2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
OP Offline
Because I didn't learn my lesson the last time wink , I submit for your approval:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lmFh_jVX0A&feature=g-vrec

All I can say is... holy crap! The overwhelming impression I get is a carnival inside an asylum! whome

The speed blows my mind... and it still sounds good too! I'm not very familiar with his work so I have to ask... is this what Liszt always sounds like? If so, I think he had issues! ha

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
There are a lot of folks that play it faster. (not that they should) Valentina Lisitsa's recent performance at (Albert?) Hall is remarkably faster.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Damon
There are a lot of folks that play it faster. (not that they should) Valentina Lisitsa's recent performance at (Albert?) Hall is remarkably faster.

Doesn't change the fact that those are still some pretty fast fingers! grin

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Nice interpretation. I didn't agree with all the tempo changes, but she pulled it off well.

If you want to hear another version, try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0U73NRSIkw
This is the fastest and one of the best performances of this particular piece that I have ever heard. Evgeny Kissin in 1997 at Proms.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Derulux
If you want to hear another version, try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0U73NRSIkw
This is the fastest and one of the best performances of this particular piece that I have ever heard. Evgeny Kissin in 1997 at Proms.

That guy is inhuman. And it still sounds like a carnival in an asylum to me. ha

I saw him in another video I watched a while back. I thought he was an actor! It would seem my original impression was a little bit in error. smile I think it's the crazy hair that caused my initial impression. Funny thing though... that video has the same feel to it as the other one of his I'd seen, like it was set way back. If that was from 1997 it sure feels like it's from a movie and not a real performance. It must be the type of film they were using when they filmed it.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah, his hair is absolutely crazy. I think he's like a modern-day Sampson.. as long as he doesn't cut his hair, he'll be able to play like that. haha laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yeah, his hair is absolutely crazy. I think he's like a modern-day Sampson.. as long as he doesn't cut his hair, he'll be able to play like that. haha laugh

lol

Another Liszt warhorse: Youtube.com

Fastest I've ever heard it played, maybe even faster than the crazy Mei-ting Sun recording.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Stryder87
[...]And it still sounds like a carnival in an asylum to me. [...]

[...]that video has the same feel [...]like it was set way back. If that was from 1997 it sure feels like it's from a movie and not a real performance. It must be the type of film they were using when they filmed it.

I have no idea what much of this really means, nor why anyone would have the impression that it's not a real performance.

Those strange Canadians, eh ... Oh! Yeah, right!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict

Fastest I've ever heard it played, maybe even faster than the crazy Mei-ting Sun recording.

That was a wonderful performance, especially considering the age of the pianist (and possibly relative size of his hands). I have never attempted this one, but I do think it's the hardest of the 12.

With Liszt, you can almost always count on Berezovsky to post a "fastest" recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqdfBeENL4c

I don't always like his interpretations, but the blinding speed his fingers move is incredible.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Jesus Christ, that kid needs to use the una corda pedal. Great soft playing, but if he just put it down...

How do you even get that good and not know to use the una corda pedal?

Last edited by trigalg693; 10/30/12 01:22 AM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by trigalg693

Jesus Christ, that kid needs to use the una corda pedal. Great soft playing, but if he just put it down...

How do you even get that good and not know to use the una corda pedal?

Most pianists (myself included) use it too much. It's a special effect, and it can easily become a crutch you use when you don't have enough control to play a passage quietly and evenly enough.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Most pianists (myself included) use it too much. It's a special effect, and it can easily become a crutch you use when you don't have enough control to play a passage quietly and evenly enough.

What do you call too much?

I use it for pp/ppp sections (if I think the tone is appropriate) and in places where I think the changed tone is a good effect, but nowhere else. I always test the pedal to see what the tone is like first, if the tone change is subtle and progressive I won't feel bad about partial soft pedaling in some spots.

If it were me the pedal would be down for a large portion of Feux Follets, just because it's Feux Follets. The piano that kid played on sounded a little tinny off the soft pedal as well.

I also think it's okay to use as a "crutch" because the vast majority of pianos are not in good enough shape to play soft, quick, and clean, as long as one is making their best effort to play softly. The fact is that it gives you an extra layer of sound suppression that is extremely valuable, especially on not so high quality pianos and unfamiliar pianos with worn actions.

Last edited by trigalg693; 10/30/12 06:10 AM.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Its best to understand the mechanism of the una chorda pedal: http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.II.24

There is a definite difference in tone-quality when the una chorda is depressed which I can discern very easily. Whenever I hear someone using it I wonder if its indicated in the score or if the performer is using it to achieve pp/ppp. IMO opinion its much better to achieve lower dynamics without relying on the soft pedal. It is there to achieve a special effect rather to make it easier for the pianist to play soft.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I actually don't use it at all. I don't necessarily have anything against it.. I just don't think I'm coordinated enough to work two hands and two feet at once. wink

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

I actually don't use it at all. I don't necessarily have anything against it.. I just don't think I'm coordinated enough to work two hands and two feet at once. wink

Remind me to stay clear if you're driving.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by derulux
...I just don't think I'm coordinated enough to work two hands and two feet at once. wink

Two feet? Remind me to stay clear if YOU'RE driving. crazy

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by derulux
...I just don't think I'm coordinated enough to work two hands and two feet at once. wink

Two feet? Remind me to stay clear if YOU'RE driving. crazy

I drive a manual. No problem for someone as coordinated as a pianist, right? Right?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I had mentioned composers' haircuts as a possible thread suggestion in a recent thread, but it can also be extended to pianists' haircuts. grin

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Online Content
John McEnroe who, as tennis coach, I drove to quite a few Trinity School tennis matches, once said that I used the pedals on a car as if I was playing the piano. Of course, I immediately retorted that a piano has three pedals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission