2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
Last tuesday my new Satin Black Kawai CA 95 arrived. It was a heck of a job to get the 87 kg piano three stairs up to my studyroom, but it stands… It’s my first Kawai. After having some difficulties with another brand digital piano (inferior samples, noisy action with clicking keys, etc) I deceided to invest some real money in a new digital piano, hopefully for the ‘rest of my live’ smile I realy like the Kawai CA 95: fantastic pianosamples, great action, beautiful speakersystem and nice cabinet.

But now THE PROBLEM. The same evening I noticed an annoying electric hum sound coming from the piano. It makes me think of a transformator sound. The sound can be easily heard within a radius of 1.5 meters, if it is quiet in my room. In the shop I did not noticed this electric hum, because I was listening to the sound of the pianosamples and focused my attention to the action and sound of the speakers. But now, listening in my quiet studyroom to ‘the sound of silence’ when the piano is on, there it is: a very annoying constant electric hum sound.
Ofcourse I tried to locate the source of this electric hum. When I placed me ear directly on the wooden top of the piano, I can hear this hum coming from inside. The hum seams to sound stronger in the area of the topspeakers above the soundboard. But does not seem to be directly related. Because when I connect my headphones, wich disables the speakersystem, the electric hum stays the same. It also does not respond in getting louder of softer by changing the volumeslide of the piano, the hum stays the same.

This réaly disappoints me! Now my question to other owners of the Kawai CA 95. Do you also hear an electric hum around the piano, or coming from the inside of the piano? Please press your ear flat on the topshelf of the cabinet on the left or right side, near the topspeakers, to hear if IT is there.

Ofcourse there is a two years guarantee period for this piano, but I hate the idea to have to ask again some people to help me bring down the 87 kg piano, and so on back to the shop…

Do you think that a Kawai Technician is able to solve such a problem on the spot?

Please respond….

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If it were my piano I'd open it up and look inside and see if I could dampen the hum which is probably coming from the power supply.

If you don't feel like doing this yourself call the dealer and let them deal with it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
S
I would definately not open the DP myself, because then you will void the guarantee ...
Call your shop and discuss it with them.

Kawai CA65
Mine doesnt hum. Ive seen inside.... scary stuff....

W
W
Disappointing, I know, but don't regret buying the Kawai.

I have used my CA75 for nearly five years, at least one hour a day. I still love it and it has never given a moment's trouble. I see no reason for the CA95 to be different.

But under no circumstances should you go "inside" the instrument. There is nothing you can do there and unless you are an advanced electronic engineer, you are unlikely to recognise anything there anyway. It's under guarantee - tell the seller of the problem and let him have the opportunity of putting it right.

Last edited by Wumpletoad; 11/02/12 01:45 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But under no circumstances should you go "inside" the instrument. There is nothing you can do there and unless you are an advanced electronic engineer, you are unlikely to recognise anything there anyway.

You don't have to be an advanced electronic engineer to wedge a piece of foam to reduce or remove a sympathetic vibration if that alone can solve this issue. I think most folks could easily recognize a power supply.

I once completely dismantled the interior (dash, doors) of a Jeep Wagoner to eliminate rattles. I don't hold an advanced automotive engineering degree. smile

D
OP Offline
D
You are a very courageous guy Dave. I'am not. Especially not in matters of electronics. And I agree with others, I don't want to risk my two year guarantee on this brandnew Kawai. But thanks anyway.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Wumpletoad
It's under guarantee - tell the seller of the problem and let him have the opportunity of putting it right.

Thank you Wumpletoad. My main concern now is: can they repair something like this on location? I realy don't want to take the piano three stairs down to bring it to the dealer. Has anyone (in Holland) experience with the Kawai service?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Where are you in Holland?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Well, the question I think is whether it's a defect or not.

Most electrical items with a transformer have a slight hum. It is possible with damping and shielding to reduce the hum so that it's almost not noticeable.

UKPaul's response suggests, either he cannot hear an existing hum smile , or your CA95 is louder than some others.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Well, the question I think is whether it's a defect or not.

That's exactly why I would like to hear if other CA 95 owners, register such a hum or not. I would be realy disappointed when a Kawai technician comes to my home and say: "well sir this is a normal electrical sound". In my opinion a costly digital piano like the CA 95 should not produce such a hum.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Where are you in Holland?

I live near Castricum NH.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you lived closer I'd offer to stop by and open up the unit to see if we could dampen the transformer.

I'm just outside of Den Bosch.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
If you lived closer I'd offer to stop by and open up the unit to see if we could dampen the transformer.

Thanks Dave, but I rather waite for a certified Kawai technician. As I said, I don't want to loose my two year guarantee.

C
C
It should be mentioned, perhaps, that if you decide to try to dampen the hum of the power supply with foam that you take care not to interfere with the unit's ability to cool itself.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As others have recommended, any concerns with your piano should be discussed with the dealer from whom the instrument was purchased. If there is a problem, a qualified technician should be able to diagnose the fault and offer a solution.

Please do not attempt to open-up the instrument to fix the issue yourself.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I have to agree with the OP. You paid thousands for a brand new piano, with a warranty. Let the manufacturer deal with the problem.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you James.
But what is your experience in this matter?
Did you ever noticed an electric hum around
the Kawai digital piano's, or a hum that can
be heard coming from the inside of the cabinet?
I mean is this an exception or a regular fenomena?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Dutch,

It is most likely a power supply transformer is humming. Out of any 100 of the same transformers from the same production line, a number of them are going to hum. It's a physical issue, the transformer is mechanically buzzing. It has a loose layer in its' winding somewhere, more than likely. Your dealer should identify the offending 'culprit' in the piano and replace it.

All manufacturers have this issue where a few of their products(of the same model) have the hum but most don't.

Kawai James(as usual) gave the correct instructions.

Last edited by emenelton; 11/03/12 03:50 PM.
Originally Posted by Dutch Dhamma
Thank you James.
But what is your experience in this matter?
Did you ever noticed an electric hum around
the Kawai digital piano's, or a hum that can
be heard coming from the inside of the cabinet?
I mean is this an exception or a regular fenomena?

No, I do not recall hearing any humming sound when play-testing the CA95.

Again, if I was in your position I would contact the dealer to explain the situation.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission