Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1972967 - 10/13/12 11:47 PM Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y?
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I'll be there ...

Check out my blog !

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1972976 - 10/14/12 12:45 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I'm jealous.

#1973029 - 10/14/12 06:08 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
You know I don't like his Bach. To me his Bach is empty compared to Sokolov or Perahia. I originally liked his fingering for Henle's edition of Book one but William Palmer's Masterworks is to me the gold standard for part 1. Richter's part 1 touches me so deeply each and every Prelude and Fugue that Sciffs work is superfluous to this titanic masterpiece.

#1973079 - 10/14/12 09:36 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know if I like his Bach the best of anyone's, but I respect what he's put into it. I thought it would be interesting to hear the entire book at a live concert. I'm also going to hear him play WTC II in Maryland the following week.

He just released a new version of the entire WTC on CD, btw.

Check out my blog !

#1973119 - 10/14/12 11:13 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I can't decide if I would like to hear so many Preludes and Fugues in a row. I have never listened to more than a handful together. I do find all the ones I've heard to be masterful, but 24 fugues might be too much for my brain to handle. Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital, although I think Garrick Ohlssohn might have done something like that in his all Scriabin recital a few years ago.

What other pianists have played an entire book of the WTC in a single recital? The only one I know for sure is Pollini, but I'd guess quite a few others(Richter, Hewitt, Feinberg,?)have done so.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/14/12 11:20 AM)

#1973133 - 10/14/12 11:27 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
[...]What other pianists have played an entire book of the WTC in a single recital? The only one I know for sure is Pollini, but I'd guess quite a few others(Richter, Hewitt, Feinberg,?)have done so.

Stores did it.

#1973134 - 10/14/12 11:34 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Piano Again
I'll be there ...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! What a wonderful opportunity to hear a noteable pianist, who has put his heart and intellect into such an endeavor, share his work in a live performance!

(I think it is funny and sad at the same time how people are so quick sometimes to jump into a celebration thread with cold, wet blanket.)

Let us know how you liked it, Play Again!

--Andy

#1973135 - 10/14/12 11:35 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital, although I think Garrick Ohlssohn might have done something like that in his all Scriabin recital a few years ago.

Actually, I'd hardly mind having four or so of them thrown together in a recital. Makes me think of Matti Raekallio who performed the complete sonatas - in ONE DAY...Even Feinberg needed to split it up into two recitals with a few days inbetween to do the complete sonatas, hehe. Saw Sokolov doing an all-scriabin 2nd half of a concert some years ago, including 3 sonatas and shorter pieces (which included Vers la flamme, which is sort of his 11th sonata anyway). It was quite something to see the development from the op. 9 pieces and the 3rd sonata up until Vers la flamme, in a single recital.

As for WTC-pianists, yes, Hewitt was touring with only WTC for quite a while - one book at a time, I would assume. I wonder about Edwin Fischer also - did he ever play them as a whole in concerts..?

#1973137 - 10/14/12 11:37 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I can't decide if I would like to hear so many Preludes and Fugues in a row.

I can decide - and the answer is definitely no!

#1973205 - 10/14/12 02:25 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm not totally sold on his Bach either, but I'm certainly going when he plays WTCII in Seattle tomorrow. How often does anyone get an opportunity to see something like that live???

#1973217 - 10/14/12 03:40 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
[...]What other pianists have played an entire book of the WTC in a single recital? The only one I know for sure is Pollini, but I'd guess quite a few others(Richter, Hewitt, Feinberg,?)have done so.

Stores did it.

Walgreens, Target, Sears?

#1973218 - 10/14/12 03:48 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

[quote=pianoloverus] Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital [quote]

or the entire chopin mazurkas........... crazy

#1973219 - 10/14/12 03:49 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital

#1973223 - 10/14/12 04:07 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: JoelW]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: mazurkajoe
Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital

Not quite a bad IMO and I have listened to at least half of them in a row. I think the problem with the WTC as a whole is that fugue after fugue can be difficult.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/14/12 07:48 PM)

#1973278 - 10/14/12 06:58 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I think the problem with the WTC as a whole is that fugue and fugue can be difficult.
That's why you have the preludes.

#1973413 - 10/15/12 01:58 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I can't decide if I would like to hear so many Preludes and Fugues in a row. I have never listened to more than a handful together. I do find all the ones I've heard to be masterful, but 24 fugues might be too much for my brain to handle. Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital, although I think Garrick Ohlssohn might have done something like that in his all Scriabin recital a few years ago.

I've sat down and listened to an entire book of the WTC once or twice. After a while, if it's a good performance, I shut off mentally and just enjoy it, which is nice. Edwin Fischer's is my favorite.

#1973418 - 10/15/12 02:24 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
When I have a major academic project to do, I'll usually make a very serious playlist of large works to help me focus. Often it'll be Bach and Beethoven. I've certainly listened through both WTC books or all of the French and English Suites in one of those sittings numerous times, but I've never made it all the way through the Beethoven Sonatas. Around about the Leichte Sonatas, my mind starts going numb.

Nothing to do with Beethoven, just the comparative lengths sleep

#1973566 - 10/15/12 12:20 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
I'm going to see Book I Wednesday and then Book II on the 24th at Disney Concert Hall in LA.

For recitals, they don't sell tickets in the balcony so we've had to buy better seats. Which is good because on Wednesday we're practically sitting next to him. But it's expensive.

There does not seem to be a pre-show lecture, which was the main reason I bought these tickets so many months ago.

#1973856 - 10/15/12 11:21 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: MarkH]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH
How often does anyone get an opportunity to see something like that live???

Every few years, it seems like to me. And as if the touring professionals inflicting it on us weren't enough, we also had a local music school do it using a bunch of their faculty in rotation. At least there was some variety of personality and approach to mitigate the tedium.

Don't get me wrong - I love the WTC, but as concert music, I think a little of it goes a long way, and frankly, a good deal of it is more enjoyable and interesting to play than to listen to, IMO. I have this idea that Bach would be horrified at the idea of whole concerts made up of nothing but.

#1974436 - 10/17/12 08:14 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
BWV 846 Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
I LOVE Book I. It was my transition to really loving Bach's music. I wish I could go, but it's relatively far away (I'm in DC) and expensive. I really wish I could have seen Angela Hewitt perform Books I & II.

I do have a ticket to see him perform Book II in DC. For the Well Tempered Clavier, I generally prefer Angela Hewitt's version. IMVHO Schiff plays with German seriousness and heaviness, while Hewitt plays with French and Italian lightness, elegance, and joy, clearly bringing out the dance-like character of many of the pieces.

#1974446 - 10/17/12 08:35 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I can't decide if I would like to hear so many Preludes and Fugues in a row.

I saw Roger Woodward play WTC I live last year and while I enjoyed the first while, I was bored almost to tears by the end. Too many for me!

Edited by pianojosh23 (10/17/12 08:36 AM)

#1974457 - 10/17/12 09:09 AM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: BWV 846]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BWV 846
I LOVE Book I. It was my transition to really loving Bach's music. I wish I could go, but it's relatively far away (I'm in DC) and expensive. I really wish I could have seen Angela Hewitt perform Books I & II.

I do have a ticket to see him perform Book II in DC. For the Well Tempered Clavier, I generally prefer Angela Hewitt's version. IMVHO Schiff plays with German seriousness and heaviness, while Hewitt plays with French and Italian lightness, elegance, and joy, clearly bringing out the dance-like character of many of the pieces.

Maybe I'll see you there! We need a secret PW hand signal or something.

I rather prefer Hewitt's version, too, though I wonder if it's partly because her Fazioli has a cleaner sound than the piano on Schiff's recording(s). She also uses pedal, and he doesn't, which hampers him sometimes, I think.

Check out my blog !

#1975155 - 10/18/12 12:19 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Cinnamonbear]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
I'll be there ...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! What a wonderful opportunity to hear a noteable pianist, who has put his heart and intellect into such an endeavor, share his work in a live performance!

Let us know how you liked it, Play Again!

Last night at Disney Concert Hall, it was great. The acoustics are wonderful and we were sitting on the keyboard side of the hall.

Why people think there would be too many fugues is beyond me.

The preludes were delightful little pearls cast between the magnificent structures of those fugues.

At the final chord of the final fugue he lingered and let it die out slowly, and the crowd was quiet until it faded away totally. Then the standing O.

A quiet crowd, too, although one poor woman sounded like she choked on a chicken bone after the intermission.

Edited by Plowboy (10/18/12 12:19 PM)

#1976853 - 10/21/12 07:30 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
JessicaB Offline

MarkH, what did you think? A number of friends went on Monday, and I got a wide range of reviews from "dry" to incredible. I love Schiff's lectures on the various Beethoven sonatas that are available. My sense is that he approaches the music in an intellectual fashion.

#1977071 - 10/22/12 12:03 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
Originally Posted By: BWV 846

Maybe I'll see you there! We need a secret PW hand signal or something.

Wife and I will be there too. I'm not sure how well throwing up gang signs will go over at Strathmore, though. shocked If anyone's interested we could organize a spot to meet during intermission or something like that. (I do not have access to the "admirals' club" or whatever that lounge for big donors is called.)
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#1979845 - 10/28/12 09:21 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just back from New York. The Schiff recital was great! Somehow being in a concert hall while someone is playing those pieces, and playing them that well, is different from listening to a recording. The place was packed, and the audience attentive and enthusiastic. For an encore, he played the C major prelude and fugue from Book 2.

I hope the performance Tuesday goes on as scheduled, what with the dire weather reports and all.

Check out my blog !

#1980188 - 10/29/12 05:28 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
jmcintyre Offline

Today I received email and a phone call (!) from the Washington Performing Arts Society noting Schiff's performance for tomorrow has been cancelled. Schiff is currently in NYC, with no easy way to get here due to just about everything being shut down. No details are available about rescheduling yet, but they said they'd announce something as soon as they could.

Hope that all who are in Sandy's path remain safe.

#1980202 - 10/29/12 06:00 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: pianoloverus]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Kind of like hearing four Scriabin Sonatas on one recital, although I think Garrick Ohlssohn might have done something like that in his all Scriabin recital a few years ago.

Jonathan Powell played all 10 in one concert. Quite impressive.

Edited by ScriabinAddict (10/29/12 08:33 PM)

#1980225 - 10/29/12 06:52 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: jmcintyre]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jmcintyre
Today I received email and a phone call (!) from the Washington Performing Arts Society noting Schiff's performance for tomorrow has been cancelled. Schiff is currently in NYC, with no easy way to get here due to just about everything being shut down. No details are available about rescheduling yet, but they said they'd announce something as soon as they could.

Hope that all who are in Sandy's path remain safe.

You must be a WPA member. smile I got two emails but no phone call.

Check out my blog !

#1980694 - 10/30/12 08:26 PM Re: Anyone going to hear Schiff play WTC I at the 92nd Street Y? [Re: Piano Again]
jmcintyre Offline

You must be a WPA member. smile I got two emails but no phone call.

We joined earlier this year. It paid off - and then some - in discounts on tickets for Yefim Bronfman and Jonathan Biss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (ando, bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, 14 invisible), 1100 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251539 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission