Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
99 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1227 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1980778 - 10/31/12 12:59 AM why not HS for sight reading
drazh Offline

hi
HS practice is a wll known practice method and it is really helpful. but why not in sight reading practice because even some advanced pianist have sight reading problem but no one suggest HS practice?
I suggest practicing with right hand to master (of course the pieces level should not be higher than our level)
then left hand to master
then HT
thank you

Edited by drazh (10/31/12 01:01 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1980780 - 10/31/12 01:03 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Originally Posted By: drazh
hi
HS practice is a wll known practice method and it is really helpful. but why not in sight reading practice because even some advanced pianist have sight reading problem but no one suggest HS practice?
I suggest practicing with right hand to master (of course the pieces level should not be higher than our level)
then left hand to master
then HT
thank you
Because when you need to 'really' sight-read, aka for a job or to perform for people etc, you aren't going to be playing the song a few times through.

Sight-reading hands together IS the skill you need.

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1980814 - 10/31/12 05:26 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: kayvee]
drazh Offline

but if cant sight read with one hand HT will be impossible
thank you

#1980844 - 10/31/12 08:20 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Oongawa Offline

Correct. If you can't play it HS then you can't play it HT either.
But if that is the situation, then the music you are trying to sight read is too difficult.

My teacher works with me on this and says that the material for sight reading should be a grade or so down from the music you're working on.

Try backing down on the complexity of what you're trying to sight read.

'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#1980894 - 10/31/12 10:58 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: Oongawa]
drazh Offline

Yes you are right but compare it to technical piano practice
then hs sight reading is reasonable
thank you

#1980903 - 10/31/12 11:59 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Oongawa Offline

I'm sorry, I guess I don't get your point.

I would consider sight reading and technical piano practice to be two different things, and so I'd be inclined to take different approaches to them.

Maybe you could clarify your original question? I thought you were wondering why we wouldn't use HS for sight reading?

#1980904 - 10/31/12 12:00 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
In one of the books I've read (I think Super Sight Reading Secrets or something like that) he advocates throwing in various exercises including sight reading HS. But in that case you go faster than normal tempo.

As has been said, the basic thing to do most of the time is to use material that is simple enough you can play with both hands.

Kawai K3

#1980930 - 10/31/12 01:11 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: Oongawa]
drazh Offline

Originally Posted By: Oongawa
I'm sorry, I guess I don't get your point.

I would consider sight reading and technical piano practice to be two different things, and so I'd be inclined to take different approaches to them.

Maybe you could clarify your original question? I thought you were wondering why we wouldn't use HS for sight reading?

yes i was wondering why nobody recommend hs sight reading but i think that is logical

#1980931 - 10/31/12 01:14 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
HS as a way to sometimes PRACTICE elements of sight-reading in preparation for actual sight-reading in other situations doesn't seem unreasonable to me (although I think you need to identify a specific problem that HS sight-reading is supposed to solve--perhaps reading bass clef more easily or some such thing). However, it doesn't make sense to me as the predominant practice method.

Of course, I don't think HS is desirable as a predominant method of regular practice either. For me, HS has some utility for dealing with specific problems but shouldn't dominate your practice routine no matter what you are learning.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1980943 - 10/31/12 01:36 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
kayvee Offline

Originally Posted By: drazh
yes i was wondering why nobody recommend hs sight reading but i think that is logical
STOP JUST REPEATING YOURSELF. Jeez, add some substance with your posts. Give examples, situations, explanation - SOMETHING. All of your posts have been just like this.

HS sight-reading is not sight-reading. It's HS sight-reading. If someone is going to pay me to assist in a ballet class or vocal auditions or anything else and I don't have access to the music before hand, I can't turn to the performers and say "Just give me a few minutes to play each part hands separately!"

I'd be expected to go at it and get it (mostly) right - hands-together. As mentioned above, make sure the music you are sight-reading is BELOW your level. Sight-reading something incredibly slowly because it is too difficult isn't sight-reading either, because you'll surely be stopping and changing rhythm and adding all kinds of weird musical inconsistencies.

Sight-reading is about keeping the beat, getting most of the important parts of the harmony and melody, and never stopping. You can alter the music if it makes it easier (drop an octave, change the accompaniment a bit, etc). These are the skills that need to be practiced. It has almost nothing to do with hands separate vs hands together.

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:

#1980950 - 10/31/12 01:53 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think something is missing here. The first goal is to learn to READ music. What we want to be able to do as students is probably to have a handle on the notes so that we are not lost. It is also useful to be able to go through a brand new piece - slowly if need be - so that you can get a feel of what the piece is about before starting it, or to skim over a section quickly like when you take a glance at your written work, and know what you need to do next.

When we try to get basic skills we tend to look in these fora, and the first thing we read is about "sight reading". We get the definition that KayVee has given a few times, and then we think that this is what we "should" do. Before even embarking on it, first see what this is about. "Sight reading" is a specialized skill needed by accompanists who have to play brand new pieces dropped in their lap at tempo. If you are accompanying a choir or soloist in a rehearsal, you can't tell them to wait for you. Therefore you learn to stay in tempo, improvise a bit if you have to, drop a note here and there, know which note is essential etc. We don't need these skills as beginners.

So you are RIGHT about wanting to do things like HS, and you might want to not go at tempo, not only go through a piece or section once- for the purpose of getting READING skills. The confusion comes because the word "sight reading" is used all the time. You may not want to get that specialized skill at this stage, and that is probably a good instinct.

#1980960 - 10/31/12 02:14 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Personally, I think HS is only beneficial for note recognition. Once you can play all the correct notes in each individual hand, reading rhythms is best done HT. That's why most teachers will start students by reading pieces that have only 1 note per hand. The more notes you have to play at the same time, the harder it is to recognize all of them together. Once note recognition is mastered, IMO there is no reason to continue with HS.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#1980965 - 10/31/12 02:23 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
keystring Offline

Brian, how about "Use the approach that is needed for this thing at this time at this stage", whatever that approach may be?

#1980968 - 10/31/12 02:28 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: Brian Lucas]
Oongawa Offline

Here is one thing that I do HS for. When I have a couple of measures of something that I just can't get, I play just that measure - over and over and over consecutively - like dozens of times.

This seems to help me build the muscle memory. Then I back up and do the previous measure with it, over and over. This seems to help me a lot.

So for me, that's a useful thing for HS. But I don't do much HS stuff, except for unwinding items that are particularly complex for me.

But if I'm working on sight reading, generally, it is something simple and I try to do both hands together.

#1980974 - 10/31/12 02:37 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: Oongawa]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Brian, how about "Use the approach that is needed for this thing at this time at this stage", whatever that approach may be?
Yeah, that makes sense. Every time you make a rule, there does always seem to be plenty of exceptions, based on the specific example. I guess I was talking more in general terms to answer the OP's question.
Originally Posted By: Oongawa
This seems to help me build the muscle memory. Then I back up and do the previous measure with it, over and over. This seems to help me a lot.
Yes, that can be true, especially for difficult passages. But don't be surprised if after adding the other hand that muscle memory becomes less reliable. Especially if the rhythms are drastically different in each hand, quite often playing in one hand disrupts what you mastered in the other.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#1980976 - 10/31/12 02:48 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Just to clarify, a question for the OP:

Are you sure that you understand the difference between sight reading (as in priva vista) vs. simply reading music?

neglected piano blog

#1980990 - 10/31/12 03:32 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: tangleweeds]
drazh Offline

Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
Just to clarify, a question for the OP:

Are you sure that you understand the difference between sight reading (as in priva vista) vs. simply reading music?

Yes my goal is prima vista

#1981099 - 10/31/12 08:12 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Here's an example of why this doesn't actually work. I can sight-read with one hand (by this I obviously mean just one part) pieces of about level 4. I can't, however, sight-read hands together pieces of level 1. Argument settled.

While your "logic" may not necessarily be flawed in isolation, the fact of the matter is it negligibly ignores the fact that you will almost never encounter passages while actually sight-reading that involve playing with just one hand. As such, practicing with one hand is silly and impractical.

Edited by Bobpickle (10/31/12 08:13 PM)

#1981148 - 10/31/12 10:16 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: keystring]
kayvee Offline

So you are RIGHT about wanting to do things like HS, and you might want to not go at tempo, not only go through a piece or section once- for the purpose of getting READING skills. The confusion comes because the word "sight reading" is used all the time. You may not want to get that specialized skill at this stage, and that is probably a good instinct.

I think it's a good thing you made this distinction, but I don't think it's wise to tell people they shouldn't learn to sight-read (as in, prima vista) right away. I had all of my students learn to sight-read as they were learning to read. All methods emphasize this now. All my teachers have emphasized this. All the books I've read have emphasized this. And, to be honest, it just seems so obvious to me.

Pick up a copy of 'Four Star Introductory Level' - that stuff is SO EASY EVEN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T PLAY CAN DO IT. But it's still prima vista reading. And it helps. And it will make you one heck of a sight-reader.

#1981187 - 11/01/12 01:16 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: kayvee]
drazh Offline

hi
thanks for reply
so all of you guys think it is a waste of time. or at least dont recommend it.
but have you ever tried that before?
or heard about that?

#1981192 - 11/01/12 01:41 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: kayvee]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: kayvee

... I don't think it's wise to tell people they shouldn't learn to sight-read (as in, prima vista) right away. . ...

I agree. It's not wise to tell people what they should not or should do. What we can do is tell them some of the things that reading entails, what kinds of skills a pianist is aiming for, what is used where. Then people will make intelligent decisions.

#1981199 - 11/01/12 02:01 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: keystring]
kayvee Offline

... I don't think it's wise to tell people they shouldn't learn to sight-read (as in, prima vista) right away. . ...

I agree. It's not wise to tell people what they should not or should do. What we can do is tell them some of the things that reading entails, what kinds of skills a pianist is aiming for, what is used where. Then people will make intelligent decisions.
Dangerous assumption!! laugh

#1981288 - 11/01/12 10:05 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: kayvee]
keystring Offline

Dangerous assumption!! laugh

I'll reword that. It is more likely that people will make good decisions, if they have some knowledge about a matter, than if they have no knowledge about it. "Intelligent decisions" here means that the person has some information that he can weigh, and does weigh it.

This is an Internet forum. The ideal is consultation or working with an excellent teacher or knowledgeable musician one-on-one in person. That is not the reality here. In the least, then, the more information that the men and women in this forum have, the more likely they are to make intelligent decisions.

You are aware, of course, that I was agreeing with your statement that members should not be told what they should do. I added to your statement with the idea that must follow, that having information will allow them to decide what to do without being told what they should do. Most of the members of this forum appear to weigh information carefully. It's often said that PW members are not the "average" person, by the very fact that they do seek more knowledge.

#1984321 - 11/08/12 07:04 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: kayvee]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Pick up a copy of 'Four Star Introductory Level' - that stuff is SO EASY EVEN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T PLAY CAN DO IT. But it's still prima vista reading. And it helps. And it will make you one heck of a sight-reader.

I was not able to find this via Google search. What is it exactly?

#1984330 - 11/08/12 07:21 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Bobpickle Offline

#1984352 - 11/08/12 08:37 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: Bobpickle]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks... onto the Wish List it goes!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1984384 - 11/08/12 09:45 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Forgive my beginner's ignorance- but what is prima vista?

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984405 - 11/08/12 10:52 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
From The Harvard Dictionary of Music (4th ed.):

Prima vista [It.]. At first sight, i.e., sight-reading.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1984410 - 11/08/12 11:28 PM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
To expand on packa's response, prima vista sight reading means concurrently reading and playing written music which you've never seen before. When you've read and played the music before, reading it from is simply called reading music, not "sight reading".

That said, often "sight reading" is colloquially used to mean reading music while you play it, even if you've seen the music before. But that's not how the term "sight reading" is used in piano pedagogy literature, and it's generally not used that way that around here either.

But sometimes people will explicitly add "prima vista" when they say "sight reading", just to make sure that everyone is on the same page, so nobody is confused by thinking we're talking about "reading music" instad of (prima vista) "sight reading".

Did that clarify, or just confuse more?

neglected piano blog

#1984465 - 11/09/12 02:49 AM Re: why not HS for sight reading [Re: drazh]
Bobpickle Offline

"reading" can mean:

1)reading and playing without ever having seen the piece
2)reading and playing having seen the piece (the fingering and motions of the hands are memorized, but not necessarily the notes)

"prima-vista sight-reading" only means:

1)reading and playing without ever having seen the piece

Edited by Bobpickle (11/10/12 03:28 AM)
Edit Reason: zrtf's correction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
Today at 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
Yesterday at 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission