid residues. And yet, you mention sanding sealer or shellac as driving fluids. Both these contain solids dissolved in a solvent carrier. (Just as varnish does.) The solids don't "dissipate".

Could you explain what you mean by a "dissipating" driving fluid? Perhaps a very dilute coating?

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1980304 - 10/29/12 09:56 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: Mark R.]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark R.
Keith,

You speak of driving fluid as something that "dissipates". I presume by this you mean that it is volatile and doesn't leave any solid residues. And yet, you mention sanding sealer or shellac as driving fluids. Both these contain solids dissolved in a solvent carrier. (Just as varnish does.) The solids don't "dissipate".

Could you explain what you mean by a "dissipating" driving fluid? Perhaps a very dilute coating?

People may put other things (or nothing) into tuning pin holes, but the purpose of a driving fluid is simply to lubricate the tuning pin during the time that the pin is actively being manipulated during the stringing process. Any permanent residue is merely incidental -- or perhaps providing an additional benefit.

Varnishes are slow drying and have a high solids content. As a general category, their films also tend to be softer and more flexible than lacquers or shellac. In other words, a potential for a more "gummy" kind of end result. I am not aware of any studies comparing varnish and other products as a driving fluid, but its properties are welll-known and that would be my assumption about using varnish.

You are right, of course, that there is "something" left behind -- otherwise why not just use whatever thinner is the vehicle for the finish? But lacquers --as a category including sealers-- (followed by shellac dissolved in alcohol) is recognized for both for its low viscosity and its volatility; particularly in comparison to varnishes.

The effects of these two qualities is recognized by refinishers: If you apply lacquer sealer or shellac to the end grain of wood, it will be observed to
1) soak into the wood with little residue evident on the surface, and
2) dry very quickly.
In comparison, varnish will leave somewhat more of a film and take longer to dry.
There is no reason to suppose that the variation of those qualities between the lacquer-type category and the varnish category changes merely because it is happening inside a tuning pin hole.

In practice, the use of a driving fluid (I use lacquer sanding sealer and a few mililiters will do an entire piano) does lubricate the pin hole for a few hours, with the greatest effect within the first 20 minutes. As I mentioned, earlier, it also does seem to make for a nice "feel" as well as a higher final torque, so no doubt there is some effect of the solids component remaining in the hole, but it is not the primary reason for using the fluid.

As has been pointed out, there are other parameters to consider when drilling blocks and I don't suggest that driving fluid will somehow magically fix some major blunder done in another part of the process.

Having done it with and without driving fluid, I can say I prefer the use of the driving fluid. However, I don't suggest it is essential and realize that there are multiple approaches to doing high quality work. It may be that those other approaches involve a higher risk of carpal tunnel syndrome and the like . . .

#1980431 - 10/30/12 08:06 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
David Jenson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
'Interesting thread. I've used Delignit material since 1978 (if memory serves). Initially I tried many different combinations of drill sizes, drills, several varnishes, powdered rosin, nothing on the pins, and even pointing the pins to all four points of the compass before driving. Tentatively, I finally settled on something that seemed to yield the most consistent results with a twenty five year track record - careful and consistent drilling with a cold air stream on a really good letter size "H" fast spiral drill. I use powdered rosin on the pins, but that may be a little bow to voodoo hoodoo.

Now I get to start all over experimenting with a Boulduc block. Yippie!
-----

#1980498 - 10/30/12 11:38 AM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: David Jenson]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: David Jenson
'Interesting thread. I've used Delignit material since 1978 (if memory serves). Initially I tried many different combinations of drill sizes, drills, several varnishes, powdered rosin, nothing on the pins, and even pointing the pins to all four points of the compass before driving. Tentatively, I finally settled on something that seemed to yield the most consistent results with a twenty five year track record - careful and consistent drilling with a cold air stream on a really good letter size "H" fast spiral drill. I use powdered rosin on the pins, but that may be a little bow to voodoo hoodoo.

Now I get to start all over experimenting with a Boulduc block. Yippie!

If you are going to try a new block, I recommend the Falconwood -- now sold by technicians based in Milwaukee. It's a stronger block with a higher friction ratio than any other block -- thereby requiring less stress on the block to maintain a given torque -- and there has never been a failure since its introduction about 50 years ago.

For Falconwood, you only need an "I" drill bit using your same drilling protocol.
I use driving fluid.

#1980573 - 10/30/12 02:54 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Going for a new block I would recommend the hybrid, designed by Ron Nossaman.
A custom 9mm Dilignit cap (not bridge capping or pin block material) on a standard multi-lam block.

#1980575 - 10/30/12 02:56 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
My rebuilder has been using the Falconwood pin block exclusively for many years, with not one failure. I have one in my M&H RBB.

He did mention to me once, that it was important to use a new drill bit with each pinblock....I suspect this is the case when drilling any pinblock?

#1980589 - 10/30/12 03:28 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I bore twice, taking out about 1/2 the wood with the first bore using a bit I can sacrifice, and then boring to final diameter. Heat builds up when the chips cannot escape faster than they are generated, so taking out a bunch of wood first keeps the second bit from overheating, and it can be reused several times with only a bit of honing.

#1980610 - 10/30/12 04:06 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've found rigging up a stream of compressed air on the bit while drilling keeps it cool. I use even pressure on the bit, so I progress faster in softer areas of the block and slower in harder areas. I've never used a driving fluid - dry pins have been fine. I keep my fingers off the threads of the tuning pins, so no issue there - (I use a string coiler). The only issue with sticky pins I've had was this old Lester grand, where budget forced me to keep the same pin block. The old, loose pins were sticky, and the new, larger pins were just as sticky.

I wonder if some of those lovely feeling Indonesian and Chinese blocks are varnished up during stringing. My restrings don't feel like those do - never have.......

Another consideration is ambient RH when drilling. If the RH is 20% due to cold winter air, a good feeling block can be way too tight when it gets to humid Florida where the average RH is 55%. Dealing with tight pins is common here.

#1980639 - 10/30/12 05:38 PM Re: Using varnish when restringing [Re: James Carney]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree about two passes. The second will get rid of any errors made on the first.

I once re-drilled an existing block for oversized pins. I ground off the cutting edge of the bit, let it pull itself into the hole, held it in place and spun the drill to let the flutes do the cutting. It came out ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
175 registered (36251, accordeur, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1802 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253280 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
04/24/14 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
04/24/14 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
04/24/14 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
04/24/14 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
04/24/14 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission