Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1981240 - 11/01/12 07:26 AM Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Recital #28 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, our 28th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of November, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Time, November 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on November 14, 2012.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

Please note also that the countdown clock on the recital website was acting up in the last recital and should not be relied upon as your sole time-keeper. Sam S. put in some heroic hours debugging the code, and we believe the problem is fixed, but (just in case) you should be aware that the deadline will be measured by "real" time. (Do not, I repeat, not, get all philosophical or physics-y on me and start debating what "real" time is.) In fact, do yourself and me a favor and don't put off submitting your piece until the last hour. Pretty please. smile

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1981246 - 11/01/12 07:42 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Well, I'm in #1 this time...
I went to check if the recital was already online before I left for my tennis match ... And it was!

Thanks Monica!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1981375 - 11/01/12 02:37 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
We're already up to 10!! Time to get serious about putting in some Red Dot time...

#1981423 - 11/01/12 04:27 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Well I'm in at # 12. I would have made the top 10 but just as I went to record using the Zoom I noticed that my RCA to 1/4'' plug adapter was broken. I needed this piece to record directly from my digital piano into the Zoom using the line level input (as well as a 2 into 1 "Y" stereo mini adapter. (I didn't move the mighty Mason this time. It's getting way to expensive and I'm having a ton of fun whipping around the Roland digital.)

I got through that ordeal thanks to a somewhat nearby Radio shack. A little pricey though!

Anyway, I usually end up dropping a few places by recital time as others below me question (and re-question) their submitted performances...(post submittal dissonance)? but this group seems really strong and committed so I may end up at an even dozen. Lots of great performances to look forward to.

#1981478 - 11/01/12 06:33 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky

Anyway, I usually end up dropping a few places by recital time as others below me question (and re-question) their submitted performances...(post submittal dissonance)? but this group seems really strong and committed so I may end up at an even dozen. Lots of great performances to look forward to.

Funny you say that ... post submittal dissonance. I had a strong leaning towards re-recoding today, but then thought better of it. The thing is ... will I ever be completely happy with it? I think not.

Kind of a double edge sword isn't it? On the one hand with a recorded piece we can take as many tries as we want to get it right. But will it ever be right? Not for me I don't think.

I've resigned to settle for ... this was the best I could do on the day I decided to record. Too bad I didn't record on a better day ... laugh

#1981508 - 11/01/12 07:57 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
I am in at number 15. Its been awhile since I've participated. Its good to be back.

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller

#1981562 - 11/01/12 11:32 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Greener, always wanting to do better is not a bad trait to have. It's part of our human nature. You seem to have it. That's good.

You and people like you are not slackers. Just the opposite. You are always looking for ways to do better and improve.

I'm similar in that respect but I've also been accused many times of not stopping and smelling the roses.

At some point you have to step back and be proud of what you have already accomplished even if you know there is still more to come.

It's time to smell the roses; at least for a little while.

#1981608 - 11/02/12 04:14 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Note to self: finish recital piece instead of posting pictures of large decorative swine - that may or may not house functional pianos - on pianoworld.

#1981643 - 11/02/12 07:46 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Greener, always wanting to do better is not a bad trait to have. It's part of our human nature. You seem to have it. That's good.

You and people like you are not slackers. Just the opposite. You are always looking for ways to do better and improve.

I'm similar in that respect but I've also been accused many times of not stopping and smelling the roses.

At some point you have to step back and be proud of what you have already accomplished even if you know there is still more to come.

It's time to smell the roses; at least for a little while.

...and I will add this. You can always do better but sometimes you just have to say "OK, enough, here it is!" I think the day we say "This is perfect, I can't make it any better." is the day the work starts to lose it's spark. It's the drive to "make it better" that keeps the work interesting. Plus, if we keep waiting for the "perfect work" we'll probably never finish anything.

Man, I'm deep!!!

#1981880 - 11/02/12 05:10 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Spent a couple of hours with the Zoom and got a take I could submit, yay! laugh

...but then I committed the fatal mistake of listening to a recording of the composer himself playing the piece. help

#1981885 - 11/02/12 05:26 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

...but then I committed the fatal mistake of listening to a recording of the composer himself playing the piece. help

sorry can't help, but can sure relate. I think if I go back and listen to Carl Seeman one more time, I may be inclined to take a sledge hammer to my piano. So, I'll try to hold off on doing that.

You may want to reference the last few posts on this thread, Monica. They were of help to me. I think I'll be going out to see if I can find some roses to smell tonight laugh

#1981905 - 11/02/12 05:51 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I think this is the best antidote to our anxiety:

"The primary purpose of the recitals is to allow AB forum members to provide a snapshot of where they are in their piano journey at that particular point in time. The goal is not perfection but rather to share with one another our current projects." source:recitals.pianoworld.com

Never forget the spirit of it.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1981928 - 11/02/12 06:40 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
pianonewb Offline

Loc: No. Va.
Been waiting for this! Now I've got to choose something to submit, lol.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

#1982069 - 11/03/12 06:01 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>It's time to smell the roses; at least for a little while.

Not yet! Smelling the roses is for Thursday, November 15, 2012 :-p

#1982405 - 11/03/12 10:17 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Just submitted mine ... well, the upload is going anyway. It's been a while ... might not get there first time.

Anyway, my composer has been dead for over three hundred years so I'm safe from comparisions with him!

Kawai K3

#1982422 - 11/03/12 11:00 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
It's going to be a challenge for me this time with only ten days left. We moved this summer, I found a new piano teacher in September. We had a new baby born in October. And I started all new pieces in September instead of continuing where I left off with my old teacher. I've got 4 things brewing, two of them are short, maybe things will come together. Oh yeah, and I don't have my borrowed Zoom anymore. Need to order one of those! As you can see, factors are conspiring against me for ABF Recital #28. smile

#1982549 - 11/04/12 09:54 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LizAnne Offline

Ah, I want to submit something but I don't have anything long enough that sounds decent. These little pieces we've been learning take about 20 seconds to play once I get them up to speed. :P

#1982598 - 11/04/12 12:35 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

the length is not so important, it's about how nice it sounds and how much fun you have with it. Maybe you can add a repeat if you think it's too short smile

#1982618 - 11/04/12 01:18 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: LizAnne]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: LizAnne
Ah, I want to submit something but I don't have anything long enough that sounds decent. These little pieces we've been learning take about 20 seconds to play once I get them up to speed. :P

I'd rather listen to an interesting, well played short piece than a boring long one.... smile

#1982620 - 11/04/12 01:30 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Peyton]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Peyton

I'd rather listen to an interesting, well played short piece than a boring long one.... smile

I agree - and Wouter is right too - add in a little repeat.
Or string a few of your pieces together as a little theme.

Several of my submissions have been under a minute :J) This time I've got 2 little pieces and I'm still under 2 minutes smile

I'm in now at 26,right after Andy Platt.

#1982633 - 11/04/12 01:58 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LizAnne Offline

Gawsh, i actually did it.

It's up to a minute with a repeat.

But it's not well played, LOL. I mean, I did my best and it took about 75 takes to get a submittable one, but my best ain't all that hot. Still, though, I like submitting because it lets me hear my progress (at the expense of ruining a beautiful recital). Thanks for being a forgiving audience. smile

#1982635 - 11/04/12 02:01 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LizAnne Offline

Dang, I should have waited one. I could have been #28 of recital #28. The next person has that honor.

#1982639 - 11/04/12 02:17 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: LizAnne]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Gawsh, i actually did it.

It's up to a minute with a repeat.

But it's not well played, LOL. I mean, I did my best and it took about 75 takes to get a submittable one, but my best ain't all that hot. Still, though, I like submitting because it lets me hear my progress (at the expense of ruining a beautiful recital). Thanks for being a forgiving audience. smile

Good for you! and NEVER think for an instant that you're ruining the recital! Good heavens! No.

Truly, truly I say to you..... we like to hear everyone's contributions. What is so very cool is that as you keep contributing we ALL get to hear your progress and give you feedback on it. I find that the encouragement I've received over the past few years has really meant a lot to me.

#1982642 - 11/04/12 02:31 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm in at #28. And I'm doing a prelude from Chopin's opus 28, so the number fits!

This is my first recording on my "new" piano. Tried various placements of my only microphone and finally settled on what Wouter told me to do - about a meter from the bend, pointed at the strings - close enough for amateurs.

Sam

#1982645 - 11/04/12 02:36 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay Monica, I have a 'technical' question. Lets say that my goal is not to 'beat' the system, but rather to 'relax' it (or at least my stress levels) a little. Couldn't I do the following:

1.) Submit a fairly decent recording of my submission on the first of the month which will secure me a low spot on the performance list but then under my comments I will say...."Please watch the video". Since you can add a video up until just about the last second, this will give me another 2 weeks to fine tune and practice before I really MUST submit it.

So, as long as your willing to submit a video of your performance, you actually have until around Monicas bedtime on the 14th to submit your piece and still make it.

Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

Bottom line: I want to know if I still have 2 more weeks to practice for a video.

#1982671 - 11/04/12 03:31 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Okay Monica, I have a 'technical' question. Lets say that my goal is not to 'beat' the system, but rather to 'relax' it (or at least my stress levels) a little. Couldn't I do the following:

1.) Submit a fairly decent recording of my submission on the first of the month which will secure me a low spot on the performance list but then under my comments I will say...."Please watch the video". Since you can add a video up until just about the last second, this will give me another 2 weeks to fine tune and practice before I really MUST submit it.

So, as long as your willing to submit a video of your performance, you actually have until around Monicas bedtime on the 14th to submit your piece and still make it.

Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

Bottom line: I want to know if I still have 2 more weeks to practice for a video.

Yes, the video counts as just editing the text of your submission, so you can change the text at the last minute. But then, the audio and video won't match. Many people use the streaming player and that uses the audio file.

I have done this when I make the videos with sheet music. But I am using the same audio file, just adding video to it. When I finally edit the text to point to the video, I don't lose my place in line.

Sam

#1982699 - 11/04/12 04:32 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

IMHO this logic is correct. I think it's possible in general to change videos while keeping the same link (so you can change even after the deadline). Furthermore, your place in the recital index would not match your actual submission time.

I'd rather suggest completely the opposite: why do we have a two-week submission slot anyway? Why not pick ONE DAY as deadline and require everyone to submit on that day? 24 hours for uploading seems plenty enough to me.

#1982700 - 11/04/12 04:34 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
I'm in at #28. And I'm doing a prelude from Chopin's opus 28, so the number fits!

This is my first recording on my "new" piano. Tried various placements of my only microphone and finally settled on what Wouter told me to do - about a meter from the bend, pointed at the strings - close enough for amateurs.

Sam

Nice, recital 28 place 28 for chopin 28!

Great to hear that my suggested placement works for you. Looking forward to how it sounds.

#1982735 - 11/04/12 06:11 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
LizAnne Offline

Originally Posted By: wouter79

I'd rather suggest completely the opposite: why do we have a two-week submission slot anyway? Why not pick ONE DAY as deadline and require everyone to submit on that day? 24 hours for uploading seems plenty enough to me.

You'd lose the members who are less active on the forum.

I don't know how "unique" I am in this, but the only reason i submitted was that I happened to check in and see submission open, and it happened to be a lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing on my schedule, and I happened to have something semi-submittable. Little chance I'd get something in with only a 24 hour window.

...not that that would be a huge loss to the recital, in my case. smile

#1982747 - 11/04/12 07:23 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Not everyone has the same schedule. If you were out of town, or working a strange shift, or sick that day, or whatever, you couldn't submit.

For me it doesn't make any difference that it's a 2-week long window. And I can't really see what overall difference it makes. The recital opens when it opens.

Cathy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Isn't this a Better way to Measure After-touch?
by Paul678
10/31/14 09:33 AM
The cutest!
by Rich Galassini
10/31/14 09:12 AM
Midi keyboard full setup (Kawai VPC1 + .. ? )
by Rockstar
10/31/14 05:18 AM
knight piano returns?
by Jay
10/31/14 05:10 AM
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
10/31/14 03:22 AM
Who's Online
125 registered (ajames, AnimistFvR, angga888, ando, alberto, 39 invisible), 2171 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158633 Topics
2329840 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission