2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 227 of 540 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 539 540
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations Sand Tiger that all sounds promising and looking forward to hearing Canon in D when the recital opens.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hardly an "achievement", but if you count successfully lifting and lowering the lid of my 7' piano without incident?? Yeah!!!!!!

Haven't had the lid fully up in a while. Got to fall in love with my piano today all over again. Mason & Hamlin sure got it right during the Golden Age of The Piano!!! I am so lucky.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
E
Not quite an achievement per say but I'm about to watch my very first piano concert. Just saw Christopher O'riley walk in. And boy this Steinway grand looks gorgeous. can't wait to hear it smile

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Sandtiger....I look forward to that. Canon is one of those I just gotta...

dynamibt....Yup ....that's a pure AOTW. Some piano's are just spot on. Glad you love your M&H.

ElleC...congrats...sounds like a real learning experience.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
D
[quote=JimF]Warlock - Great job on your first rectal. Don't forget to grab one of those piano icons for your sig line. thumb

Oh my goodness! Do you really have to have a rectal before you can sign up for the recital? I don't think I will be participating any time soon! wink

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! Being a veterinarian, rectals are a frequent part of my day - for the patients, I hasten to add, not for the vets.)

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Where do we find the little pianos and such for our signature line?

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Where do we find the little pianos and such for our signature line?

[ img ]http://www.pianoworld.com/ABF_Medals/medal_c_1.jpg[/ img ]

Just remove the spaces before and after "img" --- this will give you 1 grand piano - - for the next live performance just edit your profile and change the C_1 to C_2

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you!!! I'll even get to add another after June 1st!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
(btw there are NO pics of me on PW, barring videos which show my hands).

There is though... and it was within the past few months. It was you playing, and the camera is from behind, but we get to see the side of your face a bit. I wouldn't be able to spot you in a crowd necessarily, but I think I could pick you out of a lineup (not that you would ever be in one, of course!). I'm pretty sure... or am I making this up entirely?

TallGuy - sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting your spinnet tuned properly. That's very frustrating. I'm glad you got a good take of your piece for the recital though! It will be fun to listen to your piece.

Well, it wasn't a good take, just a clean take -- i.e. no wrong notes, but several large hesitations. I wouldn't submit it as is. Actually my run-through on the YouTube clip (Chopin Op 28/7) above was better than the mono take I was referring to, despite a big flub at the beginning.

Edit: Oh yes, and some pauses in the middle to demonstrate how out of tune certain notes are! So, I can't really submit that one either, unfortunately.

What's the name of the first piece you played in your sample clip (not the octave plinking, but after that smile I really liked it! )

That is Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind"... and it gets better from there.

For your listening pleasure, 3 versions below that demonstrate Mr. Joel's extraordinary musicianship and versatility as a performer across a 25 year span:

1) 1976 -- Album version. Actually, this is overlayed with an alternate Phil Woods sax solo as released on Greatest Hits I & II. Most people are probably more familiar with this version rather than the original.

2) 1978 -- Live on BBC 2. At the height of the excesses of the 70s, and it shows. He's pretty clearly plowed, baked, or something... but the man can play, with major jazz chops on display here.

3) 2001 -- In the darkest time in the USA since Pearl Harbor and the assassination of JFK, the song takes on a different significance and Joel brings a mournful, plaintive mood. And it's not because he's too old to rock it any more... he does in a subsequent 9/11 benefit concert (Miami 2017 is worth a listen here too, very poignant in context): 9/11 New York State of Mind

[video:youtube]ol0dPJdzm1M[/video]
[video:youtube]UZh8YjbDiVk[/video]
[video:youtube]Ylxw-nG5VWI[/video]

Last edited by aTallGuyNH; 05/14/13 05:18 AM.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
B
B
Highlight of my week was finally nailing measures 27-34 in Jennifer Eklund's "Reflections". It has been killing me for weeks, and now I'm finally able to do them almost at speed. While "Reflections" get seated, I will begin working on David Lanz' "Nightfall"

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
(btw there are NO pics of me on PW, barring videos which show my hands).

There is though... and it was within the past few months. It was you playing, and the camera is from behind, but we get to see the side of your face a bit. I wouldn't be able to spot you in a crowd necessarily, but I think I could pick you out of a lineup (not that you would ever be in one, of course!). I'm pretty sure... or am I making this up entirely?

Nope... not making it up. Found it -- not on PW, true.

It's your YouTube avatar! I don't know where I got the whole thing about seeing you from the side.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Thank you!!! I'll even get to add another after June 1st!!!

What's the occasion on 6/1? Stay away from that lawn mower!!

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I record many takes of my recital piece, Canon in D. I decide to record over the course of several days and then listen to all the takes and pick the best one. It seems unlikely that any of them will be perfect, so this kind of process gets me something, without the frustration of wanting a perfect take, and falling short time after time.

Great idea! I tried this approach the other day for just a little bit of time and it worked much better than the traditional one-take-at-a-time method.

SwissMS -- Thanks for the kind thoughts on the piano struggles. I like the HS idea as well. I've done that a bit, but not really adopted it as a regular approach. I'll have to try it some more.

Saranoya -- Sorry to hear about your seizure. To me, you are the definition of a "trouper". Keep plugging away!

MaryBee -- Those guys are a lot of fun! Interesting re: the perception of pauses vs. Cheryl. I actually have both directions. My short pauses are not as glaring as I think at the time, but my long pauses last a century.

Cheryl -- Congrats on the improved spousal humming!

warlock -- Congrats on the recital!

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
TallGuy, 6/1 is the NHMTA Honors Recital up at UNH in Bratton Hall. Not sure of the time yet. My guess is around 2pm because it's a Saturday. They are usually at 3pm when on a Sunday. I'll PM you when I know for sure.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
JimF....love the birthday cake!

SwissMS - sounds like your HS approach for the polyphony is paying off. My Grieg piece has a few bars (which are repeated several times) with 3 voices and I'm finding that a challenge to master!

Sand Tiger - great that you took a calming approach to recording your recital submission - I look forward to hearing it.

Dynambot...well, glad you didn't have any slip ups while lowering the lid! That could have been a very sad story indeed. Good luck at your 6/1 recital!

ElleC - there is something especially wonderful about going to a concert when you know how to plan an instrument!

TallGuy - thanks for the Billy Joel clips! I appreciated your pre-viewing commentary. I find it interesting to hear how little his voice has changed over the years.
And..as I said, there are no pics of me on PW smile
You did do your research though smile

Barney - nailing difficult measures is always satisfying! I'm not familiwar with the Reflections piece, I'll have to check it out.

Very nice lesson today --- My teacher had no specific corrections or instructions for Sicilienne, and just pointed out a couple of little things in First Loss. I did some work on a duet (Radetzky March)with a fellow student. We made it through 2 pages (of 5) and didn't do too badly. It was good fun

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Ooops, spoke too soon about the 6/1 Honors recital. Apparently UNH is doing some major power re-boot of their system generator. So, the recital will be held at Seacoast Academy of Music.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dagdvm
[quote=JimF]Warlock - Great job on your first rectal. Don't forget to grab one of those piano icons for your sig line. thumb

Oh my goodness! Do you really have to have a rectal before you can sign up for the recital? I don't think I will be participating any time soon! wink

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! Being a veterinarian, rectals are a frequent part of my day - for the patients, I hasten to add, not for the vets.)

Yikes! Well, Warlock did fine so I'll have to admit this was a slip-o-the-keyboard. Obviously I was thinking of my own first recital, which definitely resembled a rectal...and I was not the vet!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Had my music lesson yesterday and was able to play Chopin Etude Opus 10, No 3 (albeit at half speed at the moment) as it appears in the Alfred's book 2 (only a 1.37 mins).

This was a definite AOTW, as I attempted it about eight weeks ago and could not get past the first measure it was so foreign to me. I was thinking if this is what you have to play in book 2 what is would book 5 to be like (if there was a book 5). So I waited and last week tried again and after much work things clicked into place, wonderful.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
non achievement again - i could not figure out how to convert a video to mp3 again. the old method was to use a free software called Win ff but now it does not seem to work. It appears that it has converted the file to mp3 but it will take me to itune store whenever i click to listen. also my zoom is dying.. perhaps due to frequent fall to the floor, whisked off by my Charlie dog's strong tail.
Prelude file was not usable.. sound was cut off at many parts. fugue was ok - it has lots of charping sound and so on, some issue around syncronization, it says. So I am posting it in my youtube (below) and piano bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-fKOuYmsCU

Last edited by FarmGirl; 05/14/13 09:26 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm sorry, farmgirl frown I'll try to get over to the bar next week - I'm going out of town for my niece's college graduation so I won't get to everything till then.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
MaryBee -- Those guys are a lot of fun! Interesting re: the perception of pauses vs. Cheryl. I actually have both directions. My short pauses are not as glaring as I think at the time, but my long pauses last a century.
But I'm thinking about the intentional pauses, not the ones I do just because I can't figure out the next note! For the intentional ones, I always want to rush them, because I think they're lasting so darn long. But when I go back and listen to them on a recording, I think they could actually stretch out a bit longer. I think I need to get used to what seems to me an "uncomfortable silence".

And..as I said, there are no pics of me on PW smile
I don't know, cas... I seem to remember that you posted photos of a vacation trip you took at one point, with you enjoying a either a glass of wine or delicious meal (or both).

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Page 227 of 540 1 2 225 226 227 228 229 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission