Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1981259 - 11/01/12 08:21 AM Buying an 1904 Schiedmayer & Sohne ( UPDATE: bought!+pics)
nadi15 Offline

Hi!
So after several months of searching I think I found the right piano, it really wasn't what I had in mind but but it really is a unique and beatiful piano and I wanted to make sure i'm making the right decision before buying.

I'ts a completely restored 1904 Schiedmayer & Sohne upright, 1.48 meters high (about 58'), has a functional lamp, the guy i'm buying it from looks trustworthy, He mostly tunes and fixes pianos but also sales them. it has a really good and resonating sound. the price is about 6000$ (I'm not from the US).

Does this looks like a good deal? Is it really important to hire a technician to look at it before buying?
thanks!

Edited by nadi15 (11/09/12 09:30 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1981265 - 11/01/12 09:02 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see it's a Schiedmayer & Sohne....it looks like a tall piano....yes...very tall....about 59.....no....about 58".....the seller says it's been restored.......but it's unclear if the restoration is complete......my ball is fuzzy on that.....wait....something is showing.....it's scrolling across my ball......

YES, GET A TECHNICIAN TO LOOK AT IT!

#1981307 - 11/01/12 10:55 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
I agree with Bob. Schiedmayer & Soehne built pianos to a high standard but you will need to assess the restoration.

#1981452 - 11/01/12 05:34 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
nadi15 Offline

LOL yes I called the technician today we'll go again next week with him to asses the restoration, He also pointed me out that buying such a big, high and old piano has quite a lot of shortcomings:

-He said that because of it's height and size the sound would take over all of the appartment, and that usually in these pianos the sound is unproportional (low notes too loud, high notes not, I think this it what he ment:] )

-He said that it's harder to maintain it over the years (strings may brake, and then it's a problem).

-In addition, it's not very practical to move, and almost impossible to sale, I don't think this will be an issue, I have no intent of selling it.

And also, because almost all of the parts are replaced, it doesn't really sounds like the way it should be.

Still, I'm not quite convinced and this piano still feels right, do you agree with some of the things he said?

#1981466 - 11/01/12 06:11 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Cornelius Offline

Loc: Stuttgart (Germany)
Hello Nadi15,
if you are not convinced don't buy it, you'll waste your money. About 6.000 $ for a more than 100 year old upright seems to me to be a no brainer. 148 cm tall means: you'll never sell it again.

#1981479 - 11/01/12 06:34 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Don't buy it without having an independent technician look at it. The words "completely restored" mean different things to different people. Also, technicians vary in their skills just like professionals in any field.

You said it 'feels right'. Have you looked at many other pianos? New ones, too?

An old and well-restored vertical could be worth that much, and can have unique things to offer, like their interesting cases. But the quality of restorations varies greatly and so you ought to be cautious.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1981494 - 11/01/12 07:10 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: charleslang]
nadi15 Offline

Originally Posted By: Cornelius
Hello Nadi15,
if you are not convinced don't buy it, you'll waste your money. About 6.000 $ for a more than 100 year old upright seems to me to be a no brainer. 148 cm tall means: you'll never sell it again.

Hi Cornelius,
I ment to say that I am quite convinced to buy it in spite of all the shortcomings the technician said. I do not live in the U.S, this is a different market and compared to other similiar pianos this actually seems like a good deal.

Originally Posted By: charleslang
Don't buy it without having an independent technician look at it. The words "completely restored" mean different things to different people. Also, technicians vary in their skills just like professionals in any field.

You said it 'feels right'. Have you looked at many other pianos? New ones, too?

An old and well-restored vertical could be worth that much, and can have unique things to offer, like their interesting cases. But the quality of restorations varies greatly and so you ought to be cautious.

Hi, and thanks for the good advice. I have looked at many different pianos for several months and this one really attracted me.

Edited by nadi15 (11/01/12 07:13 PM)

#1981627 - 11/02/12 06:24 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Gregor Offline

Loc: Münster, Germany
Originally Posted By: nadi15
I do not live in the U.S, this is a different market

Where do you live and how is the market there?

Gregor

#1981810 - 11/02/12 03:03 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I'd stay away from it.

Strings break but can be replaced.
Uneven sound can be voiced.

But you would need a trustyworthy and highly skilled technician.

You would also need to know exactly what was restored. Is the pinblock new? A 100-year-old pinblock in excellent condition is still very risky. Get a list of everything that was done.

You think you won't sell it, but what if you don't like it after 6 months? What if your family thinks it's too old (or ugly)? What if you need the money and you have to sell everything around you?

#1981908 - 11/02/12 05:53 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: Gregor]
nadi15 Offline

Originally Posted By: Gregor
Where do you live and how is the market there?

I live in Israel, very thin market. Mostly Yamahas here and some new Chinese brands. Tried finding a secend-hand German piano at a good condition which is not too old and fits the budget but it proved nearly impossible...
So I gave up and became interested in this restored piano that We actually really really liked.

Anyway, thanks for all of the the advices, now I realize better the risks involved in buying a restored piano, and will definitely take it under consideration next time I'll go to him with a technician and make a final desicion:) perhaps it'll still be worth it, there were really few pianos that I got exited about like this one

#1981914 - 11/02/12 06:14 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
good luck with your decision.. 58' is VERY tall. smile

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1981945 - 11/02/12 07:29 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: nadi15
-He said that because of it's height and size the sound would take over all of the appartment, and that usually in these pianos the sound is unproportional (low notes too loud, high notes not, I think this it what he ment:] )

-He said that it's harder to maintain it over the years (strings may brake, and then it's a problem).

-In addition, it's not very practical to move, and almost impossible to sale, I don't think this will be an issue, I have no intent of selling it.

And also, because almost all of the parts are replaced, it doesn't really sounds like the way it should be.

My responses to these points:
1) yes, a large piano will (or at least should be expected to) have a larger tonal potential than a small one. Too much sound for an apartment? Maybe, but pianos can also be played softly... The sound should not be unproportional in a larger piano. Even in a concert grand the treble needs to be able to hold its own to the bass.

2)Strings can break on any piano, regardless of size. If this one is restored, it presumably has new strings which will last for decades. The same goes for new hammers and felts.

3)Harder to move - He has a point there, but hopefully it will be a one-time (or at least rare) occurrence.

4) If all the parts were replaced, it should sound "the way it should be". Pianos with parts that are 100 years old are the ones which don't "sound like it should be".

Perhaps this technician is only comfortable working on new pianos, preferably under 120 cm tall. In that case you may want to look around for a technician who admires and enjoys working on large, more vintage instruments.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1984563 - 11/09/12 09:28 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: Supply]
nadi15 Offline

Update: after the technician approved, we decided to buy it.
It arrived today and I'm very happy with it:).
It has a deep tone and looks beautiful at our house. thanks for the help!

#1984568 - 11/09/12 09:48 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
That is a very beautiful and unique looking piano. When was the case refinished? Although internet pictures sometimes hide finish flaws, it looks in very excellent condition.

#1984586 - 11/09/12 10:52 AM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: pianoloverus]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
In general I "hate" old uprights because they remind me of the ones in my Sunday school classes 60+ years ago...old even then, totally uncared for, never tuned, poorly painted pastel colors, with dirty and broken ivories, and miserable to play on or listen to.

But yours is a gem. Really a beauty. I know you'll enjoy it.

#1984762 - 11/09/12 07:40 PM Re: buying an 1904 restored Schiedmayer & Sohne upright [Re: nadi15]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
That piano looks stunning. If it plays half as nicely as it looks, I'm sure you'll be really happy with it laugh
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
Today at 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Buying a Grand Paino Sight-Unseen - my personal experience.
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (Anne H, Anticlock, Adypiano, angga888, 21 invisible), 1508 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158628 Topics
2329757 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission