Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
84 registered (András Lieber, Al LaPorte, 36251, Adypiano, allakart, 21 invisible), 1246 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1978633 - 10/25/12 07:22 PM Can you stand to hear your own recordings?
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have quite a library of various Theater Organ concert recordings, made on everything from a Scully, Crown, Studer reel machines, digital recordings, etc. I have seldom ever liked what I had produced. Other don't think of it so badly, but I find a couple shots of whiskey makes my performance reviews by myself a little more tolerable. I console myself that a true musician is never happy and must progress continually. Are you ever just proud of your accomplishments on a recording?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1978691 - 10/25/12 10:51 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Actually, yes, I'm happy with a couple of the recordings I've made. But most of my recordings are just "ok".

#1978710 - 10/26/12 12:02 AM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Not that I can play very well at all, but I have written about 40 or so of my own songs and arrangements, recorded them and posted most of them on YouTube. Some are better than others, and none of them are all that good, but they are original.

Every once in a while I'll go back and listen to some of them and a few of them actually surprise me... can't believe that is me playing and singing.

Too bad none of them were a big hit... smile

Rick

#1978741 - 10/26/12 01:43 AM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Sometimes yes!

www.josephkubera.com

#1978770 - 10/26/12 04:25 AM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I like them primarily for not having to play a particular piece in order to hear it... getting lazy and skills are diminishing, etc. wink

#1978813 - 10/26/12 08:43 AM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
The OP is talking about making a finished recording--- as if it were a studio session--- but there is another way to use recording. I scan and print out working scores so I can mark them up all I want... but I don't like to stop playing and write. So I record, then listen and write notes, mark danger spots, pedal, dynamics, etc... and also, listen to the piece as a whole. For this, I just use the little Zoom because it's easy--- no mikes, no fuss.

The other way, the way where it's a big deal and you drag out the console and the good mikes--- yes, it's nice, but it's hard. Plan on a lot of work. The studio-quality performance and recording/editing/mastering takes not only one lifetime of dedication, but two: to the very different disciplines of performance and audio engineering. I don't say it's not worthwhile! But if you find yourself wearing two hats, you might need two heads. And four hands.

Does it ever work out? Yes. It's great, actually. Sometimes, even when it's not perfect, it's still great--- and surprising, if you let some time go by and listen to your tracks again. Think what a wonderful advantage today's technology has given to pianists.

We can try to rise to the challenge... or we can spend a lifetime watching television. (Actually, we could spend a lifetime making television. Wow. When I was a kid, the video recorder didn't even exist.)

If you're going to make serious recordings, it's worth it to do your best to make it good. It can be unbearable otherwise. Charles Rosen talks about this, as a performer... I think it's in "Piano Notes." That tiny little mistake is one thing in a concert, but when you play it over and over again it emerges as the only feature you remember about the piece. We've grown to expect perfection that is inhuman, truly speaking.

#1978886 - 10/26/12 12:45 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Are you ever just proud of your accomplishments on a recording?

Yes. Most of them are pretty good sound quality (much better than most on the web), and more importantly, I like to hear them also for their music (i.e. the interpretation, flow etc).

#1978894 - 10/26/12 01:02 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
djwayne Offline

Most recently I bought Cakewalk's Sonar X2 recording software. I have the Ivory II piano sample program. Sonar has a thing the call "Pro Channel" which has some very nice professional effects such as EQ, Concrete Limiter, compression, reverb etc....After playing around with the effects, I can make my Ivory II samples sound absolutely fantastic. Even a rough demo sounds great !! So yes I do like the sounds of my recordings, I just wish I would make more, hopefully over the winter I will. smile

#1979117 - 10/26/12 09:32 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Since I haven't bought recording equipment yet, my guitar-playing friends did record me playing. Love to hear my piano playing more modern pieces (Desperado by the Eagles) but hate to hear myself play. I do use the recording feature on my Casio for practice which really, really helps, but I love it as much as I love using a metronome. For me, an absolute necessity but I hate it.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1979488 - 10/27/12 10:44 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
Foxes Offline

The quality of my recordings is excellent in terms of sound, but...I just can't stand most of my compositions. Friends have liked them, as have family, but I'm my own worse critic

#1979512 - 10/28/12 01:16 AM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
MrMagic Offline

Loc: Stettler AB Canada
I have a Zoom H2n and love how it records and love the sound of my piano, but unfortunately it also records my mistakes very well too smirk
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play

#1979807 - 10/28/12 07:28 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: thetandyman
I have quite a library of various Theater Organ concert recordings, made on everything from a Scully, Crown, Studer reel machines, digital recordings, etc. I have seldom ever liked what I had produced. Other don't think of it so badly, but I find a couple shots of whiskey makes my performance reviews by myself a little more tolerable. I console myself that a true musician is never happy and must progress continually. Are you ever just proud of your accomplishments on a recording?

I think that we can always find something to do 'better' in our own playing. But sometimes, I get a twofold dissatisfaction: 1) Frustration, because I can play it better now than when it was recorded, 2) Envy, because I can't play it better now than when it was recorded. (I guess that begs another question--do you ever get envious of your own recordings?)

For me, I am absolutely never happy. I have never played or recorded anything perfectly "the way I wanted", and so I always find a reason to criticize myself. I don't take the tack that "...you could never find something to say that I didn't already think of," because others can always find different ideas more easily than me. But I do often say that you could never criticize me any worse than I criticize myself. (Some have tried..) wink

#1980210 - 10/29/12 06:27 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France
Well, I like to hear myself play piano but as soon as I hear myself singing I Want to crawl under a stone and die; see why here:......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWFbuI5sKo

#1980229 - 10/29/12 07:01 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have always thought that I would like the style which I currently play, especially on the theater organ, I copy no one, however, I certainly wish I could play my style with much more dexterity. Yes Derulux, I know that I have a bit more sophisticated style than, say, 20 years ago, BUT I sometimes wonder on a playback, "How did I do that" Old age creeping! I tell ya.

#1980355 - 10/29/12 11:38 PM Re: Can you stand to hear your own recordings? [Re: thetandyman]
trigalg693 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

When I hear my recordings, I tend to remember all the mistakes, be really proud of my playing, and then cringe when I hear the mistake. Overall, pretty proud of a few, not all.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
Today at 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159359 Topics
2340928 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission