2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 135 of 140 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 139 140
N
N
Okay, okay... Sorry, but I just had to dredge this one* up:

It happens that a C, an Eb and a G go into a bar. The bartender says: "Sorry, but we don't serve minors."

So the E-flat leaves, and the C and the G have an open fifth between them.

After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished and the G is out flat. An F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough.

A D comes into the bar and heads straight for the bathroom saying, "Excuse me. I'll just be a second."

Then an A comes into the bar, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor.

Then the bartender notices a B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and exclaims, "Get out now. You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight."

The Eb not easily deflated, comes back to the bar the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender (who used to have a nice corporate job until his company downsized) says, "You're looking sharp tonight, come on in! This could be a major development."

This proves to be the case, as the Eb takes off the suit, and everything else, and stands there au natural.

Eventually, the C sobers up, and realizes in horror that he's under a rest. The C is brought to trial, is found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to ten years of DS without Coda at an upscale correctional facility.

On appeal, however, the C is found innocent of any wrongdoing, even accidental, and that all accusations to the contrary are bassless.

The bartender decides, however, that since he's had only tenor so patrons, with the soprano out in the bathroom, and everything has become alto much treble, he needs a rest, and closes the bar.

Last edited by Norman Cotterell; 11/01/12 03:43 PM. Reason: *This is an old joke, well circulated and oft-repeated. The author? Anonymous, I think. But it was told by Billy Rader, Johnny Scales, and David Sudnow, among others.

Every disease is a musical problem. Its cure, a musical solution. -- Novalis
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
wow Norm

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Norm,

I would not go so far as to call you a lyre, but to Repeat and Repeat such phrases is in bad Form, Period!

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
really clever!

N
N
Originally Posted by LoPresti
Norm,

I would not go so far as to call you a lyre, but to Repeat and Repeat such phrases is in bad Form, Period!

Ed

True. Very true. I should serve a triple-time sequence behind bars -- to refrain from reprising a joke unsurprising, a deceptive and dissonant drone of a tone.

And now it is time to trudge into bed
to repent for the nonsense I've just said.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hey Norm
I've said before that you're in the wrong job.
The bartender sounds pretty ritard-and-o they do have those sus minor bars in Scotland.
They definitely have dwarf bars in New Zealand.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Norman Cotterell

Okay, okay... Sorry, but I just had to dredge this one up:

It happens that A C, and Eb and a G go into a bar. The bartender says: "Sorry, but we don't serve minors."

So the E-flat leaves, and the C and the G have an open fifth between them.

After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished and the G is out flat. An F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough.

A D comes into the bar and heads straight for the bathroom saying, "Excuse me. I'll just be a second."

Then an A comes into the bar, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor.

Then the bartender notices a B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and exclaims, "Get out now. You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight."

The Eb not easily deflated, comes back to the bar the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender (who used to have a nice corporate job until his company downsized) says, "You're looking sharp tonight, come on in! This could be a major development."

This proves to be the case, as the Eb takes off the suit, and everything else, and stands there au natural.

Eventually, the C sobers up, and realizes in horror that he's under a rest. The C is brought to trial, is found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to ten years of DS without Coda at an upscale correctional facility.

On appeal, however, the C is found innocent of any wrongdoing, even accidental, and that all accusations to the contrary are bassless.

The bartender decides, however, that since he's had only tenor so patrons, with the soprano out in the bathroom, and everything has become alto much treble, he needs a rest, and closes the bar.

Wow, Norm, that really struck a chord! One thing I'm not sure about, does A come into the bar initially, or only after D goes to the bathroom?

I'd always wanted to post some humour here, I just wasn't sure what level to pitch it at.

N
N
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
One thing I'm not sure about, does A come into the bar initially, or only after D goes to the bathroom?

I corrected that unfortunate capitulation capitalization. But I guess if A did come in initially, it might have read:

The bartender said, "You're the seventh collection of discordant dimwits I've had tonight!" They felt diminished of course, but only by half.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
An English teacher was stessing to her 4th grade students the importance of capitalization. She used as an example of said importance the following sentence,"Last Sunday I went to our ranch and helped my Uncle Jack off a horse".

Happy Thersday)

DF

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
G-sus !

shocked

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
what, are we having a pause?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I note your sustained enthusiasm.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Played a remarkable instrument today, it had 3520 keys!! It was called a forty-piano.

DF

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
haha. Top marks in math class today. I had to work it out on my dashboard.

N
N
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

I'd always wanted to post some humour here, I just wasn't sure what level to pitch it at.

Like water, seek the lowest level. The absolute lowest level.

So in the interest of that, here are my three versions of the Lesson 11 Jazz Line. A couple of missed cues, a fuzzy chord here and there, a slightly hoarse voice, and the requisite banging on the keyboard. All in all, a good day:

The Eyes Have It

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
So in the interest of that, here are my three versions of the Lesson 11 Jazz Line. A couple of missed cues, a fuzzy chord here and there, a slightly hoarse voice, and the requisite banging on the keyboard.

Norm,

I could not help myself -- I listened to them seven or eight times, and with each audition, I got more out of it! I believe you have captured completely, and in some cases exceeded, the very spirit of YouTube.

This absolutely BELONGS on the Composers' Forum, where you will get many, many more "hits", and from that can feel accomplished, commensurate with your efforts. This shows decisively that you are someone who deserves to be "out there." (Out where, we don't say.)

Incidently, we also appreciate the VOTING theme in the title - a nice little bonus.

I am speechless!
Ed

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice job Norm!
I like when you hit the chords on 1 and let them ring. You might try purposely playing the left hand lighter.

N
N
Originally Posted by LoPresti
This absolutely BELONGS on the Composers' Forum, where you will get many, many more "hits", and from that can feel accomplished, commensurate with your efforts. This shows decisively that you are someone who deserves to be "out there."

I feel absolutely humbled by and undeserving* of your enthusiasm, especially since I'm not the composer. Dave Frank deserves the credit as composer, arranger, coach, guru, jester, and inspiration for us all.

I'm not quite ready to be "out there," being pretty much a canned ham regarding the piano. I can let loose and be wild in the comfort, safety, and privacy of my home, but the presence of an audience (or microphone) can bring on inhibition bordering on catatonia.

So, I'm using JOI as a beginner's method, just to see how far I can go with it until I hit a wall (or the pavement). In addition, I won (in an auction) four sessions with a jazz pianist/teacher starting this Saturday. So after 41 more JOI Lessons, more audience exposure, and 10,000 hours of deliberate practice and coaching -- I'll be in a better position to learn jazz piano.

Thanks greatly for giving my efforts a listening, LoPresti, and I'll keep plugging away at it.

Now, On to Lesson 12!

Last edited by Norman Cotterell; 11/06/12 04:02 PM. Reason: *Resulting from an unfortunate use of the word "versions." My apologies.

N
N
Originally Posted by knotty
Nice job Norm!
I like when you hit the chords on 1 and let them ring. You might try purposely playing the left hand lighter.

Thanks Knotty for your encouragement and support. That is so hard! Ever since I was told that the piano is actually a percussion instrument, my left hand has run wild, yelling "Let Freedom Ring!"

I consciously need to tame it, but ...

...at some point my software bug may wind up being a design feature.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I feel absolutely humbled by and undeserving* of your enthusiasm, especially since I'm not the composer. Dave Frank deserves the credit . . .

Well, that does explain a lot! Anyone who would even attempt forty instruments, while playing a pianissimo, has my undying respect.

However, I was referring to your INTERPRETATION of said composition. We have Jamie Abersold to thank for a generation or two of "heavy left hand" comping, and the venerable Louis Armstrong for the raspy singing. You are in great company!

Ed

Page 135 of 140 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission