Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1980886 - 10/31/12 10:32 AM Piano curse?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I now have access to a Bechstein grand piano. Its a massive 8ft thing. I can use it till March. I might have access from March to May a Steinway.

It has a wonderfully light touch and an incredibly rich sound.

To compare my CDP feels so inadequate.

Seeing as Casio/Yam will never make a DP with a touch and sound as nice as a Bechstein grand. Nor can I ever afford a Bechstein grand piano either.

Am I now cursed to a life of comparatively inadequate pianos?

Edited by justpin (10/31/12 10:35 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1980963 - 10/31/12 02:20 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Maybe a good time to look at the doughnut instead of the hole? Enjoy that Bechstein while you can!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1980978 - 10/31/12 02:52 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
Our church organist has a Steinway grand, and i have an open invitation. But as you say, i think it's only going to give me the fever.

#1980992 - 10/31/12 03:33 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
look at the doughnut instead of the hole
I love that; I think it's going to be my new mantra! smile

I'd be so down with the loan on that Bechstein...no matter how short a time.

#1981003 - 10/31/12 04:24 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
8ft Bechstein? What a luck! Enjoy it every moment and don't stress yourself with the fact that such fairy tail is going to end sometime...Relax and play, just nothing more's needed.

#1981018 - 10/31/12 05:25 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Stryder87 Offline
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013

Loc: New Westminster, BC Canada
I faced the same problem. I have my little Yamaha DGX-640, but had the opportunity to play a beautiful Fazioli and a C. Bechstein, both concert grands over seven feet long. It was more than a night/day difference. I didn’t touch my piano for 2 days because I knew I’d be terribly disappointed with mine after playing those beauties. It took a lot of mental discipline and reminding myself that what I own is still more than what I need right now. I certainly don’t play beyond what I own yet, so I’m still satisfied with it. Not that I wouldn’t love one of those other ones!! I mean… they even made me sound good! thumb

Being on very good terms with the sales lady, I can go visit her and play the latest Fazioli or C. Bechstein she has in stock whenever I want, and still be at peace with the dramatic difference between what I own and those pieces of art. Joy! grin

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.

#1981034 - 10/31/12 06:05 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: justpin

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't believe you need a high end grand in order to have that musical transcendental experience. It can happen on a more modest instrument. It has to be an acoustic piano though.

#1981057 - 10/31/12 06:48 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Seize the piano...

Music is my best friend.

#1981068 - 10/31/12 07:02 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA

What about all the other, and much less expensive, grand pianos? Once you start to explore them I am sure you will easily find something that is not "inadequate". I have a lower end AP myself and I am very happy with it.

#1981096 - 10/31/12 08:05 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Would you rather not play such a beautiful instrument at all? I think not wink

#1981141 - 10/31/12 10:03 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
I have never played a grand - must be awesome! I like your Murray Perahia quote Bob! He is right! I have a CD of him playing Chopin's etudes- he is great.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1981154 - 10/31/12 10:28 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

Not in my opinion. And sorry to poop on anyone's parade. But I don't see what all the hype is about for these behemoth grands.

Of course they are great instruments and are amazing for filling a room with sound. But for playing? The sound seems so far away and not right at you at all. Takes some getting used to. Personally I don't prefer it. For a home setting, unless I had a really big room, plus the moolah of course -- and do not on both counts, -- I think I'd be quite happy with a good quality upright. Much better quality than I have at the moment mind you.

#1981249 - 11/01/12 07:53 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I now have access to a Bechstein grand piano. Its a massive 8ft thing. I can use it till March. I might have access from March to May a Steinway.

It has a wonderfully light touch and an incredibly rich sound.

Seeing as Casio/Yam will never make a DP with a touch and sound as nice as a Bechstein grand. Nor can I ever afford a Bechstein grand piano either.

When I was in college, I had access to a 9' Steinway. In the years since, I have largely been confined to a keyboard. It sucks. I can't lie to you and tell you everything will be fine, or that keyboards are awesome. Enjoy the piano while you can, and then hopefully someday you'll be able to afford the high-priced ticket.

#1981601 - 11/02/12 03:30 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Cursed? You're blessed. Be grateful, Privileged One. You're obviously in a situation where good pianos happen and will probably happen again. I'm 59 and I've never been within sight of a Bechstein or caught more than an all too fleeting glimpse of an ancient Steinway.

#1991822 - 11/28/12 05:08 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

cry

The dream is over!

cry

Access has been denied forever.

I was wondering why the room had been locked, and spoke to the director about it. Somebody has vandalised the piano badly and they aren't going to repair it. It pains me to write about it, but there is damage all over it and its now just an ornament.

How could they? cry

#1991824 - 11/28/12 05:29 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
cry

The dream is over!

cry

I was wondering why the room had been locked, and spoke to the director about it. Somebody has vandalised the piano badly and they aren't going to repair it. It pains me to write about it, but there is damage all over it and its now just an ornament.

How could they? cry

That's just sickening.
Where does anyone get off thinking they can damage other people's property?

#1991828 - 11/28/12 06:02 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Oh no, that's terrible news frown

There was no camera/watch over the expensive instrument?

#1991835 - 11/28/12 06:57 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is worse than just an attack on property--more like sacrilege! I'm really sorry to hear it.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1992044 - 11/28/12 04:57 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
That is really sad news. I do hope the responsible party is found and held responsible.

I wish the door had been locked before the damage occurred...

#1992055 - 11/28/12 05:20 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

cry

The dream is over!

cry

How could they? cry

How could anyone vandalise a PIANO?!!! That is totally appalling. I'm upset to read this. A beautiful instrument silenced. DISGRACEFUL. cursing

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1992066 - 11/28/12 05:35 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
There is something really wrong with people who do that. Sorry to hear about this! Such a shame...

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1992079 - 11/28/12 05:58 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: JeanieA]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
About the smashed piano - When I was 7, my adopted brother arrived in my father's truck. My father went to a big city to pick the kid up. What I remember being told was that he was malnourished. His legs were very thin and weak. I was told every word out of his mouth was a swear word. He was 4 years old. I soon learned that he would pull out all his eyelashes if he was unhappy about something. He told my mother that she could hit him or break his arm but he would not do anyting he didn't want to do. When I was a teenage, I got a transistor radio. A some point he smashed the transistor radio to pieces. I am not sure why. In his teens he carved his name into his arm as a tattoo. He always said he would marry rich women and both his wives were rich. When he was married to his first wife he punched a concrete wall and broke his arm. Later he became addicted to some drug and eventually he committed suicide at about 50. I left home to go to college when he was 16 so I don't really know about his life. But I tell you this to give you an idea of what kind of people would break or destroy a piano. I was adopted as a baby as opposed to 4 years old - and I had an awesome life.

About the piano - Lang Lang could play your digital piano or any piano and it would sound awesome. Why? - because a master has the facility to do what is necessary to make it happen. I have a secondhand acoustic grand yamaha and am humbled by its presence. Sure it sounds good, but when I use the same phrasing the cheap digital sounds good, too. I am just a beginner and am happy to practice or play on any piano - especially after midnight. I remember not so long ago when digtal pianos didn't exit and the steinways and all acoustic
pianos were silent after 8:00 p.m. if you live in or close to others who could hear the piano.

I only wished the price of the piano is what makes the quality of my playing sound better. A wrong note on any piano sounds the same.

#1992138 - 11/28/12 08:44 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm wondering now if that decision not to repair the piano is irrevocable. Of course it depends on what the damage is, but 8-foot Bechsteins are not so easy to come by, and I can't help wondering whether it could be repaired. A situation like this might even be a good occasion for fundraising to cover the costs. Nobody wants the vandals to win.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1992231 - 11/29/12 12:36 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: Michael_99]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
About the piano - Lang Lang could play your digital piano or any piano and it would sound awesome.

Yes, but would he still make his ridiculous gyrations? f

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1992668 - 11/30/12 02:18 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
cry cry cry The offender should be sentenced to a minimum of 12 months of community work. mad mad mad

Music is my best friend.

#1992670 - 11/30/12 02:35 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: ChopinAddict]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
cry cry cry The offender should be sentenced to a minimum of 12 months of community work. mad mad mad

How about 20 to life on the rock pile?

(If I weren't opposed to capitol punishment on principle - - -)

#1993000 - 11/30/12 09:36 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: -Frycek]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
How about 20 to life on the rock pile?

(If I weren't opposed to capitol punishment on principle - - -)

But that's not capital punishment... Capital punishment would be dropping the thing on the offender's head (capital in two senses in that case).

My preferred punishment would be to require restitution. Once repaired, put the piano in a soundproof room, then force the offender to watch in silence from the outside as Lang Lang plays. He would have to watch endless gymnastics and gyrations, without getting the benefit of actually hearing anything.

The only thing I can think of that's actually worse than watching Lang Lang play would be to just watch him. grin

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1993157 - 12/01/12 11:11 AM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If they're not going to repair it, maybe you could offer to take it off their hands. I have no idea what it'd cost you to eventually get it repaired, but probably less than buying a new one.

#1993283 - 12/01/12 05:13 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
My preferred punishment would be to require restitution. Once repaired, put the piano in a soundproof room, then force the offender to watch in silence from the outside as Lang Lang plays. He would have to watch endless gymnastics and gyrations, without getting the benefit of actually hearing anything.

The only thing I can think of that's actually worse than watching Lang Lang play would be to just watch him. grin

Ah no! Lang Lang is brilliant- I love watching him play on the you tube videos and BBC concerts.

A real punishment would be Barry Manilow!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (12/01/12 05:14 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1993289 - 12/01/12 05:21 PM Re: Piano curse? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was thinking this, but I don't have space for a concert grand.

The bigger problem is how on earth I would get out of there. Without knocking a wall out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (AndrewJCW, amv256, AZ_Astro, Banzai_Ed, Aucha, 24 invisible), 1412 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156876 Topics
2305094 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does a composer/songwriter learn piano chords?
by amv256
08/22/14 09:49 PM
The Chair
by Brinestone
08/22/14 09:44 PM
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
08/22/14 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
08/22/14 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
08/22/14 06:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission