Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
107 registered (AndyP, accordeur, Anita Potter, aceydawg, A Guy, 32 invisible), 1437 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1980714 - 10/30/12 09:22 PM November Piano Bar
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I tried to resist kicking it off early ... but it's the last day of October in my time zone (and I'm at home with the flu).

I've been thinking for a while about Elssa's prompting me to develop my arpeggio playing but couldn't think of anything to try it with ... until now.

I can't help falling in love with you

I couldn't find the ideal key for me to sing and play it in and had to settle with F so I'm not that pleased with it vocally.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1980722 - 10/30/12 09:47 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Another nice job, Newman. This song is an old favorite, and I enjoyed your version. Your arps sound great.

flickr

#1980759 - 10/30/12 11:22 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
Very touching. This version is exclusive for this forum. Thanks Newman.

#1980772 - 10/31/12 12:21 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
That was really fantastic, Newman! Very sensitively played as it sounded like you were listening very carefully to the music as you sang. Good music and a wonderful performance.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1980792 - 10/31/12 02:55 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Its Autumn here. It rained for two days and the whether turned cold. I improvised this Autumn Leaf in F.

https://www.box.com/s/e2skf40aw6jzlt7e1yu8

Edited by Weiyan (10/31/12 03:05 AM)

#1980880 - 10/31/12 10:16 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
I've been off the grid for a while. Not much playing or posting time. Sigh. Here are a couple of "smooth jazz" experiments that I did a couple of years ago. The first one is Pure Imagination - yes, the Willy Wonka theme song. In this one the piano is used more as the melody instrument and the horns for soloing. Pretty simple, piano-wise. I was going for the true CD 101 flavor of smooth jazz.

The Theme from M*A*S*H (aka Suicide is Painless) is more of a hybrid smooth jazz and swing number. As I recall, this song is a lot harder than it seems because it has a bizarre one bar time change right in the middle of each verse.

Pure Imagination

Theme from M*A*S*H

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#1980896 - 10/31/12 11:06 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
November off to a flying (early) start, interesting contributions so far.

Newman, it's funny you did that Elvis classic, I've been practising it now and then. I really enjoyed your version, we seem to have a similar taste for music.

The Hal Leonard version I have has some tricky chords and chord changes in the bridge (like a river flows...), so if you could send me a chord chart - you have my email - I'd appreciate it. At least I'd have an alternative. My version is in F major.

Weiyan, you're improving. Kenjazz, those jazz pieces were great, just wondering, do you play the saxophone as well? Or trumpet, I'm not so familiar with those, can't always tell the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#1980902 - 10/31/12 11:51 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: TheodorN]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Pianotehead
just wondering, do you play the saxophone as well? Or trumpet, I'm not so familiar with those, can't always tell the difference.

Thanks!

No, just piano and guitar. Those are my virtual sidemen from band-in-a-box. I don't advertise their names anymore because the etiquette is to avoid mentions, lest people think that they are playing live with you.

Schimmel 120J

#1980981 - 10/31/12 03:01 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
you guys ever go through your old videos on YouTube? I just went through a few of mine.. ewww.. I think they're horrible lol. I'm surprise anybody listens to them haha. I decided to redo one of my old videos. The Mickey Mouse March.. Apparently, in my old version, I didn't even play the last page because it was too hard for me at that time but not no more! I guess it is safe to say, I've improved a little bit in the last 2 years :P

New Version

Old Version if you are interested....it was 2 years ago I put this one up.. I remember putting it up in the piano bar too I think ..ahh I remember that ol' upright piano..

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1981017 - 10/31/12 05:20 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Newman - I can't help falling in love with you
Amazing is all I can say… You have a great and very pure and smooth voice! Your recording quality is excellent too. Thanks for sharing!! What a great start of the bar this is!!!

Weiyan - Autumn
Great piece and it is great that you can improvise like that!

KenJazz - Pure Imagination
Ah… this is great Ken.!!Your tunes have a great warmth to it the way to arrange and play things. It is a true please to listen to your pieces. I always forget that I am not listening to the radio… How long time does it take you pull something like this together? Are these not real persons playing??? I am not familiar with Band In A Box but I assume it is a software that you control via MIDI, or?

KenJazz - M*A*S*H theme
Nostalgia… What a great TV series that was and your performance/arrangement here is equally great. The TV version (original?) is faster but I like it how you slowed down it here too. Great job!!

Ladypayne - Mickey Mouse March Piano
Great performance in both versions! It is great to see this type of comparison. Sometimes it is hard to notice progress but youtube makes this easy.Thanks for sharing!

Here is my video of the month; Yann Tiersen - Coma. This a short piece from the 2003 German movie Good Bye Lenin.

#1981035 - 10/31/12 06:05 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weiyan~ Very excellent improvisation. I wish you'd have composed a slightly longer rendition. Good work.

Kenjazz~ Pure imagination was very nicely done as was the theme from MASH. I just don't have a very long attention span for the smooth jazz genre. You certainly have a wide range of styles and music you play, which is simply fantastic. Your playing is so good.

ladypayne~ you certainly have improved a great deal in the last two years. Isn't it great to read music you used to play only to find out how much more comfortable you are playing it again after all this time's gone by? Excellent!

Amaruk~ Very well done. I don't know who Yann Tiersen is, but it is clear you very much appreciate his music and express it marvelously.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1981116 - 10/31/12 08:52 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Weiyan, nice job on your improv. Really fun.

flickr

#1981119 - 10/31/12 08:52 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

kenjazz, these two pieces are like listening to a professional performance. Excellent and very enjoyable.

flickr

#1981121 - 10/31/12 08:55 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

ladypayne, the improvement since the first version is striking. Keep up the great work. Has it seriously been two years already? Time's fun when your having flies.

flickr

#1981122 - 10/31/12 08:58 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Amaruk, what a nice video. I haven't heard this one before. It is very nice.

Edited by TX-Dennis (10/31/12 08:58 PM)

flickr

#1981128 - 10/31/12 09:15 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kenjazz: Like your music.

Ladypayne: It seems the newer version is rather self confident. The older version with acoustic piano is rather warm. Hope you could playing acoustic again.

Amaruk: I can feel your passion.

Inlanding: Thank you for your encouragement. Not yet know how to compose yet. Still need to learn.

Edited by Weiyan (10/31/12 09:18 PM)

#1981209 - 11/01/12 03:21 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ken Jazz - After hearing the Mash TV theme more than once too often it was refreshing to hear your version and I enjoyed it. (I couldn’t pick the time change bar though – where is it?)
Weiyan – An interesting piece – you could almost add a drone ( a long sustained underlying note) to it which would add it its meditative nature
Ladypayne - Yes much improved. The greater confidence shows.
Amaruk – That’s nicely done. Yann Tierson’s music is really growing on me. I’m going to have to learn how to play Coma.

And thanks all for the compliments.

#1981254 - 11/01/12 08:11 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
I just don't have a very long attention span for the smooth jazz genre.

Glen

LOL! I know what you mean. Some of these experiments are just to see what people will actually listen to. My Brother-in-law who is an incredible jazz and roots blues professional flute player went through a smooth jazz phase for a while because it was the only thing that was commercially viable. Some of it sounded really good, and it was nice mood music, but he hated it. I haven't done the smooth jazz thing since these, but I've definitely had some people indicate that Pure Imagination was the only song that they thought was listenable of the ones I've tried.

Amaruk - These are actually real players, not MIDI. I no longer advertise their names, because the etiquette is to avoid mentioning them lest someone gets the mistaken idea that they are playing live with you in a studio. Since these were done a while ago, I may have mentioned their names in the accompanying blog post(s). The software that chooses the right solo elements for the arrangement is quite amazing!

Newman - Good ear! MASH is in 4/4, but right before the part that serves as the bridge, there is a measure of 2/4 instead. I went back and looked at my arrangement and found that I blew it off and made the whole thing 4/4 so that it would work better as a jazz tune.

Tx-Dennis and Weiyan - Thank you for the thoughtful comments!

Schimmel 120J

#1981273 - 11/01/12 09:27 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Amaruk - Coma is such a fitting melody for the theme from the movie. I wish this were longer. When is this played- when she emerges from the coma?

Ladypayne - It is great to see such side-by-side progress. The new one really sounds good!

Weiyan - I thought this was supposed to be Autumn Leaves at first, and was confused. When I figured out it was a completely different improv, I went back and listened again and really enjoyed what you did with it.

Newman - Beautiful. Did you record this on one track or two? If you did this on one track with the arpeggios and singing all at the same time, it was quite a feat. Either way it sounded really special.

Schimmel 120J

#1981476 - 11/01/12 06:30 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Newman - Beautiful. Did you record this on one track or two? If you did this on one track with the arpeggios and singing all at the same time, it was quite a feat. Either way it sounded really special.

Thanks for the compliment. Recorded on one track - on my new Zoom H1. (Well, I've had it a few weeks now).

#1981655 - 11/02/12 08:14 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Newman - a fine job on this great tune by the King! I think your accompaniment works well with this one.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1981657 - 11/02/12 08:17 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Weiyan]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weiyan - an interesting composition. It did have an autumnal feel to it.

#1981660 - 11/02/12 08:28 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Kenjazz - loved them both. I found myself bobbing and swaying to the music - my wife walked by and said "you must really be enjoying whatever it is you are listening to" (I was wearing headphones).

#1981662 - 11/02/12 08:30 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ladypayne - a very nice arrangement. I like your intro.

#1981664 - 11/02/12 08:37 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amaruk - you have such a sensitive touch - it sounds like you are caressing each note. You have a real talent for this genre - very well done.

#1981668 - 11/02/12 08:52 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Last month I did a song by The Boss, Newman did one this month by the King. Here is one by the Chairman of the Board.

It Was A Very Good Year

#1981887 - 11/02/12 05:32 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: Newman
I tried to resist kicking it off early ... but it's the last day of October in my time zone (and I'm at home with the flu).

I've been thinking for a while about Elssa's prompting me to develop my arpeggio playing but couldn't think of anything to try it with ... until now.

I can't help falling in love with you

I couldn't find the ideal key for me to sing and play it in and had to settle with F so I'm not that pleased with it vocally.

Very nice voice, thanks for sharing

#1981888 - 11/02/12 05:34 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Weiyan]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: Weiyan
Its Autumn here. It rained for two days and the whether turned cold. I improvised this Autumn Leaf in F.

https://www.box.com/s/e2skf40aw6jzlt7e1yu8

sounds like the leaves falling down...

#1981890 - 11/02/12 05:37 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
I've been off the grid for a while. Not much playing or posting time. Sigh. Here are a couple of "smooth jazz" experiments that I did a couple of years ago. The first one is Pure Imagination - yes, the Willy Wonka theme song. In this one the piano is used more as the melody instrument and the horns for soloing. Pretty simple, piano-wise. I was going for the true CD 101 flavor of smooth jazz.

The Theme from M*A*S*H (aka Suicide is Painless) is more of a hybrid smooth jazz and swing number. As I recall, this song is a lot harder than it seems because it has a bizarre one bar time change right in the middle of each verse.

Pure Imagination

Theme from M*A*S*H

for pur imagination, I directly thought of Christmas, I don't know why.

For MASH, so cool thumb

#1981892 - 11/02/12 05:38 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
you guys ever go through your old videos on YouTube? I just went through a few of mine.. ewww.. I think they're horrible lol. I'm surprise anybody listens to them haha. I decided to redo one of my old videos. The Mickey Mouse March.. Apparently, in my old version, I didn't even play the last page because it was too hard for me at that time but not no more! I guess it is safe to say, I've improved a little bit in the last 2 years :P

New Version

Old Version if you are interested....it was 2 years ago I put this one up.. I remember putting it up in the piano bar too I think ..ahh I remember that ol' upright piano..

I like both!

#1981895 - 11/02/12 05:40 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: Amaruk
Newman - I can't help falling in love with you
Amazing is all I can say… You have a great and very pure and smooth voice! Your recording quality is excellent too. Thanks for sharing!! What a great start of the bar this is!!!

Weiyan - Autumn
Great piece and it is great that you can improvise like that!

KenJazz - Pure Imagination
Ah… this is great Ken.!!Your tunes have a great warmth to it the way to arrange and play things. It is a true please to listen to your pieces. I always forget that I am not listening to the radio… How long time does it take you pull something like this together? Are these not real persons playing??? I am not familiar with Band In A Box but I assume it is a software that you control via MIDI, or?

KenJazz - M*A*S*H theme
Nostalgia… What a great TV series that was and your performance/arrangement here is equally great. The TV version (original?) is faster but I like it how you slowed down it here too. Great job!!

Ladypayne - Mickey Mouse March Piano
Great performance in both versions! It is great to see this type of comparison. Sometimes it is hard to notice progress but youtube makes this easy.Thanks for sharing!

Here is my video of the month; Yann Tiersen - Coma. This a short piece from the 2003 German movie Good Bye Lenin.

beautiful playing
How did you set the videos sometimes red and green??

#1981899 - 11/02/12 05:44 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
MusicaMusique Offline

Originally Posted By: BillM
Last month I did a song by The Boss, Newman did one this month by the King. Here is one by the Chairman of the Board.

It Was A Very Good Year

wow! sexy!
I love the intro so much, I like this kind of song, the lyric is telling a story. 3hearts

#1981924 - 11/02/12 06:31 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bill - You captured my attention from go to woah. Mesmerising.

#1981943 - 11/02/12 07:24 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BillM~ That was a spectacular rendition, for sure! I always think Frank Sinatra when I hear it. This is undoubtedly one of your best.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1981948 - 11/02/12 07:32 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's a quick take on Stormy Weather combo style, with a few bumps and bruises: https://www.box.com/s/fi41gmrz1u8eanqegcwr

A slightly faster combo version: https://www.box.com/s/nomtjr9ghm1utqj9nocf

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1981977 - 11/02/12 09:23 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Another great job, Bill. It's hard to go wrong with Sinatra.

flickr

#1981981 - 11/02/12 09:29 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Two very nice versions of Stormy Weather, Glen. I like them both. I'm unable to decide which I like better.

Edited by TX-Dennis (11/02/12 09:30 PM)

flickr

#1982022 - 11/03/12 12:09 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Electrokid Offline

Hi everyone. I'm new on here and was wondering about this piano bar. Can anyone post a song? I have been playing for about 5 yrs. but had some major health issues for 4 yrs. and on Nov. 16 it will be my 2 yr. anniversary from a heart and kidney transplant. I had an account here a few years ago before my health issues and remember posting something when I first started for the first or second recital but I forgot my logon info so I have a new id...Thanks...
By the way, enjoyed all the posting on here...very nice playing...

#1982029 - 11/03/12 01:09 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Electrokid]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Electrokid
Nov. 16 it will be my 2 yr. anniversary from a heart and kidney transplant.

shocked

Wow - that's more impressive than any Piano Bar entry! cool

Quote:
Can anyone post a song?

Yep

Think of the ABF monthly Piano Bars like the dank, dirty and dark corner of PianoWorld where us adult learners get a chance to post for everyone what we've managed to wrangle out of the piano on a recording - without criticism or piano snobbery.

It's a place for the unprofessional and amateur adult beginner to share music for those that care to listen. And since we're all in the same boat, it's a really friendly place!

Yeah, some of those that participate are really good - but odds are they started from scratch at some point too. We all get better over time (and the monthly piano bar has been around for a long time!)

If you're willing to record what you've been working on, there are plenty here willing to listen and appreciate the time you've put into this instrument as an adult beginner!

#1982031 - 11/03/12 01:22 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

BillM: Its Was A Very Good Year. I feel the year is sad.

#1982034 - 11/03/12 01:42 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lots of mistakes with this one, especially the ending mad , but I was determined to just record what I could get this day. It is what it is.

#1982037 - 11/03/12 01:49 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

BenPiano: Very nice. Its fluent.

#1982087 - 11/03/12 08:22 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

BillM - The piano work on It Was a Very Good Year was great. Subtle, perfectly executed, the touch was so light. Just what the song calls for. Very impressive.

Inlanding - These cuts of Storm Weather sound awesome! On the first cut, one final verse of the head (melody) and you have a completed project!. On the second one, sandwich what you have between two melody verses and there is another project in the tank. Your improv has so many wonderful chord, linear, and rhythmic elements to it. It is a super sound.

Benpiano - Truce was beautiful. How you can not make a mistake in a piece like that until the very end is beyond me :-) I count my mistakes in how many per measure.

Schimmel 120J

#1982258 - 11/03/12 03:26 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ben~ Truce was very nicely done. A very thought-provoking piece of music.

Thanks Dennis and Ken! I realized the first take was pretty straight-up and the second was a bit further out from the melody, which is why I posted them both. I just did not have enough endurance or forethought to get them in the same run. I am still learning to play with others, so perhaps over the next few months, I'll be able to think through it better and have the endurance in my hands to keep the pace. I really appreciate the encouragement!!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1982320 - 11/03/12 06:36 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Inlanding - usually I'm a sucker for a slow groove arrangement like your first take on Stormy Weather but in this case as awesome as the slow version is, the more upbeat version is a bit awesomer! Nice.

#1982337 - 11/03/12 07:08 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BenPiano]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Benpiano - this sounds like a piece that Monica K might play. Well done- your hands look completely relaxed on the keyboard. You make playing this difficult piece look easy although I'm sure it is not easy.

#1982393 - 11/03/12 09:24 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Glen - I like the swingier second version better myself.
Ben - I liked that. I googled unsuccessfully to find the writer. Who wrote it?

#1982449 - 11/04/12 01:05 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Newman - Wow, you've got an incredibly smooth voice. You've got a good thing going over there! wink

Weiyan
- I can hear the autumn cold in your playing - nice!

KenJazz
- I was grooving along with you while listening to Pure Imagination!

LadyPayne - Wow - the improvement is incredible!

Amaruk - An interesting movie soundtrack piece. I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like you were able to control yourself during the recording, which isn't easy to do! By the way, I like all the camera angles you were able to incorporate into the final cut for your performance. It looks like a lot of work, but really enhances the final production! smile

BillM - It Was a Very Good Performance. I still don't know how you play what you do and sing at the same time. Incredible!

Glen - Amazing - love it!

Edited by BenPiano (11/04/12 01:09 AM)

#1982792 - 11/04/12 09:27 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
I've been listening to the piano bar for a couple months now. I number of times my supper has been really late, as I haven't been able to pull my self away. I think it will be late again tonight. I've wanted to post something, but put it off, waiting to record something with fewer errors---unrealistic of me.

Newman - nice playing and singing. Are you sure you had the flu?

Weiyan - I liked your improv. It is damp and cold and grey here too frown

Kenjazz - both pieces were great.

Ladypayne - thanks for cheering me up smile

Amaruk - I haven't heard it before but I like that piece

Bill M - You make it look easy

Inlanding - Both were good.

Benpiano - Beautiful. It didn't seem to be full of mistakes. Thanks for posting it.

Here is my post. It is an arrangement (or three) of a Scottish fiddle tune (Miss Rae's Strathspey from the William Shepherd 1st Collection).

straight up
https://www.box.com/s/h1o5cp67tyu15z0v8t9s

a little sour
https://www.box.com/s/vxuyc4fm3h4znzwb8hmr

a bit more feeling
https://www.box.com/s/ygzx53ypp718b0604d76

#1982813 - 11/04/12 11:18 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

stumbler: The third arrangement is rather sad. I like it.

#1982857 - 11/05/12 03:51 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: stumbler]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stumbler

Newman - nice playing and singing. Are you sure you had the flu?

I came down with the flu a day or two after the recording. I'm still 'suffering'. Worst flu I've had in years.

As for your piece, the third is definitely the one for me (the sour one was, well, too sour for me.

#1982900 - 11/05/12 08:23 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: stumbler]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

stumbler - I listened to all 3 versions and must say I prefer version 3. You really did play this with feeling. Very good phrasing. Your piano has a full, rich tone.

#1983098 - 11/05/12 03:52 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
stumbler Offline

Thanks, I like #3 best too.

Bill, I really like my DP (roland RD 700NX). I used the studio grand, recorded directly to a USB stick.

#1983234 - 11/05/12 10:53 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Stumbler - three fine renditions. It's great you are able to play them each in a slightly different style with a different intention. Excellent work! #3 works for me best, too!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1983250 - 11/05/12 11:45 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BenPiano]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm new here. Let me know if I'm violating any forum conventions.

Weiyan, you are doing great. I'm glad you are doing these piano bars. You are going to be able to look back in a year and see how much progress you've made. You are going to be able to look back in five years and be amazed. I love both your progress in classical curriculum and your experimentation with improv. I wish I'd done that.

BenPiano, nothing at all to be ashamed of there. So pretty and flowing. No printed music. You've got music flowing right out of you and there were no mistakes worth your worried comments.

#1983467 - 11/06/12 03:04 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
late to the bar...been working a lot because of Sandy...but just finished this short piece...

#1983474 - 11/06/12 03:32 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
Newman: That was so beautiful. What a lovely voice and nice playing too!
Weiyan: It's sounding good! Keep up the good work.
Kenjazz: Really good on both pieces. Wonderful job!
Amaruk: What a another beautiful piece. I like the video edits too.
BillM: Fantastic singing and playing as usual. You have such a nice voice.
Inlanding: Beautiful playing on both arrangements. Very nicely done.
BenPiano: What a lovely piece. You play it so nicely too.
Stumbler: Nice arrangements are on the fiddle tune. They are all very pretty.
Mark: That sounds like a fun short piece. Sounded perfect to me. Nice playing!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1983540 - 11/06/12 06:41 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
stumbler Offline

Mark I enjoyed listening to that.

#1983541 - 11/06/12 06:46 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Mark...]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark... When the video first started I thought you were playing a piano version of the Beatles Blackbird. Turns out I was wrong but it was very well played. What was the piece?

#1983547 - 11/06/12 06:56 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Lullaby by C. Gurlitt Op. 101, No 6

#1983553 - 11/06/12 07:32 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mark... When the video first started I thought you were playing a piano version of the Beatles Blackbird. Turns out I was wrong but it was very well played. What was the piece?

Until you mentioned Blackbird I didn't hear it, but I do hear it in the first few seconds now...good ear Bill.

#1983581 - 11/06/12 10:14 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark - Nicely done. It's almost like two pieces in one.

#1983689 - 11/07/12 07:45 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark~ Your playing is very relaxed and your sense if time is spot-on. I really like that piece. Great playing!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1983707 - 11/07/12 09:20 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

A quick chime in here to applaud the performances in the Bar this month. There has been a lot of activity and great performances after just a week into the month.

A couple of quick mentions;

Really great singing folks, Newman and Bill
Very appropriate timing smile and great renditions of Stormy Weather, Glen
Great video and performance, Amaruk

But, really want to applaud all. I'm interested, listening, and very much enjoying.

So, thanks for the entertainment and great job everyone.

#1984621 - 11/09/12 12:21 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

How about a quick take on Here's That Rainy Day?

Here's That Rainy Day

flickr

#1984792 - 11/09/12 09:25 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

It's a pretty tune, Dennis. In fact, one of the prettiest tunes I know of without a bridge. I really like it.

Oddly enough, your arrangement of this is quite similar to mine.

Funny you know, I've always felt my repertoire was very small -- and it is -- but yet, a high percentage of tunes I hear in the monthly bar line up, I also play.

Who knew ... there would be so many of us all playing the same stuff. It is nice to know and to be in such good company.

Thanks for sharing this Dennis. Nicely done.

#1984803 - 11/09/12 09:55 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
kenjazz Offline

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis

Here's That Rainy Day

Very nice! It is great how you can create dynamics on a solo ballad with slight changes in touch, volume, and phrase intensity. And you did just that. Now for a four minute version...

Schimmel 120J

#1984849 - 11/10/12 12:49 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's That Rainy Day

I'm not familiar with all of these jazz standards - but I could listen to this all night long. smile

#1984903 - 11/10/12 05:01 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX Dennis - soulful piece.

#1984936 - 11/10/12 06:57 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tx-Dennis - A thoughtful and sensitive arrangement and performance. Your Kawai has the right tone for this style of music.

#1985019 - 11/10/12 11:45 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dennis~
Such a fine rendition of Here's That Rainy Day! Very rich harmonies you put into your arrangement. I enjoyed this very much. Thank you for your music

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1985031 - 11/10/12 12:33 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Here's That Rainy Day

Nice...sounds like Charlie Brown sound track...

#1985081 - 11/10/12 03:38 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Recorded this one a little while ago: Leaves on the Seine. This is another one of David Lanz's songs arranged for easy piano (i.e., for me).

#1985119 - 11/10/12 06:18 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

Nice playing, Allard. It is a nice piece and you are playing it very clean. I like it, well done, and nice to have you take the stage. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Here is a tragically sad piece for you all now. This was my Dad's sign-off and theme song, and hence his arrangement. It is quite a pretty piece, or at least can be. So, hope I am doing it somewhat of a justice. At any rate, here is a tune called:

Goodbye

#1985134 - 11/10/12 07:12 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Allard~
Never heard of David Lanz. However, I liked Leaves on the Seine - you are playing pretty relaxed and it shows in your music - great work!

Greener~ Such a sad piece as you say, but it is so great you are playing it as a tribute to your Dad. That speaks volumes about you.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1985192 - 11/11/12 12:06 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

BenPiano, Truce is lovely. I cannot speak to any inaccuracies as I do not know the piece, but it sounds great to me.

flickr

#1985195 - 11/11/12 12:12 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

stumbler, I've not heard this song before. I rather like the straight up version as well as the third take. The middle one is not really my thing. It's a very pretty piece, and you play it nicely.

flickr

#1985196 - 11/11/12 12:15 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mark..., your Gurlitt Lullaby is very well done. A pretty little piece that I have not heard before.

flickr

#1985197 - 11/11/12 12:18 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Allard, I really like what you did with Leaves On The Seine. Very enjoyable.

Edited by TX-Dennis (11/11/12 09:21 PM)

flickr

#1985198 - 11/11/12 12:22 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Jeff, I don't think I've heard Goodbye before. It's very pretty, and what a nice tribute to your Dad.

flickr

#1985231 - 11/11/12 03:57 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Greener - Your dad was a pianist also? (Funny, I'm the only musician in any of my family). Nicely melodic in the most part but I can't say I understand where that trill part comes from at 45 secs and 54 secs.
Allard - a nice tune ... has the ring of a movie theme to it.

#1985263 - 11/11/12 08:00 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX-Dennis: Here's that rainy day
What a great performance! I loved it. It is great that you can play it so relaxed because your playing sounds so natural and very professional! I just which this peice was much longer.

Allard: Leaves on the Seine
Great job! This piece is new to me but I loved it. I like how your fingers are so light and seem to dance to the music! One week to learn? That is amazing!!! I also look forward to hear more from you here in the piano bar.

Greener: Goodbye
Another great performance Greener! It is seems to be quick a tricky arrangement your dad put together... I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Here is my latest piece; Yann Tiersen's Childhood from the German movie 'Good Bye Lenin'. My youngest son helped me out with the intro:

#1985299 - 11/11/12 10:11 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Allard
Recorded this one a little while ago: Leaves on the Seine. This is another one of David Lanz's songs arranged for easy piano (i.e., for me).

Looked harder than easy piano (for me anything over 2 mins is hard lol)...nicely done...

#1985301 - 11/11/12 10:14 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Amaruk

Enjoyed this, love the video production as well...

#1985302 - 11/11/12 10:19 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Greener, interesting piece, although sad at times it jumped to an up beat tempo. Was this in different keys?

#1985320 - 11/11/12 11:14 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Amaruk, such a nice video. It really gives meaning to the piece.

#1985323 - 11/11/12 11:21 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Newman that was excellent! I really enjoyed listening to it this morning. Thanks!!

#1985327 - 11/11/12 11:28 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: MusicaMusique]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
KenJazz - Theme from Mash. How nice to hear that classic again. Interesting how you slowed it down!

Ladypayne very nice. I thought both versions were quite nice but neat to see the comparisons.

#1985334 - 11/11/12 11:46 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Greener - Jeff, this is a very unique form. It must have been very identifiable as a signature sign-off for your Dad. Great job carrying on the tradition!

Allard - Very nice job on Leaves on the Seine. Wonderful accomplishment for the time you put in. The sky is the limit from here! There is a lot of white space on your video. Take a look at the "video master" Aramuk to maybe be more centered on the shot.

Aramuk - That movie keeps paying rich dividends. Another beautiful production. Thanks

Schimmel 120J

#1985339 - 11/11/12 11:52 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nice job on Childhood, Amaruk. Very cool video, too.

flickr

#1985348 - 11/11/12 12:29 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

Nice piece and playing Amaruk, and terrific video effects as always.

Thanks everyone for listening, and nice comments on the Goodbye piece. I hadn't thought of it as a tribute. Rather, just another piece I know. Although it does hold some significance for me.

I can't say I understand where that trill part comes from at 45 secs and 54 secs.

It is just part of the arrangement. Although, I will agree that I think I have a bit of a hard time pulling it off as well as intended. Is this what you mean? Otherwise, it is just a (not sure what it is called chord shake) on Fm7 and then Abmaj7.

#1985365 - 11/11/12 01:20 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Kenjazz, I shot that video to try out my new iPad's camera. It was taken in portrait mode rather than landscape - hence the black on both sides. I'm afraid I don't have the equipment necessary to take a decent shot, though. Just tried my webcam but its microphone is horrible. The webcam software won't read the audio interface, either. And I can't position the iPad anywhere to get a better angle or distance. This is one reason why I haven't recorded any other songs in the last month. Any idea how to make an affordable recording setup?

#1985526 - 11/11/12 09:20 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk - Very fine. That was mesmeric. I'm really enjoying the YT material now and pressed play on your video with great anticipation. I can see why you have devoted so much effort to his work.

(BTW I've been learning Coma. While I can't play it fluently yet I've got all the parts)

I just went to itunes to maybe buy some YT ... but actually prefer your sparser single piano versions.

Edited by Newman (11/11/12 09:43 PM)
Edit Reason: re itunes

#1985528 - 11/11/12 09:24 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Greener]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener
... It is just part of the arrangement. Although, I will agree that I think I have a bit of a hard time pulling it off as well as intended. Is this what you mean? Otherwise, it is just a (not sure what it is called chord shake) on Fm7 and then Abmaj7.

Not quite what I meant. The student/songwriter in me listens to music and tries to understand "where it comes from" in terms of style, structure, anticipating the melody and so on. The chord "shake" (is that what it's called eh?) took me by surprise.

#1985530 - 11/11/12 09:28 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks all for the nice comments on my Childhood video!

I'm afraid I don't have the equipment necessary to take a decent shot, though. Just tried my webcam but its microphone is horrible. The webcam software won't read the audio interface, either. And I can't position the iPad anywhere to get a better angle or distance. This is one reason why I haven't recorded any other songs in the last month. Any idea how to make an affordable recording setup?

Allard, again, I loved performance and for learning this in one week is simply fantastic!! Regarding your set-up, I think if you just tilt your camera (landscape) you should be all set with your ipad. In my video I use two ipod touches (4:th gen) and one ipad (2:nd gen). The ipods are mounted on tripods using $15 adapters (Link). The ipad, which captured the low angle, is sitting on a chair close to the piano. But there are tripod adapters for ipads as well.

Edited by Amaruk (11/11/12 09:29 PM)

#1985538 - 11/11/12 09:42 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Newman, thanks for those kind words! I don't know what it is with Yann Tiersen's music that keeps me coming back for more... I am glad to hear that my piece inspired you to play Coma!

#1985542 - 11/11/12 09:54 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
kenjazz Offline

Kenjazz, I shot that video to try out my new iPad's camera. It was taken in portrait mode rather than landscape - hence the black on both sides. I'm afraid I don't have the equipment necessary to take a decent shot, though. Just tried my webcam but its microphone is horrible. The webcam software won't read the audio interface, either. And I can't position the iPad anywhere to get a better angle or distance. This is one reason why I haven't recorded any other songs in the last month. Any idea how to make an affordable recording setup?

Good feedback from Aramuk on the video. If you just want a good audio recording, a lot of us use those little Zoom recorders. I've heard you can pick an older model up for under a hundred bucks now (mine is an H2 which is as old as the hills). The mixing software is Audacity which is free to download and use. That is a pretty cheap solution!

Schimmel 120J

#1985604 - 11/12/12 04:45 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Thanks for the feedback. smile

The Zoom recorders seem a bit more expensive than what I want to commit to this, but I'll check the local stores if they have any sort of tripod to mount the iPad on. For this video I had the thing balancing against my computer's screen - not exactly safe and stable. laugh

#1985767 - 11/12/12 03:52 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Allard - a very musical and enjoyable performance.

#1985772 - 11/12/12 03:57 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Greener]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Greener - I really liked this one - it has a kind of bluesy swing that is very appealing.

#1985775 - 11/12/12 04:07 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amaruk - first class video production, music selection and performance. You keep raising the bar on yourself.

#1985865 - 11/12/12 07:54 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Before everyone clears out to attend the recital I'd like to do another song. This one has an appropriate title for the Piano Bar although here in Montgomery County, Md. I believe smoking has been banned in bars for a while now.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

#1985921 - 11/12/12 10:19 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX-Dennis: Heres That Rainy Day. Its very good music. Its an Autumn rainy day.

Amaruk: Both the video and the music are impressive.

This is the Bach for this month:

First Lessons in Bach No. 5 March
https://www.box.com/s/yqk4edrymd61r2ze7kli

Thank you for listening and comments.

#1986027 - 11/13/12 07:14 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bill - a Great song. I've always loved this (and Only You, Twilight Time, Great Pretender). PS. I'll be here in the bar a while yet.

#1986040 - 11/13/12 08:08 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

Before everyone clears out to attend the recital I'd like to do another song.

Love it, another classic, Bill. I do not see you though in the recital line up yet. Are you going to be a last minute entry, I hope?

Weiyan, nice job with the Bach. It is coming along nicely. These Bach pieces are terrific I think for finger control, dexterity and precision. I am doing more of them myself as you will see in the recital. I've dragged out an online Metronome as timing control was among one of the bigger issues for me. I highly recommend it now. It takes some getting used to, but it is worth it. You can read more about it here.

http://www.stetina.com/lessons/metronome.html

#1986168 - 11/13/12 01:02 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nice one Bill, you are a machine putting out these songs...

#1986598 - 11/14/12 11:22 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Weiyan]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Weiyan - nice job on the Bach - I admire you for taking on such a challenging piece.

#1986768 - 11/14/12 07:52 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just went to itunes to maybe buy some Yann Tiersen ... but actually prefer your sparser single piano versions.

Now, that was quite the compliment... Thank you Newman for those kind words!

#1986775 - 11/14/12 08:01 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

BillM - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Bill, your performances always have a warmth to them and this piece is no exception. It is a true pleasure to listen to you play and sing here! I had never heard this piece before but I loved it right away. Thanks for sharing!

#1986776 - 11/14/12 08:03 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Weiyan - First Lessons in Bach No. 5 March
Great playing! This piece sounds very difficult and you pulled it off very well. You have advanced quite far in a very short time!! Thanks for sharing.

#1987246 - 11/15/12 08:56 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: MusicaMusique]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My daughter is actually between teachers right now, but here was something my wife recorded from her camera phone. smile

I'm proud to say she has maintained this piece in her repertoire...now if I can only get this talented kid to practice more!! (lol) mad

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1987251 - 11/15/12 09:06 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: ladypayne]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
you guys ever go through your old videos on YouTube?

I do - especially when I'm feeling nostalgic at pieces I can no longer play... frown

Here's one of my favorites from my Joplin repertoire (and from the recital archives). I can still play a few bars of it though. smile

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1987352 - 11/16/12 07:31 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Hello,
unfortunately I had no energy for regulare practising last 2 month due to my job frown I hope it will be better soon. Meantime I have made 2nd recording of Chopin Cantabile in B flat
I think it is slightly better and more "cantabile" hopefully smile than the first version. What do think about it, please?

Pavel

#1987469 - 11/16/12 01:05 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Not exactly piano bar material. But I think it's interesting to see since this is my very first song tutorial and the very first tutorial in which I actually speak as opposed to using subtitles to explain everything.

Recitals:

#1987482 - 11/16/12 01:43 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Speaking on video is scary, isn't it.

#1987483 - 11/16/12 01:47 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Speaking on video is scary, isn't it.

Not scary but difficult to organize your statements... Half the time I wasn't sure what was going to come out of my mouth laugh

Recitals:

#1987663 - 11/16/12 11:56 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, the flu has gone (thank goodness).

I was messing around with this one (while I couldn't sing)and somehow stumbled on my own "arrangement" for it. I'm not sure exactly how it happened ... all of a sudden it was there.

Imagine

I kinda like it (hope others do too).

This was the easiest song to date for me to record I managed it in 'only' 12 takes. I wonder how many takes others need to get a passable one?

#1987666 - 11/17/12 12:11 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Teodor - interesting ... but why not simply post you performing the whole song? I can hear a good voice being held back as you work through the song.

Weiyan - You certainly try all sorts of music. Much more than I would attempt.

CebuKid - nicely done.

PavelK - wow, that was short. I found the phrase at 0:29-0:33 secs very modern sounding - even a little Randy Newman. Chopin was before his time!

#1987946 - 11/17/12 07:50 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

CebuKid
Great performance! Reminds me of silent movies!

Pavel
Lovely! Chopin music is fantastic.

Teodor
Yes, speaking on camera is red dot times one hundred… Great tutorial!

Newman
Wow is all I can say Newman… Your singing is out of this world good!!! I have never heard a cover with a voice that comes this close to Lennon's original. Please pick more Lennon material and share with us here as you are a true star!!

#1987947 - 11/17/12 07:53 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: MusicaMusique]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MusicaMusique

beautiful playing
How did you set the videos sometimes red and green??

Thanks! I use color filters in my video editor to create these effects.

#1987950 - 11/17/12 08:02 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

While I am listening to Lennon.... oops... I mean Newman sing Imagine for the third time I'll share one more piece that I recorded last night. This piece is also from my 'Good Bye Lenin' series of Yann Tiersen covers. For some reason this piece was removed from the latest version of the soundtrack CD for this movie.

#1988032 - 11/18/12 04:36 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Amaruk Mmm I like that too. Could be another good one for me to learn.

Thanks for the compliments ... you are very kind. I'll find another Lennon one to do for you.

#1988558 - 11/19/12 01:54 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: CebuKid]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CebuKid
My daughter is actually between teachers right now, but here was something my wife recorded from her camera phone. smile

I'm proud to say she has maintained this piece in her repertoire...now if I can only get this talented kid to practice more!! (lol) mad

Well done...I wish I could get my son to play.

Your Joplin was excellent...I love You tube as a way to hold onto pieces that I elect not to maintain.

#1988610 - 11/19/12 04:45 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Allard Offline

Mr Super Hunky mentioned Cristofori's Dream on the recital discussion thread. I had tried learning the song some eight months ago, my second real song, after To Zanarkand, but found it too challenging beyond page 4 (of 9). I couldn't manage the octaves, 10-wide broken chords or even reading notes above and below the lines. So I shelved it.

My easy piano book has a simplified version. Too much so: the broken chords so characteristic of the song were replaces by two-note blocks, octaves replaced by single notes in the melody, and the middle part much shortened. I restored the chords to sound more like the original but left the short middle part alone. It sounds something like this now:

#1989732 - 11/22/12 10:43 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
KarelG Offline

Huh, well, I guess everybody has already left November's piano bar so I can sit down and play some of practice pieces. :-) This one is called Out-of-tune piano and it was written by Emil Hradecky just for beginner players like myself. It's available in his A little jazz album book. In my performance I'm afraid of not enough tempo (should be faster), instability of tempo (still learning) and 2 wrong hits, but posting this anyway to share something after a year with piano -- more or less live recording of part of practise session rather than a specially crafter performance for recital.
Recording is done on Motorola Droid 3 with RecForge Lite application so the sound is neither the best...

https://www.box.com/s/a7gv4sphenpj87vvy2ec

Karel

Edited by KarelG (11/22/12 11:10 AM)

#1989809 - 11/22/12 02:09 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm Yes, its seems we've been abandoned!

#1989811 - 11/22/12 02:26 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
KarelG Offline

Newman -- very nice smooth playing and nice singing. Pleasure the hear.

#1990116 - 11/23/12 05:44 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've been slightly out of commission these past few weeks, but I wanted to comment on some of these fantastic Piano Bar submissions before too much time went by.

BillM~ I like your version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes very much. The accompaniment is spot-on and your voice control with this song is wonderful. This is now added to another one of your keepers!

Weiyan~ You are developing some good finger control as demonstrated in your Bach playing. Look forward to hearing it once you get it up to speed and steady tempo.

Cebukid's daughter~ played Schumann excellently. The trading of the left and right hand melody lines are really well done. Bravo!

Cebukid~ Weeping Willow Rag is fantastic! You keep the upbeat and down beat going so very well. What a joy to hear. It is clear from the sound you are enjoying playing the piece - almost as much as I enjoyed hearing it!

Pavel~ Thank you for your Chopin. You picked a beautiful melody and play it superbly.

Teodor~ Thanks for the tutorial. I am much more interested in hearing you perform the song in its entirety. Your voice is very musical sounding.

Newman~ Your accompaniments are getting much richer and more refined. Your voice fits, Imagine, perfectly. Your growing confidence shows with each submission. I really like this skill of accompanying yourself as you sing - fantastic!

Amaruk~ Your enthusiasm for Yanni Tiersen shows in all you play. You have a fine connection to his music and play it very expressively. I really enjoy it.

Allard~ Never heard of David Lanz. You play your version quite nicely. It sounds as though you are really connecting with the music's dark intent.

Karel~ Fine work on the slow blues tune. Really good work after only a year? Fabulous, indeed. Look forward to hearing more.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#1990237 - 11/24/12 08:33 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Pavel.K Offline

Glen, Amaruk, Newman, thanks a lot for you comments and listening smile
I became Chopin addict..I have to listen Chopin's music every day. Now I am learning the easiest Nocturne - no.21 C minor posth. Hoping to be able to make solid recording till the end of the year . It would be nice end of my 1st year piano learning. smile

#1990249 - 11/24/12 08:52 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: CebuKid]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

CebuKid - You must by very proud of your daughter - she is a chip off the old block. How wonderful to share your love of piano with her.

#1990252 - 11/24/12 08:58 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: CebuKid]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

CebuKid - I am glad you are maintaining this Joplin piece - a real crowd pleaser. Your piano on this one has the perfect tone - kind of honky tonk although I don't remember it normally sounding this trebly. Did you do something to the audio to give it that sound?

#1990255 - 11/24/12 09:03 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Newman - kind of cool what you did to the piano accompaniment on Imagine. I love this song, in fact I also covered it in a recent recital. Love your vocal. This has a slight country flair to it that is quite different and fun. Very creative!

#1990257 - 11/24/12 09:09 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Amaruk]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amaruk - You got so much emotion out of this short piece - very well played, as usual.

#1990258 - 11/24/12 09:13 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Allard]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Allared - I do think I have heard this done in an earlier recital. You play this quite nicly with good balance between the left and right hands. Your piano has a pleasing tone in the higher registers.

#1990281 - 11/24/12 11:00 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
kenjazz Offline

Imagine

I kinda like it (hope others do too).

Newman-

The recital has been sucking the commenting energy out the second part of the November piano bar. But I must comment on what a nice job you did on the vocals for Imagine. The best piano comping job for a vocalist on this song ever (IMO)is by a guy named Mike Orta for a singer named Nicole Henry. Just gorgeous, but not ridiculously inaccessible. Check it out. I've always wanted to do a purely instrumental version based on the way that he does the comping, but I never got around to it. Really nice job!

Schimmel 120J

#1991386 - 11/27/12 08:59 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Greener Offline

Hmm Yes, its seems we've been abandoned!

Not abandoned ... however a greater focus (for me) has been placed on the recitalists this month, and the November Bar has been a lot to keep up with, in addition to this. But, I am listening to all and very appreciative of the fine playing, and playing/singing entries from everyone. So another group applaud, if that is ok.

Plus, getting some Christmas stuff polished for you all, as I know you are all getting pumped for Christmas carols. But, will spare you for now and save for the December bar smile .

#1991754 - 11/27/12 11:28 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've been so busy the last few months I haven't even had time to play the piano! I even had to quit my piano lessons a few months ago. I finally have a few minutes to listen to some of the piano bar!:)
Newman- I was just expecting to hear the piano on this song Then came your beautiful voice Wonderfully done!:P:P
Weiyan- pretty Nicely done
KenJazz- Pure Imagination- Great!:)
Theme from Mash: Another song well played
LadyPayne- Mickey Mouse March: I love this song!:) Awesome!!
Amaruk: Yann Tiersen- Coma: I loved the video! Very pretty song.
Bill: It was a very good year- This was a very relaxing song to listen to, and I love listening to you sing:)

Edited by Augustina (11/27/12 11:29 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#1991793 - 11/28/12 02:01 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: kenjazz]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
[quote=Newman]

The recital has been sucking the commenting energy out the second part of the November piano bar. ...

Yes, I understand. I looked into the last recital but found it too overwhelming to listen to it all. For me the pace of the Piano Bar is much easier to handle. and thanks for the feedback.

#1991794 - 11/28/12 02:02 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Inlanding]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
Newman~ Your accompaniments are getting much richer and more refined. ...

Glen

Do you think so? Thanks. Lately I've found it hard to hear me progress ... but maybe I am.

#1991795 - 11/28/12 02:05 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Newman - kind of cool what you did to the piano accompaniment on Imagine. ...

Thanks Bill. Yes, I was working on the original arrangement with the little run and could play it but was noodling around as usual and stumbled on the chord pattern.

#1992025 - 11/28/12 04:11 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Recitals:

#1992119 - 11/28/12 07:47 PM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Newman]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Teodor, nice playing....but your recording is being disrupted by pedaling noise. It would sound much better if you adjusted your mic or camera position.

I recently had this issue and worked it out by moving my video camera and my microphone around. Experiment, it will clean up your nice playing...

#1992665 - 11/30/12 02:13 AM Re: November Piano Bar [Re: Mark...]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Teodor - a curious little piece. As you may have read me note before, I don't understand classical music in the way Iunderstand pop music - and this had me baffled.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Forum Stats
77064 Members
42 Forums
159384 Topics
2341293 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission