Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1981907 - 11/02/12 05:52 PM Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I think I've read that Chopin didn't intend for his Etudes or Preludes to be played as an entire set and that this was rarely done in the 19th century. OTOH both sets of Etudes and the Preludes seem to be very carefully arranged and IMO work very well when played as a set.

So why did Chopin seemingly order these so carefully if in fact he didn't want them played as a set?

Edited by pianoloverus (11/02/12 06:42 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1981927 - 11/02/12 06:36 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
You would have to ask him to be certain, but I suspect it was to make them easier to sell as sheet music.

#1981944 - 11/02/12 07:26 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
He seems to have intended at least some of them to be played in order... cf. the attacca at the end at the end of Op 10 #3...

#1981986 - 11/02/12 09:46 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
This might seem like one of those distinctions that isn't a distinction, but I'd put it a little differently. I don't think it's that he didn't intend them to be played as sets, but that he didn't intend them necessarily to be played as sets. I think he certainly didn't intend that they shouldn't be played as sets.

But be that as it may smile here's my main answer, at least for the Etudes and to some extent for the Preludes as well. Most people seem to assume that the Etudes are (of course) studies in playing the piano. I think Chopin viewed them at least equally, and I'd guess more so, as compositional studies -- demonstrations of composing great music involving and displaying specific challenges, sometimes technical but sometimes not exactly, but so emphatically musical and creative that playing and understanding the pieces well involves far more than the 'etud-ish' challenges.

If Chopin viewed them so, then I think it's close to axiomatic that he'd view the ordering of the pieces as part of the compositional challenge, and actually part of the inspiration and concept of each next piece. Or maybe it's clearer if we put it the second part as sort of a double-negative: if indeed he viewed the pieces as I'm saying, he obviously wouldn't have then ordered them randomly or haphazardly, because if a great and brilliant composer (or any other kind of creator or artist) is approaching the units of a set creatively and artistically, he's absolutely not going to forget about creativity and artistry in how he orders them.

#1982008 - 11/02/12 11:00 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
It was, and is, quite common for composers to work on pieces out of order having sketched out a plan for the set, but it's true that the performance practice didn't really call for performances of complete sets of anything. It's worth remembering how much it has actually changed over the years. "Encore" originally comes from the French word "again" - and was a direction to the performers to play that movement again!

#1982019 - 11/02/12 11:55 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
WhoDwaldi Offline

Doing recordings of complete sets of things must be murder, because your prestissimos better be faster than your mere presto agitatos, or some jerk listening with the score will get snippy about it. smile

#1982060 - 11/03/12 05:15 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: WhoDwaldi]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: WhoDwaldi
Doing recordings of complete sets of things must be murder, because your prestissimos better be faster than your mere presto agitatos, or some jerk listening with the score will get snippy about it. smile

Wow, you really are hard on the jerks there.....

#1982349 - 11/03/12 07:20 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I never read that Chopin 'intended' his opp.10/25/28 to be executed in any specific way what so ever, so what is the fuss about? Nowadays it seems to be normal practice to play either 24 as a concertpiece, probably not in his time, but what's against playing the entire WTK, though Bach never might have 'intended' it to be played as such, but now we find it quite normal and we, 'moderns' are able to enjoy it may be more than his contemporaries?

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1983103 - 11/05/12 04:06 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
If this is any help, as most of you know Chopin arranged his Preludes as a nod to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. As for the etudes, just FYI, op 10 was published originally in two different books, six etudes to a book. which could be purchased separately. Don't know about op 25.

#1983105 - 11/05/12 04:09 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: Mark_C]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Most people seem to assume that the Etudes are (of course) studies in playing the piano. I think Chopin viewed them at least equally, and I'd guess more so, as compositional studies --

thumb

That's been my feeling, that their composition was as much a study for Chopin as a composer as the execution of them was for the student/performer.

#1983118 - 11/05/12 04:40 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
BDB Offline

For learning technique, the Preludes are probably better etudes than the Etudes. How many of you have played through all of them?

#1983123 - 11/05/12 04:54 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: BDB]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BDB
For learning technique, the Preludes are probably better etudes than the Etudes. How many of you have played through all of them?

I see what you're saying, but just because something is difficult doesn't mean it should be called an etude. Should his Ballades and Scherzi be called etudes too? Obviously if you want to get into semantics and point out that 'etude' literally means 'study' in french, you could argue that every piece of music in the world is an etude since you are studying it while you learn it.

#1983140 - 11/05/12 05:27 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: dolce sfogato]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
... but what's against playing the entire WTK, though Bach never might have 'intended' it to be played as such ...

Was not the whole point of the WTK that all of the pieces could be played consecutively without having to retune the instrument?

#1983142 - 11/05/12 05:30 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
in a way, yes, to demonstrate that the new way of tuning opened up the possibility to go through all keys, not meaning to do it in one session, but what the heck?

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1983147 - 11/05/12 05:47 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: the nosy ape]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: the nosy ape
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
... but what's against playing the entire WTK, though Bach never might have 'intended' it to be played as such ...

Was not the whole point of the WTK that all of the pieces could be played consecutively without having to retune the instrument?
I don't think so.

I'm under the impression that many of the more remote keys were simply not used at all until the newer tuning conventions allowed for that possibility. I don't think there was any intent on Bach's part for performing a huge chunk or all of these pieces at one concert. This is more the result of the fairly recent fashion to perform huge chunks of repertoire.

I'm certainly open to opposing opinions here.

#1983265 - 11/06/12 12:06 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: -Frycek]
BDB Offline

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
If this is any help, as most of you know Chopin arranged his Preludes as a nod to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. As for the etudes, just FYI, op 10 was published originally in two different books, six etudes to a book. which could be purchased separately. Don't know about op 25.

The Op. 28 Preludes seem to have been published in two separate books, too.

#1983269 - 11/06/12 12:34 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: BDB]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California

At university I learned all the Preludes at my teacher's behest. Not that I could actually play them.

Originally Posted By: mazurkajoe
I see what you're saying, but just because something is difficult doesn't mean it should be called an etude. Should his Ballades and Scherzi be called etudes too? Obviously if you want to get into semantics and point out that 'etude' literally means 'study' in french, you could argue that every piece of music in the world is an etude since you are studying it while you learn it.

I think BDB makes a valid point. The Preludes are more etude-like than, say, the collection of Brahms's short pieces. Many of them consist of a single pattern requiring or inculcating a certain dexterity. Some isolate and present a musical problem, such as playing nothing but unison broken chords and keeping it interesting, or playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

#1983275 - 11/06/12 01:19 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: Ferdinand]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
....playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

ha ha ha

You must have smiled smile over that, and wondered if others would too. I did -- but I wouldn't have if not for the "so to speak." ha

#1983280 - 11/06/12 01:40 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: Ferdinand]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
or playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

no. 5?

#1983287 - 11/06/12 03:05 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: pianoloverus]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Thanks for the reminder about the Chopin Opus 28 Preludes

Am reminded that I had played the lot with the exception of no. 24 Allegro appassionato which had never been completed, having always “bitten me on the bum”.

Am presently making amends ... but am breaking my left hand galloping up and down while the RH has a field day with the melody ... but my, oh my ... what about m14 where Chopin dazzles the peasants with an arpeggiated upward run of 28 notes in 2 seconds flat.

ps Most of us will have put a toe in the water with the 28/4
Largo ... with all 25 measures squeezed onto a single page.

Think I’ll get out my golf clubs ... more chance of success.

#1983600 - 11/06/12 11:43 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: JoelW]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
or playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

no. 5?

I was thinking of no. 15. The repeated A flat or G sharp is not literally constant through the entire piece, but almost.

#1983639 - 11/07/12 02:54 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: Ferdinand]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

no. 5?

I was thinking of no. 15. The repeated A flat or G sharp is not literally constant through the entire piece, but almost.

Yes, and it is a real shame when you want to play that prelude and that key happens to be a bit sluggish due to humidity. I have been told it is one of the most prone to become sluggish?

Music is my best friend.

#1983661 - 11/07/12 04:30 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: BDB]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I have, a few times. And although I wouldn't say that taken as a whole they are better etudes than the etudes, I think some of them are very good as etudes, and seem as if Chopin may have had some pronounced etude-like thoughts while composing them.

Other composers' preludes sometimes seem that way too - many of the preludes of Scriabin and Rachmaninoff can double as etudes quite nicely, for example.

#1983669 - 11/07/12 05:06 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: ChopinAddict]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Yes, and it is a real shame when you want to play that prelude and that key happens to be a bit sluggish due to humidity. I have been told it is one of the most prone to become sluggish?

Dampp-Chaser

#1983764 - 11/07/12 01:17 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: ChopinAddict]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC

no. 5?

That sounds odd. Who told you that and what explanation was given for why one particular key "is one of the most prone to become sluggish"?

Regards,

#1983788 - 11/07/12 02:02 PM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: BruceD]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average." Not quite as strong as my assertion above, but it is still "possible".

Music is my best friend.

#1984006 - 11/08/12 04:59 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: -Frycek]
piette Offline

Loc: Durham, United Kingdom

Only the English and German first editions published Op. 10 as two different books; the French first edition published it as one book.

#1984015 - 11/08/12 05:41 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: piette]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: piette

Only the English and German first editions published Op. 10 as two different books; the French first edition published it as one book.

Interesting to know. Thanks!

#1984053 - 11/08/12 08:36 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average."....

Are you sure he/she was talking generally, rather than specifically about your piano? Like, maybe there was something about that particular flange (which would be my guess).

BTW I'm talking about this without having the slightest idea what a flange is....and I don't mean that you have to tell me. smile

#1984084 - 11/08/12 09:48 AM Re: Ordering of the Chopin Etude and Preludes [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average."....

Are you sure he/she was talking generally, rather than specifically about your piano? Like, maybe there was something about that particular flange (which would be my guess).

BTW I'm talking about this without having the slightest idea what a flange is....and I don't mean that you have to tell me. smile

It certainly sounds to me as though the tuner were referring to the particular piano in question, rather than to all pianos in general. I find it hard to grasp that all pianos suffer from this (unresolved) issue. Certainly I've never encountered it on any pianos I have ever played.

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (36251, accordeur, aesop, anamnesis, 30 invisible), 1454 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156860 Topics
2304849 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
Today at 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
Today at 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
Today at 07:39 AM
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission