Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1980580 - 10/30/12 03:13 PM Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio
bittersweetmusique Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I have interviews for both coming up and I have no idea which to choose from. Unfortunately I think I am leaning towards sales at Tom Lee since it's more reputable and I already teach piano independently, but.. it is a "sales" position, which is not exactly what I'm aiming for towards the future -- although it would be a dream to work in a musical environment. The music studio was rated "Best Music Studio" in 2010 in the local newspaper. What would you guys do?

The music studio is " Prelude Piano Studio "

Edited by bittersweetmusique (10/30/12 03:14 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1980585 - 10/30/12 03:21 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Neither. I would start my own studio. Hey, wait, that's exactly what I did.

#1980588 - 10/30/12 03:27 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: John v.d.Brook]

But I already do that :P although I'm a student and only teach 10 right now, and plus I live in an apartment so I can't really go all-out and run a full-blown studio on my own. I guess I'm looking to expand my experiences.

Edited by bittersweetmusique (10/30/12 03:31 PM)

#1980623 - 10/30/12 04:52 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Well, get some income and then buy a small house on a main traffic route. Interest rates are at an all time low. Don't know what they are in Canada, but suspect they aren't too high. Otherwise, move a bit south, perhaps to Bellingham. As far as I'm concerned, Washington, Oregon and Idaho ought to join with BC and form it's own country. After all, we have more in common with each other than either of us do with the rest of our respective nations. Oops, I'm preaching insurrection here. Never mind.

#1980629 - 10/30/12 05:13 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would do both. Hey, that's what I do! I work full time and teach full time.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1980664 - 10/30/12 06:52 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think you should take the sales job. You will meet many prospective students, and you can always teach them at another location until you can afford to leave the apartment. Perhaps Tom Lee has studios you can rent as well.

You will also learn how to convince people of things, especially things they didn't think they needed. This will help greatly when speaking to students and their parents. It will make you a rounder person and teach you the importance of good phone skills, good manners, and a good appearance.

Plus you will make a lot of money if you can sell.

#1980693 - 10/30/12 08:23 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
My father said never put all your eggs on one basket, but having said, the question is which environment do you enjoy the most, teaching or sales? And where is the money and how much do you need to be happy - will you find it teaching or selling?

#1980785 - 10/31/12 01:27 AM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]

All these replies are great.

John:
Haha property in Vancouver is atrociously expensive.. so moving out won't happen anytime soon, but thanks for the input!

Stanny:
I am considering doing both if I can smile life of a musician eh?.. working full-time while running a studio. How do you like it? Do you find it is too draining?

Candywoman: I am actually leaning towards the sales job as the priority, since Tom Lee is reputable and I will be able to make connections there. Plus the fixed hours will come in handy since I'm a student and I will be able to teach regardless on my own, just not part of a professional studio as much (may look into that more seriously in the future).

Michael99: Definitely love the thought of being surrounded by instruments, but I love the task of teaching the piano much more. I guess I have to try them both out to truly see what fits my needs.

#1983786 - 11/07/12 01:59 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
missbelle Offline

Loc: USA
When buying my son an accessory for his band instrument, the sales guy demonstrated for us and then began to tell us his college and adult life resume. It was all very impressive, but he said that the music store brought him stories, and with set hours, he could play in a local band nights and weekends.
He did not teach, and had a long commute, but had a great smile doing want he enjoyed.
Do what makes you smile.
smile
(And, well, pays the bills. There is a saying something along the lines of, "If you love what you do, you never have to work.")

#1984056 - 11/08/12 08:40 AM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I say take the job and continue to teach on the side. As you gain more students you can cut back or quit the sales job.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1992860 - 11/30/12 02:33 PM Re: Job comparison - Sales at Tom Lee, or Teach at Piano Studio [Re: bittersweetmusique]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: bittersweetmusique
All these replies are great.

John:
Haha property in Vancouver is atrociously expensive.. so moving out won't happen anytime soon, but thanks for the input!

Tell me about it! Vancouver has some of the highest housing prices in the world... Although I hear it's flattening out these days.

Why don't you apply as a teacher? The Tom Lee downtown (in Vancouver) is hiring teachers, I heard. I don't hear a lot about Long and McQuade here, but you could try that too.

You can also try becoming a travelling teacher... Lots of teachers in Vancouver travel to their students' houses because of the cost of studio spaces.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1541 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157235 Topics
2309380 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
09/02/14 11:00 AM
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission