2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 299 of 370 1 2 297 298 299 300 301 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Evening!

Now the most known side of Shostakovich: the waltz from his jazz suite No. 2. This music was used in the last Kubrick film “Eyes Wide Shut”, so surely many of you will recognize it.

Shostakovich was able to compose works with the deepest thoughts, like his piano quintet, but he also could write just lovely music like this little waltz.

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNMaaNG2rA[/video]

Thanks Recaredo - I like Shostakovich too. I think his second piano concerto 2nd mvt is exquisite too.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Greetings everyone! I'm just dropping in briefly. Thanks Recaredo for the lovely music. I've been listening to some music by Sergei Rachmaninoff lately. Here piano virtuoso Arthur Rubinstein performs Rachmaninoff's 18th Variation.

Enjoy! Back to work for me on my Satie piece! wink

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
It's nice to see some more posts in the thread but everyone is obviously still spending more time Satiating their need for practise.

Well, I know how you all feel now. I've just submitted my entry for the ABF recital and what a revelation it has been! Since I agreed to participate in the Mendelssohn recital I thought I ought to have a trial run at this recording business. My experience under the red light was a while ago and under a different sense of pressure as I was multi-tracking on an 8-track setup rather than a solo effort where every off note and nuance screams out in anger.

Working where every take is a 'final effort' has left me exhausted. There were technical problems to contend with also but there's a lasting benefit. I haven't actually listened to my playing for some time - I thought I listened all the time but it seems I don't. I can hear flaws in the recording that I have passed off as 'just that time' but now I have to contend with hearing it every time I listen knowing it's there each time.

I've also overcome the logistical problems (barring some new cabling in the mail) so future recordings will not be so awkward.

I still have some work to finish up after the efforts of the last few days but I expect to start on the Mendelssohn on the 12th, a week later than planned, but with higher expectations of overcoming the logistical problems of recording.

My choices this week are rushed so I don't know how well they'll work together.

I couldn't decide between the Light Cavalry or the Poet and Peasant overtures from Suppé but I've settled for P&P.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Here's a sweet little piece from Debussy to give you a sense of solace on Sunday. I know what's coming so trust me, you'll appreciate this.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
John Rutter wrote much of the material (texts) that I read when studying harmony and tonal composition so I feel an extra emotional attachment to his music, too.

This pieces moves me, I hope it's a similar experience for you.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Gounod's Faust ballet music picks up the pace and the pitch somewhat after the peacefulness of the preceding picks.

Sorry to be slow, my attention is in Abu Dhabi currently.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90

Well, I know how you all feel now. I've just submitted my entry for the ABF recital and what a revelation it has been!

I'll keep a look out for that smile

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Wayne, I think you'll be disappointed. I took advantage of the rules and whilst I played the harmony on the piano I played the melody on the bagpipes!!

A sensational win for Kimi in Abu Dhabi, and a spectacular race.

Well, here we are, at the final part of the selections for the week.

Saint-Saëns is one of those pianists who could sight read pretty much anything but, despite being gifted at the keyboard, wrote very little for it. He wrote some etudes including a set for the left hand. Not spectacularly difficult but as they're for the manus sinistra I'm reminded of his sinister opus.

Don't have nightmares but do have a good week until next week.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You pulling my plonker lol?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What is the point of this thread??

Michael
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
If you have to ask... wink

Richard
Thanks for all the postings Richard - we were listening to different piano versions of the Danse Macabre a few days ago and its a really stirring and descriptive piece.

When we did the Met recordings I was surprised by how much non piano related work was needed - such as getting to grips with technical equipment and locating a good piano to play on. It is a lot of work but I found it ultimately satisfying.
For the Satie, I've found it really enlightening to record my practice runs. Often when I think I've conveyed a particular aspect of the music, I find that in reality it hasn't come across as I'd intended, and I can learn from that.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Yes, I play a lot of the Cramer version of Danse Macabre. I won't be able to finish the Liszt version in my lifetime but I am toying with the idea, now that I've got a handle on the recording issues, of submitting DM in a later ABF recital. I don't know how long it would take to finish it and my plate seems to be filling faster than I can eat!

I've learned a lot already from my Fauré piece. I think my foot got glued to the pedal in one or two places (he says without mentioning the length of those places!) and an ancient digital doesn't convey the problem until you hear the phrasing or lack thereof. I think it may take me a while to sort that out so I'll leave the current submission and hope not too many notice. I think they're kind listeners on ABF recitals! smile

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by cruiser

It's to encourage Cornish posties! laugh

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Richard, I loved Gounod's Faust ballet, great scene! We’ve posted little ballet music, and we should do it more often.

Btw, I’ve also been seeing the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, indeed the race was exciting!

Helen, glad you also like Shostakovich’s music. I think you play the second movement of that piano concerto, am I right?

R
R
Marvelous selections, Richard thumb Thanks so much! John Rutter's Pie Jesu is indeed a touching piece. The starting of Gounod's Faust was perfect to carry through the peaceful mood, but its frightening climax was quite unexpected smile And Danse Macabre was a perfect choice for a dramatic finishing to this week's Sunday Classical programs. Excellent!

Richard, I was so excited to see your entry in this month's ABF recital! I've already had a listen to the piece you've selected, it's a beautiful piece! Can't wait till November 15 to enjoy your performance. Also, it'd be an overwhelming experience how you could manage to play bagpipes with piano, I'm sure Wayne will appreciate it a lot wink laugh

Recaredo, I loved Shostakovich’s Waltz II very much! I was introduced to Shostakovich for the first time by PPP a long time ago, he posted a video on Shostakovich’s use of 'theremin' in his film score. At that time there was quite a bit of discussions on theremin at RST smile

Griffin, Rubinstein's performance of Rachmaninoff's 18th variation is absolutely charming! I don't listen to Rachmaninoff so much because his works seem too difficult for me to understand, but this piece really moved me, for the first time!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cruiser

AHA, you seek a point young sir? I hope you have fortune and much adventure in your quest.

meanwhile as if sharing our music with each other/helping each other out/ having themed recitals/poking fun at pc/ and waynes haunted piano as well as pianistic recipe advice,

as if that wasnt enough for "the thread point" jeez, what do we have to do to please some folk?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Recaredo - yes I've 'played' the 2nd movement of Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto. Its so beautiful and only about grade 6 and quite slow (if it wasn't that level I wouldn't have attempted it)

I'd recommend it to anyone!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Such delightful postings today Richard! I'm only halfway through them, but will be finishing the rest of them later...after I've Satiated a bit more laugh! I'll be checking in later after I've had a chance to practice and get some home chores done. Later!

Carl

Page 299 of 370 1 2 297 298 299 300 301 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission