Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
64 registered (661-Pete, Al LaPorte, 20 invisible), 1067 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1979548 - 10/28/12 04:48 AM New addition, but it's not red...
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan

On a one-month loan from R&D while I'm testing something. wink

I intend to MIDI it up to my Electro, but only have a USB-->MIDI cable at the moment.

The action feels great though, and will give my fingers a real work-out compared to what I'm used to playing.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1979555 - 10/28/12 05:11 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
That's really sweet James! Looks fantastic, and truly heavy! smile . Controlling the Piano sound of the Electro with it must be an interesting story... I really like the Nord piano sound, perhaps the most of all the on-board samples.

That poor computer sitting there is probably developing a size and weight complex! smile

Cool picture and setup,
Rafa.

#1979567 - 10/28/12 06:19 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I see an mp8-II and pianoteq on the laptop. So...what's the new stuff that's tested here ? Or am I missing something...

J

Nice setup by the way.

#1979569 - 10/28/12 06:27 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm testing my fingers. wink

#1979578 - 10/28/12 07:29 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
I think it's a new GF keybed in the MP8 Case... If I can read between the lines properly Attila

#1979585 - 10/28/12 08:25 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Those were the days - pianos you could stack other boards on. If you're gonna make 'em heavy, make 'em useful!

You're such a tease, James! wink

#1979587 - 10/28/12 08:37 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Still hackingtosh ?

#1979588 - 10/28/12 08:41 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
origen Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
What are you using the Vox for? Is it a keyboard amp?

#1979590 - 10/28/12 08:58 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

voxpops, those days may yet return. wink

JFP, yep, OS X on a little Dell Mini 9 - runs very well, although I only tend to use it when travelling, or Skyping my family.

origen, not a keyboard amp, just an inexpensive Vox AC15. It lacks the fidelity required for playing acoustic pianos (especially in mono), but the Nord's EPs sound quite nice through it, and the compact size is fine for small get-togethers.

James
x

#1979614 - 10/28/12 10:33 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wonder how much the bare GF keybed in itself weighs ; is that a top secret , or information that is allowed to be publicly available ? 20 kg ??

#1979715 - 10/28/12 03:41 PM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
RafaPolit Offline

Oh, I completely missed the different keybed issue! That is certainly exciting.

#1981278 - 11/01/12 09:41 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Just a quick update...

I've MIDI'd up the MP8II to my Electro so that the Kawai action is controlling the Nord tone generator.

Wow! It's fantastic! So much more expressive than with the Fatar action I'm used to - it's almost like a completely different playing experience, with the grands, uprights, and EPs suddenly bursting into life.

Makes me wonder what I'll do when the month-long loan is up.
Might have to buy myself a new [cough].

Cheers,
James
x

#1981281 - 11/01/12 09:46 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

yep, OS X on a little Dell Mini 9 - runs very well,

Hey James, how much messing around did you have to do to get OSX running on your Dell? I've got a desktop machine at home that I'd like to try turning into a hackintosh, but I'm wary of having to mess with scripts and custom-made drivers to make it work etc. How did you convince OSX that you have an Aiport card for example? Did you find a site that has all the drivers for your machine? I'm not on top of that enough to risk it if it takes a loss of messing about.

#1981287 - 11/01/12 10:02 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

ando, the Dell Mini 9 is perhaps the easiest system to install OS X onto. All the scripts and additional drivers etc. were installed automatically by a software package called 'Dell EFI'. I believe this package has since been replaced by a more modern/robust system, however I installed OS X on my netbook over three years ago and it's still working fine. My only concern is that some some software developers are dropping support for OS X 10.5 (Leopard), so there may come a point where I'll upgrade to 10.6 (Snow Leopard), which I gather is the last version that boots on the puny single-core Atom CPU.

Installing OS X on a desktop is probably a little more complicated. I actually have a Tiger partition on a separate computer which also runs pretty well, but it took a little reading around to get the audio and wifi working correctly. Again, this was several years ago, so I expect the compatibility niggles have been ironed out considerable - especially if you stick with hardware found in Macs. There's a strong hackintosh community, with a number of forums providing tutorials, so provided you have another machine available to check information online while setting everything up you should be fine.

Cheers,
James
x

#1981380 - 11/01/12 02:53 PM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow! It's fantastic! So much more expressive than with the Fatar action I'm used to - it's almost like a completely different playing experience, with the grands, uprights, and EPs suddenly bursting into life.

Makes me wonder what I'll do when the month-long loan is up.
Might have to buy myself a new [cough].

Ha! Even with a lowly Yamaha GH the playing experience of a red board is so different. Now just imagine a licence agreement between a red and a black company, so we could get a new [cough] with the Nord sound engine... Ah, daydreaming...

#1981438 - 11/01/12 04:51 PM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
RafaPolit Offline

...So much more expressive than with the Fatar action I'm used to... Might have to buy myself a new [cough].

Yeah, I kind of thought it would!... it looks like a killer combo. Very glad you are enjoying that [cough] smile . Is it that much better to what we are used to in current models?

Its a shame the nearest Kawai dealer is a full country away from me frown , never have been able to play one.

Thanks for sharing your 'testing' with us!
Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (11/01/12 04:51 PM)

#1981487 - 11/01/12 06:54 PM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
ando, the Dell Mini 9 is perhaps the easiest system to install OS X onto. All the scripts and additional drivers etc. were installed automatically by a software package called 'Dell EFI'. I believe this package has since been replaced by a more modern/robust system, however I installed OS X on my netbook over three years ago and it's still working fine. My only concern is that some some software developers are dropping support for OS X 10.5 (Leopard), so there may come a point where I'll upgrade to 10.6 (Snow Leopard), which I gather is the last version that boots on the puny single-core Atom CPU.

Installing OS X on a desktop is probably a little more complicated. I actually have a Tiger partition on a separate computer which also runs pretty well, but it took a little reading around to get the audio and wifi working correctly. Again, this was several years ago, so I expect the compatibility niggles have been ironed out considerable - especially if you stick with hardware found in Macs. There's a strong hackintosh community, with a number of forums providing tutorials, so provided you have another machine available to check information online while setting everything up you should be fine.

Cheers,
James
x

Cheers James, I'll give it a go on the weekend, I think. There seems to be support for my motherboard on one of the Hack sites. Only thing I'm doubtful about is some of my peripherals - especially my wireless card. Not sure if it'll be accepted as an Airport card, being a generic cheapie. We'll see, I have a spare hard drive I can mess up especially, so it's not really a risk after all. I'll let you know how it pans out.

#1981509 - 11/01/12 08:01 PM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: maurus]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Good morning chaps,

Originally Posted By: maurus
...just imagine a licence agreement between a red and a black company, so we could get a new [cough] with the Nord sound engine... Ah, daydreaming...

Yes, that would be pretty cool - especially if newly sampled Kawai/Shigeru Kawai sounds were also part of the deal. wink

Originally Posted By: RafaPolit
Its a shame the nearest Kawai dealer is a full country away from me , never have been able to play one.

I've just checked with one of my colleagues responsible for the South American market. He mentioned that 'Nova Music' (Ecuador) sell some Kawai acoustics, but currently no digitals, unfortunately.

Cheers,
James
x

#1981605 - 11/02/12 03:47 AM Re: New addition, but it's not red... [Re: Kawai James]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, that would be pretty cool - especially if newly sampled Kawai/Shigeru Kawai sounds were also part of the deal. wink

New Shigeru Kawai samples - by all means bring them along, as large as possible! wink

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission