Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1980511 - 10/30/12 12:34 PM YOUNG CHANG
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Sometimes, you get the odd surprise, and it's worth a look if nothing else.

Somebody, who I'm not going to disclose at the moment, has a Young Chang 7'6 grand in storage, for sale. It has never been sold so is 'new' although it has been in the store, which is temperature controlled and everything like that, for a long time. The piano was built between 1995-2000. The piano wouldn't be in the high price bracket and certainly not comparable to a brand new piano.

What is the general view of large Young Chang grands from that period? Are they good workhorses or not? I know they take a bit of setting up in the action, which usually needs some level of re-centering. Whilst I have my eyes open for a new instrument, would this be worth going to see? Or should I steer clear? Does anyone know about the design and build?

I haven't seen the piano yet and don't have the model or serial number so I'm sorry I can't give any more information than that.

I know why it has been unsold and I'm satisfied with that - the guy usually sells more expensive pianos and it was ordered by a concert society who were run by an organist, who didn't like the heavy touch. The piano was then put back on it's side into storage and from then on has sat as the dealer has sold other far more expensive pianos.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1980532 - 10/30/12 01:20 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Originally Posted By: joe80
I know why it has been unsold...

How can a dealer sell a piano that stays in storage? Were they looking for a decorator that needed a piece of furniture?

#1980540 - 10/30/12 01:34 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
The scenario described is not unbelievable.

Young Changs of that era often needed a good deal of dealer prep, but with that service they could perform quite well.

Have the dealer prop the piano and try it out.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1980544 - 10/30/12 01:39 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Joe - I wasn't aware that YC built a 7'6" grand back then.

If the piano dates back to 1995 it probably is the basic "G" series. If it was built closer to 2000 it "may" be the upgraded "PG" series (with the input of Joe Pramberger) - but I seriously doubt it.

The 7' Weber grand built by YC during that period actually had Renner action parts. I doubt that this one does.

That said - by all means go look at it !!!!!! Get the model and serial number. If you are serious do have a piano tech look at it as well and give you his/her opinion. And play a variety of repertoire on it to see how it responds.

#1980546 - 10/30/12 01:48 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I suppose until I see the piano there's no way to know how it sounds, if it has renner parts etc.

yeah there are lots of pianos in storage that haven't been sold. It doesn't happen with pianos like Steinways etc, but lesser known brands, as YC is here, it can happen.

#1980550 - 10/30/12 02:01 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

If you end up buying the YC - or something like it from storage - you'll be WAY ahead of where I was while in high school.......practicing on a large old McPhail upright (American brand from the early 20th c.). crazy

#1980600 - 10/30/12 03:47 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

When I was in High School, I used a 1950s English Challen upright from the 1950s. For a period of about 8 or 9 years I used it on a regular basis, hard practice, about 4 hours a day. The piano survived with only one broken string and some action work required. I still have that piano at my parents house. It sounds pretty rancid now.

When I was at music college, just after I graduated from undergrad and starting postgrad, I got a 1913 Bluthner style 8 grand piano. I was SO excited about having my own grand, finally. I moved it to my studio in Dundee, Scotland when I bought my apartment in 2006, and in 2007 took delivery of a Brodmann 187. The Bluthner has remained in Scotland, still under my ownership, and the Brodmann has come with me, although it's not built to quite the same standards as the Bluthner, with string breakages and some action failure after 5 years of heavy labour.

Infact, all that was 'wrong' with the Bluthner is that it was tired out, and it isn't a modern instrument - it has the patent action.

So, if I went for the YC, it would be to replace the Brodmann. Either that or I have the running repairs done on the Brodmann and wait til I can get something way better. For all I know, the YC might meet all my piano needs, but I would, ultimately, like a Bosendorfer or a Hamburg Steinway.

I'm 32 years old now.

These old large American uprights are the stuff of legend I believe, we didn't see many (any?) in this country although we have had the odd Weber pianola, which have been good pianos in their own way. My first piano was a straight-strung overdamper pile of junk, but I was in love with it. I just had to play it, couldn't keep off it. I'm still a bit like that. I get a bit nervous if I'm not round pianos!

#1980644 - 10/30/12 05:47 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
If it's a PG then it might be an upgrade in quality over the Brodmann. Otherwise, those older Young Changs are just ok.

#1980657 - 10/30/12 06:32 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Having listened around on youtube - and they don't have many examples - all of them sound fairly uneven, a bit thin and quite unresponsive.

#1980742 - 10/30/12 10:32 PM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: carey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey
If you end up buying the YC - or something like it from storage - you'll be WAY ahead of where I was while in high school.......practicing on a large old McPhail upright (American brand from the early 20th c.). crazy

Whoops !! I apologize, Joe - I was confusing YOU with another Joe on these forums who currently is a high school student. Enjoyed your piano story, however.

The older YC would not be a step up from your Brodmann. At best, the YC would be comparable...but not likely.

#1980811 - 10/31/12 05:13 AM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I thought you were just being complimentary, or couldn't see too well on the video you saw of me playing on the Pianists Corner, and thought I was 16. It's OK, people say I look young. A couple of years ago I had to present ID when buying a bottle of gin from a supermarket. I was most flattered!

#1980812 - 10/31/12 05:18 AM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
joe80 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I think the Young Chang might be a bit stronger, and have a heavier touch. Being a larger piano it could potentially have a better tone, but there's a whole lot more to tone than simply the size of the piano.

#1980876 - 10/31/12 10:10 AM Re: YOUNG CHANG [Re: joe80]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: joe80
I thought you were just being complimentary, or couldn't see too well on the video you saw of me playing on the Pianists Corner, and thought I was 16. It's OK, people say I look young. A couple of years ago I had to present ID when buying a bottle of gin from a supermarket. I was most flattered!

I wasn't even thinking of the video when I made my initial comment. If I had, of course, I would have realized you were the other Joe. smile

Edited by carey (10/31/12 10:13 AM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
Who's Online
139 registered (ajames, ando, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1521 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158397 Topics
2326017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission